|Monday October 2, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet continued deeper into the wreck they were exploring, coming upon a processing bank of some kind. While scavenging for parts, the scattered debris began assembling itself into towering construct which assualted them. A purplish, tentacled creature then approached them, finally convincing Ronin to take a bite from its bread-like outer flesh. Consuming this part of the creature seemed to sate it in some way, but Ronin the last hour or so of his memory replaced by a scene of burning wreckage.
- As the caravan awaited inspection outside the city, Piper witnessed an heated exchange between the town guard and a well-armored woman who'd flown up to the city on a large, reptilian creature. The Xi-drake seemed able to see Piper, and made some movement toward her as if to investigate until the disagreement at the gate became physical. An Aeon Priest arrived on the scene and had some success diffusing the situation. The caravan was permitted entry, but Piper decided to stay and listen to the conversation between the priest and the Angulan knight. Apparently, she had come from Dynafel in search of a varjellan fugitive.
- Naran proceeded through the village after the spick whom she'd been sent to assist by the old woman. The two of them dove into a large circular pool and made for a metal artifact protruding from its center - apparently the source of the painful pulses that were emanating through the settlement. After some doing, the two were able to stop the pulses by more fully activating the device, which was now firing a bright blue beam up into the sky.
- Helios, meanwhile, took a small boat out of the village to the south and was gathering red flowers for the old woman when he noted some bubbles in the water moving in his direction. As he was rowing himself back to the village, a massive, plant-like creature erupted from the water and began flailing about. The creature made his escape difficult, but he ultimately returned with the needed blooms. The woman mixed into the concoction she was making, loaded it into a strange, gun-like device, which she handed to Helios - sending him and a strange girl into the swamp to the south, telling him they must put the "Leviathan" back to sleep...
|Tuesday September 26, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios continued south along the waterway, eventually arriving in Quei after a brief encounter with some gate-keeping automatons in the canyon. The town occupied a series of docks and platforms suspended over a swamp. The townsfolk were less than helpful, but the two eventually found their way to The River's cave, where she immediately set them to work on some seemingly-urgent task with no explanation.
- Ronin and Ganthet rested, further discussed their next action, and spoke with Vlorrex. They decided their best bet was the power core they'd stashed outside of Urnmoll, and if Vlorrex could cobble together some form of null-gravity cypher to make transportation easier, they could probably managed to get it out of town. Vlorrex then sent them out into the wreck to scavenge for parts where they came upon some sort of lab containing large tanks of reddish liquid and a mass of malfunctioning, mechanical manipulator arms.
- Piper survived the explosion but found that she had somehow become invisible and insubstantial. No one was able to hear or see her, and interacting with objects had become difficult. The caravan reassembled after the ordeal, made camp, and spent a considerable about of time scavenging the remains of the beast and the Hearth before setting out early the following morning. Piper decided to continue on with the caravan and, after about another day an a half, they all arrived at the gates of Rarmon.
|Tuesday September 19, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios spoke with their otter-man friend again as they rested in preparationg to dive into the 'forbidden waters' in search of a way to access a starship they'd been told of by The Sisters. He showed them a book he'd taken from a fallen Yefort raider - one that contained a black view-panel like Helios' "broken" volume. He suggested they go to Quei and talk to "The River".
- Ronin and Ganthet explored the vault-lined hallway connected to the cargo hold of the small crafted they'd found within the wrecked carrier. Among other things, they found a small by exceedingly heavy coin, a jacket and some wood and metal staves, and a strange rectangular book containing a viewport overlooking a rock-lined pool in a redwood forest.
- Lengthy discussions on next moves insued.
|Monday September 11, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Agan emerged from the crowd around Naran and Helios, claiming they had brought ruin to the village and accusing Eufren of aiding in the destruction. When it became apparent public opinion was going south and Agan and his henchment wished to do them harm, Helios pried up some floorboards inside the central ruin and the two escaped by diving into the waters beneath and swimming out. At Helios' direction, they made for the woodlands containing the otter-man's home.
- While Ronin and Vlorrex attempted to activate the consoles to reconstruct the nejavin's body, Ganthet took a look around in the surrounding chambers, and found they were directly above a massive bay containing some sort of space-faring craft. When Ronin engaged the final switch to activate the equipment, a short set off a power surge in the craft accompanied by a dramatic shift, which pitched the vessel downward a further 20 degrees. Making their way to the craft bay once the floors stilled and the nejavin's head was once again reunited with its body, the trio made their way into the ship they had found within the ruin. It contained a control room in near-perfect condition, obviously-nonhuman crew quarters, some unusually empty pods, and a large hold with a loading door open to a large hall lined with vaults...
|Tuesday August 29, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet followed the nejavin's head to the wrecked craft wedged into giant crack where the mountain had split open. They navigated its interior until they found the place where the creature's body had been trapped. On the way, they encountered a colony of mouse-like creatures which seemed to take some interest in them - until they reached a room with strange puddle of a viscous, acrid substance and some rotting, tentacle-like appendages protruding from it. They glitterbombed the room with a detonation Ganthet had been carrying and hurried through. When they reached their destination, they found the nejavin's body separated into several pieces and suspended in the air, but apparently functioning as though it were still whole.
