|Monday June 18, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper and Garrot load up Jumis and what supplies they had and manage to get the craft off the ground and some distance from the city before they came under attack by the perimeter defences. They took a hit to the craft's secondary propulsion systems, which Piper was able to patch while dangling from a makeshift harness. Once away, they discussed their overall plan. They decided they would stop in the Empire's "Twinned Cities" of Jargolamis/Luigolamis for supplies and components, and then make their way to the Garl Nave to cross the Black Riage into the Ba-Adenu forest and make their way northward from there over the Beyond. This would mean they'd have little hope of aid should their craft break down, but it also meant they would have little in the way of political trouble.
- Ganthet, Ronin, and their companions continued their fight against the margr band, slowly gaining the advantage. The holograms that had been shifting overhead suddenly vanished, and some sort of numenera device emerged from the ground - crowned with a bubble of pulsing energy. The leader and a couple of others broke off their fight with the intruders in order to interact with it: the leader seemed to activate certain controls while one of the others began frantically climbing the structure toward the energy bubble.
- Helios was awakened by a sudden tremor that knocked him out of the bunk and frantic pounding on the door. It also seemed to be "snowing" inside the building. Looking out the window, he saw some chaos in the Scavengers' Wreck, but nothing obviously corresponding with the cries of "let us in, it's going to kill us!" coming from the people outside. He poked his head through the door and told them to calm down, but they just ran off screaming. Seeing no apparent threat beyond the crazies outside, Helios barricaded the door and went back to sleep.
- Naran and Martylla had been making their way to the DataVault when the snow storm hit. Naran found that contact with the crystals caused vivid hallucinations and disorientation, but Martylla and the other skeane seemed unaffected. She made it to the DataVault only partially conscious and the next they she knew she was in some distorted facsimile of Arable. Uncertain of her surroundings but following the cues provided, she and Martylla navigated the construct, spoke with some of the "people" there, and eventually emerged with 3 marker keys. Taking advantage of the chaos created by the storm, Martylla was able to get them to an unattended "lift" within the vault where they could use their keys to access the correct data-drives to get the information they were after: where was Helios? The data in the vault seemed to answer their question - as well as a few more unasked.
|Saturday June 2, 2018 at 3:00pm||no thank you evil, trouble in space, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Pirate Hannah and her Pretty Pony got a job offer from an alien called Opik: he needed someone to accompany the child alien Zot on a space ship back to his home planet. He would give them 3 coins when Zot arrived safely.
- Shortly into the trip alarms began sounding. A message from Opik said there was some distrubance in the engine room. With some help from an android called Sassy, Hannah opened the hatch covering a secret ladder down into the workings of the ship. She made her way to the back of the ship, encountering some space rats, a bubble-gum making bird, and other strange creatures.
- The engine room was being devoured by a metal-eating creature called a Lacer. When she couldn't talk it into leaving, she tried to scare it off and then beat it up, but it proved too tough for her.
- In the end, Hannah lured the creature out of the engine room, and though it conked her out, Sassy arrived and was able to convince it to eat some of the junk in the storage room instead of gnawing on the engine.
This scenario from "Uh-Oh Monsters" was REALLY tough for a single PC - and that's AFTER I dialed it back a bit. In hindsight, instead of using deus-ex and having Sassy talk the Lacer out of eating the engine, I should have had the ship crash on a nearby planet and then Hannah would have to fix the ship to get Zot home - which would have been awesome. Unfortunately, I didn't think of that at the time. We'd been going for a while, and I could sense Hannah was running out of ideas, so I was trying to wrap it up. I'm also not super practiced at running published scenarios. Oh well, live and game and learn.
- Finding themselves threatened by rivals on apparently hostile turf, the Foxes did their best to play off the situation as expected. They told the leader of the Stone Club gang that they had come to patch things up and even suggested that the two crews should be working together. Their proposal got them a foot in the door (with help from some coin), but they got a bit demanding in the delivery and their "suggestions" were ultimately not well received. Before the situation could erupt into actual violence, they took their leave.
- Deciding to continue their search for a fence, Erik went to speak with his friend Telda, a Six Towers beggar. The woman initially told him off for his line of questioning, but later sent word to him about a hunched man with silver-gray hair called Zant who hangs out near the Black Circle Tavern.
