|Sunday April 11, 2021 at 2:00pm||new campaign, ryuutama, tale of moon & stars, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
[Journal of Midori-Ryuu Izumi, exerpt]
Prelude and Day 1
Trill, Myurin, and Rok finally set out on their first Journey, and I am excited to see what they do and what life they will breathe into the tale I am weaving.
After some discussion at the Wanderer's Guild in Brunelle (the City of Stars), they decided they would first travel to the logging village of Timber in the forest at the foot of the Crescent Island mountains. The Guide's Aid Albert has paid them to deliver a package to his great aunt Eloise Naan in the village of Three Stones (which is on their route) as well.
The first day of their travels was blessed with good weather and easy terrain on the road west along the Bull River, though they were confronted by a young Hungry Mole which they managed to drive off. Camp was made in a small wood the road they're following winds through, and the first night passed quietly.
Postote: This group either has particular focus or lacks a typical degree of curiosity. In any event, the songbird may not be obvious enough as a guide to push them toward discovery...
- As the mink rose from the pond, the group attempted to hide with only partial success. The creature bore down on them, demanding to know who they were and why they were there. Clove was nearly captured, but in the end the three managed to make their escape.
- Retuning to the Blue Thistle Inn, they found Nendole already tending to the sick mouse, though she didn't seem terribly interested in the moss they'd gathered. As she tried to leave, Hakett lost his temper and grabbed her, causing her to shriek until his patrol mates freed her.
- Having seen to Tom as much as they could, the patrol left Copperwood heading back to Elmoss. They hoped to find some sign of Tom's wife Vereena, but none was found.
- When they arrived at Elmoss, they found that the settlement had been "closed" - and was no longer recognizing or allowing entry to Guardmice...
- The patrol headed north in search of the healer-mouse called Nendole. As they approached the area in which her hut was rumored to reside, they encountered a number of crude, mouse-like totems hanging from the surrounding trees, and Hakett's superstition and believe in the mystical overwhelmed him - causing visual and auditory halucinations of fog and menacing crows. The noise from his defiant cries attracted the attention of a nearby otter, whom Nipp just barely managed to convince that the armed guardmice would be more trouble than they're worth.
- Clove found the dead stump perched on the riverbank that contained the recluse's hut. They eventually convinced the eccentric mouse to speak with them, and even got her to begrudgingly agree to help. She sent them a bit further north to a pond to gather the necessary "springfire moss" - an plant which Nipp had never heard of.
- Locating the pond in a basin near the river, Nipp and Hakett went down to the water's edge to gather the very normal-looking moss, while Clove kept watch from the hilltop. It wasn't long before she saw the forms of a small band of ferrets making their way through the forest directly toward their location. More worrying, however, was the large mink now rising out of the water in front of Nipp and Hakett...
- The Patrol entered the settlement of Copperwood and made their way to the Blue Thistle Inn. Tom's condition had continued to deteriorate, and a faint with a nasty fall rendered him all but unconscious. Nipp attempted to help the local doctor - a young mouse called Riley - with his care, and had the physician tend to her own wounded leg as well. Unfortunately, Tom's wife hadn't made it to the inn, much distressing the innkeeper - her brother Bander.
- Meanwhile, Clove and Hacket met with Orpha, a captain for Copperwoods army, and discovered the largest problems currently facing the settlement were the driftwood that had dislodged from a beaver dam upstream and made the harbor and docks all but unusable, and the fact that a large and irritable snapping turtle had taken up residence a little ways downstream.
- While having dinner that evening at the Grainbarrel Tavern, they patrol met up with part of another patrol led by a mouse called Marta. She was interested to hear about the group's encounter with the ferrets and had Nipp place the location on their map as best she could. They had come down on Gwendolyn's request to speak with the leaders of the Copperwood army about their current strength and readiness, which they were so far evaluating as mediocre - but the efforts to clear the docks had taken most of their energies.
- The next morning, Riley was waiting for Nipp. Tom's condition had taken a bad turn in the night and his fever began to spike again. Riley's efforts were proving ineffective, and Nipp couldn't think of anything else to try herself. It was then that Elsie, the inn's chambermaid, hesitantly suggested that....maybe they could seek out a mouse called Nendole. A witch that lived in the forest north of town...
- The massive owl loomed out of the shadows, landing on the ground before them. It told them it was the hare it was after, and that the mice were free to leave. Rather than attempt to fight the enormous predator, Nipp tried instead to convince it that the hare had been poisoned by nearby ferrets and that eating it would in turn poison the owl. The owl seemed disinclined to believe the mouse, but as Nipp continued her insistence, it eventually became unwilling to take the chance.
- Unfortunately, Nipp convinced the owl not to eat the hare before she could direct its attention to the ferrets she knew were nearby, and the owl instead turned on the mice. Swooping down upon them, it grabbed both Nipp and Clove and began flying off with them.
