We spent most of the day at the First Annual Appalachian Renaissance Festival in Piney Flats. It was fairly small, but a great start - and the Lords of Chivalry put on an enjoyable show, as always. We met some friends there, looked at the booths, watched a couple of shows, saw the joust, and Hannah got to shoot a bow. She and Micah had a good time as well. We'll probably be back next year.
Edit: Posted a bunch of photos from our time at the event here. Lords of Chivalry actually asked if they could share some on their page, which was cool.
- As they made planetfall, Aralakh was briefed on their objective: they would be entering a sector of an urban industrial area looking for targets. Any supply depots were to be held until they could be cleaned out. Production, research, and repair facilities were to be destroyed to cripple the Capellan war effort in this region. Resistance was expected to be light to moderate; mech forces were known to be on-planet, but probably not in large numbers. As they approached the edge of the city, engagements had already begun elsewhere. Thus far, resistance was a bit more than anticipated, but not problematically so. They were also warned of incoming contacts to their position, and that guerrilla forces had been observed.
- In their initial advance, Aralakh located a factory and a munitions depot, destroyed a 20-ton Stinger and a building concealing a laser weapon, and maimed a retreating tank.
|Monday October 2, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet continued deeper into the wreck they were exploring, coming upon a processing bank of some kind. While scavenging for parts, the scattered debris began assembling itself into towering construct which assualted them. A purplish, tentacled creature then approached them, finally convincing Ronin to take a bite from its bread-like outer flesh. Consuming this part of the creature seemed to sate it in some way, but Ronin the last hour or so of his memory replaced by a scene of burning wreckage.
- As the caravan awaited inspection outside the city, Piper witnessed an heated exchange between the town guard and a well-armored woman who'd flown up to the city on a large, reptilian creature. The Xi-drake seemed able to see Piper, and made some movement toward her as if to investigate until the disagreement at the gate became physical. An Aeon Priest arrived on the scene and had some success diffusing the situation. The caravan was permitted entry, but Piper decided to stay and listen to the conversation between the priest and the Angulan knight. Apparently, she had come from Dynafel in search of a varjellan fugitive.
- Naran proceeded through the village after the spick whom she'd been sent to assist by the old woman. The two of them dove into a large circular pool and made for a metal artifact protruding from its center - apparently the source of the painful pulses that were emanating through the settlement. After some doing, the two were able to stop the pulses by more fully activating the device, which was now firing a bright blue beam up into the sky.
- Helios, meanwhile, took a small boat out of the village to the south and was gathering red flowers for the old woman when he noted some bubbles in the water moving in his direction. As he was rowing himself back to the village, a massive, plant-like creature erupted from the water and began flailing about. The creature made his escape difficult, but he ultimately returned with the needed blooms. The woman mixed into the concoction she was making, loaded it into a strange, gun-like device, which she handed to Helios - sending him and a strange girl into the swamp to the south, telling him they must put the "Leviathan" back to sleep...
- Aralakh met up with the so-called "Capellan Insurgency" holding their crew members hostage. The situation clearly being under their foes control, the company decided to go through with paying the ransom after ensuring their crew would be returned and they could all walk away.
- After resolving that situation, the various merc companies being employed by the FWLM forces were briefed on their mission: they would be lifted to the Yunnah system where they would be looking to destroy newly-developed research and repair facilities on a backwater world 2 jumps into Capellan space.
|Tuesday September 26, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios continued south along the waterway, eventually arriving in Quei after a brief encounter with some gate-keeping automatons in the canyon. The town occupied a series of docks and platforms suspended over a swamp. The townsfolk were less than helpful, but the two eventually found their way to The River's cave, where she immediately set them to work on some seemingly-urgent task with no explanation.
- Ronin and Ganthet rested, further discussed their next action, and spoke with Vlorrex. They decided their best bet was the power core they'd stashed outside of Urnmoll, and if Vlorrex could cobble together some form of null-gravity cypher to make transportation easier, they could probably managed to get it out of town. Vlorrex then sent them out into the wreck to scavenge for parts where they came upon some sort of lab containing large tanks of reddish liquid and a mass of malfunctioning, mechanical manipulator arms.
- Piper survived the explosion but found that she had somehow become invisible and insubstantial. No one was able to hear or see her, and interacting with objects had become difficult. The caravan reassembled after the ordeal, made camp, and spent a considerable about of time scavenging the remains of the beast and the Hearth before setting out early the following morning. Piper decided to continue on with the caravan and, after about another day an a half, they all arrived at the gates of Rarmon.
|Tuesday September 19, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios spoke with their otter-man friend again as they rested in preparationg to dive into the 'forbidden waters' in search of a way to access a starship they'd been told of by The Sisters. He showed them a book he'd taken from a fallen Yefort raider - one that contained a black view-panel like Helios' "broken" volume. He suggested they go to Quei and talk to "The River".
- Ronin and Ganthet explored the vault-lined hallway connected to the cargo hold of the small crafted they'd found within the wrecked carrier. Among other things, they found a small by exceedingly heavy coin, a jacket and some wood and metal staves, and a strange rectangular book containing a viewport overlooking a rock-lined pool in a redwood forest.
