|Saturday August 11, 2018 at 10:00am||no thank you evil, fear factory, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Pirate Hannah and her little sister Olivia get a call for help from The Inspector. He had too many cases and needed someone capable to take over one or two of them. Hannah took a look at the wall and grabbed the 'Wanted' poster. A pair of Hobgoblins had stolen a bag full of coins from Big Bucks Bank and were hiding out in the Fear Factory.
- On the way to the Factory, they met a goblin salesman who tried to get them to buy a few things, but he didn't seem to have anything they wanted. The lock on the door to the factory didn't pose much of a challenge for the crafty pirate, and they ventured inside.
- After wandering through a few rooms of the abandoned toy factory, they encountered a Blunderbus who tried to steal a couple of coins from them. When confronted he told them that "they" made him do it, and he led them to the interior room where the Hobgoblins were holed up.
- Hannah's "Good Blaster" broke through the hobs' armor and made them feel very guilty. She tied them up and brought them back to The Inspector who told them that the theives were wanted by Lucy Lawful...
- Steiner took his Blackjack with Riley in the newly-acquired Hatchetman, Orion in his assassin, and Morgan in the Jenner into the western badlands to look for signs of 'mech activity related to the terrorist cell they'd been hunting.
- After some time in the badlands, they began picking up weak radio transmissions and began to notice sensor interference in their 'mechs. They ended up in a boxed canyon where they found a Flea and a Clint and a few semi-permenent structures.
- Engaging the units was more difficult than it should have been, largely due to whatever was causing the sensor scrambling. As they fought with the lighter units, Steiner realized that their foes were painted with obvious FWL colors, rather than the hodge-podge, bandit schemes they'd so far encountered on this contract. Further, the area they were occupying was almost certainly a dropship LZ.
- The lance managed to take out the Flea, but the threat increased significantly when reinforcements showed up in the form of a Vindicator who landed a couple PPC hits right out of the gate.
- Morgan turned his attention to the building the suspected of housing the sensor-jamming device in an attempt to remove that edge from their enemies. It was pretty heavily armored, but with some help from his allies, a couple rounds of sustained fire destroyed it and the interference they'd been experiencing cleared instantly.
- It was then that Steiner's sensors pegged their biggest problem: a 70-ton Marauder closing in on their position...
|Wednesday August 8, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- As Ronin attempted to cover Ravri's escape from the merkadian, Helios suddenly appeared between them and a large margr (Glaan) emerged from the chaos behind it. Helios and the margr engaged the spike assailant while Ronin fired at it with his bow, eventually piercing its chest and causing it to explode in a burst of green, electrical energy.
- While Kelon and Ganthet attempted to occupy the surrounding margr, Naran made her way to the controls of the large, wheeled cannon artifact as the a loosed crag worm bore down upon them. Naran was able to take control of the device and decipher the controls enough to get it moving in a direction away from the rampaging beast, driving it away through the chaos of the camp and out the other side.
- After taking a few more shots into the skirmishing margr with his numenera polyp weapon, Ronin sensed that they had done what they could and assisted the injured Ravri away from the encampment. Noticing the telltale signs of his brother's lightening abilities, Helios waded into the camp to help cover his escape. The warcamp now thoroughly consuming itself, the parties from Arable disengaged - each making their way back to the town by their own route. Only Kelon and Tala did not return.
- The townspeople were happy to be reunited with Naran and Helios, and there was more celebration on their return. Once she and Olim arrived, Piper spent some time with Polios fixing the dozen or so perplexing "bugs" that seemed to continue to plague the Weathervane, despite their efforts and what the Aeon Priest was sure should have worked.
- After some time had passed, Polious gathered them all together with some troubling news: the Weathervane was dying. A number of major components were shorting out and could not be replaced without depowering the entire system, but the burnout of a number of regulatory systems and the malfunctioning of interfaces meant that they only way they had to shut it down would also burn out the entire thing. On top of that, its power output seems to be much less than the core the group had recovered should be providing - and it's continuing to drop. He gives it less than two years of reduced operation before it burns out completely, and he has no contingency plan...
GM's Note: For the first time since Mar 6 2017, the party is completely reunited!!
