Redwood: Blood, Fire, and Shadow
|Saturday November 23, 2019 at 8:30pm||in the cards, redwood, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The silence was broken by the sound of a whiskey bottle shattering on the saloon floor. The man cleaning the tables turned away from the stranger in the doorway and stormed out of the room. The bartenter seemed just as confused as to what was going on. He told them that the man in the gray suit was called Malone and that he was fond of hanging around the abandoned train station.
- After finishing their breakfast, Victor decided to get some sleep at the Last Lights hotel while the others went to find Mr. Malone. The conversation with Malone at the train station was somewhat unnerving and confusing. The man seemed to display a very calm and curious insanity - and was very interested in them. After they concluded their discussion, Leah went to see about getting into the post office where she'd be working while the others took a cue from Victor and decided to get some rest.
- After a short rest, James went with Victor out to check up on his sister Sara. She was very happy to see them, and obviously distressed at her husband Edward's behavior. She told them that he'd disappeared for a few weeks, and since he'd returned he'd been out digging in the pasture. She was concerned about his sanity, and also that his partners - other former coal miners with whom he'd started the ranch - were going to kick him out. The two went out to the pasture where he had dug 9 holes about the same size and shape as graves, and was just staring at them. As Victor expressed his sister's concerns, Edward became confrontational. He rambled about the heat, about not believing it, and about having to go back before collapsing into near-unconsciousness. Victor and James got him back to the house, and Sara called for Father Clarence and a nurse called Jessica Farns.
- That night at the saloon, James and Victor got into a brief scrape with a man called Jack Santos they'd seen earlier that day at the Ranch. Some time later Mr Malone appeared again near Jack and a few others - they seemed very agitated by his presense. As he walked back to the door of the saloon, he asked them "who it was going to be". Jack pointed angrily at James, but Mr Malone told him "No, not that one - he's not one of us." The marshall then got up and said they could take this disagreement outside, but Mr Malone told him it was too late for that. It was then that Jack pulled out his gun and shot another man. Both he and Jack seemed utterly shocked by this. Mr Malone walked outside, muttering something to himself.
- Chaos ensued, during which a candle was tipped into a puddle of spilled liquor and ignited a fire. One of the other men took off after Mr Malone. James was the first outside, where he saw a large splatter of blood in the street leading toward a darkened alley. Down the alleyway he found more blood, entrails, and body parts. As he examined them, he caught a brief glimpse of a spindly shadow moving further into the darkness. The others joined him in searching, but they found no more evidence beyond some strange scorch marks on a few nearby buildings...