- Lengthy discussions on next moves insued.
|Monday September 11, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Agan emerged from the crowd around Naran and Helios, claiming they had brought ruin to the village and accusing Eufren of aiding in the destruction. When it became apparent public opinion was going south and Agan and his henchment wished to do them harm, Helios pried up some floorboards inside the central ruin and the two escaped by diving into the waters beneath and swimming out. At Helios' direction, they made for the woodlands containing the otter-man's home.
- While Ronin and Vlorrex attempted to activate the consoles to reconstruct the nejavin's body, Ganthet took a look around in the surrounding chambers, and found they were directly above a massive bay containing some sort of space-faring craft. When Ronin engaged the final switch to activate the equipment, a short set off a power surge in the craft accompanied by a dramatic shift, which pitched the vessel downward a further 20 degrees. Making their way to the craft bay once the floors stilled and the nejavin's head was once again reunited with its body, the trio made their way into the ship they had found within the ruin. It contained a control room in near-perfect condition, obviously-nonhuman crew quarters, some unusually empty pods, and a large hold with a loading door open to a large hall lined with vaults...
- As the Centurion joined them, the company took a quick look at the destoyed tanks. Finding nothing salvageable, they decided to withdraw and chalk up the win instead of pressing their luck by assaulting the compound in the mountains above.
- Short on funds, the company sent a priority message to their next prospective employer, a FWLM division, saying that if they would spot them the c-bills, they could take it out of their paycheck. After some brief negotiation, they agreed.
- Aralakh arrived at a military base on the world of Ohrensen some weeks later. They were advised to stay on the base as the city outside was known to have some problematic criminal elements. Their ship's crew, however, wanted to take the leave while they could get it, and convinced them to go into town.
- The evening went well for most of them, but a few disappeared as the night wore on - only reappearing later in hostage photos of the so-called "Capellan Insurgency", delivered to the base with a demand for ransom. The irate sergeant told the company to "handle this" or their contract would be terminated.
- Meanwhile, Rip arrived at Galatea and met with Magistrate Brandt about the dispensation of liquid assets from the defunct Buller company. While not a negotiator by nature, Rip managed to dig up a few pieces of info that helped his cause, and ultimately left the meetings 1.75 million c-bills richer.
|Tuesday August 29, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet followed the nejavin's head to the wrecked craft wedged into giant crack where the mountain had split open. They navigated its interior until they found the place where the creature's body had been trapped. On the way, they encountered a colony of mouse-like creatures which seemed to take some interest in them - until they reached a room with strange puddle of a viscous, acrid substance and some rotting, tentacle-like appendages protruding from it. They glitterbombed the room with a detonation Ganthet had been carrying and hurried through. When they reached their destination, they found the nejavin's body separated into several pieces and suspended in the air, but apparently functioning as though it were still whole.
- Naran and Helios met with The Sisters who told them of a craft in planetary orbit that might be able to return them to their homeworld - and also that a means to reach it might be found in the "forbidden waters" of the valley outside the village. The two were then presented with a small, translucent cube and told that it would be necessary if they wished to use the spacecraft, but when Naran took the device, the Sisters vanished and their chamber transformed from the white stone building it had been to a plain, sandstone ruin that more closely resembled the rest of the village. When they emerged, they found Eufren wide-eyed and demanding to know what they had done...
- Piper and one of the hunters attempted to destroy the rampaging beast with a cannon-like numenera device the caravan had been carrying, but it malfunctioned after discharging only twice, though that was sufficient to attract the creature's attention, and it smashed into the wagon - splintering the vehicle and sending the device flying. Seeing their one method of injuring the creature lost, the hunter retreated, but Piper had another idea. Short-circuiting the damaged artifact and bypassing its power regulators, she caused it begin building up a catastrophic charge. With the help of some others nearby, she loaded it onto a wagon and shoved the unstable device toward the monster as the others fled. The resulting explosion was more powerful than she had anticipated, however, and ripped through the beast, the landscape, and the remainder of the camp before she had time to react...
- After a couple of months of rests and repairs, the group sends Rip to Galatea to pursue his share of the defunct Buller Company's liquid assets. Needing to replace their lost unit, the company decides to pursue Jyun's suggestion of travelling to Phact where he happened to know of a Centurion posted just for show.
- On arriving in-system, the plan was to use a small mech force to draw out the compound's conventional defense forces while Jyun and a small contingent approached stealthily on foot to climb into and steal the mech.
- The tank forces Aralakh's Panther and Assassin encountered were more competent than expected, and they took some significant damage before they could adjust their tactics.
- On visual, Jyun was surprised to find someone preparing to take the Centurion down to engage in the ongoing battle - and moreso that he was speaking to the pilot of the Whitworth standing across from it. Knowing that these pilots would not only keep them from acquiring the Centurion according to their plan but would also be seriously bad news for the battle raging below, Jyun and his companions opened-fire on them.
- After quickly felling the pilots with some fortunate shots, Jyun ran for the Centurion, activated, and escaped with it - though not before losing an arm and his heavy weapon to AC/10 fire from the compound's turrets.
- By the time he met up with his companions' units below, the Panther and Assassin had gained ground and the tanks had withdrawn. Though they took some pretty significant damage, the mission was overall a solid success - their first in some time.