- The patrol kept an ear out for the sound of whatever was approaching, but decided not to venture out to investigate. Whatever it was seemed to pass them by.
- The following day brought the storm Hakett had predicted, and the group holed up and waited it out. The only incident occurred when a box turtle began making its way toward their shelter. Nip was able to establish some very rudamentary communication with it and convinced it to look elsewhere.
- The following day, the caravan once again headed out toward Elmoss. They decided to stop at a local wilderness homestead for wheel repairs, but found that it had been smashed and burned out. Their investigation turned up skunk tracks and ferret fur. The patrol discussed splitting up to go after the ferrets, but eventually decided their first duty was to the caravan. After the wheel was repaired, they set out again for Elmoss.
- The following day as they travelled down the road, Nip noticed they were being tailed by a grey squirrel whom she though might be after the grain in their carts. As she was relaying this information to Hakett, another squirrel burst onto the path from the right, smashing into one of the carts and tipping it over...
- After yelling to the others about the approaching snake, Clove leapt onto the creature's back. Hacket and Nip arrived shortly to help, and the three managed to kill the serpent before it could swallow Clove.
- The crew finished work on the bridge the next day and continued on toward Elmoss. As they went, Hacket noticed the change in the wind and told the group they would need to hole up somewhere because the next day was sure to bring a violent thunderstorm.
- The patrol was unable to find an ideal shelter, but they did find something passable a little ways from the road. It took some doing, but the group managed to reach relative safety before nightfall.
- Unfortunately, they efforts to get the carts of grain into the shelter had resulted in a broken wheel. The caravan leader Jayma told them about a homestead a bit further up the road. If they could rig a usable wheel to get them that far, the carpenter that lived there could probably give them a more permanent solution.
- As the group was winding down for the night, they heard something moving out in the forest - some distance away, but getting closer...
- The patrol spent a few of days at the Sunflower Inn and providing lookouts and support for the spring foragers around Ivydale, encountering a belligerent groundhog and some gathering crows.
- After a few days the grain shipment to Elmoss was ready to depart and the group began its escort to their next stop. On the second day, they came upon a washed-out bridge that would have to be repaired before they could continue. While out cutting small saplings for support structures, Clove spotted a water snake closing on the mice's position...
- After speaking to a few mice in town, the patrol set off into the foraging grounds to find the errant mice - two children, Kenley and Todd, belonging to a mouse called Bellatine.
- After talking with a few mice and following tracks some distance along the river away from the grounds where the other foragers had been, they determined that one of the mice must have fallen into the water and been washed downstream.
- The group found them camped under a rock overhang just as a young raccoon was closing in. Hakett managed to get the beasts attention and led it on a chase away from the others while Nip & Clove prepared to move the freezing children to a new location where they could make a larger fire - this was complicated by the fact that the older mouse, Kenley, appeared to have sustained a concussion and they were not able to rouse her to consciousness.
- The following morning, the mice returned to Ivydale and delivered the unconscious mouse to the local healer. They touched base again with constable Tanner, the mayormouse Melta, and Ranleff, the quartermaster in charge of the grainstores.
- The most pressing needs in Ivydale were to get the wall repaired where it had been smashed by a fallen branch, to make sure the mice foraging in the field were safe - especially after some tracks were found - and to escort the first spring shipment of grain from their winter store down to Elmoss.
|Friday July 17, 2020 at 9:00pm||new campaign, fate core, mouse guard 1156, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
Having been unable to run my normal, in-person games for some time, and with things looking more and more like it'll be a while before I can, it seemed like it might be time to start a remote-play game. Since Taylor & Dave had been begging me for some time to run some kind of Mouse Guard game, it sounded like a good choice.
System: Fate Core
Setting: The Mouse Territories
Players: Sheri, Taylor, Dave
Schedule: Remote play, TBD
- Hakett [Dave] :: Crabby Patrol Leader
- Nip [Sheri] :: Field Scholar Guardmouse
- Clove [Taylor] :: Battle-ready Tenderpaw
Hakett received a mission from the matriarch a bit earlier in the season than is usual. He and his patrol were to make their way southwest to the fallen settlement of Walnutpeck to look for evidence of new weasel activity. They'd still need to perform the other expected Guard tasks for this time of year, however, and on their way to the first stop at Ivydale encountered a section of the road that had been completely washed out. Deciding not to perform the 'quick fix' through the brambles atop the hill, they backtracked to the neighboring valley and cut a new path south. While doing this, they encountered a wandering badger, which they managed to avoid - but its presence so close to Lockhaven and Ivydale was concerning. Upon reaching the settlement the next day, the guardmice discovered a pair of young mice from the settlement had gone missing...
This is a new game we put together for my brother-in-law Michael. He wants to run a Fate game himself, but is having a difficult time getting people together. Also, while he's read the book, he wanted to see how it plays out at the table.
We had already decided on a "traditional" fantasy genre, but we set up the remaining game aspects collaboratively as suggested by the Fate Core rulebook. What we came up with was a high fantasy setting, based on a lost civilzation, where magic is being corrupted and the PCs need to find out why - or at least how and stop it.
[Michael] Jace - Soldier without a Kingdom
[Jese] Cassia - Quick-witted Huntress
[Sheri] Talia - Itinerant Historian
[Tony] Cooper - Acquisitions Expert for the Second Dawn
The group heard rumors of a cult that was speeding the corruption of magic in the world - and that they might be based in the ruin of a small keep in a forest some distance to the south. Upon arriving, they were met by a group of goblins fleeing from an angry ghost. Cassia was able to catch one of them and get from it that they were working for a sorceror, mining gold beneath the keep. Goblins inside the structure itself were more hostile than terrified, however, and the group had to fight two of them off before they could proceed deeper into the ruin...
|Saturday March 7, 2015 at 8:00pm||fate core, venus flytrap, game session notes, ruchtcon||Comments (1) »|
RuchtCon V, Retrograde, FATE Core
In which a team of explorers venture to the second planet to re-establish contact with a wayward botanical research station and discover a damaged satellite, energy-eating plants, violent lightening storms, a german u-boat, an enourmous predator, and hallucenogenic wasps.
- The group helps some insectoid formerly-human locals repel a Tetrani attack and learns about the bizarre history of the research installation.
The party helped re-establish order on the Defiant, set out to discover the fate of a military research site in a larger crater on the planet Nago II, and were unexpectedly attacked by aerial Tetrani forces as they made their approach.
The group deals with some aftermath on the ship after crossing the Zero Line, including an emergent biomorph, some twisted monstrousities, crazed crewmen and belligerent computer systems.
The group explores the derelict frieghter, discovers it comes from beyond the Zero Line, and reports to the captain of their ship, who, in turn, gives the unprecedented order to jump the Line.
|Friday February 7, 2014 at 7:00pm||new campaign, fate core, the zero line, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
System: Fate Core
Setting: The Milky Way Galaxy (Zero Line)
Players: Sheri, Tony, Adam, Tim
The Zero Line is a sci-fi setting based around emergent psionics in the context of an impending galactic apocalypse.
Trya Bucchari (Sheri)
Malcolm Faulknen (Tony)
Kenneth Lockley (Adam)
Trenton Greaves (Tim)
Group is assembled by by the Galactica Humanus Navy, Delphi and the Periphery Initiative to explore a far-periphery system. As they were about to set out, the GHN informed them their mission has changed and they were instead directed to investigate a derelict freighter which recently appeared in a coreward system.