- Piper and Garrot were led by Quince into the Court of Rarmon where they spoke with Lord Gyre. They were asked to explain the afternoon's "malfunction" and to give their opinion of ongoing threats. Some of the conversation began to sound accusatory when Quince made a proposal to the Lords to move all "significant and mysterious" numnera artifacts to the control of the crown by way of the city government. A few of those gathered took issue with this "overreach", but most seemed contentedly unaffected. Following the hearing, Piper returned to the Orrery with Garrot in order to help return it to a (more) stable condition and then made her way back to Olim's tower to find the airship almost ready for launch. After a brief conversation with him and some hurried preparations and last-minute checks, they decided the time had come to make their move - the test flight of their newly-completed airship would be a flight from the city's powers-that-be and into the Beyond.
- Ganthet, Ronin, and their company continued their fight against the margr as the holograms flashed and shifted overhead. Ronin attracted the attention of one of abhumans weilding a slug-thrower weapon and Ganthet engaged with the large, two-headed creature that seemed to be the leader while Tala, Ravri, Oorum and Shynd waded into the fray with other specimens. After being disarmed, Ganthet set off an electrical detonation cypher, which shocked and stunned most of those within the camp as a powerful energy beam from somewhere outside burned into the margr leader's chest
- Naran, Drokkan, and Helios attempted to hide as a band of well-equipped skeane descended upon the area. Their efforts were only partially successful, and both groups decided to leave the area rather than engage them. Helios, unsure of the location of his companions, set off toward the membrane gate leading back into the city of Rust and, once there, made his way to Drokkan's dwelling in the South Loop. Naran and Drokkan were trying to conceal themselves in their hiding place, but searchlights suggested they'd been spotted. Naran was doing her best not to let the growing dread become panic when she suddenly found herself back in the City of Rust. She set the injured Drokkan up in one of the public bunkhouses and went to speak with his skeane "friend" Martylla to see if she could find a way to determine Helios's wearabouts. Martylla suggested they check the DataVault.
- When the bubble teas hit the frozen ice rink, the froze solid into balls and rolled away - being chased by the Argle Bargles. Since she found herself trapped in the basement, Pirate Hannah decided to let them have the bubble teas for now and concentrate on getting back up the slide. She managed to talk the Argle Bargles into helping her up the slide, and they even gave her the rest of their (now frozen) bubble teas.
- Next she needed to get a clean pillowcase. Crystal Noele told her she could find one in the laundry shed behind the hotel, but when Hannah got there, she found it was full of Gunks who were busy dirtying all the clean laundry. She was able to get the only remaining clean pillowcase away from them, but got pretty 'gunked' herself in the process.
- The last component she needed was a room key. Cyrstal told Hannah that all of the keys were in use, and that the guests with them were trapped on the 3rd floor! Talking to the gardener gnome, Hannah borrowed a growing ladder and climbed into the 3rd floor window where she was able to talk a cat-person into giving her a room key.
- Once all the components were gathered, Hannah recited the incantation and the Jinn and Dragons went back to work, freezing the thawing hotel. Cyrstal Noele was so happy that she told Hannah that she and her Pretty Pony could stay at her hotel for free anytime.
- Pirate Hannah came with her Pretty Pony to stay in a famous Ice Palace Hotel in Into the Closet. When she arrived, however, she found the place to be melting. The owner, Crystal Noele, explained that the Jinn and the Snow Dragon that usually keep the place frozen had stopped working. When Hannah investigated, she found that the Jinn and the Dragon were under a 'Lazy Bum' spell, and to reverse it, she would have to gather some specific components.
- The first was "two partially-drunk glasses of bubble tea". Serios, the mouse who runs the hotel's cafe, told her he'd sold the last two to a couple of Argle Bargles, which had then gone down to the ice rink in the basement. Hannah found them there, and was able to steal the teas from them, but as she tried to escape back up the slide leading to the basement, she slipped and landed back in the rink as the Argle Bargles closed in...
- Piper and Garrot discovered the huge electromagnet that was part of the Orrery had malfunctioned, possibly as a side effect of their interface with the Atlas, and had pulled nearly all unanchored metal within a wide radius up to it. After considerable effort, they were able to disengage the magnet and release the objects it had collected in a relatively safe fashion. After this, they were escorted to the Sunken Palace, which they found still spinning, to speak with city authorities.
- Ronin and Ganthet met with several of the hunters of Arable to plan some action against the small abhuman margr band that had strangely taken up residence nearby and was, reportedly, harassing some of the outlying farms. Wanting to remove this threat without drawing the ire of the large tribe further northwest, they decided they would attack at night, allow none to escape, and leave no trace of their presence. As they launched their attack on the dozen or so margr and their two-headed leader, a number of large, holographic images of various people, places, and objects appeared within the battlefield.