- Drevan, Toulonne, and Braeggan flipped over the steel table and took cover behind it, returning a few shots with their pistols as they decided what to do. The building was on auto-lockdown, but the back door had been opened moments before the alarm was raised and wouldn't seal until it closed again. They attempted to give some covering fire while sending Braeggan out the door to (relative) safety.
- Moments later, the truck that had rammed through the wall exploded violently, killing many of the attackers while the rest ran away further into the building. Drevan and Toulonne pursued one down the hall and discovered that the stairwell doors - which should have been locked - were open. When they returned to the mess hall, security teams and medics were already on site. As the incident wound down, the two were asked some questions and allowed to leave.
- When the rest of the company returned, they found out from Riley that about 20 minutes after they left the battlefield continuing their escort mission, a Marauder and a Cyclops arrived on the scene. They all spent some time doing field repairs (enough to get the Whitworth moving again), and the group of them headed off to the west. Consulting the satellite maps, to the west was largely plainsland. Beyond this was a rugged badlands region, the compound of a wealthy noble, and the small port town of Urngen.
- The group also got word of the Bluesabres returning to the city and decided they wanted to find out what they knew. Steiner and Orion caught up with a couple of them at The Militiaman, and learned they'd found little in the mountains to the north, but that they had intercepted a Hermes II heading east and were currently working to salvage it. They figure the Hermes was heading into the forest, and they're planning to hit that area next.
- The company did some quick repairs to get a deployable recon lance and sent them to the badlands to the west while Rip, Toulonnne and a couple of crew went to speak with the noble.
|Tuesday July 31, 2018 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran returned to where Helios had been, only to find him missing. Looking around, she noticed Ganthet and Kelon in the camp below her, freeing the worms and fending off a merkadian. Still invisible, she made her way down the slope to some cover and began zapping the spiked man with sunbeams.
- Ganthet used his electrical affinity to awaken and prod the sedated crag worms, who lunged into the camp, adding to the chaos unfolding there. Kelon attempted to keep the merkadian's attention, which quickly devided between him, Ganthet, and whatever was searing him with bright yellow light. The three of them kept him unable to focus on a single target, and Naran was eventually able to finish him off.
- Trying to keep Ravri's quarry from spotting her, Ronin fired a couple of polyp canisters in his direction. The merkadian spotted him almost immediately and charged up into his hiding place. Not wanting to be cornered, Ronin leapt away into the darkness, but this turned the merkadian's attention elsewhere and he spotted Ravri just before she was able to backstab him. Ronin returned and began firing arrows and canisters into the resulting skirmish, but neither he nor Ravri seemed to be able to do much damage to the merkadian threat.
- The warcamp itself was quickly devolving into internal conflict. The margr gathered there were only loosely held together by merkadian control - and most of them resented the outsiders. One tribe leader in particular called Glaan, saw and opportunity as things began to unfold and made her move against the one called The Eye. As the duel began, the margr gathered, uncertain of what to do, waited to see how it would turn out - and thus who to side with. The resulting struggle was brief and brutal, but Glaan ultimately came out on top, crushing the merkadian's head with a final blow that dislodged its numenera eye.
- After killing the merkadian, Naran, Kelon, and Ganthet had a brief conversation about what to do next. They had killed a probably leader, but they still needed to do more to reduce the threat posed by this band. Seeing a large numenera machine powering up and rolling through the camp, they decided that would be their next target. Though outnumbered dozens to one, the three waded into the camp, fighting off abhumans as they went, until they reached the device.
- Ronin and Ravri, both beaten down signficantly, began to make a retreat to the north, away from the fight. Ronin used his numenera device to put as many polyp growths between them and the merkadian as possible, but it was only slowing him down.
- Glaan, having wondered through the camp in search of the other oppressors, finally spotted the green numenera discharges of the one called The Fist. She shoved her way through the intervening chaos, emerging to see the merkadian wading through a growth of red polyps toward some unknown attacker in the darkness...
