|Friday November 10, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios fought off some sort of discorporating, glass-breathing lizard creature and search the ruined study - finding several more of the books presumably capable of transporting them to other locations, in addition to a note referencing a crumbling civilization and a man they once met in some sort of time-distortion field.
- Piper followed Olim to the Embassy of Truth. After some explanation, the priests were able to restore her material state - at least temporarily. The priests seemed interested in Piper and her experiences, and suggested there was something she could do for them. Olim, however, pointed out that she'd already "promised" to assist him with the restoration of his "airship".
- Ronin and Ganthet made their way through the wreck back to the pod bay where they had Vlorrex begin work on the device they needed. Before he could finish, however, something in the pod ship they'd taken refuge within activated and automatons became active outside in the bay. They decided they should run for it, narrowly escaping the pod bay before the bay doors above opened and the pod ship lifted off. They made their way out of the larger wreck - only to find themselves under attack...
- Aralakh took out the damaged Jenner and continued to inflict significant damage to the Hatchetman, which is now barely operable. The Grasshopper and Dervish still remain significant threats, but they, too, are wearing down and nearby friendlies are keeping additional units from venturing into the sector. The FWLM trucks continue to load supplies from the located munitions depot, apparently safe from major threats.
- While they remain largely in control of the battlefield, Aralakh is anything but unscathed. Their next challenge will be in securing the area and completing their objective before one or more of their own units is crippled by enemy fire.
- The encounter with on-world Capellan forces continued as Aralakh engaged the newly-arrived Grasshopper & Dervish more directly, while the damaged Jenner circled back around and began harassing the trucks that had arrived to clear out the munitions depot. Several exchanges resulted in critical damage to both sides, and it became apparent that clearing the sector wasn't going to be as easy as they'd hoped.
|Tuesday October 31, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios spoke with the old woman for some time, learning a bit about the ancestors who created the portal books - which she seemed to regard as foolish and overly ambitious. As they were intent on finding their way home, she told them of the ruin of a library far to the south which may still contain some of these books preserved in unusual blocks of glass. After some discussion, they decided traveling there would be their next move. Upon arriving they quickly found the glass structures and their preserved objects - as well as a large and apparently-agitated lizard-like creature...
- Ronin and Ganthet made their way back through the ruin toward the pod where they'd left the nejavin. As they hurried through the ship, they were accosted by some form of mechanical humanoid which attempted to steal some of their gathered components, until Ganthet's electrified fist finally connected, damaging it enough that it withdrew.
- Intent on getting the inventor's attention, Piper began throwing his equipment around the work room - causing him much confusion as to what was happening. She was finally able to get his attention and explain her situation by writing on some nearby schematics. The inventor - whose name was Olim - told her that their best bet for reversing her condition would be to speak with the priests at the Embassy of Truth...
- Aralakh continued their push into the city, destroying a weapons factory, locating a power station, and pushing back the mounting resistance. They destroyed one tank and crippled the harassing Jenner, which fled the field. A Dervish and Grasshopper arrived in the sector causing them to regroup, but a lucky shot blew off the advancing Hatchetman's leg, further securing their advantage.
|Monday October 23, 2017 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet continued their exploration of the crashed vessel, eventually finding a shaft-like structure they believed to be part of the craft's power generator. They were beginning to harvest some components from the structure when it suddenly activated, sending a blue energy pulse down the tube, accompanied by some form of energy being that complicated their escape.
- Naran and Nimerun, having climbed back out of the hole where they'd activated the device, watched the bright blue beam firing up into the sky. As they were about to return to the old woman's cave, they heard a distant sound and noted another beam firing up into the sky a great distance away. Then a third. More sounds followed. When they returned to the old woman, she seemed to have all but forgotten the errand on which she'd sent them, though she was glad to hear they were successful. Their conversation was interrupted by a great roar, and Naran decided to go check on Helios...
- Helios and the girl made their way to the dormant "leviathan" with instructions on how to put it back to "sleep" or possibly keep it from waking. As Helios climbed up onto the creature toward its head, the girl began singing a strange, unnatural "song" and aggressive plants immediately began erupting from the cracks in the creature's hide. Helios arrived at a massive, opening eye and jammed the injector device into it. The girl began shrieking as the enormous creature stirred to life, partially lifting itself from the swamp. The dazed creature flailed after them for a few moments before the old woman's concoction did its work and the beast collapsed back into the water, once more unconscious. By this time, Naran had arrived and was already pulling the incoherent girl to saftey. The three of them returned to the village.
