Cyrran Reaches: Finding the Way
|Saturday November 6, 2021 at 2:30pm||d&d, cyrran reaches, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Lily engaged her cousin Ansley in conversation, but the girl quickly became distraught, screaming or mumbling nonsense, and eventually collapsing.
- After helping Ansley back into the house, the group spoke with Elder Dynn for some time. She seemed friendly enough, but insisted she really couldn't help them in their quest to find and reach the elven settlement of Osada Reil. Sensing she was keeping something relevant from them, they eventually badgered her into agreeing to speaking with "someone else" who might be able to help them.
- Later, Kael sought out Elder Selka, whom he found to be quite different form her sister. Like her sister, however, she insisted she didn't know anything about the elven settlement and couldn't help them reach it. She also insisted there was nothing weird about the lake and certainly nothing dangerous at the bottom of it.
- Ravina decided to user her Find the Path spell to determine the location of Osada Reil, and then use Wind Walk to fly out that way for a while to see what she could find. What she found was that Find the Path led her out over the massive lake, and then pointed straight down toward the bottom - toward a point that must be thousands of feet submerged. The sun was setting as she was starting to turn back to return to Tonler and she suddenly noticed Find the Path change its indication - this time, to a point between two large, rough-hewn stone obelisks on the far shore of the lake.
- The next day, the group decided they would fly across the lake an examine the forest a bit more thoroughly. The elven woodsman Lertas had warned them that, if they entered the wood, they would become lost almost immediately. It took them some time to find the obelisks, but eventually they did. They didn't find any magic on the obelisks themselves, but there was a pervasive background illusion aura seemingly on the entire forest.
- Believing the obelisks might be some sort of portal to Osada Reil, Kael, Tyrrox, and Taryn decided to walk through them into the woods, and despite an initial "good feeling" about the direction, they quickly became disoriented and lost, just as Lertas had told them they would.
- The three wandered the woods for some time, seeking to find their way back to shore - a location they believed couldn't possibly be more than a hundred or so yards away. They eventually found themselves in an overgrown ruin of strange white towers that had long-since collapsed. Among the remains, they ran afoul of a spirit naga intent on devouring them. After fighting off the creature, they made their way back into the woods, still seeking the lake shore, which they eventually found.
- Meanwhile, Ravina and Lily decided that they shouldn't venture into the forest and get lost also. Tired of waiting for the others to find their way back, Ravina suggested they investigate the lake bottom using her Water Breathing spell. The two left a note for the others, along with the packs, and ventured out into the lake. After hours of descending into the blackness, they noticed a pale blue glow coming from far to the northeast - and a significant distance below them. Following the lake bed as best they could, they slowly approached it - eventually catching a distant site of a spire-filled chasm in a glowing bubble, populated by a large number of merfolk.
- When Kael, Taryn, and Tyrrox eventually found their way back later that night, they found Lily's note and Kael found that he could see faintly glowing lights between the obelisks, leading deeper into the forest...
GM's Note: It has been nearly 20 months since we've played this game. This game started back in 2013 and we've put it on haitus before, but always intentionally - always to play other games. This time, it was out of caution regarding the pandemic we've been dealing with. Having finally decided it would be ok to get together occassionally, we decided to start it up again. We led off with an hour or so of discussion about what had been going on when we left off, but that was fun and necessary. After that, they actually did quite a bit. It was a great session.
Looking at the header for the *previous* session, I really feel like that was either prophetic of premature - THIS session really should be called "It's Different Now". Other things have changed since we put the campaign on pause, and our current "plan" now is to play once a month on a saturday instead of every week on a weeknight. Honestly though, we might get to play for the almost same length of time, since this game got a solid 4+ hours, and we'd previously been doing 1.5-2 hour games 3 times a month or so. And I actually prefer the saturday schedule.
Anyway, here's hoping this works well. Next game is slated for early december. It's great to be back.