|Thursday March 12, 2020 at 9:00pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The Foxes met up with Boros and the rooks who'd been waiting nearby; they joined the group while Drave went to investigate the reports they'd gotten about their hideout in the Coalridge mine. As they entered Doan's to get rid of the bouncers, they immediately found themselves under attack. Thane and Asp were able to recover from the ambush and chose to engage their attackers with demands. While Boros restrained one of them, Asp demanded that the other take his friend and leave - that this was their place now. Clearly outnumbered and off-balance, the two bouncers retreated without a fight.
- The Black Foxes are growing in strength and reputation, and are close to ending this war with the Stone Club. Time is running out on some of their obligations, however, and Drave has now discovered that their hideout is currently unusably haunted by the Ghost of Lord Weirin...
- Taryn once again found himself in his recurring dream of a card game between himself, his patron Olidammara, and an entity he is sure was a representation of death. As the game progressed, Taryn began to fair better, ultimately playing cards that ended the game in flames. All that remained was a single, glowing crystal. As he tossed Taryn the crystal, Olidamarra once again told him that he had, in fact, done all he could for him - but his tone this time was more bemused than grave.
- The group met downstairs for breakfast and discussed how to proceed. They talked with a halfling called Landon a bit about some oddities of the local plant and animal life, and asked Baillin where they might be able to find the elders. The group made their way to the elders' house among the reeds on the western edge of town. As they approached, they saw a pair of figures standing just outside the building: one was a black haired elf, and the other was a young girl in a tattered dress - a girl whom Lily amazingly recognized as a cousin who only would have been 3 or 4 when their family's caravan had been attacked by slavers almost 12 years ago...
- The group headed to the Night Drive club in the Neon Green to find Victor Malstrick, trying to get more info on the corporate string-pulling that seemed to be going on and to figure out how he fit into all of it. After talking their way inside, they managed to find him through a woman called Lilith. Victor told them he would tell them where they could find Balthazar - one of the former Aethercorp execs - in exchange for doing a job for him (and in addition to the 500k payoff), and they agreed. They would need to plant an object and some data inside the HQ of a corp called Corvin-Systova.
- The next day, they met with the DCPD, who'd contacted them again via their ghost card. The man who met them told them he was there on behalf of Sgt Kyotu (whom they knew). The job he was sending them on was a bounty - they were after a man called Alexandre Makarta, a mid-level Proto-Nine executive. They were offering 200k.
- V was contacted again by Rory, who gave him a datadrive from the Proto-Nine messaging system that might contain recoverable messages between high-level P9 execs. He also told V that P9 was raided and that it's collapse was imminent. He tried to extract the deleted data, but found with the tools he had available, it was going to take a significant amount of time.
- After meeting with Victor again to pickup up the package, the group made their way toward the Corvin-Systova HQ. Just as they were putting their plan of infiltration into action, Sara received a mental contact from the girl she believed was behind the psychic shrieking she had experienced - this time, however, the contact seemed delibrate and contained some context clue as to her location...
|Thursday February 20, 2020 at 9:00pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The crew's efforts to sway Merson away from his association with their rivals continued to grow shakey as the evening continued. Having set up the groundwork as being a local doctor with connections, Thane made a desperate bid push Merson to agree to a future meeting at his office. The aggressive "invitation" fell flat, however - though it attracted some attention from the Bluecoat, Cork, who was also at the table.
- As Thane was leaving the table, the ghost of a well-dressed gentleman appeared at the table and sat down. Drave used his Attuning abilities to interact with the spectre, and learned that it wanted to join the game. Seeing an opportunity in the fact that no one else could hear anything the Ghost was actually saying, Drave leaned into Merson and suggested that the Ghost was there for them - and that he could protect them from it in exchange for some measure of Merson's loyalty. Merson agreed, but they Foxes would need to rid of the Stone Club's "bouncers" at Doan's bar first...
- Meanwhile, outside, the Stone Clubs gang had made a show of force against the Foxes by way of cornering Thane. He was able to stand his ground, however, and a nearby Bluecoat presence might have played a role in the leader's decision to simply re-state his threat instead of escalating the encounter.
- The group discussed for some time exactly what to do next, even using a Divination spell to try to determine the best way forward. They ultimately decided they would use their lyre to repair the city's fractured wall, and then head southeast to the fishing village of Tonler looking for info on the Osada Forest and the secluded elven settlement said to be there.
- Despite evidence of orc raiding on their way down, they found the village of Tonler still mostly at peace. Guards did keep watch on the palisades for orc activity, but they hadn't experienced any direct attacks - though they do suspect an overdue caravan may have fallen victim to them.
- Most of the few that they talked to in the village seemed wary of the forest to the south, and were generally less-than-eager to talk about it. The one elf they encountered told them of the locals' superstition and that he had spent some time in the forest and did find it a little..."off". While he didn't have much specific information on the elven settlement, he did mention that, despite their denials, the two elders of the town were commonly rumored to be from it.
- As the assault continued, Mjolnir destroyed the remaining turret and breached the perimeter wall in two places. The Vindicator, Clint, and light tanks on the other side managed to land some respectable hits - including a worrisome headshot on the company's Shadow Hawk - but it is becoming pretty clear that they are likely insufficient to repel the assailants. Two helicopters arrived on-scene are providing some additional threat, but the last exchange fell pretty decidedly in Mjolnir's favor.
- While V went to meet with Marion Plaskov to inquire further about the Watchful, Kendra, Mario and Sara went to meet their employer and make the delivery. This went without incident: their contact, Hwan Byeong, was impressed with their performance and the group walked away with another 80k along with the suggestion that future contracts might be considered.
