- Tyrrox brought the nearly-unconscious Eliot Jaand to the watch-captain Wencia, who was sure that he'd been drugged. She asked Tyrrox some questions about the situation and was alarmed at the mention of demons.
- Taryn caught up with the woman in the purple dress talking in an alcove with a dwarf. He heard parts of their conversation, including mention of Malefes, some sort of deal, and an elven keep in the eastern mountains called Ver'Sheole. Tyless Vallane later brought up this name again, and wondered if it was another designation for the same keep Taryn had been researching.
- Lilly spoke to Lord Magnar about the magical mark on the floor of the hall, which turned out to be the symbol of Many Eyes, Many Teeth. She suspected a woman in a yellow dress as the source of the mark, and was able to learn that she seemed to be connected to lesser-noble house of Nevarg.
- Fredrick Thullus of the Reaches Arms approached Taryn, Tyrrox, and Kebrand Brightwinter about some help the House Vallane Adventurers' Guild could be to him. Apparently a contact of his at House Briglau in Igveston had news of increased orc activity and an intentional rock-slide bearing the eye-tooth mark.
|Thursday November 15, 2018 at 8:30pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The Foxes regrouped after their last score, but they know clocks are ticking on some outstanding "problems".
- Borrick - the leader of the local Bluecoat patrol - cornered Erik in the Three Pennies, threatening to run him in. The scoundrels managed to dodge Ironhook for the time being by promising a future favor.
- The Foxes' gang returned with news about a ditched smugglers' shipment in one of the Coalridge canals. Needing coin for their plans and figuring the shipment must be worth something, they decided to jump on the opportunity.
- They "acquired" a boat from a local fisherman and went to the place the gang had described. Due to some good fortune they managed to locate and recover both small metal crates with relatively little consquence, but before they could vacate the area, another boat came up the canal. They made like they were simple fishermen, but the inquiry "So how's the fishing tonight?" called from the other watercraft didn't sound completely sincere...
- As Lily was beginning her performance, Taryn found his way into the library where he spotted a woman in a dark purple dress apparently stealing a book from the library. He did his best to apprehend her, but some confusion with the guards and some subtle magic allowed her to slip away and he lost her in the crowds outside.
- Lily noticed some unusual activity from the stage involving a woman in a bright yellow dress, who was apparently leaving the party as she was finishing her set with Julius Nevarg. As they neared the exist, she saw a young woman in a dark purple dress approach and hand her something. She also saw Taryn apparently searching urgently for someone or something - and he was a cloaked in shadow, meaning he had activated one of his more potent magic items.
- Meanwhile, a fight broke out near Tyrrox between a dwarf and a drunk, and he spotted two men escorting an apparently-drunk guardsman out of the hall. When he approached he was able to see the that guard was more dazed than drunk and so intervened. The two men made it into the hall outside before Tyrrox caught up with them and, when pressed, revealed themselves to be quasits and flew away - causing a small amount of commotion with the nearby guards.
- After spotting some strange marks appearing on the floor, Kael - who'd previously been enjoying the evening with Gella Barens (a young noblewoman he'd met in Igveston) - began to get a hunch that something was wrong. He met up with Lily as they approached the Balcony where Taryn was scanning the room for his quarry...
- Aralakh's good fortune couldn't last, perhaps because it was too good. Now realizing his opponents were a significant threat, the Marauder began to check his overconfidence and think more tactically. Though he'd been hunting the Phoenix Hawk, its defensive maneuvering began presenting him with more ideal shots against the Crusader and the Warhammer which he no longer blindly ignored. This change in tactics from their most dangerous opponent - combined with gravity and some bad fortune - resulted in the loss of both units over the subsequent exchanges.
- Their primary heavy units now disabled and the Phoenix Hawk starting to show some wear, Aralakh's position is beginning to look more desperate. Hopefully reinforcements will arrive soon...
- After a rough initial contact, Aralakh's forces began to rally. A few decisive rounds exploited their dangerous enemies' poor fortune and lack of effective coordination. As the result of concentrated fire, the Banshee has lost its AC/5 and a signficant quantity of armor while the Marauder's left arm PPC has been destroyed.
- These scores didn't come freely, however, as the Banshee repeatedly pummeled the Crusader with its powerful fists, and the Phoenix Hawk is starting to show some wear as well. Still, the tables have drastically turned in Aralakh's favor and an engagement that was starting to look desperate looks much more promising.
[Keara] Ravina - Dwarven cleric of Moradin
- Six months after the attack at the Festival of Thorns, the PCs find themselves invited to the Magnar City Social - a yearly gathering of the nobility and honored guests - for their efforts in stopping the rampaging beast and the subsequent investigations into the activity of the cult known as Many Eyes, Many Teeth.
- Lily and Tyrrox were greeted as local celebrities, Ravina chatted about her home city with a dwarven jeweler called Pierless Gray, Kael ran into an old friend, and Taryn spoke with some of Dyn'Talor's court, a man concerned with Magnar's defense of the city, and Tyless Vallane, who told him a particular book Taryn was looking for might be found in the Magnars' library.
|Thursday September 27, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group was able to ward off the attacking predators with Naran's daylight abilities, directed by Piper's artifact which had tuned in to their dimensional energy signature.
