|Tuesday July 17, 2018 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios met up with some scavengers outside the Empty Machine and followed them back to the quasi-permanent encampment nearby. They bartered for food, water, and a shelter from the supply caravan that had arrived from the north and set out toward Arable. Late in the evening of the 4th day, as they wandered through a badlands region, the found themselves surrounded by a small band of margr...
- Ronin and Ganthet discussed their situation with the other hunters and made some decisions. A few of them attempted to pursue the margr that had fled from the battle but were ultimately unable to catch it. The others moved into a recon position to survey the larger tribe. They found an unusually large group of 200+ margr, possibly being led by a couple of spike-covered humanoids, that had apparently captured a few juvenille cragworms. As they talked about what they'd found, margr nearby were alerted to their presence...
- Piper, Olim, and Jumis made their way through the scrublands toward Arable. They happened upon some machinery surrounded by deep, black oil on the way through. When they reached the city, they were greeted by Neen - deputy Urshan's pet seskii.
|Saturday June 23, 2018 at 9:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper and Olim made their way into Luigolamis. They spoke to a couple of guardsmen who gave them some tips on navigating the city. They were able to acquire supplies from the lakeshore markets, but had little luck finding suitable components for their damaged airship. As they made their way out, an alarm sounded throughout the Twinned Cities and the energy barrier was activated - apparently a bandit army was closing in and the city needed to be sealed. Piper and Olim used a cypher they'd acquired and a makeshift zipline to escape. Once back to the airship, they set out once more for the Beyond.
- Ganthet began climbing the numenera device that had risen from the sands in an attempt to reach the top before the margr as Ronin fired arrows at the remaining enemies. Ganthet managed to knock the climbing margr from the device and, continuing to its top, found another numenera objcet being created within teh energy bubble at the top. As the hunters closed in on the remaining margr, Ronin gained the leader's attention. As the massive, two-headed margr charged at him, he pulled and fired the weapon he'd taken from one of the others. His shot was perfect and the leader was consumed from the inside by toxic fungal polyps. Their remaining foes had fallen, but they knew at least one had escaped in the fray - certainly heading northwest to the larger tribe.
- Naran and Helios rejoined Drokkan at the bunk house. After a a bit more rest, Drokkan agreed to take them to the machine he'd found as promised. On the way there, he became increasingly wary - and when they arrived he found a glyph that unnerved him. As he warned them that they shouldn't remain in the area long, Naran began to examine the complex device. The center of the room seemed to contain a bubble of space somehow "pulled" from another location. She discerned that, if one were to break the containment field, that person could enter the bubble and be transported to the place displayed. In a stroke of considerable good fortune, she not only located the controls to alter the location displayed, but found several "presets" that showed floating obelisks - one of which she recognized from Polious' stories as the Amber Monolith. From there, she was able to adjust the location eastward until Helios recognized the Empty Machine - a landmark not more than a hundred miles or so northwest of Arable. It was at this point they ran out of time. As a greenish mist began to fill the room, Naran activated to device and she and Helios jumped into the portal - telling Drokkan he could come with them, but that it was a one-way trip.
- Piper and Olim traveled slowly but steadily on their airship for several days - through the Black Riage via the Garl Knave, westward to the enormous Ba-Adenu forest, and then north to the plains of Kataru. They saw distant lights in the impossibly-tall black mountains, the great mass of the largest trees either of them had ever seen, a massive automaton with a glass-like spherical head, a landscape bent down by the inexplicably-sustained gusts of hurricane-force winds, and a silver thread reaching all the way into the heavens in the eastern distance. After a few days, however, their craft began to experience various levels of malfunction. They worked tirelessly to keep it stable, in the air, and continuing north, but it became apparent that eventual failure was inevitable. For the last several miles, the all but scraped the surface of the barren landscape before the craft dug into the dull earth and came to a stop. In the distance, however, Piper could just make out the point of what appeared to be Aglarion's Watchtower - and landmark only a few miles south of Arable.
- Aralakh managed to keep the advantage in their struggle against the raiders, but as the trucks pulled away and the enemy force split they were forced to make a decision: would they stay with the trucks and ensure they arrived safely at their destination, or would they fight it out and try to recover their downed Panther? They ultimately opted for the former, bringing their mission success/failure record and units gained/lost both to 1:1.
- Meanwhile, Drevan and Toulonne were back at the garrison at Lysida City talking with Braeggan (their master tech) in the mess hall about repairs to the Grasshopper, when they suddenly found themselves attack as an armored vehicle smashed through the wall and automatic gunfire sprayed into the room.
|Monday June 18, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper and Garrot load up Jumis and what supplies they had and manage to get the craft off the ground and some distance from the city before they came under attack by the perimeter defences. They took a hit to the craft's secondary propulsion systems, which Piper was able to patch while dangling from a makeshift harness. Once away, they discussed their overall plan. They decided they would stop in the Empire's "Twinned Cities" of Jargolamis/Luigolamis for supplies and components, and then make their way to the Garl Nave to cross the Black Riage into the Ba-Adenu forest and make their way northward from there over the Beyond. This would mean they'd have little hope of aid should their craft break down, but it also meant they would have little in the way of political trouble.
