- The group decided to meet with the mystery contact that had messaged their ghost card. The arrived at their usual meeting place early, and saw a limo approach and a group of people get out: a man in a nice suit with a half-cybernetic face and several obvious bodyguards. He told them he'd gotten their info from the group's DCPD contact and that he had a job for them: the rival corporation Ullertech had stolen a cybernetic prototype and he wanted them to get it back. They'd be paid 20k up front and another 80 upon completion. After some discussion, they decided to take the stranger up on the job.
- That night they saw the news broadcast about the creature attack they'd witnessed. They were somewhat unnerved to see themselves in some footage from a corp security camera and hoped the poor resolution would be sufficient to keep their identities a mystery.
- The next day, the group made some preparations and V sent a message to his hacker contacts looking for info on Aethercorp - a defunct corporation they suspect might be behind Justin Mills' activities and the monstrocity. Sara returned to the Delphi office in hopes of talking to Dr. Telns about some psychic disturbances she'd experienced: a sound like thousands of distant screams. Dr. Telns didn't seem to be present, but Sara spent some time talking with one of her associates who relayed a request from the Dr to her: Deidra Telns was hoping Sara could use her abilities to locate the nature and source of the disturbance.
- That night, the group traveled to the target area indicated by their employer: an area of Old Harbor still sparsely inhabited. Finding a power substation and following the largest conduits running through the sewers, they located the likely target building. While V spliced himself into the data lines and gained access to the facility's computer systems, the others broke their way in through the door at the bottom of the back stairwell. Once inside, they found their way through the dark and damp basement to the stairway up into the building. Looking up they saw a metal door, a very old and worn-looking keypad, and camera pointed in their direction...
- Having received multiple messages from Rory about the state of the case, the made arrangements to meet him for their payoff the next day. They finally managed to break on of the cases open. Inside they found 32 vials of some substance and an injector.
- Deciding to see what "Justin Mills" wanted in his message to Mario, the group headed over to the address at 3am. The location turned out to be an old Ullertech warehouse. The guards outside didn't know anything about "Justin". As they were leaving, a 12 foot monstrosity emerged from the shadows and began smashing its way into the facility.
- As the firefight began, the group retreated to a "safe" observing distance, where they happened upon a young woman videotaping the scene. Sara was able to assess that she was related to the media/press in some way.
- The creature did a lot of damage, took a lot of gunfire, and limped away. The group followed it an eventually found it collapsed and apparently dead in an alleyway much further into the Old Harbor district.
- The following day, the met with Rory to give him the untouched case, and told him they were gravely concerned about what was inside. He gave them their payoff, and they left.
- The group received a message on their ghost card indicating another time and passphrase, but the fact that it didn't seem to originate from their contact at the DCPD concerned them.
- V told the rest of the group that he suspects the whole thing to be the work of corrupt corporations - Proto-Nine, and the defunct Aethercorp that they suspect "Justin" is working for. His aim is to bring them all down somehow. And Sara tells them that she had received another message from the Watchful - the "resistance" group that seemed to have a similar aim...
- Deciding it was their best shot at getting access to the upper laboratories, V used his neural link to venture into the Proto-Nine computer system, heading for the security area. Once past the System Sentries, he found a panel full of door lock indicators and releases - the only problem was, he could only override them for a few seconds.
- The rest of the group made their way up to floor 82 and slipped through the door after V opened it. They found the labs on this level to be in a state of complete disarray. Sara located the case they had come to grab without too much trouble, and headed down and out of the building with it - playing off an encounter with Bluestar Security using some fast-talk and her psionic empathy.
- Kendra and Mario, meanwhile, grabbed another case and decided to check out some of the upper levels. V told them that the upper floors were all VIP/CEO penthouses and executive meeting spaces, but when the two arrived, they found the place completely abandoned.
- Returning to meet up with V who escaped from the VR system only after a tangle with one of the Sys-Ents, the three were able to convince Bluestar that they were legit and exit the building as well.
- The group met back up at Kendra's shop. They tried to open one of the cases, but only managed to scratch up the exterior. Meanwhile, Mario went to talk to some doctors about plastic surgery to repair his scarred face and on the way back stopped at one of the city's PostTerms where he found a message containing only an address and a time from Justin Mills...
