- Though slowed and badly damaged, the trucks made it back to the road. Both Aralakh and the attackers have sustained significant damage from the continuing firefight, but both sides seem determined not to back down...
- As the room continued to warm unnaturally and the ghost began its operatic song, Drave decided it was time to go - prying open the window and jumping out back into the courtyard.
- Meanwhile upstairs, Erik bolted after Lady Molfon, grabbing her arm in order to keep her from escaping with her armfuls of surely-illgotten jewelry. The ghost's song rattled something loose in his mind - visions of an icy gem that wouldn't go away - but he retained his hold and ordered her to give in. When she surrendered, he gathered up the jewels and bolted for an exit. Two of the guards caught sight of him as he made his escape, but he and Drave were over the wall and out of sight before they could engage in any sort of pursuit.
- Over the next few days, the crew got their payoff from Adelaide and made some efforts to reduce the amount of heat they were taking from this last operation. After taking some personal time as well, they met and decided that if they were going to be doing this sort of thing a lot, they'd need someone to help them move their goods.
- Drave's friend Flint could only give them the barest lead, and the two made their way to Doan's, a tiny backstreet bar and gambling den, to ask around -only to find themselves confronted by local rivals, the Stone Club...
|Friday April 27, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper spent some additional time in the Atlas with Garrot attempting to interact with the device in an intentional way. With considerably effort, she was able to activate the device again, focusing it on their area and where she believed her home town of Arable might be located. Using the device seemed to be physically taxing, however, and the intense pressure-headaches it triggered ultimately became unbearable. Believing she had adequate - if not abundant - guidance for where to direct their course, Garrot opened the hatch to descend back into the Orrery's control room, but stopped when he noticed something wrong...
- Ganthet used his lightening ability to jump to the entrance of the power vault to sever the liquid-like tentacle grasping his friend and the power core. As he hacked through it, Polious threw an electrical detonation cypher into the vicinity. Their combined effortes ruptured the tentacle, sending black acid all everywhere. The three were able to get the power core back into position and reconnected, but were not 100% satisfied with the resulting operations: Polious was concerned that the core was outputting too much power, but had to admit that any additional manipulation of the setup was likely to make things worse and not better. Above, they found that the Weathervane had stabilized closer to its "normal" operation, but that it's area of influence has shrunk considerably and Polious was concerned about a pinhole that had appeared in the perpetual clouds directly above the device's point. Over the next few days, townsfolk began making plans for clearing land and moving farms that were no longer under the influence of the artifact while Ronin, Ganthet, and the town's hunters discussed the growing presence of margr in the area...
- Helios, Naran, and Drokkan found a nearby area to rest before sending Helios back into the vault. Just before he began phasing through the metal door, a woman appeared among them asking to accompany him. It took them a few minutes to realize that this woman was a manifestation of the Sisters they had met in Mekel - she was apparently some sort of artificial construct housed within the numenera cube they had given to Helios and Naran. She wanted to find a place more suitable for herself, and believed the place Helios had found within the vault might offer more promise. Helios took the cube from Naran and phased through the door again. While looking around the room, he was met by two pale-skinned humans(?) who had some claim on the area he had discovered. They agreed to give him 1/3 of the contents of the room, which seemed fair. Meanwhile, Naran and Drokkan found themselves beset by dangerous bubbles issuing from what remained of the propulsion artifact they'd been examining when the whale awoke as well as a large rock-creature...
- As the engagement continued, both sides traded pot-shots as they attempted to maneuver for better position. When the firefight resumed, it was the heavier mechs that were in the fore. The Wolverine and the Phoenix Hawk both took significant armor damage over the following exchanges, though neither has yet lost internal structure or critical systems. The trucks continued around the hill back toward the road as Aralakh did its best to keep their lighter adversaries from damaging them further.
|Thursday April 19, 2018 at 8:15pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- The ghost who appeared in the Foxes' coal-mine lair intruded upon Drave's mind, showing him a tower in another district of the city containing the ritual components binding him to the witch Quellyn, before something pulled him back into the Ghost Field.
- Erik scouted the guard situation at the Molfon Estate ahead of their score attempt against it. Their noble contact Adelaide - through her servant Marta - had told them of a particular piece of jewelry she wanted from the Molfon family.
- Though they started off well, their plan to sneak into the house quickly went sideways as they were spotted by two guards who raised the alarm. After knocking one out, Erik intimidated the other who ran for help. Their cover blown, the two smashed a window to get inside but set off a security measure in the process which lit up the entire house with electroplasmic light. Drave began grabbing anything of value while Erik cowed a servant girl into telling him where the jewels were kept.
- Erik hurried upstairs into the master bedroom where he found a jewelry chest open and mostly empty. Suspecting someone hiding in the room with the missing jewels, he opened the closet door whereupon Lady Molfon shot at him with her husband's pistol and bolted for the open door.
- Drave found a couple of coin worth of valuables on a mantle and eventually ended up in the music room when all of the lights in the manor went out and the ghost of an old woman appeared at the piano...
|Monday April 16, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Nearing completion of the airship project and still in need of a bearing on their destination, Piper went to speak with Garrot at the Grand Orrery about something few know to be concealed within it: The Atlas. Though he was initially dismissive, Piper eventually convinced him to let her see it. The Atlas turned out to be some form of VR planetarium showing all of the major solar system bodies. Upon viewing this array, Piper's subconscious was able to manipulate the device - though, afterward, she was unsure how or why she'd done so.
