- Meanwhile, Drevan hacked his way into the Phoenix Hawk and carry out some of the Lostech weaponry he'd found along with it, but its sensors detected some approaching units. He decided to walk it all the way back to the safety of their dropship, but by the time he returned, he found his powered-down Warhammer being approached by an Orion and a Vindicator. The ensuing firefight was brief but brutal; in the end the Orion was forced to withdraw and Aralakh was able to claim the remaining movable Lostech, as well as report a Vindicator for additional salvage.
- Knowing they are outgunned but not necessarily out-armored, Aralakh adopted a strategy of long range sniping from deep woods positions, hoping to draw the Capellan units to them and gambling that they can eliminate the biggest threats before they get close enough to be a problem. Damage is significant on both sides, and while the Capellan mechs are running hot, they've still got some big guns - and Aralakh's Centurion is feeling the loss of its AC/10.
|Wednesday December 13, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- While trying to trap an aneen to use as a pack animal, something inside Ronin was overcome with hunger. He transformed into an enourmous red serpent and began tearing open the scattering animals. His ravenous feast was interrupted by the sudden arrival of a cragworm, which fought with him for territory - nearly dragging Ganthet off after being greviously injured. Ronin, still a giant snake, pursued the fleeing herd beasts to the northeast while Ganthet recovered.
- Piper was attempting to find her way up and out of the cavernous depths when she encountered a small hive of crab-like creatures seemingly composed of the cast-off junk around her. The brushed them off and eluded their pursuit for some time, before stomping on one that surprised her. It let out a piercing sustained shriek, which awoke something giant behind her in the darkness. Whatever it was bellowed and pounded the walls and floor of the cavern, causing underground earthquakes that nearly buried her.
- Naran and Helios entered the "Great 'Leens" tavern and learned something about the place and its odd games, as well as the city at large and some possible ways back to the surface. The most apparent seemed to be Varealius' craft or a gateway found by a man called Dokkan, but they were also told they could speak with the Deephunters (skeane that know the area outside the city well) and/or consult the Datavault for more information. Their conversations were interrupted, however, when the bartender called for a drinking game and unwittingly insulted a teenaged girl - who then revealed herself as Thruird, the Russet, and began ripping appart the tavern with blasts of ice from her conjured mask...
|Friday December 8, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game sessions notes||Comments (0) »|
- After being "decontaminated", Naran and Helios received a brief orientation on the city, including information about the "Four Scylines" (the machine gods that "rule" the city), the "florrine" concoction they were required to injest daily, city service, layout, and basic services; after which, they were given their "passtags". They asked the skeane they were speaking to about access to the surface and the mainland and it told them they were a long distance from shore and many miles beneath the surface, but that there was a man called 'Varrealius' who owned a submersible craft that made voyages to such places. He was currently away but expected back at any time. From there, the two ventured into the city. They found one of the marketplaces in the Rustways where Helios encountered an imposing octipoidal woman in search of a new "servant" - one of 7 human males carrying an odd array of objects in trance-like states. She was becoming increasingly agitated and insistent when Naran shot a flare which distracted her enough for Helios to use one of his abilities which caused her to forget the past 5 minutes. Confused, she withdrew back into the city and Naran and Helios proceeded into a nearby tavern which seemed to be engaged in a variety of strange games...
- Ronin and Ganthet managed to slay the towering beast assaulting them, but in so doing ruptured some internal organ that drenched Ganthet in acid. They proceeded to the edge of the plains below the Black Riage before camping whereupon the cypher levitating their cargo finally burned out for good. Fortunately, they could see a promising herd of aneen on the plain below that might well serve as pack animals if they could be subdued. UNfortunately, the presence inside of Ronin was becoming active again - and insisting that he feed on the creatures' flesh...
- After recovering a bit, Piper got up and began exploring the darkness into which she had fallen. Her only light source was herself, as she still retained a faint green glow from the Numenera incident above. She found numerous piles of cast off bits of old devices - and even one or two usable objects - before a tall and skeletal automaton took interest in her. After going through her possessions, he took her burned-out headband artifact and strode back into the darkness. Piper followed, finding her way to a place where the ground and walls no longer seemed to be stone, but rather a pulsing, squishy, reddish substance. She recovered her headband from where the automaton had placed it (on one of the piles) and found nearby some sort of transdimensional device embedded in the stone. She studied it for a few moments before setting out to find a way back into the more populous tunnels above...
- Upon engaging the crippled units, Aralakh's Assassin and Centurion found there were several others nearby. They destroyed the Jenner outright and have hammered a few other units over the ensuing exchanges, but they still face the Wolfhound and the mobile turret as well as a Clint that came in from the Northeast as well as a Hunchback and a Rifleman that were powered down in nearby woods along with some geurilla forces. Their opposition is badly damaged, but it remains to be seen whether they can withstand its firepower long enough to neutralize it.
