I've been wanting to run Deadlands for a long time, so when Tim made an offhand comment about wanting play, we decided to put a game together.
- Percy [Tim] :: huckster
- Kevin [Patrick] :: priest
- Montana [Stephen] :: gunslinger
- We started the campaign with a flashback to the events of 3 years ago - before Percy made his "deal" and Kevin's "conversion". It was one particular night in the tiny town of Grayfalls in Arizona Territory they were awakened in the night by the town burning down.
- Each of them attempted to help however they could. Stephen ran into a burning building to rescue a distraught woman's husband, Patrick ran to the small catholic church to rescue Sister Blowers (the nun who'd recently saved his life), and Percy escaped his burning hotel room, stopped a fight between folks arguing over which building the water pump should be used on and pulled a clerk away from some outlaws taking the opporunity to rob the assay office.
- As events unfolded, a number of the townsfolk began displaying signs of insanity and/or fanaticism - they began interfering with efforts to fight or contain the fires, shouting proclamations of divine fury being levied against the town - and that to prevent the burning would be going against "the almighty". Back at the church, Kevin could hear the bellowing voice of Father Mandrake above the howling wind and roaring fire - claiming gods judgement had justly come upon the town.
- Percy was making his way back up the street when he was suddenly ambushed by a group of men. As they all fired their guns at him. time seemed to slow to a stop and he was confronted by a dark man in a suit, standing next to a card table and offering a "deal"...