- Continuing on, they eventually left the fern-encrusted tunnel, finding their way along catwalks suspended in nothingness to a vault that had been torn open from the inside. 6 massive tentacles protruted from it in different directions, and within it was a swirling vortex of black smoke.
- Once they moved into position, Naran used the artifact Piper had made to amplify her cutting light abilities to sear away the darkness - but each time she did so, she became weaker. The others fought off the flock of bat-like shadows that began streaming from it, and they all did their best to dodge the great tentacles which reeled themselves in and began grasping at the intruders.
- As the blackness was cleared, they were able to catch a glimpse of the interior of the vault - where they saw the source of the living void: an open book. When the last of the blackness was burned away, the book lay inert on the vault floor - the faintest wisp of black smoke issuing from its pages.
- The void intrusion now disrupted, the group suddenly found themselves in some sort of control room amdist blaring alarms, frantic error displays, and components and terminals which were burning out and arcing eletricity - the system was overloading. Against all odds, Piper, Naran, and Ronin managed to manipulate the system to bleed off the excess power and return it to a relatively stable condition.
- The group made their way back to the surface, where they found Polious looking somewhat relieved. The Weathervane had stabilized - and, even better, was now operating at about 85% of ideal output - a marked improvement from the unstable 30-50% they'd been getting previously. While its days were still numbered, he was optimistic that they would have at least another 5 years to prepare for its ultimate failure.
END OF CHAPTER 1
GM's Note: Chapter 1. This is chapter 1. And it took us two years and 62 sessions to get through. I think the reasons for the long timeline were a combination of having the party split for so long, having short 1.5 - 2.5 hr game sessions, and that there is just SO MUCH to explore in the Ninth World and beyond. Also, our group tends to "take the long way". Don't get me wrong, the campaign has been a blast, but they have only scratched the surface. For now, however, we're going to set this one aside and play some other things. On our return, my plan for Chapter 2 is to advance the timeline a significant distance into the future: the players will construct a new generation of explorers set to build on the discoveries this group has made.
|Tuesday September 25, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Piper headed back to town, where they found that the ruin surrounding their settlement seemed to have "energized" in some way. Polious was reporting that output levels for the Weathervane were averaging around 120% - up from about the 30-40% of the preceding weeks - but that the system was increasingly unstable.
- Piper resumed work on the devices the group needed to address the problem and was able to finish them over the next several hours.
- Ronin, Ganthet, and Helios made their way through the night back to Arable, having a brief encounter with a strange, hovering eye covered in voluminous robes. It seemed to have "left" something for them - a component that turned out to be *exactly* what Piper needed to finish the devices she was working on.
- After resting up, the group headed once more into the corridors below the Weathervane - searching for the epicenter of the dimensional-void they had been encountering. Using the 'detector' Piper had made, they found their way deep into the ruin, through large sections that seemed to be "missing", and ultimately onto a long, twisting set of catwalks extending out into seeming nothingness.
- Eventually, the pathway led them to a large spherical chamber - from the outside closely resembling the control room they had just scavenged in the B Dome - but the inside was covered in luminous purple ferns. As they made their way through it, Ronin began to suspect that they were being watched - just before they found themselves under attack by shadowy beast that seemed to materialize from a cloud of black smoke...
|Thursday September 20, 2018 at 8:30pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (2) »|
- The Foxes were given a job offer to steal a set of paints from an artist in Charterhall that had been illegally infused with spirit essences. It promised to be an easy score with a decent payout and since they were needing some cash quickly to get what they needed to stay ahead of the Stone Club, they took it.
- The target was located in the old Charter Wall community, and Erik and Boros quickly encountered a Bluecoat presence, intoxicated citizens, and a level of midnight activity they weren't used to in Six Towers.
- They broke into the artist's studio and were rummaging around when they began to encounter spiritual activity. As one of the paintings began to wail and distraught ghosts began manifesting, Erik grabbed a couple of the paints and took off in a near-panic. Boros steeled himself enough to grab a couple others as well as the howling artwork before making his getaway.
- The two were successful in their mission, but they were seen clearly by one of the local Bluecoats, a drunk, and Crenoll - the artist they robbed.
|Tuesday September 18, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- As Piper pried the last of the needed components from the machinery, the system's stability reached a tipping point. The pulsing blue lights in the sphere above them turned a dark red and alarms began to sound. As they made their way back to the hatchway, several spherical maintenance automatons activated, though only one seemed to be functioning correctly.
- Outside, Ganthet and Helios confronted the many-mouthed being. Before any real fighting began, however, it was distracted by another of its kind that had targeted Ronin. As the two creatures argued and fought, the three of them withdrew, rejoining their friends, and all of them hurried toward the exit to the sphere - which was now full of flashing red lights and vibrating intensely.
- Once back at the entrance, Ronin, Ganthet, and Helios used their own abilities to descend from the sphere while Naran teleported herself and Piper directly back to Arable - or, close to it. They arrived a few miles south of town at Aglarion's watchtower. They were close enough, however, to see the stormclouds gathering to the south, the tribe of brutish abhumans approaching from that direction, and the billowing plume of smoke rising from beneath the southeast side of Arable - which had now pulled itself about 50 feet up and out of the ground...