- With some effort, Clove managed to free herself from its talon, but held on and made a heroic effort to free Nipp as well. Before she was able to, however, her grip finally failed and she fell back to the forest floor. Meanwhile, Nipp was able to identify a weak point in the bird's talon, and biting hard into it got the owl to drop her as well.
- Hakett, Tom and the hare began to make their way in the direction the owl had flown and, much to their surprise happened upon Clove and Nipp. At that moment, however, two of the ferrets from the burrow had caught up with them and were just about to leap onto the group when the owl suddenly swooped down on them from the darkness.
- As the predators struggled with each other, the group made their esape.
- Tom thanked the Guardmice for their aid and asked if they could take him to Copperwood where he hoped his wife was waiting for him. After 10 days of cautious travel, they arrived...
- Outside, the three had a brief discussion on what to do about the situation. Hearing something moving clumsily in the wood some distance away, Hakett decided to go investigate while Nipp & Clove decided to sneak in and attempt to free the captured mouse while the ferrets slept.
- Hakett happened upon a hare that had been injured by a ferret's spear. Unable to help the animal himself, he decided to return with Nipp. Meanwhile, Nipp and Clove discovered the door to the cell with the mouse was locked and neither were able to pick it open - fortunately, Hakett arrived and told them he thought he could get it open.
- While Haket climbed up and attempted to open the door's lock, Nipp used some oily supplies from her medicine bag to keep the hingest from squeaking.
- After freeing the mouse, they slipped out just as the ferrets began to wake.
- Hakett led them to the injured hare, but just as Nipp began to examine the animal, Hakett spotted a great owl leaving its perch...
- Iris & Ivy spoke to Jass for some time about his crystal, his version of the Elam Nethley tale, and his plans to get to the dwarven city of Unver Gaul to continue his search for the Heart of Shadow - as well as some discussion as to what they might do next themselves. When they said that the Nethley they had been pursuing was supposedly searching for a lost temple, he told them he had heard of a site called the Skytemple Ruins from one of the hunters.
- The shopkeeper Delna came to ask them if they could retrieve some special ferm leaves from the Blackwood Forest for her, as her normal supplier hadn't been to Laduun in some time.
- A couple of days later, Jass came to their inn at breakfast saying that he'd managed to get permission to enter the gate to Unver Gaul and asked if they wanted to accompany him. They had decided, howver, to pursue the lead at the Skytemple ruins and so parted ways. They agreed to leave word at the Cliffside Inn should they discover anything new regarding Elam Nethley.
- Iris & Ivy left Laduun an headed east along the cliffside to the place where a path wound through a massive cleft in the cliff. A few miles into the journey as they made their way through another narrow canyon, they were confronted by a winged, lion-like creature demanding all of their treasure...
- The patrol headed northeast from Elmoss back to the Tomstead with the intention of pursuing the ferrets they believed had been present and at least partially responsible for its destruction.
- Locating an old trail, they followed it for the better part of a day almost due south until they came to the entrance to an old ground hog burrow. They watched it for some time, seeing one ferret return. Later that night, they sneaked in and found a crack in the burrow wall leading into what must be a portion of the Darkheater - with a few ferrets inside. Listening to their conversations, they came to believe that the ferrets had captured and were holding one of the mice...
- Kole ran back to the shop to get Clove as Nip and Hakett engaged the spider and attempted to clear a path between it and the settlement's gate - eventually getting it open and letting the creature out. After ensuring that a couple of mice who had been bitten had received treatment, Nip returned to the shop to keep an eye on things there, while Kole, Clove, and Hakett went on to find the shopkeepers brother for questioning.
- The found Vessmer, a blacksmith of sorts, in a temporary shop outside his house on the north road. He was friendly enough until he caught sight of Kole and flew into an indignant rage, accusing the latter mouse of cheating in a previous card game. Clove and Hakett were able to subdue and calm the mouse enough to get some information out of him. He didn't like Kole but, while he may not have been a master craftsman, he thought his work seemed adequate.
- Upon returning to the shop, the resumed their discussion with Baddisk about Kole's pay. The shopkeeper tiredly proposed paying Kole half of what he had previously agreed. Kole wasn't especially pleased with the situation, but decided he was unlikely to get any more and agreed. Nip wrote copies of the document which each of them signed.
- Having settled the last of their commitments in Elmoss, the group set off for the Tomstead - hoping some trace of where the ferrets had gone remained...
- As Iris & Ivy fought the shadowy creatures descending from the cliff, they were joined by some of the town watch and the man Ivy had spoken to earlier in the day - and found that he also had a crystalline warrior that would appear to aid him in combat. Once the last of the creatures were destroyed, the two crystal warriors shook hands and vanished.