- Ganthet, Ronin, and their companions continued their fight against the margr band, slowly gaining the advantage. The holograms that had been shifting overhead suddenly vanished, and some sort of numenera device emerged from the ground - crowned with a bubble of pulsing energy. The leader and a couple of others broke off their fight with the intruders in order to interact with it: the leader seemed to activate certain controls while one of the others began frantically climbing the structure toward the energy bubble.
- Helios was awakened by a sudden tremor that knocked him out of the bunk and frantic pounding on the door. It also seemed to be "snowing" inside the building. Looking out the window, he saw some chaos in the Scavengers' Wreck, but nothing obviously corresponding with the cries of "let us in, it's going to kill us!" coming from the people outside. He poked his head through the door and told them to calm down, but they just ran off screaming. Seeing no apparent threat beyond the crazies outside, Helios barricaded the door and went back to sleep.
- Naran and Martylla had been making their way to the DataVault when the snow storm hit. Naran found that contact with the crystals caused vivid hallucinations and disorientation, but Martylla and the other skeane seemed unaffected. She made it to the DataVault only partially conscious and the next they she knew she was in some distorted facsimile of Arable. Uncertain of her surroundings but following the cues provided, she and Martylla navigated the construct, spoke with some of the "people" there, and eventually emerged with 3 marker keys. Taking advantage of the chaos created by the storm, Martylla was able to get them to an unattended "lift" within the vault where they could use their keys to access the correct data-drives to get the information they were after: where was Helios? The data in the vault seemed to answer their question - as well as a few more unasked.
|Saturday June 2, 2018 at 3:00pm||no thank you evil, trouble in space, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Pirate Hannah and her Pretty Pony got a job offer from an alien called Opik: he needed someone to accompany the child alien Zot on a space ship back to his home planet. He would give them 3 coins when Zot arrived safely.
- Shortly into the trip alarms began sounding. A message from Opik said there was some distrubance in the engine room. With some help from an android called Sassy, Hannah opened the hatch covering a secret ladder down into the workings of the ship. She made her way to the back of the ship, encountering some space rats, a bubble-gum making bird, and other strange creatures.
- The engine room was being devoured by a metal-eating creature called a Lacer. When she couldn't talk it into leaving, she tried to scare it off and then beat it up, but it proved too tough for her.
- In the end, Hannah lured the creature out of the engine room, and though it conked her out, Sassy arrived and was able to convince it to eat some of the junk in the storage room instead of gnawing on the engine.
This scenario from "Uh-Oh Monsters" was REALLY tough for a single PC - and that's AFTER I dialed it back a bit. In hindsight, instead of using deus-ex and having Sassy talk the Lacer out of eating the engine, I should have had the ship crash on a nearby planet and then Hannah would have to fix the ship to get Zot home - which would have been awesome. Unfortunately, I didn't think of that at the time. We'd been going for a while, and I could sense Hannah was running out of ideas, so I was trying to wrap it up. I'm also not super practiced at running published scenarios. Oh well, live and game and learn.
- Finding themselves threatened by rivals on apparently hostile turf, the Foxes did their best to play off the situation as expected. They told the leader of the Stone Club gang that they had come to patch things up and even suggested that the two crews should be working together. Their proposal got them a foot in the door (with help from some coin), but they got a bit demanding in the delivery and their "suggestions" were ultimately not well received. Before the situation could erupt into actual violence, they took their leave.
- Deciding to continue their search for a fence, Erik went to speak with his friend Telda, a Six Towers beggar. The woman initially told him off for his line of questioning, but later sent word to him about a hunched man with silver-gray hair called Zant who hangs out near the Black Circle Tavern.
- Piper and Garrot were led by Quince into the Court of Rarmon where they spoke with Lord Gyre. They were asked to explain the afternoon's "malfunction" and to give their opinion of ongoing threats. Some of the conversation began to sound accusatory when Quince made a proposal to the Lords to move all "significant and mysterious" numnera artifacts to the control of the crown by way of the city government. A few of those gathered took issue with this "overreach", but most seemed contentedly unaffected. Following the hearing, Piper returned to the Orrery with Garrot in order to help return it to a (more) stable condition and then made her way back to Olim's tower to find the airship almost ready for launch. After a brief conversation with him and some hurried preparations and last-minute checks, they decided the time had come to make their move - the test flight of their newly-completed airship would be a flight from the city's powers-that-be and into the Beyond.