- Naran and Helios met with The Sisters who told them of a craft in planetary orbit that might be able to return them to their homeworld - and also that a means to reach it might be found in the "forbidden waters" of the valley outside the village. The two were then presented with a small, translucent cube and told that it would be necessary if they wished to use the spacecraft, but when Naran took the device, the Sisters vanished and their chamber transformed from the white stone building it had been to a plain, sandstone ruin that more closely resembled the rest of the village. When they emerged, they found Eufren wide-eyed and demanding to know what they had done...
- Piper and one of the hunters attempted to destroy the rampaging beast with a cannon-like numenera device the caravan had been carrying, but it malfunctioned after discharging only twice, though that was sufficient to attract the creature's attention, and it smashed into the wagon - splintering the vehicle and sending the device flying. Seeing their one method of injuring the creature lost, the hunter retreated, but Piper had another idea. Short-circuiting the damaged artifact and bypassing its power regulators, she caused it begin building up a catastrophic charge. With the help of some others nearby, she loaded it onto a wagon and shoved the unstable device toward the monster as the others fled. The resulting explosion was more powerful than she had anticipated, however, and ripped through the beast, the landscape, and the remainder of the camp before she had time to react...
|Monday August 21, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- Naran and Helios helped defend the village of Mekel against the raiders and their presence now seems to be generally accepted by most of the settlement. Eufren suggested that they speak to The Sisters, who they're told are leaders of the community.
- Ronin and Ganthet managed to force the murden to retreat further up and in to the nest. While Ganthet watched for a coming ambush, Ronin freed the skull-like creature who told them of the ruined craft further up into the mountains which the murden had been scavenging.
- The caravan Piper was accompanying arrived at a waypoint with a large crystal that radiated significant heat. As camp setup was completing, she left the site with a few scouts who found a small caffa swarm and decided to go hunt for goldgleam. As they were heading back, however, they became aware of a huge creature terrorizing the encampment...
|Monday August 14, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet set off to find the murden. The hike up into the mountains was arduous, but eventually lead them to a small plateau tucked into the cliffs where they found dozens of rough columns of various diameters but all about 75 feet tall. Between the columns were stretched various hides and insect carapaces, forming a sort of multi-leveled nest. They approached to attempt to speak with the abhumans, but were ultimately ambushed when they entered the area.
- Piper had some time to rest and was eventually retrieved by a humanoid that had sets of tentacles in place of arms. He lead her from the room...and that was the last thing she remembers of that place. The next thing she recalls is being awakened by a group of travellers atop a column-like structure somewhere in the south of the Pytharon Empire - a name she happens to recognize as being a kingdom in the Steadfast, which lies across the Black Riage and hundreds of miles from her home.
- Helios attempted to communicate with the otter-man who had invited him in, but didn't have much luck. The creature's responses were unintelligible and somewhat odd. Eventually he fell asleep, only to awaken a short time later with the otter-man standing over him. He then began asking Helios questions, apparently in The Truth(?), about where he came from and what he would do. When Helios told him he was trying to find his friend and return to their home planet, the creature took him to Mekel - which was under attack.
- Naran spoke for some time to Eufren and Motof about the books, the planet they're on, and the surrounding area, before an alarm from somewhere in the village startled her hosts. Racing outside, they found much of the settlement already in flames as a raiding party from the nearby, sinking village of Yefort descended upon the town...
|Monday August 7, 2017 at 8:00am||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Through some cleverness and good fortune, Ronin was able disuade Seluxii from pushing them out of the village of Urnmoll. The group of them proceeded to have a conversation about recent events and the party's goals (hopefully without giving too much away). The key points discussed were the murden that raided the village and (likely unintentionally) summoned the craft that took Piper, and a man said to be the foremost expert on power supplys residing in the steadfast. After a rest, Ronin and Ganthet decided to go after the murden in hopes that they can learn something of what happened to their friend.
- Unable to find a suitably hidden location in the floating village, Helios decided to swim to a wooded shore to the north. There he found an otter-like humanoid who invited(?) him into its dwelling for food and rest.
- Naran used her cutting light to stab at the octopoidal creature pursuing them while she and the boy escaped the remaining distance to the surface - which turned out to be under some section of the floating settlement. He led her to a building where another man was apparently waiting for them. The man gave Naran some sort of potion that rendered her unconscious, but when she awoke, she found she could speak to and understand them. She was in a village called Mekel, and the man's name was Eufren. He seemed very interested in the fact that she was an outsider and where she came from. He told her that their ancestors had once traveled between worlds very easily, but he didn't know how they had done it. Naran's stories about the books that had transported her and her friend fascinated him.