GM's Note: This situation turned into a rather lengthy and complex encounter. Because Piper is not present - and is, in fact, weeks further in the timeline than the others - I decided to give Keara an NPC to play in this engagement. Indicating she wanted to do something a bit different, I decided I would give her one of the margr of the camp - the leader of a sub-tribe who chafed against the merkadian's cowing of the others. While this character was created just prior to this session, the idea of characters like Glaan present in the warcamp was always there, so it was easy enough to flesh out one of them and hand it off. Keara really enjoyed the change of pace, and getting a different perspective on the chaos of the encounter was interesting for everyone.
|Tuesday July 24, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Pursued by a patrol of margr, Ronin, Ganthet, and the others scatter into the rugged landscape, forcing the enemies to split up and losing some of them in the process. A few isolated skirmishes resulted, with somewhat varied outcomes.
- Ganthet and Kelon regrouped and decided that something must be done about the greater tribe. Neither had a solid plan, so they decided to go for the desperate one that seemed to have the best chance of doing some good: if they could release and prod the juvenile cragworms, the beasts might be able to do enough damage to significantly weaken the horde.
- Ronin had a brief fight with the one margr chasing him and made his way to a nearby skirmish where he found Ravri being attacked by several - including an obvious leader. The fight took a toll on them both, but with some good fortune they take out the big guy and took off before too many more could arrive. Deciding that the game is up, they also made their way back toward the encampment - Ronin decided that freeing the cragworms they'd seen earlier was their best bet at keeping the tribe from attacking Arable, though Ravri seemed dubious.
- Meanwhile, Naran and Helios were attacked by another patrol as they wandered unknowingly into the margr's territory. They fought off their attackers, but lost their pack animal in the process. Gathering the remaining supplies, they continued on their way - only to stumble upon the encampment from above.
- As Ronin and Ravri made their way around the camp from the north, Ronin caught sight of Ganthet sneaking in and cutting the ropes tying the beasts down. Noticing another group of margr approaching the area, he fired his red-polyp numenera weapon into their midst, creating confusion and buying his companions some time. Taking note of the effectiveness of the tactic, he maneuvered into a different position and fired again into the camp as Ravri moved off in another direction.
- Above, Naran and Helios spotted a patrol heading their way. Naran made herself invisible and teleported to the far side of the patrol in a bright flash of light, startling and disorienting them.
- Ganthet and Kelon managed to cut the cables on the worms without being seen, and the most agitated of them lunged into the camp, devouring whatever margr it came across. As he carefully pulled back into the shadows at the edge of the camp, Helios, who had been watching the scene from above, recognized his brother.
- Ronin took notice of the figures in spikes investigating the chaos happening in the camp with a bit more focus than their abhuman counterparts. As one moved closer to his position, he saw Ravri, all but in the open, creeping up behind it with her knife drawn...
- The Foxes decided their next move would be against Drave's rival - a witch called Quellyn. She had apparently bound a ghost which was now haunting Drave in an attempt to get him to free it. They did a little legwork in Crow's Foot prior to the operation, but didn't manage to get much more than some dirty looks.
- The gang made their way into the sewers and tunnels near the witch's tower where they found a boarded-up hole in its basement wall protected by some sort of ghost ward. Drave was able to dismantle the magical protections and Erik quickly pried the boards out before they could be spotted.
- Inside the tower, they made their way toward the upper chamber Drave had seen in a vision. They were caught by a mad, howling spectre which injected their minds with horrific visions before Drave managed to drive it off.
- Finally making their way up the brittle iron staircase into the upper chamber, they found the hanging dolls exactly where they expected them - and they could also hear Quellyn's voice chanting upstairs. Peering into the ghost field, Drave was able to find the ghost he was trying to free and identify the doll anchor binding it to the witch. With Erik's help, they cut the anchor down intact and made off before Quellyn could catch them - though the only loot they found was a small wooden box full of gold teeth.
- The Foxes returned to their neighborhood to discover that Flint, one of their contacts, had been questioned by the Bluecoats and may have let slip a couple of details about the Foxes' operations. The crew did manage to do a little recruiting - picking up a small gang of rooks to help them cover their territory.
|Tuesday July 17, 2018 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios met up with some scavengers outside the Empty Machine and followed them back to the quasi-permanent encampment nearby. They bartered for food, water, and a shelter from the supply caravan that had arrived from the north and set out toward Arable. Late in the evening of the 4th day, as they wandered through a badlands region, the found themselves surrounded by a small band of margr...
