|Monday August 21, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- Naran and Helios helped defend the village of Mekel against the raiders and their presence now seems to be generally accepted by most of the settlement. Eufren suggested that they speak to The Sisters, who they're told are leaders of the community.
- Ronin and Ganthet managed to force the murden to retreat further up and in to the nest. While Ganthet watched for a coming ambush, Ronin freed the skull-like creature who told them of the ruined craft further up into the mountains which the murden had been scavenging.
- The caravan Piper was accompanying arrived at a waypoint with a large crystal that radiated significant heat. As camp setup was completing, she left the site with a few scouts who found a small caffa swarm and decided to go hunt for goldgleam. As they were heading back, however, they became aware of a huge creature terrorizing the encampment...
|Monday August 14, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet set off to find the murden. The hike up into the mountains was arduous, but eventually lead them to a small plateau tucked into the cliffs where they found dozens of rough columns of various diameters but all about 75 feet tall. Between the columns were stretched various hides and insect carapaces, forming a sort of multi-leveled nest. They approached to attempt to speak with the abhumans, but were ultimately ambushed when they entered the area.
- Piper had some time to rest and was eventually retrieved by a humanoid that had sets of tentacles in place of arms. He lead her from the room...and that was the last thing she remembers of that place. The next thing she recalls is being awakened by a group of travellers atop a column-like structure somewhere in the south of the Pytharon Empire - a name she happens to recognize as being a kingdom in the Steadfast, which lies across the Black Riage and hundreds of miles from her home.
- Helios attempted to communicate with the otter-man who had invited him in, but didn't have much luck. The creature's responses were unintelligible and somewhat odd. Eventually he fell asleep, only to awaken a short time later with the otter-man standing over him. He then began asking Helios questions, apparently in The Truth(?), about where he came from and what he would do. When Helios told him he was trying to find his friend and return to their home planet, the creature took him to Mekel - which was under attack.
- Naran spoke for some time to Eufren and Motof about the books, the planet they're on, and the surrounding area, before an alarm from somewhere in the village startled her hosts. Racing outside, they found much of the settlement already in flames as a raiding party from the nearby, sinking village of Yefort descended upon the town...
This is a new game we put together for my brother-in-law Michael. He wants to run a Fate game himself, but is having a difficult time getting people together. Also, while he's read the book, he wanted to see how it plays out at the table.
We had already decided on a "traditional" fantasy genre, but we set up the remaining game aspects collaboratively as suggested by the Fate Core rulebook. What we came up with was a high fantasy setting, based on a lost civilzation, where magic is being corrupted and the PCs need to find out why - or at least how and stop it.
[Michael] Jace - Soldier without a Kingdom
[Jese] Cassia - Quick-witted Huntress
[Sheri] Talia - Itinerant Historian
[Tony] Cooper - Acquisitions Expert for the Second Dawn
The group heard rumors of a cult that was speeding the corruption of magic in the world - and that they might be based in the ruin of a small keep in a forest some distance to the south. Upon arriving, they were met by a group of goblins fleeing from an angry ghost. Cassia was able to catch one of them and get from it that they were working for a sorceror, mining gold beneath the keep. Goblins inside the structure itself were more hostile than terrified, however, and the group had to fight two of them off before they could proceed deeper into the ruin...
- While the two stranded 'mechs managed to escaped their pursuers and made for the designated LZ, Aralakh's desperate bid to clear the zone for the battered dropship took a turn for the worse. As damage mounted, Steiner attempted to intimidate the opposing units into surrunder, but they knew they had the upper hand. Riley's Trebuchet sustained critical damage to the reactor core - which exploded catastrophically - and Jyun's Panther took some unfortunate leg hits which all but remove it from the field. Fortunately, the forced-retreat of one of the Clints and the massive damage the enemy Archer had taken were enough for the opposing force to reconsider the assault and withdraw.