- Piper decided to spend some time attempting to repair her burned-out headband artifact while waiting to see what would happen next. After several hours, she was interrupted and lead (apparently) out of the craft she was in and into some other structure. There, she was taken to a massive chamber where several entities locked deep within some sort of crystal asked her a myriad of questions about herself and her world. Her responses were clever and informative, and so The Seven (as they called themselves) took a particular interest in her. After some time, they suggested that they would speak more, but that she and they required rest...
|Tuesday July 25, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Multiple drones and automatons (or possibly, armored entities) emerged from the cylindrical craft and began a sort of harvest of the surrounding village. Using stunning and tranquilizing weaponry, they subdued Piper and Ganthet, though only the former was actually taken.
- Helios made a quick exit from the chamber where the robotic entity was tending to the thirsty machine. He hadn't made it very far when he heard the sounds of the reptilian cats pursuing him. Upon reaching the pool where he'd entered, he once again encountered a strange, hovering being with heavy robes and one large, mechanical eye. It asked several questions of him before sinking back into the pool.
- Naran resisted the octopoidal creature's pushing for her to use the linking book it was presenting to her, and after it left in frustration, attempted to swim to freedom. The distance and pressure of the water soon proved too much, however. Fortunately, she found another "pocket" of air near the point where panic was starting to set in, and managed to reach it before blacking out.
- Aboard the craft, Piper suddenly found herself in her room back in Arable - or, at least, a very close approximation. The door and window were impassible and everything felt slightly "off". She was missing any functioning cyphers or artifacts that appeared technological, but otherwise seemed unharmed.
- Helios leapt into the pool after the his questioner, and began swimming "down" and away from the cat likely still pursuing him. It was a long, hard swim back to the surface, but he somehow was able to succeed. He happened to notice a boat lurking in the shadows some distance from him before swimming for the village.
- As she recovered Naran was briefly visited by a boy in some sort of swimming gear. They had a brief "conversation" in which little was communicated (due to the language barrier) before he left again. A couple of hours later he returned, however, this time with an additional breathing apparatus. As the two of them made the long swim for the surface, the octopoidal creature found them...
- Having taken Piper, the cylindrical craft lifted slightly before de-materializing. As the panic in the village began to calm and Ganthet regained consciousness, Seluxxi approached he and Ronin, demanding they leave the village - declaring to those around her that these outsiders would not help their village as some had hoped, and that they cared only for what they could take...
|Monday June 26, 2017 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Helios became disoriented in his dive and surfaced, but found himself in a dark cave. Using an electricity artifact for light, he found his way into a chamber where some sort of robotic automaton was apparently "feeding" human blood to a massive machine. He spoke for a while with the robot .
- Naran chose not to struggle against the man who was threatening her, and instead watched the faces of the growing crowd he was addressing - their expressions seemed to vary between fear, anger, and uncertainy. As his address resolved, someone else grabbed her and put something over her face. She had the vague sensation of splashing into water before she lost consciousness. She later awoke in some sort of air pocket within a small room in a ruined building surrounded by water. After some time, she was visited by a large octopus-like creature that produced another of the strange books - this one overlooking golden spires piercing upward above a sea of clouds - offering her a means of escape for a vague "price".
- Piper and Ganthet spoke some more with Seluxii, though her suspicion continued to increase. A few of the townspeople seemed convinced that these outsiders might be able to help their dying village and, on their behalf, Seluxii somewhat-disingenuously asked them if this was so.
- Ronin finally arrived in the village and was greeted with obvious fear by the villagers - parly due to recent events, and partly due to his now-more-monstrous visage. The presence in his mind urged him to react violently, but he fought to refrain. Ronin was able to calm the villagers somewhat and ultimately rejoined his companions - who were shocked to see him alive, and moreso at his somewhat-disturbing change of appearance.
- It was at this moment that a massive, cylindrical craft appeared in the sky above the village projecting a column of bright blue light downward into the streets. Several of the villagers - ones with orange tags like the one on Piper's arm - seemed to think heading toward this light would be a good idea...
- Piper and Ganthet found themselves amidst a murden raid on the village of Urnmoll, also involving a large, crab-like, mechanical contraption smashing its way through the village. The murden were eventually driven off, and the robot, after sustaining some damage, folded itself into a small sphere. The two considered making a break out of town, but decided to stay to see what they could learn.
- Ronin found his way out of the cave he and his friends had originally entered and decided to continue through the mountains toward the village. On his way, he began to perceive a beckoning presence which led him to a small, glowing cave. Upon seeing his reflection in a pool, he became aware that he was no longer alone in his head.
