- As the mink rose from the pond, the group attempted to hide with only partial success. The creature bore down on them, demanding to know who they were and why they were there. Clove was nearly captured, but in the end the three managed to make their escape.
- Retuning to the Blue Thistle Inn, they found Nendole already tending to the sick mouse, though she didn't seem terribly interested in the moss they'd gathered. As she tried to leave, Hakett lost his temper and grabbed her, causing her to shriek until his patrol mates freed her.
- Having seen to Tom as much as they could, the patrol left Copperwood heading back to Elmoss. They hoped to find some sign of Tom's wife Vereena, but none was found.
- When they arrived at Elmoss, they found that the settlement had been "closed" - and was no longer recognizing or allowing entry to Guardmice...
- The patrol headed north in search of the healer-mouse called Nendole. As they approached the area in which her hut was rumored to reside, they encountered a number of crude, mouse-like totems hanging from the surrounding trees, and Hakett's superstition and believe in the mystical overwhelmed him - causing visual and auditory halucinations of fog and menacing crows. The noise from his defiant cries attracted the attention of a nearby otter, whom Nipp just barely managed to convince that the armed guardmice would be more trouble than they're worth.
- Clove found the dead stump perched on the riverbank that contained the recluse's hut. They eventually convinced the eccentric mouse to speak with them, and even got her to begrudgingly agree to help. She sent them a bit further north to a pond to gather the necessary "springfire moss" - an plant which Nipp had never heard of.
- Locating the pond in a basin near the river, Nipp and Hakett went down to the water's edge to gather the very normal-looking moss, while Clove kept watch from the hilltop. It wasn't long before she saw the forms of a small band of ferrets making their way through the forest directly toward their location. More worrying, however, was the large mink now rising out of the water in front of Nipp and Hakett...
- The Patrol entered the settlement of Copperwood and made their way to the Blue Thistle Inn. Tom's condition had continued to deteriorate, and a faint with a nasty fall rendered him all but unconscious. Nipp attempted to help the local doctor - a young mouse called Riley - with his care, and had the physician tend to her own wounded leg as well. Unfortunately, Tom's wife hadn't made it to the inn, much distressing the innkeeper - her brother Bander.
- Meanwhile, Clove and Hacket met with Orpha, a captain for Copperwoods army, and discovered the largest problems currently facing the settlement were the driftwood that had dislodged from a beaver dam upstream and made the harbor and docks all but unusable, and the fact that a large and irritable snapping turtle had taken up residence a little ways downstream.
- While having dinner that evening at the Grainbarrel Tavern, they patrol met up with part of another patrol led by a mouse called Marta. She was interested to hear about the group's encounter with the ferrets and had Nipp place the location on their map as best she could. They had come down on Gwendolyn's request to speak with the leaders of the Copperwood army about their current strength and readiness, which they were so far evaluating as mediocre - but the efforts to clear the docks had taken most of their energies.
- The next morning, Riley was waiting for Nipp. Tom's condition had taken a bad turn in the night and his fever began to spike again. Riley's efforts were proving ineffective, and Nipp couldn't think of anything else to try herself. It was then that Elsie, the inn's chambermaid, hesitantly suggested that....maybe they could seek out a mouse called Nendole. A witch that lived in the forest north of town...
- The massive owl loomed out of the shadows, landing on the ground before them. It told them it was the hare it was after, and that the mice were free to leave. Rather than attempt to fight the enormous predator, Nipp tried instead to convince it that the hare had been poisoned by nearby ferrets and that eating it would in turn poison the owl. The owl seemed disinclined to believe the mouse, but as Nipp continued her insistence, it eventually became unwilling to take the chance.
- Unfortunately, Nipp convinced the owl not to eat the hare before she could direct its attention to the ferrets she knew were nearby, and the owl instead turned on the mice. Swooping down upon them, it grabbed both Nipp and Clove and began flying off with them.
- With some effort, Clove managed to free herself from its talon, but held on and made a heroic effort to free Nipp as well. Before she was able to, however, her grip finally failed and she fell back to the forest floor. Meanwhile, Nipp was able to identify a weak point in the bird's talon, and biting hard into it got the owl to drop her as well.