- Ronin and Ganthet discussed their situation with the other hunters and made some decisions. A few of them attempted to pursue the margr that had fled from the battle but were ultimately unable to catch it. The others moved into a recon position to survey the larger tribe. They found an unusually large group of 200+ margr, possibly being led by a couple of spike-covered humanoids, that had apparently captured a few juvenille cragworms. As they talked about what they'd found, margr nearby were alerted to their presence...
- Piper, Olim, and Jumis made their way through the scrublands toward Arable. They happened upon some machinery surrounded by deep, black oil on the way through. When they reached the city, they were greeted by Neen - deputy Urshan's pet seskii.
|Saturday June 23, 2018 at 9:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper and Olim made their way into Luigolamis. They spoke to a couple of guardsmen who gave them some tips on navigating the city. They were able to acquire supplies from the lakeshore markets, but had little luck finding suitable components for their damaged airship. As they made their way out, an alarm sounded throughout the Twinned Cities and the energy barrier was activated - apparently a bandit army was closing in and the city needed to be sealed. Piper and Olim used a cypher they'd acquired and a makeshift zipline to escape. Once back to the airship, they set out once more for the Beyond.
- Ganthet began climbing the numenera device that had risen from the sands in an attempt to reach the top before the margr as Ronin fired arrows at the remaining enemies. Ganthet managed to knock the climbing margr from the device and, continuing to its top, found another numenera objcet being created within teh energy bubble at the top. As the hunters closed in on the remaining margr, Ronin gained the leader's attention. As the massive, two-headed margr charged at him, he pulled and fired the weapon he'd taken from one of the others. His shot was perfect and the leader was consumed from the inside by toxic fungal polyps. Their remaining foes had fallen, but they knew at least one had escaped in the fray - certainly heading northwest to the larger tribe.
- Naran and Helios rejoined Drokkan at the bunk house. After a a bit more rest, Drokkan agreed to take them to the machine he'd found as promised. On the way there, he became increasingly wary - and when they arrived he found a glyph that unnerved him. As he warned them that they shouldn't remain in the area long, Naran began to examine the complex device. The center of the room seemed to contain a bubble of space somehow "pulled" from another location. She discerned that, if one were to break the containment field, that person could enter the bubble and be transported to the place displayed. In a stroke of considerable good fortune, she not only located the controls to alter the location displayed, but found several "presets" that showed floating obelisks - one of which she recognized from Polious' stories as the Amber Monolith. From there, she was able to adjust the location eastward until Helios recognized the Empty Machine - a landmark not more than a hundred miles or so northwest of Arable. It was at this point they ran out of time. As a greenish mist began to fill the room, Naran activated to device and she and Helios jumped into the portal - telling Drokkan he could come with them, but that it was a one-way trip.
- Piper and Olim traveled slowly but steadily on their airship for several days - through the Black Riage via the Garl Knave, westward to the enormous Ba-Adenu forest, and then north to the plains of Kataru. They saw distant lights in the impossibly-tall black mountains, the great mass of the largest trees either of them had ever seen, a massive automaton with a glass-like spherical head, a landscape bent down by the inexplicably-sustained gusts of hurricane-force winds, and a silver thread reaching all the way into the heavens in the eastern distance. After a few days, however, their craft began to experience various levels of malfunction. They worked tirelessly to keep it stable, in the air, and continuing north, but it became apparent that eventual failure was inevitable. For the last several miles, the all but scraped the surface of the barren landscape before the craft dug into the dull earth and came to a stop. In the distance, however, Piper could just make out the point of what appeared to be Aglarion's Watchtower - and landmark only a few miles south of Arable.
- Aralakh managed to keep the advantage in their struggle against the raiders, but as the trucks pulled away and the enemy force split they were forced to make a decision: would they stay with the trucks and ensure they arrived safely at their destination, or would they fight it out and try to recover their downed Panther? They ultimately opted for the former, bringing their mission success/failure record and units gained/lost both to 1:1.
- Meanwhile, Drevan and Toulonne were back at the garrison at Lysida City talking with Braeggan (their master tech) in the mess hall about repairs to the Grasshopper, when they suddenly found themselves attack as an armored vehicle smashed through the wall and automatic gunfire sprayed into the room.