- Helios and Naran fought with the aquatic predators, attempting to drive them off. Naran found her way into one of the boats and was brought back to the town built on the ruins protruding from the lake, but Helios had dived back into the water in an attempt to find one of the missing villagers. About the time Naran realized Helios had not come back, she was grabbed from behind - and found a knife at her throat...
|Tuesday May 30, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin awoke, alive but debilitated and surrounded by silver insectoid creatures. Over the next day or so, he made his way back out of the ruin, slowly recovering strength. During this time, he noticed that patches of his skin all over his body had been replaced by red scales.
- Ganthet spoke with the apparent leader of the village of Urnmoll, a woman Seluxii. Her suspicion of his activities in the region seemed to increase as he answered her questions with partial-truths.
- Piper spoke with the old woman for a while, learning that the town's water-producing artifact had recently ceased functioning, and that many in town were worried.
- Naran and Helios toppled from their perch above the rushing river when the bird-man from the previous world followed them through into this one, sending all three of them into the river and over a tremendous waterfall.
- Ronin reached the cave in which the group took shelter from the glass storm, and found himself attacked by a black puddle - apparently the remnants of the tentacled creature that had previously harassed them.
- The relative peace of Urnmoll was suddenly disturbed by shouts, screams, and mechanical pounding and whirring coming from one corner. Piper was ambushed by some form of avian humanoid, and Seluxii left Ganthet apparently trapped in a room with a vanishing doorway.
- Naran and Helios found what appeared to be a fishing town built on partiall-submerged ruins in the valley into which they'd been deposited. As they swam for the approaching boats, they were attacked by some sort of aquatic reptile...
- Naran and Helios continued fractured communication with the birdman, who seemed intent upon fixing some part of the inner workings of the tower and/or island, and reacted negatively toward any action they took that might even superficially damage it. Deciding there was nothing remaining for them in that place, they made their way back to the book Naran had previously found, using its viewport to travel to the world on the other side.
- Ganthet and Piper made their way through the ruin to the lowest exit they could find. Waiting till dark, they lowered the power core before descending themselves. Concerned over what the townfolk might say if they were found with the artifact, the two hid it in a cleft of rock nearby. As they approached the only way out of the rocky depression, Ganthet was spotted by the two guardsmen and taken down to the village - Piper followed along behind.
- After Naran and Helios finished their rest, Helios suggested they investigate the bubbling pool which he found to be breathable while Naran did not. While Naran spent some more time investigating the machinery in the hollow of the island, Helios ventured down into the water-filled chambers below where he found what appeared to be a city populated by enormous frog-people. He also met up with the bird-man they'd first encountered, who returned to the chamber with him.
- Ronin, Ganthet, and Piper, meanwhile, attempted to cross the gravity-less chasm with their power-core while avoiding harassment and attack by the vanishing and re-appearing serpent. Unfortunately, their counter-attacks eventually agitated the creature to the point that it disrupted the null gravity field, sending objects plummeting into the chasm. Noticing the signs, Ronin managed to push Piper and the power core to the relative safety of the far wall, but in so doing failed to reach it himself - and fell into the darkness below...
|Monday April 24, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios investigated the top of the tower, where they found an hive of bugs averse to bright lights and some control panels that seemed designed to operate the tower's machinery.
- Piper, Ganthet, and Ronin escaped from several pursuing monstrous centipedes and found some time to rest. Attempting to find their way back out of the ruin, they happened upon a vast chasm which seemed devoid of gravity - and also contained some form of ephemeral, shape-shifting serpent...
|Tuesday April 18, 2017 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin, Piper, and Ganthet found their way up into a chamber containing what they believed to be the complex's power core - the device they had come to retrieve. As they approached it, however, they found themselves confronted by a monstrous, transdimensional, crustacean-like entity guarding and feeding off the power source.
- After Naran's discovery of the portal book, she and Helios decided they should find their way to the top of the tower to try to reactivate the dormant machinery. The managed to open the iris at the top of the underground chamber, granting them access to the tower once more. What they did not notice, however, were the two bird-men lying in wait. The ambush jolted them both with electricity, and caused Helios to fall back onto the platform at the top of the chamber, which began wrenching free of its supports due to the impact.
- The monstrous creature the group had found by the power core began attacking the intruders with its massive claws and spewing a burning, plasma-like substance from its dozen or so eyes. The group used several artifacts and cyphers they'd acquired since entering the complex to fight back, shattering bits of its thick armor and occassionally punching through. Ganthet decided to use the green detonation artifact Polious had given him, which caused a thick and animated forest to suddenly spring up in the area. The aggressive plant growth slowed the creature down, but proved to be more dangerous to the adventurers - especially to Ronin who was moving amongst them - as the group had to contend both with the hostile plants and with the fires set by the crustacean's dripping red-hot plasma.
