Salthon Plain: Local Culture
|Friday September 23, 2022 at 8:00pm||d&d, salthon plain, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group headed toward the river village of Onara along the road now muddy with water from melted snow. As they made their way into a flooded lowland marsh, they could hear some commotion some distance ahead. As they approached, they found themselves attacked by a swarm of stirges.
- The group fought off the flying pests as best they could, becoming aware of a small group of kenku fighting them as well. When the last of the stirges were killed, they spoke with the kenku, who invited them back to their camp.
- The group spent the rest of the evening with at the camp, talking to some of the kenku about their nomadic tribe and the party's plans to go to Onara and then north to Erelan. The kenku cautioned them on some dangers of travelling through the Nembrill wood.
- The next day, the group finished their journey into Onara. The small village sat on the edge of a bay-like protrusion of the Dobec river along a slow-moving section. They made arrangements for accomodation at the simply-named Riverrest Inn, and proceeded to the one tavern in the tiny village for an afternoon meal - which they found to be so crowded as to be overflowing with locals.
- The group caught word of a "log roll" contest of sorts to be held that night at the docks and went to inquire further. Speaking to the dockmaster, they learned that this was a something of a local ritual that would determine the captain of "The Jovossa" - a large fishing boat owned by the town and that most regarded as something special. Noting the comment that it was the only vessel in town capable of making reasonable headway up-river to Erelan, the group asked if they might participate in the contest - and if they won, could they use it for a trip up-river. The dockmaster, who seemed to regard the whole thing as tiresome, was amused by this plan and told them that that seemed reasonable - but cautioned them that a losing challenger had to buy a round at the pub for every fisherman in town...