- V wasn't able to get much out of Plaskov other than the fact that he'd been hired by someone to hit the armored van. He was hesistant to mention the Watchful or any of their activities. He implied that they might be able to speak more freely in a legal environment, and V gave him his contact information so that this might be arranged.
- V was contacted by his old coworker Rory who had become aware of the disarray in the Proto-Nine HQ. He wanted to know if V knew anything about it, and the two talked a little about what the group had seen when they broke into the facility. V offered Rory some pay to stay at P9, do some prying, and report on anything he might be able to find out about what had been happening.
- Delpub was airing more news on "monster" sitings as well as Corvin-Systova's rebuttal to Ullertech's assertions that they were behind the incidents.
- Sara tried again to contact whatever disturbed mind was sending out the psychic shrieking she and other members of Delphi had perceived. The target seemed to be a child, probably a girl between the ages of 9 and 13. While solid contact proved elusive, she was able to send a simple telepathic message asking "what did you lose?". She was met immediately with a mental shout showing a man and a woman, whom Sara suspects might be the girl's parents. Calling V over, she shared their images with him and asked if he could find anything about them. Initial searches, however, turned up nothing. A few days later, she was able to contact the girl again - this time while she was asleep. From the disorienting dream-mind, Sara was able to extract her name: Ryma Forsben.
- The group received another message on their ghost card for another meeting...
|Thursday February 6, 2020 at 8:30pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
Asp [Taylor] : Slide
- Drave and Thane made their way into the black fog within the tavern, searching for the gathering they'd been told about. Unfortunately, they quickly became disoriented and lost, encountering a coin-laden ghost and a spectral door in a back corner of the establishment. Drave attempted to interact with the ghost, but managed only to upset the being, which began to deform and emit a deafening howl.
- The two slipped away back into the fog and were about to give up their search when a voice greeted them - telling them it could aid their search in exchange for something. Thane found himself unable to turn and look at the speaker, but Drave managed to resist the compulsion and turned to find an enormouse spider probing its forlegs into Thane's brain. Drained of further resolve, he wasn't able to tell his companion about what was happening. Thane agreed to a trade, and the spider planted the knowledge of Merson's location in his mind before retreating into the darkness above.
- Drave and Thane found the card game where Merson was present with two men and two women - and shortly joined by a Bluecoat called Cork who told them if they wanted to talk, they had to play.
- The two were dealt in and began their talk about the Stone Club's immenent demise - speaking to no one in particular, but hoping to plant seeds of doubt in Merson's mind. One of the others at the table - a woman called Asp - seemed to be trying to aid in this effort by asking questions and verbally underlining certain details...
- Lily continued distracting/entertaining the people outside. As she moved up onto the steps of the tavern's porch, she became aware of the shouting coming from the argument inside. Giving looks to her companions, Ravina and Tyrrox made their way closer to the building.
- As their conversation with Respina concluded, Kael mentioned to her that he and his friends were needing to leave the city. She seemed surprised and a little concerned by this, but advised them that, if that was their intent, they should probably leave sooner rather than later. Taryn gestured to the unfolding altercation between the thugs and the tavern owner behind him, and told Respina that the man was part of a cult that had been causing trouble for the city - all the way back to the incident at the Festival of Thorns. She asked whether he should be taken into custody, but Kael said he would follow them to see where they went.
- When the argument in the tavern finally came to a head, the thug made some threats, flipped over some tables, and stormed out. Joining the man on the porch, the three of them headed away from the area. Kael and Tyrrox followed them to another tavern near the docks called the Siren's Cask. After a few minutes, they followed them inside, but didn't see any of them within the small establishment. They had a brief conversation with the gruff bartender before rejoining their companions to decide what to do next...
- Kendra & Mario did their best to avoid the camera and hotwired their way past the old keypad. Inside they found a debris-filled hallway that appeared to be under construction. There were no stairs to grant access to upper levels, and the only door was on the back side. Finding no obvious way to open the door, the two had V (who was still hacked into the system from the sewers outside) open it for them.
- Inside, they found a much different environment: a clean and brightly-lit corporate research facility. They made their way to the elevators only to be confronted with a heavily armed and armored security guard. Fortunately for them, they got the jump on him and were able to take him out before he could even respond.
- On V's direction, K&M headed up to the 5th floor where the vaults that supposedly contained their target were. Using a backdoor in the security system, V was able to bypass the compex computerized lock on the vault they wanted and opened it. Unfortunately, it was about that time that the corp became aware of his presence in the system and, not too long after that, the fact that there were intruders in the facility. V locked all of the doors, but not before the other security guard made it to their level. She sent out a request for backup, but V had already hijacked their outgoing data connections and her alert was funneled into a black hole. She fired a few bursts of automatic gunfire at K&M, who were saved by their bulletproof vests, and Mario was eventually able to knock her out with his robotic arm.
- Meanwhile, Sara was outside keeping an eye out trouble approaching on the street and also probing for whatever was generating the psychic noise she'd been experiencing. While she wasn't able to make contact with it, she was able to feel its presence just past the edge of her perception. It seemed to be a young mind, a powerful psion, and one not completely in control of its powers.
- K&M grabbed the device they'd come to recover and made their way neatly out of the building. Thanks largely to V's efforts, there was no cavalry coming to make things more difficult for them. The group returned to Kendra's Klunkers to talk about their next move.
- Sara returned to Delphi's offices to speak with Deidre Telns about what she'd learned, and V made his way to the antique shop "Passed Gems" to speak with the Watchful. He gave them the other case they'd swiped from the Proto-Nine HQ and told them he and his friends were interested in bringing down the corrupt corporations...