- While Helios attempted (with some difficulty) to climb back into the tower from the failing support, Naran did her best to fight off the bird-men, trading bright blasts of forceful light with the electrical arcs firing from the avian's energized spears. After Helios managed to re-enter the tower and Naran had incinerated the last of their foes, they looked up at the large vine/tree structure and the crystals growing from it, suspecting that it could be used to gather energy from the world's hot suns if they could figure out how to reactivate it.
- Just as Ronin was stabbed by some sort of poisonous plant which rendered him unconscious, Ganthet's final shots against the monster managed to penetrate the armor under its head. Shrieking, the beast collapsed to the ground, spewing plasma from its eyes - which in turn further ignited the plant matter beneath it.
- Ganthet and Piper darted past the growing flames into the area beneath the power core. Ganthet made some efforts to revive Ronin, but seemed only to make his fallen friend's condition worsen. Acting quickly, Piper successfully connected a power regulator she had constructed to the conduits feeding the power core, and then began the delicate operation of detaching the core from the surrounding eqipment. Unfortunately, the group didn't have time for "delicate". Piper did what she could to prevent any instability due to the disconnect before slicing through the adjoining cables. She held her breath for several moments before the dim blue glow returned and stabilized in the core's interior.
|Monday March 20, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios attempted to communicate with the earnest-seeming bird-man, but were ultimately less than successful. He did lead them to a hidden chamber full of devices he'd gathered but, apparently, had no particular knowledge of. He left by way of a bubbling pool, and the two decided to get some rest.
- Ronin, Piper, and Ganthet continued into the ruin they'd found, soon encountering a vast area overgrown with blue plant growth. The sweet smell of the plants seemed to affect the minds of the party, causing Piper and Ganthet to seek out and activate machinery with visible but indecipherable results. They also encountered several giant centipede-like creatures.
- The bird entities apparently gone, Naran and Helios spent some time exploring the interior of the island and its machinery, eventually finding that some of it seemed to "connect" to a 'portal book'.
- Attempting to outrun their insectoid pursuers, Ronin, Piper, and Ganthet ended up at the top of a large cylindrical vault, where they found another portal book, some arms and armor, and a room that simpily glowed for no obvious reason. At the bottom of the chamber, they found a passage leading deeper into the complex from which they could hear a dull hum, as well as one final vault door smeared with some kind black, pitch-like substance...
|Monday March 13, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- After some brief discussion, it was decided that Helios would follow Naran into the book and the others would continue into the ruin to locate the power core.
- Naran and Helios found themselves on top of a small island about 400 feet above the surface of an unknown ocean. Two suns blazed overhead, making it difficult to see through the brightness. The island contained a tower full of machinery and a strange vine-like plant growing crystals. As they investigated, they were attacked by some group of bird-people with spear-like weapons that projected arcs of electricity. They fled up the tower, but found themselves trapped until another one of the bird-people "flew" them to a large cave-like entrance at the base of the island where they discovered it to be mostly hollow and full of ancient non-functioning machinery.
- Ganthet, Ronin, and Piper continued up into the ruin above the overgrown library. As they made their way through its interior, they encountered some sort of automaton guarding a sealed doorway. Apparently they triggered some condition in its programming, and the machine attacked. The resulting battle battered, burned, and froze the three, but they were ultimately victorious.
|Monday March 6, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Discerning that the tunnel of ferns proceeded in the direction they were attempting to travel before the glass storm hit, and believing that the ferns themselves may indicate the presence of a ruin similar to the one at their home, the group decided to leave the aneen in the cave and follow it.
- The picked their way through the winding tunnel for almost 9 miles, encountering a few caverns (including a large one with a tree and clouds) and several other passages. There was a faint, warm breeze blowing through the tunnel - all the tunnels proceeding southwest toward its source were overgrown with purple ferns whereas other passages were not.
- Having pursued these phenomena all the way to its source, the group found part of some kind of buried building, broken and overgrown with the purple ferns itself. One of the chambers had a large hole in the corner of the ceiling, through which various wires and conduits hung loosely which opened into a set over chambers and corridors reminiscent of the "B Dome" they'd explored.
The room they were in seemed to Piper to be some sort of library. Beneath the ferns were shelves containing the remains of many strange, rectangular books. She couldn't read them, but her ability to decipher suggested they described locations in great detail. A few of those in the best shape had window-like screens on their first pages, showing a specific, unfamiliar location. The glowing panels gave odd sensations when you touched them. While attempting to discern some sort of use or a way to "activate" the one of the books, Naran placed her palm over the glowing panel and suddenly vanished. Looking down at where the book fell, Ronin could see his friend standing in the scene depicted through the window...
|Monday February 27, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (2) »|
- The group ran south behind the herd of aneen, fighting their way through the fleeing beasts and the larval worms pursuing them. When the adult worm caught up with them, Piper scarred it with a plasma cypher, but the monster killed one of their pack animals as they attempted to flee. It was Ganthet's "liquid air" artifact that enabled them to finally escape.
