|Thursday September 27, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group was able to ward off the attacking predators with Naran's daylight abilities, directed by Piper's artifact which had tuned in to their dimensional energy signature.
- Continuing on, they eventually left the fern-encrusted tunnel, finding their way along catwalks suspended in nothingness to a vault that had been torn open from the inside. 6 massive tentacles protruted from it in different directions, and within it was a swirling vortex of black smoke.
- Once they moved into position, Naran used the artifact Piper had made to amplify her cutting light abilities to sear away the darkness - but each time she did so, she became weaker. The others fought off the flock of bat-like shadows that began streaming from it, and they all did their best to dodge the great tentacles which reeled themselves in and began grasping at the intruders.
- As the blackness was cleared, they were able to catch a glimpse of the interior of the vault - where they saw the source of the living void: an open book. When the last of the blackness was burned away, the book lay inert on the vault floor - the faintest wisp of black smoke issuing from its pages.
- The void intrusion now disrupted, the group suddenly found themselves in some sort of control room amdist blaring alarms, frantic error displays, and components and terminals which were burning out and arcing eletricity - the system was overloading. Against all odds, Piper, Naran, and Ronin managed to manipulate the system to bleed off the excess power and return it to a relatively stable condition.
- The group made their way back to the surface, where they found Polious looking somewhat relieved. The Weathervane had stabilized - and, even better, was now operating at about 85% of ideal output - a marked improvement from the unstable 30-50% they'd been getting previously. While its days were still numbered, he was optimistic that they would have at least another 5 years to prepare for its ultimate failure.
END OF CHAPTER 1
GM's Note: Chapter 1. This is chapter 1. And it took us two years and 62 sessions to get through. I think the reasons for the long timeline were a combination of having the party split for so long, having short 1.5 - 2.5 hr game sessions, and that there is just SO MUCH to explore in the Ninth World and beyond. Also, our group tends to "take the long way". Don't get me wrong, the campaign has been a blast, but they have only scratched the surface. For now, however, we're going to set this one aside and play some other things. On our return, my plan for Chapter 2 is to advance the timeline a significant distance into the future: the players will construct a new generation of explorers set to build on the discoveries this group has made.
|Tuesday September 25, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Piper headed back to town, where they found that the ruin surrounding their settlement seemed to have "energized" in some way. Polious was reporting that output levels for the Weathervane were averaging around 120% - up from about the 30-40% of the preceding weeks - but that the system was increasingly unstable.
- Piper resumed work on the devices the group needed to address the problem and was able to finish them over the next several hours.
- Ronin, Ganthet, and Helios made their way through the night back to Arable, having a brief encounter with a strange, hovering eye covered in voluminous robes. It seemed to have "left" something for them - a component that turned out to be *exactly* what Piper needed to finish the devices she was working on.
- After resting up, the group headed once more into the corridors below the Weathervane - searching for the epicenter of the dimensional-void they had been encountering. Using the 'detector' Piper had made, they found their way deep into the ruin, through large sections that seemed to be "missing", and ultimately onto a long, twisting set of catwalks extending out into seeming nothingness.
- Eventually, the pathway led them to a large spherical chamber - from the outside closely resembling the control room they had just scavenged in the B Dome - but the inside was covered in luminous purple ferns. As they made their way through it, Ronin began to suspect that they were being watched - just before they found themselves under attack by shadowy beast that seemed to materialize from a cloud of black smoke...
|Thursday September 20, 2018 at 8:30pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (2) »|
- The Foxes were given a job offer to steal a set of paints from an artist in Charterhall that had been illegally infused with spirit essences. It promised to be an easy score with a decent payout and since they were needing some cash quickly to get what they needed to stay ahead of the Stone Club, they took it.
- The target was located in the old Charter Wall community, and Erik and Boros quickly encountered a Bluecoat presence, intoxicated citizens, and a level of midnight activity they weren't used to in Six Towers.
- They broke into the artist's studio and were rummaging around when they began to encounter spiritual activity. As one of the paintings began to wail and distraught ghosts began manifesting, Erik grabbed a couple of the paints and took off in a near-panic. Boros steeled himself enough to grab a couple others as well as the howling artwork before making his getaway.
- The two were successful in their mission, but they were seen clearly by one of the local Bluecoats, a drunk, and Crenoll - the artist they robbed.
|Tuesday September 18, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- As Piper pried the last of the needed components from the machinery, the system's stability reached a tipping point. The pulsing blue lights in the sphere above them turned a dark red and alarms began to sound. As they made their way back to the hatchway, several spherical maintenance automatons activated, though only one seemed to be functioning correctly.
- Outside, Ganthet and Helios confronted the many-mouthed being. Before any real fighting began, however, it was distracted by another of its kind that had targeted Ronin. As the two creatures argued and fought, the three of them withdrew, rejoining their friends, and all of them hurried toward the exit to the sphere - which was now full of flashing red lights and vibrating intensely.
