|Monday March 19, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet return to the illusory forest they'd encountered when they'd started their quest - though it had definitely moved further north from its previous position. They made their way through the hologrammatic trees as quickly as possible, though it took several hours. Somewhere near the center of the wood, they found a giant, tangible tree surrounded by large, translucent pods. A nearby pool of water allowed them to refill their canteens for the remainder of their journey, though something about the place felt 'off'. When they finally reached Arable, they were greeted with desparate pleading and endless questions - particularly about their missing companions and the success of their mission. They learned that the Weathervane's function had been steadily deteriorating since they left and would need attention soon if the settlement is to survive.
- Naran and Helios continued exploring the wrecked whale-city with Drokkan. Naran found a sort of command or navigation room while Helios phased through a pressure-sealed bulkhead to enter the captain's quarters, which were still dry. Inside he found numenera devices and a chest of shins amid the mess of papers and objects thrown from shelves and tables. Naran found some interesting maps for which she went to some lengths to salvage and preserve, as well as a metal safe which she cut from the surrounding equipment. After giving the remainder of the bow a once-over, the three proceeded into the cargo holds where they found some metal plates that superheated when they came in contact with one another, a crate of pearls that seemed to repel water, and a large metal vault which promised their real payday...
- The Thunderbolt survived long enough for the pilot to regain consciousness and become a threat, but a lucky shot to the machinegun ammo cache caused a massive explosion which ripped the unit apart. The Hermes II, meanwhile, had managed to take out one of the Assassin's legs before changing its tactics. Its heavier support gone, the Hermes began destroying the repair trucks still working on the damaged facility. Using the terrain and speed to its advantage over Aralakh's remaining heavier units, it was able to destroy all three trucks and escape the engagement area - securing a technical victory.
- Aralakh's objective to protect the crews repairing the power station was a failure overall, but they did manage to salvage the remains of a Thunderbolt chassis.
|Tuesday March 6, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet fought off the trio of margr, who turned out to be sentries for a massive encampment further into the northern badlands. They were able to outrun the pursuing band, eventually arriving at the oasis they had visited some weeks before. Once more, the glowing purple diamond appeared above the well at the site, and individuals seemingly from different worlds or realities wandered in.
- Piper and Olim cleaned up the tower and made some plans to carefully limit what they divulged about their project. When the inspection came, however, the Queen herself was leading the examination. Unfortunately, she was able to determine the nature of the craft they were restoring and, as Olim feared, had in mind several uses for it. To prevent the commandeering of his new vessel, Piper suggested they finish repairs on the ship and then use it to leave for her home of Arable - if they could determine the precise direction.
- Naran, Helios, and Drokkan split up and began exploring the whale/ship/city. Naran located a large numenera device at the aft surrounded by glowing fish and Drokkan found what he believed to be the "captain's quarters" but was unable to get inside. Helios, however, ran afoul of a giant black eel-like creature and some dangerous plants. The group managed to fight it off and resumed their exploration of the strange place.
Starting a small, experimental Blades in the Dark campaign.
Tonight, we made the crew: the Black Foxes. A pair of disgruntled ex-miners from the district of Coalridge got together and decided to start a more lucrative, less legal enterprise. With the help of some chance relationships they've set up a hideout in a disused corner of the coal mine and have their sights on an area of the declining Six Towers district still possessed of some unjustified wealth.
Crew Type: Shadows (theives/spies)
Contacts: Adelaide Phraoig (noble), Lerrin (toolmaker), Mirage (Circle of Flame contact), Ulf Ironborn (gang leader)
Allies: The Circle of Flame (Occultists), Ulf Ironborn's gang (Bravos)
Enemies: The Stone Club (Bravos), The Dimmer Sisters (Occultists)
|Friday March 2, 2018 at 9:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet headed east across the desert plains, but their not-quite-domesticated aneen kept driving them north. Ronin noticed the brilliant-purple object above the oasis they'd seen on their original journey west and reoriented their course but from their northward position, this took them through a badlands region. They found themselves under attack by margr and are now attempting to fight off the abhumans while keeping their wild pack animal from running off.