- Aralakh made some hasty repairs to their units in preparation for their second, cleanup mission - a sweep across the surrounding countryside looking for stragglers and salvage. Most notably, Drevan found a cache of Lostech - including a pristine Phoenix Hawk - while chasing a pair of crippled units into a thick forest. Meanwhile, Jyun and Orion happened upon a limping Jenner, a mobile turrent, and a Wolfhound undergoing field repairs...
|Monday November 27, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper was on her way to convincing her assailant that he had mistaken her identity when malfunctioning machinery distracted them. Arcs of electricity infused her with some form of energy and hideously mutated the madman. She continued deeper into the Pipes and was jumped by a thief attempting to steal her pack. Piper managed to hold onto her belongings but not her footing, tumbling down a pit into darkness...
- Ronin and Ganthet were able to jumpstart the gravity cypher again, allowing them to push the power core down the mountain toward the plain. Wanting to make the most of whatever time it had remaining, they pushed on into the night and found themselves ambushed just after twilight by a tall, fierce, and 6-limbed creature...
- Having returned to the relative safety of Rethirra, Naran and Helios chose a new book - this time, one of the small volumes labeled with 'Alaeta' - a place they suspected might be associated with Earth. Linking through the book into a dark alleyway, they found their environment was filled with liquid rather than air, and in attempts to recover attracted the attention of one of the creatures dwelling. It quickly led them into the city to a place where they could be "decontaminated". In the subsequent conversations, Helios and Naran were pleased to discovered that they were, in fact, back on Earth - even if the specific location turned out to be a sealed city on the in the black depths of the ocean..
|Tuesday November 21, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper decided she would see what progress she could make toward the task the Order of Truth had set for her. Finding the storm-drain entrance the priests had told her about, she decended into the underworld known to the citizens of Rarmon as "the Pipes". She had a chance encounter with a strange fortune-teller with a glowing third eye who offered strange visions, wandered into some dark warrens, and eventually made her way into a surprisingly populated area before being accosted by a large man demanding she keep her end of some unknown bargain...
- Naran and Helios bolted back up the stairs as the doors burst open and two avian heads on long, serpentine necks surveyed the room and a cloud of thick, blue fog billowed outward. They were pursued by 3, smaller, 4-legged, bird-like creatures with two heads - presumably the large creature's offspring. The mind-altering fog they produced proved confusing to Helios who had some difficulty escaping it even while Naran called to him from outside while using her cutting light ability to keep the creatures at bay. When his escape was ultimately made, the two ran the final distance back to the top, barricaded themselves in the large office, and linked back to the library on Rethirra using one of the books they'd brought with them.
- Ronin and Ganthet found the town of Urnmoll was in disarray. A massive, whale-like creature floated over the town, raining shards of black crystal. The townsfolk seemed to be gathering possessions in preparation to leave - all except a handful trying desperately to repair the Hydrosource, and Seluxii who was preocuppied with Rell who seemed to be ill in some way. Their nejavin companion Vlorrex, seemingly able to understand the villagers' language to some extent, ended up staying to help them while Ronin and Ganthet proceeded to the place they'd stashed the power core. They attached the cypher Vlorrex had made for them and covered the large device with coats and bedrolls. The two somehow managed to keep the few villagers that attempted to speak with them on their way out from discerning exactly what they were doing - all except one particular old woman who simply eyed them suspiciously while suggesting they might not be on the right track. They got the device just outside the town when Vlorrex's device malfunction and the heavy core dropped unceremoniously to the ground.
"Oh man, if I had an hour..."
So Rucht, a gamer friend of mine who runs an RPG group I play in (not to be confused with the group I run), happens to head up the tabletop games track at DragonCon. Rucht was also the guy who introduced me to gaming podcasts via Fear the Boot, and is someone with whom I somewhat regularly have interesting discussions about the various facets of this hobby with both like so much.
A while back (maybe a year ago?) he approached me about doing a podcast of our own on some of this stuff. He said he's often been asked questions at the con that he just doesn't have time to answer, and he thought it would be cool if there was some resource he could point people to on some of this stuff. Also, since the two of us are rarely at a loss for gamery things to talk about, he thought we could produce some pretty substantial content that others might find useful (or, at least interesting).
Lanching a 'Cast
The goal was to launch the podcast - which we dubbed "The Table Dragon" - for this year's DragonCon. We were *mostly* successful (I might have been up until ridiculous hours editing episode 1, and subsequently thinking I lost said editing work). The site was plain and boring, but the basic content was there. We don't have (read: "I haven't found time to make") a dedicated site yet, but the libsyn feed is so far "adequate".
Solidifying the Project
This weekend I took a couple of so-so photos so we could have some basic imagery (which doesn't look great at every resolution on the libsyn feed, but...), finished editing Episode 2, and published that stuff.
Now I'm starting to be a little proud of this thing. It looks decent, and I think our two episodes are actually pretty good (even if I hate listening to myself talk on recordings).
We have recorded a third, and we have some interesting plans for something cool and different for our next episode. So we'll see where this goes.
- Though their Warhammer got caught out away from the heart of the firefight, some good fortune allowed Aralakh to not only come out of the engagement on top, but also to earn some impressive salvage on the operation.