- The group left the DCPD and split up. Kendra, Mario, and V made their way to the Marquee District to find some high-end communicators. The place they found, called "Comms & Bombs" was a bit lower-end for the district, but had what they were looking for. A bit pricey, but the team walked away with 4, subtle in-ear communicators that would reach a distance of about mile through most kinds of barriers.
- Meanwhile, Sara went to the Lift District to a generic office block in response to a message she'd received. There she met with Dr. Deidre Telns, a woman who claimed to be a part of an inter-planetary neuroscience firm called Delphi. As they conversed, it became apparent that they were, in fact, an organization dedicated to emergent psionics. The meeting was a little tense, and Sara remained very suspicious, however much the Dr claimed not to want anything more than to offer her organization's support in exchange for info about Sara's gifts.
- After the group reunited, they paid a visit to "Passed Gems", an antique shop buried in the Neon District. They mentioned Marion Plaskov and, after some persistence with the shopkeepers, learned that they were associated with an organization looking to depose corrupt corporations - one of them being Proto-Nine.
- The group then returned to Kendra's shop to plan their heist against P9 that night. Using the parking pass and IDs Rory had given them, they took the elevator up from the parking garage. On one of the lower-middle floors Kendra managed to swipe a Clearance 2 keycard from a worker who had fallen asleep at his desk, getting them up to floor 64. They managed to get inside one of the manager's offices on that floor, ducking the patrolling Bluestar security guard. While V tried to learn what he could from the computer system, they heard the guard's radio go off just outside and the announcement it made - apparently, they'd aroused some suspicion...
- The group found themselves under attack by mystery agents - presumably tied to the RVR corporation. Hotel Bluestar security arrived on the scene shortly after, but the chaos of the situation was already out of hand. The group managed to fight off the attackers and escape before more Bluestar arrived on-scene.
- Having obtained the data from the designated contact, V made the swap with K-Method for info on "Justin Mills". The alias was apparently being used by a corporate mercenary and assassin by the name of Victor Malstrik who seemed to be hired by a defunct corporation called Aethercorp.
- The group received a message from the DCPD on behalf of Marrion Plaskov, who had requested to speak with them. Their conversation didn't make much sense, but he did slip them a business card for an antique shop in the Neon district with the word "Watchful" hand-written on the back.
- V got a message from Rory offering a job. He apparently needed whatever was in the case Victor had taken, and is offering the group 60k to swipe another from the upper levels of the Proto-Nine headquarters...
- Concerned about a double-cross from Justin, the group hurried back upstairs. There they did indeed find someone with a gun in the room with Plaskov, but it wasn't the thug - it was Rory, a former coworker V knew from his days at Proto-Nine. V and Mario were able to talk him down enough to pass on what they knew about Justin and the case he had taken, at which point Rory bolted out of the room, apparently in pursuit. Unsure exactly of what was going on, the group kept tabs on the room until the police arrived - just to make sure no one else came in trying to do something with their target.
- They met up with Sgt. Askara again the following morning. She told them their pay would be on the card, but commented that there were a few details of the case that didn't make any sense. For one, Dynamics (the primary financial corp of the city) hadn't said word one about the missing cash. Also, they'd had an odd call from someone at Proto-Nine asking if they recovered any of the company's property when they arrested the perpetrator.
- Meanwhile, V got a response from someone within the hacker collective he'd asked to dig up info on their medic friend, Justin Mills. The contact, a person going by the handle "K-Method", told them there were 16 records for "Justin Mills" in Delcron's personnel database, only two of which were active. None of the 16 looked anything like the medic. The contact said they had additional info, but if he wanted it, V was going to have to do something for them. Namely, he needed to go to a casino in the upscale Marquee district and exchange an ID card for a data stick from a certain man. After some discussion, the group decided they'd make the exchange. V made the card per K-Method's instructions, and the crew bought some fancy clothes and made their way to the White Stag Hotel Casino.