- Once back at the entrance, Ronin, Ganthet, and Helios used their own abilities to descend from the sphere while Naran teleported herself and Piper directly back to Arable - or, close to it. They arrived a few miles south of town at Aglarion's watchtower. They were close enough, however, to see the stormclouds gathering to the south, the tribe of brutish abhumans approaching from that direction, and the billowing plume of smoke rising from beneath the southeast side of Arable - which had now pulled itself about 50 feet up and out of the ground...
It had been a while since Tony and I went out on a real caching adventure, so we made plans about a month ago to go out last saturday - and those plans actually happened! We weren't out quite as long and didn't go quite as far as we might have liked, but we had a great time and a good adventure in a new area.
It had been probably a decade since I'd been out to the 'Blue Hole', and Tony had never seen it - and there were a few caches in the area that hadn't been found in some time. Plus it would mean tromping through the back woods in search of ammo boxes. Win-win.
The biggest adventure was going after one of DMFlyer's 'Adventure Awaits' caches - which always prove a good time. This venerable cache hadn't been found in nearly two years, and I'm not really surprised as it's located about .4 up a wooded hollow and, depending on which way you go and how you define the word, there are either *two* trails, or there are *no* trails.
The lack of direction/landmarks gave us some trouble with the hint and locating the cache as well, but we eventually made the find - it was still present and in good shape.
There are several more targets up that way we'll be hitting in the future - hopefully later this fall.
These are the outings I love.
We enjoyed the Appalachain Ren Faire again this year. Always like seeing the Lords of Chivalry. Had some interesting conversations and saw some cool performances. And shooting at events like this is always a good time - here's what I got.
We're toying with the idea of making costumes for next year, because we've always thought that would be fun.
- Aralakh continued their fight against the FWL attackers, but fortune seemed to be against them. Rip's Crusader nearly had its cockpit bashed in by the 95-ton Banshee, and Drevan's Warhammer has been so battered and shot-up that it has only a single medium laser remaining. The company has managed to return some of the damage they've received, and while they've burned off a good chunk of armor, they haven't managed to inflict any real damage on their opponents.
- Orion's Assassin is virtually untouched but Aralakh's biggest ace is the lostech Phoenix Hawk, which is also still in good shape. Will it be enough to turn the tide? And how is the rest of the planetary defense shaking out?
|Tuesday September 4, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper and Helios fought off the sathosh, though some sort of smoke cypher nearly killed Piper - Ronin was able to save her by sacrificing one of the artifacts they'd taken from the abhumans.
- Meanwhile, Naran found some sort of access terminal and was able not only to stop the deafening noise, but also learn something about the ruin they were in and where they might be able to find the components they were seeking.
- The group reunited, and Naran led them deeper into the structure toward something she'd seen in the readouts labeled as an environmental processor - it would likely have the sensors they needed.
- Finding their way to that region proved difficult, however, as broken corridors and other obstructions blocked what should have been open pathways. They found themselves in a cavernous space that had been overgrown by mushroom-like fungus. Within this area, they found the entrance to the chamber they were seeking: a hatchway in the top of what seemed to be a 100' sphere.
- As Naran and Piper climbed inside and began cannibalizing what they could from the machinery within - being careful not to disrupt any systems that would prove hazardous - Ganthet, Helios, and Ronin found a humanoid bat-creature that had been captured. As they freed it, they were interrupted by a strange, skulking humanoid with a head covered in mouths...
- Having altered their contract by doubling their pay, the Lysidas Barony secured Aralakh's services to help repel the coming planetary assault. Deciding they would meet the FWL forces on the plains to the northwest, the company set up their defenses.
- Aralakh's primary lance met the spearhead lance of the assault: a Vindicator, Dragon, and Banshee led by the defected Marauder pilot they'd previously encountered. All of them skilled mechwarriors, the skirmish promised to get brutal very quickly.
- The forces traded missles and long-range potshots as they closed. The first real exchange chewed off some armor from the Vindicator and dented the Maruader a little, but it was the second salvo that proved more significant: a face-off between the Warhammer and the Marauder. Drevan led with a lucky PPC headshot that almost destroyed his foe, but the Maruader came back with a series of strikes that pounded through its right torso, destroying his SRM/6 and its ammo bin. A split-second premonition before the hit prompted Drevan to dump the missiles, keeping his unit from being ripped apart from the inside only moments after initial contact...
|Monday August 27, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group returned once more to the "B Dome" - this time with Piper - in order to find components she needs to complete the the devices they require to help them address the blackness plaguing Arable.
- They encountered some sathosh on the way, including one particularly unusual individual in white, robe-like garb and weilding obvious numenera. With the help of a hologram their presence seemed to have triggered, Piper and Helios found their way up into some sort of control chamber...