- Once in the mountains, the group was beset by a violent storm of glass. The group took shelter in a shallow cave, along with several dozen dog-sized beetles apparently native to the area. During this time, Ganthet fell deeper into the cave, where he found an underground stream, a tentacled monster, and a tunnel lined with the same purple ferns that grow around their home of Arable.
|Monday February 13, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- After treating their wounded aneen as best they could, the group gathered the remainder of thier possessions and set out again. The animal slowed their progress significantly, however, and it was after dark before they reached their destination: the on oasis on their route through the desert.
- As they approached, they noticed two things. The first was a brilliantly-glowing, blue-purple, diamond-shaped object floating above the oasis. The second was the fact that the oasis was occupied by several different groups of people.
- As they refreshed their animals and made their camp for the evening, the group spoke with several of the others there and learned that each of them had a wildly disparate understanding of the surrounding world - to the extent that Naran and Ronin suspected that perhaps the area occupied some confluence of time and/or reality.
- Just before dawn, the diamond-shaped object began to pulse and vibrate. After a few minutes, the object collapsed in on itself - seeming to draw everyone and everything else occupying the oasis into itself before vanishing.
- Observing how much their wounded aneen had slowed their progress and believing speed to be essential, the group voted to use Helious' healing artifact on their injured animal.
- Packed up again, the group continued their westward journey for the next couple of days - approaching the gathering clouds near the looming black mountain range and fighting the oppressive heat.
- As they neared the foothills in the shadow of the jagged mountains of the Black Riage, they happened upon a sizable herd of wild aneen making its way north along the edge of the hills. The clouds above were beginning to arc with purple lightening. The group was still approaching, intending to pass the herd to the south, when an enourmous cragworm erupted from the earth ahead of them, bellowing its hunger...
|Monday February 6, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group set out to the west, crossing the northwestern region of the Gathmund Scrublands before exiting them into the wide, flat expanse of the desert flat that lie between them and their destination.
- On the second night, the group awoke to suddenly find themselves in a dense forest. Margr fled through their camp and something large was approaching from the north. As they attempted to calm the aneen, a massive bison-like creature emerged from the surrounding trees. It was gushing blood from a wound in its side, making thick red pools wherever it stepped, and the creature held a miniature-sun-like fireball in its mouth which licked flames out toward anything living.
- The group grabbed what supplies they could and attempted to flee, but the aneen Piper and Ronin were riding was panicked and uncooperative. It fell on its side, throwing Ronin off before bolting the opposite direction. Unfortunately, this took it right past one of the lingering margr, which put a nasty slice in its right leg - causing it to fall again and Piper to lose her tenuous grasp on the animal. The giant buffalo plodded onward, seemingly unaware of them.
- Piper and Ronin were able to make short work of the lingering margr still prowling the area, while the others rejoined when the beast had passed. As they gathered their now-blood-covered supplies, the group discussed what should be done with their injured animal.
|Monday January 30, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group continued their discussion with Polious about their upcoming journey and some of the potential difficulties they may encounter.
- The following day was the third day of the yearly Eves festival - the evening of the big feast and a time for making important announcements about the upcoming year. Among others of various kinds, Polious announced his assistants' journey to a far-away place in order to recover desperately-needed components for the town's faltering artifact. The group enjoyed the feast and spent some time talking to various townsfolk about their upcoming quest.
- After the Eves, the group spent a few days preparing for their journey before heading out. As they left the town, accompanied to its edge by various family, friends, and well-wishers, they noticed that the farmland looked noticeably parched...
|Monday January 16, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper, Naran, and Ronin headed down into the guts of the Weathervane while Ganthet and Helios remained with Polious in the control room, attempting to keep things from getting out of hand.
- The three descended into the structure, noting more and more of a strange, acrid-smelling black oil as they made their way toward the inward. Outside the vault itself, a large stream of the stuff poured down the wall over wires and conduits - among which were dozens of eyeless rat-like creatures.
- A couple of townsfolk approached the Weathervane, looking for Polious to address an issue in town involving a strange device, and hostile spreading plant growth. As he was still unable to see and Helios had been more weakened by the day's events, Ganthet was sent to address the problem. He found some sort of artifact producing a thick fog and causing shrub-like plants to grow. When he activated it, the ground began to vibrate violently. He found himself outside of the town by several miles, and watched as large sections of earth some distance to the north rose out of the ground and floated above it.
- Once inside the vault, Piper found the Weathervane's power core and attempted to disconnect it. Unfortunately, this seemed to cause a runaway reaction resulting in the core's explosion. Piper somehow managed to escape the brunt of the blast.
- The explosion of the power core radiated energy throughout the town, instantly burned away the stormclouds, and ultimately resulted in a total blackout as all power drained from the ruin.