- Ganthet, Ronin, and their company continued their fight against the margr as the holograms flashed and shifted overhead. Ronin attracted the attention of one of abhumans weilding a slug-thrower weapon and Ganthet engaged with the large, two-headed creature that seemed to be the leader while Tala, Ravri, Oorum and Shynd waded into the fray with other specimens. After being disarmed, Ganthet set off an electrical detonation cypher, which shocked and stunned most of those within the camp as a powerful energy beam from somewhere outside burned into the margr leader's chest
- Naran, Drokkan, and Helios attempted to hide as a band of well-equipped skeane descended upon the area. Their efforts were only partially successful, and both groups decided to leave the area rather than engage them. Helios, unsure of the location of his companions, set off toward the membrane gate leading back into the city of Rust and, once there, made his way to Drokkan's dwelling in the South Loop. Naran and Drokkan were trying to conceal themselves in their hiding place, but searchlights suggested they'd been spotted. Naran was doing her best not to let the growing dread become panic when she suddenly found herself back in the City of Rust. She set the injured Drokkan up in one of the public bunkhouses and went to speak with his skeane "friend" Martylla to see if she could find a way to determine Helios's wearabouts. Martylla suggested they check the DataVault.
- When the bubble teas hit the frozen ice rink, the froze solid into balls and rolled away - being chased by the Argle Bargles. Since she found herself trapped in the basement, Pirate Hannah decided to let them have the bubble teas for now and concentrate on getting back up the slide. She managed to talk the Argle Bargles into helping her up the slide, and they even gave her the rest of their (now frozen) bubble teas.
- Next she needed to get a clean pillowcase. Crystal Noele told her she could find one in the laundry shed behind the hotel, but when Hannah got there, she found it was full of Gunks who were busy dirtying all the clean laundry. She was able to get the only remaining clean pillowcase away from them, but got pretty 'gunked' herself in the process.
- The last component she needed was a room key. Cyrstal told Hannah that all of the keys were in use, and that the guests with them were trapped on the 3rd floor! Talking to the gardener gnome, Hannah borrowed a growing ladder and climbed into the 3rd floor window where she was able to talk a cat-person into giving her a room key.
- Once all the components were gathered, Hannah recited the incantation and the Jinn and Dragons went back to work, freezing the thawing hotel. Cyrstal Noele was so happy that she told Hannah that she and her Pretty Pony could stay at her hotel for free anytime.
- Pirate Hannah came with her Pretty Pony to stay in a famous Ice Palace Hotel in Into the Closet. When she arrived, however, she found the place to be melting. The owner, Crystal Noele, explained that the Jinn and the Snow Dragon that usually keep the place frozen had stopped working. When Hannah investigated, she found that the Jinn and the Dragon were under a 'Lazy Bum' spell, and to reverse it, she would have to gather some specific components.
- The first was "two partially-drunk glasses of bubble tea". Serios, the mouse who runs the hotel's cafe, told her he'd sold the last two to a couple of Argle Bargles, which had then gone down to the ice rink in the basement. Hannah found them there, and was able to steal the teas from them, but as she tried to escape back up the slide leading to the basement, she slipped and landed back in the rink as the Argle Bargles closed in...
- Piper and Garrot discovered the huge electromagnet that was part of the Orrery had malfunctioned, possibly as a side effect of their interface with the Atlas, and had pulled nearly all unanchored metal within a wide radius up to it. After considerable effort, they were able to disengage the magnet and release the objects it had collected in a relatively safe fashion. After this, they were escorted to the Sunken Palace, which they found still spinning, to speak with city authorities.
- Ronin and Ganthet met with several of the hunters of Arable to plan some action against the small abhuman margr band that had strangely taken up residence nearby and was, reportedly, harassing some of the outlying farms. Wanting to remove this threat without drawing the ire of the large tribe further northwest, they decided they would attack at night, allow none to escape, and leave no trace of their presence. As they launched their attack on the dozen or so margr and their two-headed leader, a number of large, holographic images of various people, places, and objects appeared within the battlefield.
- Naran and Drokkan contined to work to shut down the machine emitting the corrosive bubbles. The glowing fish began harassing them as they attempted to disable the device, some of which seemed to siphon energy from it to become larger and more menacing. Their efforts ultimately overloaded some part of the device, and it sent out one last shockwave that somehow encased every living thing in its path within an egg-like, red sphere. Naran cut her way out and made her way over to free Drokkan. She was able to cut him out as well, but he seemed to have faired more poorly and was barely concsious. It was then that they noticed lights from a craft overhead.
- Meanwhile, as Helios bargained with the two eleen tribemen for the spoils of the room they had discovered, a third eleen hurried into the room with a warning about kenlem in the area. Before they could make any real preparations, large, two-headed spiders began phasing into the room through the walls and ceiling. Helios grabbed what he could, and hurriedly forced himself back through the wall toward his home dimension. He emerged just in time to be hit by the bubble-machine's shockwave and found himself trapped in a spherical "egg" as well, from which he escaped by phasing through the solid shell, nearly exhausting his energy.