- Piper was still with the Angulan Knight and the priest when a man called Quince arrived. The Knight's patience barely tolerated the man, but ultimately they came to an agreement: she would be permitted entrance to the city in exchange for pursuing a man wanted for the murder of a local noble. Piper, still seemingly invisible and intangible, followed them into the crowded city, but decided to go her own way once inside. While heading further in, she happened by a tall, misshapen tower when some sort of "incident" happened inside causing thick, blue smoke to issue from all visible windows. A man appeared at the door, coughing, and was quickly accosted by two guardsmen who seemed to chastise of threaten him. The guards left, but before the man withdrew, he made brief eye contact with her. Piper decided to follow him inside - moving through the door in her immaterial state. Finding him working on some device at the top of the building, she attempted to get his attention. He seemed to be able to see (if not hear) her - that is, until he removed his goggles...
We spent most of the day at the First Annual Appalachian Renaissance Festival in Piney Flats. It was fairly small, but a great start - and the Lords of Chivalry put on an enjoyable show, as always. We met some friends there, looked at the booths, watched a couple of shows, saw the joust, and Hannah got to shoot a bow. She and Micah had a good time as well. We'll probably be back next year.
Edit: Posted a bunch of photos from our time at the event here. Lords of Chivalry actually asked if they could share some on their page, which was cool.
- As they made planetfall, Aralakh was briefed on their objective: they would be entering a sector of an urban industrial area looking for targets. Any supply depots were to be held until they could be cleaned out. Production, research, and repair facilities were to be destroyed to cripple the Capellan war effort in this region. Resistance was expected to be light to moderate; mech forces were known to be on-planet, but probably not in large numbers. As they approached the edge of the city, engagements had already begun elsewhere. Thus far, resistance was a bit more than anticipated, but not problematically so. They were also warned of incoming contacts to their position, and that guerrilla forces had been observed.
- In their initial advance, Aralakh located a factory and a munitions depot, destroyed a 20-ton Stinger and a building concealing a laser weapon, and maimed a retreating tank.
|Monday October 2, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet continued deeper into the wreck they were exploring, coming upon a processing bank of some kind. While scavenging for parts, the scattered debris began assembling itself into towering construct which assualted them. A purplish, tentacled creature then approached them, finally convincing Ronin to take a bite from its bread-like outer flesh. Consuming this part of the creature seemed to sate it in some way, but Ronin the last hour or so of his memory replaced by a scene of burning wreckage.
- As the caravan awaited inspection outside the city, Piper witnessed an heated exchange between the town guard and a well-armored woman who'd flown up to the city on a large, reptilian creature. The Xi-drake seemed able to see Piper, and made some movement toward her as if to investigate until the disagreement at the gate became physical. An Aeon Priest arrived on the scene and had some success diffusing the situation. The caravan was permitted entry, but Piper decided to stay and listen to the conversation between the priest and the Angulan knight. Apparently, she had come from Dynafel in search of a varjellan fugitive.
- Naran proceeded through the village after the spick whom she'd been sent to assist by the old woman. The two of them dove into a large circular pool and made for a metal artifact protruding from its center - apparently the source of the painful pulses that were emanating through the settlement. After some doing, the two were able to stop the pulses by more fully activating the device, which was now firing a bright blue beam up into the sky.
- Helios, meanwhile, took a small boat out of the village to the south and was gathering red flowers for the old woman when he noted some bubbles in the water moving in his direction. As he was rowing himself back to the village, a massive, plant-like creature erupted from the water and began flailing about. The creature made his escape difficult, but he ultimately returned with the needed blooms. The woman mixed into the concoction she was making, loaded it into a strange, gun-like device, which she handed to Helios - sending him and a strange girl into the swamp to the south, telling him they must put the "Leviathan" back to sleep...
- Aralakh met up with the so-called "Capellan Insurgency" holding their crew members hostage. The situation clearly being under their foes control, the company decided to go through with paying the ransom after ensuring their crew would be returned and they could all walk away.
- After resolving that situation, the various merc companies being employed by the FWLM forces were briefed on their mission: they would be lifted to the Yunnah system where they would be looking to destroy newly-developed research and repair facilities on a backwater world 2 jumps into Capellan space.