- Over the course of the next few weeks, Polious, the others, and the rest of the town attempted to pick up the pieces. Polious managed to cobble together a replacement power source for the Weathervane and once the rain cycle resumed - even though it was irregular and somewhat less than sufficient - the townsfolk began to relax. Polious and the others, however, know that the current arrangement is underpowered and anything but stable.
- A few days later, the Eves festival begins. This is marks the new year in Arable, as well as the first few days of the planting season. The group spends the first day of the celebration with their individual families, spending time together and exchanging gifts. Polious also visits each, giving them gifts of his own.
- The second day of the Eves is a time of planning for the new year. For most, that means talking about what crops to plant in which fields, which animals to breed, and other such things. For Polious and his associates, however, this conversation looks very different. Polious tells them he's learned of yet another ruin similar to Arable and the "B Dome" (which is now known to be a sphere, and is floating about a hundred feed above the ground along with some chunks of nearby landscape). This one is about 10 miles into the mountains of the Black Riage, near a village called Urnmoll. It, reportedly, even shows signs of continuing power. Arable needs a new power core. The Weathervane will not survive without one, and if the Weathervane doesn't survive, the town is doomed. Further, Polious is unable to leave the town - the artifact is too unstable. The others are going to have to do this on their own...
|Monday December 19, 2016 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group hurried toward town, only to find the north gate held closed by a massive mutated plant. When the group attempted to cut the struggling gate mechanism free, they found that deformed plant also possessed bladed tendrils and often emitted psychic shriek when injured. As the group fought with the plant creature, an errant shot from Ronin deactivated the gate completely and a massive tendril grappled with and ultimately once-more panicked Naran's aneen.
- As the others hacked and burned away at the plant, Helios worked on phasing through the door to assist from the other side. He successfully reached the other side, but not before sustaining further injury to his already battered body and mind. Though significantly debilitated and possessed of only a rudimentary knowledge of the Numenera, he somehow managed to reconfigure the gate's controls to bypass the circuit destroyed by Ronin's arrow and opened the gate.
- The group reunited and reached the malfunctioning Weathervane, but the situation was quickly worsening. Even with help, Polious was unable to stabilize the artifact. His blindness preventing him from doing himself what was quickly becoming obviously necessary, he handed Ronin the key to "the Vault" and sent the group into the guts of Weathervane to shut it down...
|Monday December 5, 2016 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group decided it would be best to recover the panicked aneen before heading back, but Polious and Helios were in no condition to assist. Being somewhat beat up himself, Ronin volunteered to stay with them while Ganthet, Naran, and Piper pursued the animal.
- The chase led them back up into the forested hills a couple of miles away, where they encountered a giant, fin-shaped ruin and some hostile, hovering automatons n addition to the few hounds pursuing their pack animal.
- Meanwhile, Polious, Helios, and Ronin encountered a strange being completely covered by thick robes except for its large, mechanical eye. The entity babbled in several different languages in addition to the Truth, and spoke seemingly random bits of information or observations before disintegrating before their eyes.
- Naran manged to grab the harness of the panicked aneen, climbed up onto it, and managed to calm it down while Piper and Ganthet fought off the remaining hounds - the automatons having apparently disengaged.
- The group rejoined at their camp - now with all of their animals - and made their way back to town. They were approaching the edge of Arable's farmland when the storm that had been gathering finally unleashed...
- +2 xp
|Monday November 28, 2016 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Seeing the growing agitation in the chance moths, the group began attempting to scramble up the rope. Outside they were confronted by a pack of broken hounds - one of which was massive and seemed to twist and distort as it growled.
- The moths triggered something in the chamber which began causing strange environmental effects. While Ronin climbed the rope, Piper investigated the surrounding machinery and found that shorts in the controls seemed to result in her ability to terraform the immediate area.
- As the group fought off the smaller hounds, the huge one closed and happened to pick out Polious as its first target, grabbing and flinging him aside.
- As the situation with the hounds outside worsened, Polious called for withdrawl. Piper had a more difficult time escaping the ruin as the rope which had been worn on the jagged edge of the hole finally snapped. Ronin threw a rope down to her but wasn't able to tie it off quickly enough and Piper would likely have pulled him in if Ganthet and Naran hadn't come to his aid.
- Polious recovered from his tumble and, seeing the severity of the situation and the massive hound threatening his companions, raised his damaged rifle. The weapon discharged but seemed to overload, radiating explosive energe outward. The great hound was severely burned, but so was Polious - badly enough on his face that he was blinded.
- The group left the site as the hounds fled. They returned to their camp to find that one of their aneen was about half a mile across the plain, being harrassed by a few other broken hounds.
- +2 xp
|Monday November 14, 2016 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Polious activated his transmitter artifact, sending a message to Piper and her companions to join he, Ronin, Naran.