- Aftermath: Riley's Trebuchet was a total loss, though Riley herself was able to survive the incident (albiet in poor spirits). Steiner is having some growing doubts about the viability of the merc company long-term. That said, the beneficiaries of their rescue have brought a Union dropship to Aralakh, as well as a Crusader and an Assassin with their pilots and techs. In light of this, the company has decided to release the Leopard from their service on good terms. They are now going to spend some time resting and repairing before taking on a new contract.
|Monday August 7, 2017 at 8:00am||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Through some cleverness and good fortune, Ronin was able disuade Seluxii from pushing them out of the village of Urnmoll. The group of them proceeded to have a conversation about recent events and the party's goals (hopefully without giving too much away). The key points discussed were the murden that raided the village and (likely unintentionally) summoned the craft that took Piper, and a man said to be the foremost expert on power supplys residing in the steadfast. After a rest, Ronin and Ganthet decided to go after the murden in hopes that they can learn something of what happened to their friend.
- Unable to find a suitably hidden location in the floating village, Helios decided to swim to a wooded shore to the north. There he found an otter-like humanoid who invited(?) him into its dwelling for food and rest.
- Naran used her cutting light to stab at the octopoidal creature pursuing them while she and the boy escaped the remaining distance to the surface - which turned out to be under some section of the floating settlement. He led her to a building where another man was apparently waiting for them. The man gave Naran some sort of potion that rendered her unconscious, but when she awoke, she found she could speak to and understand them. She was in a village called Mekel, and the man's name was Eufren. He seemed very interested in the fact that she was an outsider and where she came from. He told her that their ancestors had once traveled between worlds very easily, but he didn't know how they had done it. Naran's stories about the books that had transported her and her friend fascinated him.
- Piper decided to spend some time attempting to repair her burned-out headband artifact while waiting to see what would happen next. After several hours, she was interrupted and lead (apparently) out of the craft she was in and into some other structure. There, she was taken to a massive chamber where several entities locked deep within some sort of crystal asked her a myriad of questions about herself and her world. Her responses were clever and informative, and so The Seven (as they called themselves) took a particular interest in her. After some time, they suggested that they would speak more, but that she and they required rest...
|Tuesday July 25, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Multiple drones and automatons (or possibly, armored entities) emerged from the cylindrical craft and began a sort of harvest of the surrounding village. Using stunning and tranquilizing weaponry, they subdued Piper and Ganthet, though only the former was actually taken.
- Helios made a quick exit from the chamber where the robotic entity was tending to the thirsty machine. He hadn't made it very far when he heard the sounds of the reptilian cats pursuing him. Upon reaching the pool where he'd entered, he once again encountered a strange, hovering being with heavy robes and one large, mechanical eye. It asked several questions of him before sinking back into the pool.
- Naran resisted the octopoidal creature's pushing for her to use the linking book it was presenting to her, and after it left in frustration, attempted to swim to freedom. The distance and pressure of the water soon proved too much, however. Fortunately, she found another "pocket" of air near the point where panic was starting to set in, and managed to reach it before blacking out.
- Aboard the craft, Piper suddenly found herself in her room back in Arable - or, at least, a very close approximation. The door and window were impassible and everything felt slightly "off". She was missing any functioning cyphers or artifacts that appeared technological, but otherwise seemed unharmed.
- Helios leapt into the pool after the his questioner, and began swimming "down" and away from the cat likely still pursuing him. It was a long, hard swim back to the surface, but he somehow was able to succeed. He happened to notice a boat lurking in the shadows some distance from him before swimming for the village.
- As she recovered Naran was briefly visited by a boy in some sort of swimming gear. They had a brief "conversation" in which little was communicated (due to the language barrier) before he left again. A couple of hours later he returned, however, this time with an additional breathing apparatus. As the two of them made the long swim for the surface, the octopoidal creature found them...