- Piper and Olim's meeting with magistrate Quince was interrupted by the Angulan Knight Yal-Sara as she "delivered" the body of a man she'd been sent after. Once the magistrate regained his composure, he decreed that Olim must provide documentation on his efforts and agree to an imspection. On their way back to the tower, he voiced to Piper his concern that the queen was angling to seize control of his services and the airship he was restoring.
- Naran and Helios followed Drokkan through the crowds gathering around the return of Vareallius' ship to talk with a skeane friend of his about some deep water equipment for his new companions. Once this was acquired, the three headed up through the membrane gates and into the cold, dark waters. They jetted along the sea floor to the place where the deeping martelling was sleeping and then up into the city on its back and made plans to split up and see what they could find in the time.
- As the battle continued, the Assassin chased after the HermesII which had maneuvered behind the facility and was preparing to attack the repair crews. This left the Centurion and Crusader to engage the Thunderbolt. After a few rounds of concentrated fire, the Thunderbolt made a dramatic charge at the Crusader, inflicting brutal damage to its center torso and damaging its engine shielding. In so doing, however, the T-bolt took some unexpected damage to the head which KO'd the pilot!
- After pulling out of Holt, Aralakh continued on to their original destination in Lyran space: the Lysidas Barony in the Fianna system. They met briefly with Baron Hepstein who informed them on the particulars of their issue with a local terrorist cell. He'd already hired another small merc company which was currently engaged in the north - the first company to eliminate the threat would get a significant bonus. The most pressing outstanding objectives were to establish a visible presence within the city, to escort a shipping convoy to a neighboring city, and to defend repairs to a final power station outside the city - so Aralakh distributed their forces across these areas as they saw fit.
- The company's Crusader, Assassin, and Centurion had been dispatched to protect repair trucks at a previously-attacked and severely-damaged power station about 10 miles northeast of the city, where they engaged a Hermes II and a Thunderbolt who'd come to disrupt the operation.
|Friday February 16, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios continued into the darkness of the South Loop. After getting pulled deeper in to the Rustways by a strange current and encountering some massive monsters that seemed to repeatedly appear and disappear, they found their way back to the corridor and on to the Scavengers' Wreck, the more inhabited portion of this dark ruin. There, they eventually found Drokkan, the many they were looking for who they were told found something in the ruins that might be able to transport them elsewhere. Unfortunately, he insisted he was pressed for time at the moment - so the two agreed to go with him to help with whatever he was doing: which turned out to be exploring the remains of a deeping martelling whale settlement...
- Ganthet and Ronin evaded the monstrous metal automaton that emerged from a doorway on the far side of the large chamber they'd decended into when it unexpectedly powered-down. In fact, the entire complex seemed to be powering up and then losing power at regular intervals. Ronin led them further into the ruin where they found various control rooms and eventually a vertical shaft lined with glass pods, some of which contained creatures that had seemingly been grafted with plants. - one of which, a margr, was still alive. The ladder in the shaft gave them access to the hatch at the top, and they emerged back onto the plain above. The aneen Ganthet had left tied up had eventually worn itself out trying to escape, and was now calmly resting.
- An explosion blew out a wall at the top of the tower and sent Piper falling down the stairway into the room below, where Olim was still trying to catch the escaped threviars. The two pursued the darting creatures downstairs, where they apparently repowered an automaton friend of Olim's and then animated a giant pile of junk which began harrying Piper as she continued her search for some sort of containment device. It was about this time that there was a pounding on the front door and a voice demanding that Olim come out. Piper and Olim managed to break apart the junk pile and collect the remaining threviars about the time the door burst open amd one of the Rarmon guards came in and insisted they come with him to speak with the magistrate...
- The company engaged the bandit forces, but it quickly became apparent that fortune wasn't on their side. They established a new set of LZ coordinates with the contingent returning to the site, and made to lift off. The ship's aft suffered structural damage when the bandits detonated the mines that laced the area, but critical systems remained intact and they were able to pull away.
- Aralakh finished their resupply and left Hassad for the Fianna system in Lyran space. On the way, however, they decided to stop at Holt to meet with a potential buyer for their stolen experimental weapons. They realized a little too late they'd been set up, however, and now their forces are split and their dropship is under attack.