- On their way, Piper, Ganthet, and Helios were ambushed at the top of the descending shaft by abhumans of some sort, apparently living in the bowels of the structure. The creatures were savage, gaunt, and where their faces should have been was only the base of a writhing tentacle.
- While Polious began examining the glowing power-artifact, another trio of the abhumans attacked him, Naran, and Ronin.
- The insuing battles were chaotic, as their assailants attacked in an uncoordinated, frenzied fashion. One of the abhumans attacking Ganthet and his companions activated some sort of gravity cypher, which caused anyone and anything within the shaft itself to become weightless. Another assaulting Naran and the others in the room below activated a cobbled artifact which missed her, sending a bright, white beam into the surrounding structure, exploding several metallic "pods" the group assumed were capacitors of some sort. This seemed to adversely affect the power-artifact, increasing the instability of its already dangerously-overloaded state.
- At Ronin's insistence, Polious set to work attempting to stabilize the pulsing blue power source while the others fought off the remaining attackers. Just as the battle concluded, Polious released the power build-up in the device, sending power out into the ruin. To his dismay, however, the core itself burned out - the pulsing, blue-sun-like glow collapsing in on itself, leaving the cylinder an empty, glass shell.
- The group spent some time gathering components from this room, as they had specifically come for power-distribution parts. When they were finished, they made their way back toward the "entrance" area, noticing that many of the rooms and passages were now lit and active with various buttons, screens, panels, and other, more incomprehensible controls or interfaces. They noted much that could be salvaged and investigated, but time was against them as they suspected more abhumans may be emerging from the depths of the complex.
- At the entrance, they noticed the Chance Moth hive was now very active - flying around the room, feasting on the enegies provided by the newly-supplied power. As they made ready to ascend the rope back out of the complex, they heard the unfortunately-familiar keening of a pack of Broken Hounds from outside - and something very, very large slam into the top of the structure...
- +2 xp
|Monday November 7, 2016 at 7:45pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group journeyed with Polious to the "B Dome" - a secondary site which seems to be very similar to the structure around which their town of Arable is built. As such, it is a trove of spare parts. They were looking for "crystal fuze couplings" to replace some key components relating to the Weathervane's power distribution, but are always on the lookout for anything else that might either be of use or able to be made into something useful.
- Upon descending into the ruin, Ronin encountered a rather large hive of Chance Moths, attracted to a numenous light Naran had created. At Polious' instruction, the lights were put out and the group carefully moved away from the entrance further into the dark while Naran distracted the hive by illuminating a large metal panel in the opposite direction.
- After a brief discussion in the corridor, the group decided to split up to cover more ground: Helios, Piper, and Ganthet continued down in that direction, while Polious, Naran, and Ronin went back through entrance area and through a partially-open doorway.
- Helios, Piper, and Ganthet found a grassy area in the metal ruin which also contained a large tree with glowing geometric designs on its leaves. It seemed to interact with nearby machinery in some way - affecting the immediately-local plant life and/or weather/environment when they interacted with it. In addition, they discovered a stone chamber full of shelves and charred, rectangular books. Piper found 4 seemingly untouched and took them with her, and discovered at least one of the mostly-burned volumes seemed to have some kind of static charge within it. After investigating the area, Piper set to work disassembling sections of the machinery, salvaging several promising objects before she began inadvertently triggering it.
- Polious, Naran, and Ronin found a large laboratory area. Polious set to work scavenging the equipment for useable parts while Ronin and Naran looked around the room. Ronin found a bank of large, cylindrical, glass tanks (only one of which was still intact) and Naran soon discovered pools of liquid on the floor and ceiling which were dripping into each other. While she marveled over this, a pseudopod from the lower pool grabbed her, and pulled her up off the ground. Ronin worked to free her and Polious shot the creature with his powerful rifle-like Numenera weapon - which, instead of evaporating it, caused it to harden into a pink-white crystalline material (from which Ronin cut a section to take with them). From there, the three proceeded deeper into the complex. At the bottom of a 170ft shaft, they found a black door behind which hummed some sort of impressive, glowing artifact...
|Monday October 24, 2016 at 8:00pm||new campaign, numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
Finally starting a Numenera campaign! Been waiting for this for two years! Very excited!
The party is a group of young adults from a small town in the Beyond called Arable - a wasteland farming community based around a weather-control artifact. They will begin as assistants to an Aeon Priest called Polious, and tasked with assisting in the maintenance of the Weathervane, scavenging for parts, and generally discovering the Numenera.
- Helios [Tony] is a Stubborn Jack who Exists Partially out of Phase
- Narangerel [Sheri] is an Inquisitive Nano who Possesses a Shard of the Sun
- Piper [Keara] is a Manipulative Spark who Makes Something out of Nothing
- Ronin [Tim] is a Wasteland Jack who Explores Dark Places
- Ganthet [Adam] is a Weird Glaive who Rides the Lightening