- Having taken Piper, the cylindrical craft lifted slightly before de-materializing. As the panic in the village began to calm and Ganthet regained consciousness, Seluxxi approached he and Ronin, demanding they leave the village - declaring to those around her that these outsiders would not help their village as some had hoped, and that they cared only for what they could take...
|Monday June 26, 2017 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Helios became disoriented in his dive and surfaced, but found himself in a dark cave. Using an electricity artifact for light, he found his way into a chamber where some sort of robotic automaton was apparently "feeding" human blood to a massive machine. He spoke for a while with the robot .
- Naran chose not to struggle against the man who was threatening her, and instead watched the faces of the growing crowd he was addressing - their expressions seemed to vary between fear, anger, and uncertainy. As his address resolved, someone else grabbed her and put something over her face. She had the vague sensation of splashing into water before she lost consciousness. She later awoke in some sort of air pocket within a small room in a ruined building surrounded by water. After some time, she was visited by a large octopus-like creature that produced another of the strange books - this one overlooking golden spires piercing upward above a sea of clouds - offering her a means of escape for a vague "price".
- Piper and Ganthet spoke some more with Seluxii, though her suspicion continued to increase. A few of the townspeople seemed convinced that these outsiders might be able to help their dying village and, on their behalf, Seluxii somewhat-disingenuously asked them if this was so.
- Ronin finally arrived in the village and was greeted with obvious fear by the villagers - parly due to recent events, and partly due to his now-more-monstrous visage. The presence in his mind urged him to react violently, but he fought to refrain. Ronin was able to calm the villagers somewhat and ultimately rejoined his companions - who were shocked to see him alive, and moreso at his somewhat-disturbing change of appearance.
- It was at this moment that a massive, cylindrical craft appeared in the sky above the village projecting a column of bright blue light downward into the streets. Several of the villagers - ones with orange tags like the one on Piper's arm - seemed to think heading toward this light would be a good idea...
- Having successfully captured assets for NAR, Aralakh was finally released on so-so terms. Their most pressing concern was treating Drevan's injuries, so they took their chances staying in-system and going to the hospital. The company repaired what they could, but were short on supplies.
- A few months later, they jumped back into Free Worlds space to a more populous planet where they were hoping to repair and resupply. On their way in-system, however, they picked up a distress call from a merc dropship in orbit around one of the system's planet's moons.
- In exchange for the distressed company's remaining liquid assets, Aralakh agreed to get the company's surviving units out of trouble on the planet. They made a few low-passes in the target area before directing the survivors to a promising LZ northwest of their position.
- While the survivors continued to fight off the pursuit mechs that had been hunting them for the past few days, Aralakh attempted to clear the landing site - which, unfortunately, contained a hostile presence formidable in the face of Aralakh's severely-damaged condition...
|Sunday June 18, 2017 at 8:30pm||little fears, the dark spiral, game session notes, trogland||Comments (0) »|
- Dee Dee, Lexi, Sheri, Mandy (and her little brother Mace) made a new friend on their neighborhood playground - a boy about their age who was new in their part of town.
- While playing tag, they realized too late that this boy didn't know something: you do NOT go down the old, metal, spiral slide on the edge of the playground unless someone is waiting for you at the bottom - if you do, you don't come out. The slide takes you to the Bogeyman's dungeon - where you stay until he eats you.
- As the new kid dove into the slide while running from Mace, they saw dozens of gnarled claws reach out and snatch him out of this reality.
- Mandy's mother took the children back to her house for their sleepover, but something dark was following them, and stephen seemed to be calling to them from wherever he was taken. Shadows of goblins harassed and grabbed at them in the basement, and the girls ended up huddled in Mandy's room - slowly falling asleep.
- They found themselves next in a shared dream, at the base of the slide, before a yawning maw of a hole with a rickety wooden stairway. From its depths, they heard a muffled cry and a malicious laugh...
Adam is joining our game, and we spent this evening making two PCs for him to add to Tim's company: an experienced former House Regular who pilots a 45-ton Assassin, and a newbie Noble who has a 65-ton Crusader.
These characters will a fragment of a decimated merc unit looking to join up with someone else - and Aralakh will be the convenient choice. They will be bringing their 'mechs as well as a beat-up Union dropship into the company's assets.