- While Mario made some money gambling, the others set about looking for their mark in the sprawling 4-level gaming hall - eventually finding him among a group of wealthly-looking individuals from the RVR corporation - the single most powerful corp in Delcron City.
- When V gave the man the ID card, he was given a hotel keycard and a room number instead of a datastick, and was advised to 'keep an eye on' a particular man that seemed to be watching their exchange. The group headed into the hotel, pretty sure they were being followed, and made their way up to floor 56 which was undergoing renovations. While the others waited in the cluttered hallway, V found a suitcase in the room containing the datastick and a silenced, high-caliber pistol with a note reading "just in case". About that time, Kendra heard a crashing sound of something coming up behind them...
- The group made their way to the Gale-James Hotel and set about trying to figure out whether Plaskov was there and where he might be. They ended up running into Justin Mills - the medic from the previous night - and learned that he was actually after Plaskov too: not for the man himself, but for something he had apparently stolen. Some sort of tech his "clients" wished to recover.
- They'd figured out a likely floor, and after their discussion with Justin, decided they'd just go room-by-room, with a skeleton-keycard V had made from a room key lifted from one of the guests, until they found him. Sara's empathy gave them a clue, and they found Plaskov, apparently passed out drunk on his hotel bed. They bound him with ducttape and found the combination to the room safe. Inside was a bunch of cash, and the case Justin had been looking for, which he took and left.
- Not sure how they'd get Plaskov out of the hotel without raising a LOT of suspicion, they decided they'd tell their police contact where he was and just let them pick him up. While Sara was downstairs sending the message from the hotel's PostTerm, she saw Justin Mills have a brief exchange with another man as he was walking out - a man that happened to be one of the bikers from the night before - the one who'd shot Mario...
- The group broke into an abandoned apartment building across from the bar to stake out and watch to see if their target return - and he does, very early in the morning, meeting some kind of medic.
- The group decided they'd go grab him, but they hadn't counted on a trio of bikers arriving, apparently after Plaskov as well. The insuing firefight left Mario, Kendra, and the bartender wounded, the bar shot up, and Plaskov chased out of the bar.
- When the group met up the next day, they decided to sneak back into the closed bar to see if anything left behind might point them toward their quarry. Here they finally had some good fortune: Plaskov's jacket. Inside they found a folded piece of stationery from the Gale-James Hotel with what looked like a product model number for something secretive produced by V's former employer...
|Friday July 26, 2019 at 8:00pm||new campaign, savage worlds, delcron 2282, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
System: Savage Worlds
Setting: Delcron City
Players: Sheri, Taylor, Dave, Stephen
Schedule: Every Few Fridays
This game was started on Stephen's suggestion, and Taylor and Dave were really interested in getting to play something. After some voting, we settled on a cyberpunk-style game using the Savage Worlds system. I'm using a portion of one of my homebrew settings for this game.
Template: The party are a group of friends who have been taking jobs as private investigators and bounty hunters for the last year or so, and it's proving lucrative - or, at least, more lucrative than their crappy jobs.
- Sara [Sheri] :: a medic and emergent Empath
- Mario [Dave] :: an asteroid miner and pub bouncer
- Kendra [Taylor] :: a mechanic who runs a junk shop
- "V" [Stephen] :: a hacker now wanted by his former employer
Opening Session Highlights:
The crew got a message from their contact at the DCPD about a possible job. When they met up with sgt. Askara Kyotu at the usual place (an abandoned pier in the Old Harbor district), they were told about an armored car holdup. Three attackers, one of whom apparently killed the other two and was injured and on the run. They'd ID'd the man as Marrion Plaskov, a corp-worker in his late 40s who'd been let go about 15 months previous. The PD had gotten a tip about a man matching the description at a place called "Hotwired 6" in the Neon district near Res II. Askara told them bringing him in would be worth 20k to them.
- The group went to the bar, which was crowded and loud. They looked and asked around a bit, eventually talking to a couple of thugs who subsequently attacked them in the street outside. After Kendra took a wrench to one of their heads and Sara paralyzed the other with indecision, they learned that the group's target had paid them to "take care of" anyone asking questions about him. The thug told them the man indicated he would be back to the bar, and then fled down a back alley.