- Naran and Drokkan contined to work to shut down the machine emitting the corrosive bubbles. The glowing fish began harassing them as they attempted to disable the device, some of which seemed to siphon energy from it to become larger and more menacing. Their efforts ultimately overloaded some part of the device, and it sent out one last shockwave that somehow encased every living thing in its path within an egg-like, red sphere. Naran cut her way out and made her way over to free Drokkan. She was able to cut him out as well, but he seemed to have faired more poorly and was barely concsious. It was then that they noticed lights from a craft overhead.
- Meanwhile, as Helios bargained with the two eleen tribemen for the spoils of the room they had discovered, a third eleen hurried into the room with a warning about kenlem in the area. Before they could make any real preparations, large, two-headed spiders began phasing into the room through the walls and ceiling. Helios grabbed what he could, and hurriedly forced himself back through the wall toward his home dimension. He emerged just in time to be hit by the bubble-machine's shockwave and found himself trapped in a spherical "egg" as well, from which he escaped by phasing through the solid shell, nearly exhausting his energy.
- Though slowed and badly damaged, the trucks made it back to the road. Both Aralakh and the attackers have sustained significant damage from the continuing firefight, but both sides seem determined not to back down...
- As the room continued to warm unnaturally and the ghost began its operatic song, Drave decided it was time to go - prying open the window and jumping out back into the courtyard.
- Meanwhile upstairs, Erik bolted after Lady Molfon, grabbing her arm in order to keep her from escaping with her armfuls of surely-illgotten jewelry. The ghost's song rattled something loose in his mind - visions of an icy gem that wouldn't go away - but he retained his hold and ordered her to give in. When she surrendered, he gathered up the jewels and bolted for an exit. Two of the guards caught sight of him as he made his escape, but he and Drave were over the wall and out of sight before they could engage in any sort of pursuit.
- Over the next few days, the crew got their payoff from Adelaide and made some efforts to reduce the amount of heat they were taking from this last operation. After taking some personal time as well, they met and decided that if they were going to be doing this sort of thing a lot, they'd need someone to help them move their goods.
- Drave's friend Flint could only give them the barest lead, and the two made their way to Doan's, a tiny backstreet bar and gambling den, to ask around -only to find themselves confronted by local rivals, the Stone Club...
|Friday April 27, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper spent some additional time in the Atlas with Garrot attempting to interact with the device in an intentional way. With considerably effort, she was able to activate the device again, focusing it on their area and where she believed her home town of Arable might be located. Using the device seemed to be physically taxing, however, and the intense pressure-headaches it triggered ultimately became unbearable. Believing she had adequate - if not abundant - guidance for where to direct their course, Garrot opened the hatch to descend back into the Orrery's control room, but stopped when he noticed something wrong...
- Ganthet used his lightening ability to jump to the entrance of the power vault to sever the liquid-like tentacle grasping his friend and the power core. As he hacked through it, Polious threw an electrical detonation cypher into the vicinity. Their combined effortes ruptured the tentacle, sending black acid all everywhere. The three were able to get the power core back into position and reconnected, but were not 100% satisfied with the resulting operations: Polious was concerned that the core was outputting too much power, but had to admit that any additional manipulation of the setup was likely to make things worse and not better. Above, they found that the Weathervane had stabilized closer to its "normal" operation, but that it's area of influence has shrunk considerably and Polious was concerned about a pinhole that had appeared in the perpetual clouds directly above the device's point. Over the next few days, townsfolk began making plans for clearing land and moving farms that were no longer under the influence of the artifact while Ronin, Ganthet, and the town's hunters discussed the growing presence of margr in the area...
- Helios, Naran, and Drokkan found a nearby area to rest before sending Helios back into the vault. Just before he began phasing through the metal door, a woman appeared among them asking to accompany him. It took them a few minutes to realize that this woman was a manifestation of the Sisters they had met in Mekel - she was apparently some sort of artificial construct housed within the numenera cube they had given to Helios and Naran. She wanted to find a place more suitable for herself, and believed the place Helios had found within the vault might offer more promise. Helios took the cube from Naran and phased through the door again. While looking around the room, he was met by two pale-skinned humans(?) who had some claim on the area he had discovered. They agreed to give him 1/3 of the contents of the room, which seemed fair. Meanwhile, Naran and Drokkan found themselves beset by dangerous bubbles issuing from what remained of the propulsion artifact they'd been examining when the whale awoke as well as a large rock-creature...