- Having successfully captured assets for NAR, Aralakh was finally released on so-so terms. Their most pressing concern was treating Drevan's injuries, so they took their chances staying in-system and going to the hospital. The company repaired what they could, but were short on supplies.
- A few months later, they jumped back into Free Worlds space to a more populous planet where they were hoping to repair and resupply. On their way in-system, however, they picked up a distress call from a merc dropship in orbit around one of the system's planet's moons.
- In exchange for the distressed company's remaining liquid assets, Aralakh agreed to get the company's surviving units out of trouble on the planet. They made a few low-passes in the target area before directing the survivors to a promising LZ northwest of their position.
- While the survivors continued to fight off the pursuit mechs that had been hunting them for the past few days, Aralakh attempted to clear the landing site - which, unfortunately, contained a hostile presence formidable in the face of Aralakh's severely-damaged condition...
|Sunday June 18, 2017 at 8:30pm||little fears, the dark spiral, game session notes, trogland||Comments (0) »|
- Dee Dee, Lexi, Sheri, Mandy (and her little brother Mace) made a new friend on their neighborhood playground - a boy about their age who was new in their part of town.
- While playing tag, they realized too late that this boy didn't know something: you do NOT go down the old, metal, spiral slide on the edge of the playground unless someone is waiting for you at the bottom - if you do, you don't come out. The slide takes you to the Bogeyman's dungeon - where you stay until he eats you.
- As the new kid dove into the slide while running from Mace, they saw dozens of gnarled claws reach out and snatch him out of this reality.
- Mandy's mother took the children back to her house for their sleepover, but something dark was following them, and stephen seemed to be calling to them from wherever he was taken. Shadows of goblins harassed and grabbed at them in the basement, and the girls ended up huddled in Mandy's room - slowly falling asleep.
- They found themselves next in a shared dream, at the base of the slide, before a yawning maw of a hole with a rickety wooden stairway. From its depths, they heard a muffled cry and a malicious laugh...
Adam is joining our game, and we spent this evening making two PCs for him to add to Tim's company: an experienced former House Regular who pilots a 45-ton Assassin, and a newbie Noble who has a 65-ton Crusader.
These characters will a fragment of a decimated merc unit looking to join up with someone else - and Aralakh will be the convenient choice. They will be bringing their 'mechs as well as a beat-up Union dropship into the company's assets.
- Drevan's strike team invaded the dropship. They sustained some casualties, but were ultimately successful in capturing the ship, as well as the damaged Hatchetman in contained, and the two incapacitated Jenners outside - making for a pretty respectable salvage haul.
Continued playtesting on personal scale combat this session. How I ran the session aside, the system behaved well and played out the way I would want. That said, it's a little bit too clunky and I think I'm going to make a few more tweaks to it.
- Piper and Ganthet found themselves amidst a murden raid on the village of Urnmoll, also involving a large, crab-like, mechanical contraption smashing its way through the village. The murden were eventually driven off, and the robot, after sustaining some damage, folded itself into a small sphere. The two considered making a break out of town, but decided to stay to see what they could learn.
- Ronin found his way out of the cave he and his friends had originally entered and decided to continue through the mountains toward the village. On his way, he began to perceive a beckoning presence which led him to a small, glowing cave. Upon seeing his reflection in a pool, he became aware that he was no longer alone in his head.
- Helios and Naran fought with the aquatic predators, attempting to drive them off. Naran found her way into one of the boats and was brought back to the town built on the ruins protruding from the lake, but Helios had dived back into the water in an attempt to find one of the missing villagers. About the time Naran realized Helios had not come back, she was grabbed from behind - and found a knife at her throat...
- NAR continued the defense of their compound, eventually destroying 3 out of 4 of the attacking units - unfortunately causing two of them to catastrophically explode, leaving no usable salvage for the Resistance. Hopefully Aralakh's attempts to capture the attackers' drop ship produces a more tangible gain...
Adam continued this encounter with us, and will likely be joining this game on an ongoing basis.
|Tuesday May 30, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin awoke, alive but debilitated and surrounded by silver insectoid creatures. Over the next day or so, he made his way back out of the ruin, slowly recovering strength. During this time, he noticed that patches of his skin all over his body had been replaced by red scales.
- Ganthet spoke with the apparent leader of the village of Urnmoll, a woman Seluxii. Her suspicion of his activities in the region seemed to increase as he answered her questions with partial-truths.
- Piper spoke with the old woman for a while, learning that the town's water-producing artifact had recently ceased functioning, and that many in town were worried.
- Naran and Helios toppled from their perch above the rushing river when the bird-man from the previous world followed them through into this one, sending all three of them into the river and over a tremendous waterfall.
- Ronin reached the cave in which the group took shelter from the glass storm, and found himself attacked by a black puddle - apparently the remnants of the tentacled creature that had previously harassed them.
- The relative peace of Urnmoll was suddenly disturbed by shouts, screams, and mechanical pounding and whirring coming from one corner. Piper was ambushed by some form of avian humanoid, and Seluxii left Ganthet apparently trapped in a room with a vanishing doorway.
- Naran and Helios found what appeared to be a fishing town built on partiall-submerged ruins in the valley into which they'd been deposited. As they swam for the approaching boats, they were attacked by some sort of aquatic reptile...
- Using assets "borrowed" from Aralakh, NAR attempts to fight off the mercenary lance sent to destroy them while Aralakh furthers its efforts to capture the merc's Union. The Resistance managed to take out the crippled mercenary Clint and the enemy Whitworth has virtually no armor remaining, but Aralakh's Warhammer is severely battered and the Trebuchet is now out of missles...
Adam joined us for this session, so we decided to play out the latter half of the previously "off-camera" engagement of mercs vs. NAR in order to introduce him to the defining mech combat aspect of our Battletech campaign. After this encounter resolves, we will return to Aralakh's attempts to capture the dropship, which have now moved into the personal-scale boarding of the vessel.
Or "Why Do All Photo Editors Suck?"
Similar to a previous post, the above is a screenshot showing a RAW preview and an exported JPG of inferior quality - only this time, it's in Adobe Lightroom.
Isn't the point of a photo editor to tweak photos to the point that they're "perfect"? If what I'm seeing in the editor is not what I'm going to actually get, the thing is utterly useless.
So, apologies to Canon, I guess - it's not DPP necessarily, it's probably everything.
Question: Why is it so impossible to simply get a JPG that looks identical to a RAW preview.
If it's not impossible, what hoops do I have to jump through (and, just as importantly, why)?
- Naran and Helios continued fractured communication with the birdman, who seemed intent upon fixing some part of the inner workings of the tower and/or island, and reacted negatively toward any action they took that might even superficially damage it. Deciding there was nothing remaining for them in that place, they made their way back to the book Naran had previously found, using its viewport to travel to the world on the other side.
- Ganthet and Piper made their way through the ruin to the lowest exit they could find. Waiting till dark, they lowered the power core before descending themselves. Concerned over what the townfolk might say if they were found with the artifact, the two hid it in a cleft of rock nearby. As they approached the only way out of the rocky depression, Ganthet was spotted by the two guardsmen and taken down to the village - Piper followed along behind.