- Black, liquid-like "tentacles" slipped themselves into the power vault where Polious, Ronin, and Ganthet were attempting to restore stablility to the Weathervane. The tendrils flowed themselves around people and objects as Ronin and Ganthet tried desperately to sever them while keeping the newly-connected core from malfunctioning. The grasping strands of darkness ultimately found the power core and began leeching energy from it. As Ganthet attempted to hack it away, a surge of will from somewhere in darkness beyond strengthened its hold, tearing both Ronin and the core from the wall and pulling them toward the abyss.
- Naran, Helios, and Drokkan immediately began attempting to depower the propulsion artifact they had inadvertently awakened even as the whale and the city on its back lurched forward toward the seabed. The giant creature with its ring of lights floated back toward them, seemingly curious about this new source of activity and extendended rigid, vine-like tendrils into the aft of the ship. Naran and Drokkan were able to deactivate the machine after only a few attempts and, as the whale-city began drifting to a stop, they all felt for a moment as though disaster had been averted. It was then that the static energy build-up made its presense known - growing to an intensity that resulted in a powerful arc between the propulsion device and the bulbous eyes of the looming creature trailing them. The creature reacted instinctively, ripping its tendrils from the aft of the city and shredding much of the surrounding structure in the process. This dislodged the massive propulsion artifact, which fell some distance toward the sea floor before it was caught by some sort of cabling which tore free down the starboard side, swinging the heavy device out in that direction and causing the whale to roll along with it. Just when the rotation had nearly inverted the city, the colossal creature finally awoke. Startled by the sudden activity behind it, it immediately began swimming toward what it believed to be the surface, smashing its back into the ocean floor beneath its entire mass; crushing the settlement that once perched atop it. The titanic creature thrashed about as it attempted to right itself - splintering wood, synth, and steel - before it finally succeeded in rolling over and ascending from the rubble. Naran and Helios had managed to get clear of the whale before the impact and avoided being buried in the waves of sediment kicked up from the sea floor by the flailing beast. They found Drokkan amidst the rubble, unharmed and smiling - standing before the partially buried vault.
|Friday April 13, 2018 at 9:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper went to speak with Ryse and the other Aeon priests at the Embassy of Truth, telling them about the transdimensional device she found in The Pipes. She also spent some time in the Embassy's library looking over the available maps. Ibe and a few of the other priests suggested some courses of action to determine the location of her home.
- Ronin and Ganthet went down into the ruins beneath the Weathervane with Polious to finally repair the artifact with the power core they'd recovered. Upon reaching the jury-rigged setup in the vault-like power room, they determined that the connections on the replacement core weren't going to make the project overly easy - and nor were the black tentacles reaching in after them...
- Helios began phasing through the vault door to see what was inside while Naran and Drokkan continued exploring the hold. They didn't find much else of interest in the vast storage areas of the ship-city - aside from a massive creature with a ring of lights around its head investigating the structure they were in. They pulled Helios back out just after he'd seen that the room on the other side of the Vault door was not at all what he expected. They talked for a minute about whether to address the creature, but decided not to chance agitating it - though they'd have to wait for it to leave before feeling it would be safe to reenter the vault. In the meantime, they decided to investigate the device Naran had previously discovered in the aft. They began scavenging it for numenera components when a portion of it unexpectedly powered up - and began pushing the whale-city forward, toward the sea floor...
- Though initially outnumbered, a stroke of incredible good fortune allowed Aralakh to completely incapacitate the opposing Whitworth with a pair of lucky headshots. The Wolverine managed to mostly return the favor a bit later, however, when it blasted off their Panther's right leg, taking it down. Both sides having downed units on the field has upped the stakes on this engagement considerably.
- Meanwhile, the Commando continues to harass the trucks they're escorting and their Phoenix Hawk is only now catching up to it. The company's Jenner is also running hot after continued attempts to swat the Wasp buzzing around it.
- Meanwhile, Steiner, Riley, and Morgan were escorting an overdue shipment to a neightboring city when they, too, were attacked by the bandits. Deficits in units and overall tonnage will make this a tough fight, but they are so far holding their own. Whether they can keep the attackers from destroying the trucks might be another question entirely.
- Erik [Tony] : Lurk
- Drave [Tim] : Whisper
- Telda : a roaming beggar and a good source for info on the street
- Flint: a spirit trafficker with a shop in the Foxes' territory
- Kobb: a gambler and broker who takes bets on the fights at the Broken Anchor
- Quellyn: a witch who holds a grudge against Drave for interrupting a ritual and the resulting injury and scar
- Darmot: a Coalridge Bluecoat who seems to have it in for Erik
- Candra: a sailor/boxer who underestimated him once and now takes special pleasure in beating him down
- As they finished setting up their operation, the crew got two score opportunities: one from their noble contact, and the other from the Circle of Flame. The first was to steal a particular antique necklace from a rival noble, and the second was to obtain an artifact from a carraige about to move through their turf. Since the latter was more time-sensitive, they decided to act on it first and risk the noble's impatience.
- Drave decided on a setup action to scout the likely routes and find a ghost that he could push to manifest and distract the Spirit Warden driver of the carriage. He was successful, but the spirit took an interest in him: it's apparently being controlled by another and it seeks release.
- While the driver was distracted, Erik entered the carriage and found it coated with ice. He managed to free the box containing the Soul Gem from its containment and made a run for it before the Warden could catch him.
- The Circle of Flame was impressed by the Foxes' daring success and gave them the 6 coin payoff promised.
- The crew took a fair bit of heat from the operation as they were both spotted and the Spirit Wardens are a high-profile faction. Erik attempted to pin the deed on some local rivals, the Stone Club, but only managed in further agitating that gang.
- The two had spent a day or to trying to unwind from the stress of their score and were planning their operation against the Molfon Estate for Adelaide's necklace when the spirit Drave and previously coerced appeared in their hidden lair...