- Hakett, Tom and the hare began to make their way in the direction the owl had flown and, much to their surprise happened upon Clove and Nipp. At that moment, however, two of the ferrets from the burrow had caught up with them and were just about to leap onto the group when the owl suddenly swooped down on them from the darkness.
- As the predators struggled with each other, the group made their esape.
- Tom thanked the Guardmice for their aid and asked if they could take him to Copperwood where he hoped his wife was waiting for him. After 10 days of cautious travel, they arrived...
- Outside, the three had a brief discussion on what to do about the situation. Hearing something moving clumsily in the wood some distance away, Hakett decided to go investigate while Nipp & Clove decided to sneak in and attempt to free the captured mouse while the ferrets slept.
- Hakett happened upon a hare that had been injured by a ferret's spear. Unable to help the animal himself, he decided to return with Nipp. Meanwhile, Nipp and Clove discovered the door to the cell with the mouse was locked and neither were able to pick it open - fortunately, Hakett arrived and told them he thought he could get it open.
- While Haket climbed up and attempted to open the door's lock, Nipp used some oily supplies from her medicine bag to keep the hingest from squeaking.
- After freeing the mouse, they slipped out just as the ferrets began to wake.
- Hakett led them to the injured hare, but just as Nipp began to examine the animal, Hakett spotted a great owl leaving its perch...
- Iris & Ivy spoke to Jass for some time about his crystal, his version of the Elam Nethley tale, and his plans to get to the dwarven city of Unver Gaul to continue his search for the Heart of Shadow - as well as some discussion as to what they might do next themselves. When they said that the Nethley they had been pursuing was supposedly searching for a lost temple, he told them he had heard of a site called the Skytemple Ruins from one of the hunters.
- The shopkeeper Delna came to ask them if they could retrieve some special ferm leaves from the Blackwood Forest for her, as her normal supplier hadn't been to Laduun in some time.
- A couple of days later, Jass came to their inn at breakfast saying that he'd managed to get permission to enter the gate to Unver Gaul and asked if they wanted to accompany him. They had decided, howver, to pursue the lead at the Skytemple ruins and so parted ways. They agreed to leave word at the Cliffside Inn should they discover anything new regarding Elam Nethley.
- Iris & Ivy left Laduun an headed east along the cliffside to the place where a path wound through a massive cleft in the cliff. A few miles into the journey as they made their way through another narrow canyon, they were confronted by a winged, lion-like creature demanding all of their treasure...
- The patrol headed northeast from Elmoss back to the Tomstead with the intention of pursuing the ferrets they believed had been present and at least partially responsible for its destruction.
- Locating an old trail, they followed it for the better part of a day almost due south until they came to the entrance to an old ground hog burrow. They watched it for some time, seeing one ferret return. Later that night, they sneaked in and found a crack in the burrow wall leading into what must be a portion of the Darkheater - with a few ferrets inside. Listening to their conversations, they came to believe that the ferrets had captured and were holding one of the mice...
- Kole ran back to the shop to get Clove as Nip and Hakett engaged the spider and attempted to clear a path between it and the settlement's gate - eventually getting it open and letting the creature out. After ensuring that a couple of mice who had been bitten had received treatment, Nip returned to the shop to keep an eye on things there, while Kole, Clove, and Hakett went on to find the shopkeepers brother for questioning.
- The found Vessmer, a blacksmith of sorts, in a temporary shop outside his house on the north road. He was friendly enough until he caught sight of Kole and flew into an indignant rage, accusing the latter mouse of cheating in a previous card game. Clove and Hakett were able to subdue and calm the mouse enough to get some information out of him. He didn't like Kole but, while he may not have been a master craftsman, he thought his work seemed adequate.
- Upon returning to the shop, the resumed their discussion with Baddisk about Kole's pay. The shopkeeper tiredly proposed paying Kole half of what he had previously agreed. Kole wasn't especially pleased with the situation, but decided he was unlikely to get any more and agreed. Nip wrote copies of the document which each of them signed.
- Having settled the last of their commitments in Elmoss, the group set off for the Tomstead - hoping some trace of where the ferrets had gone remained...
- As Iris & Ivy fought the shadowy creatures descending from the cliff, they were joined by some of the town watch and the man Ivy had spoken to earlier in the day - and found that he also had a crystalline warrior that would appear to aid him in combat. Once the last of the creatures were destroyed, the two crystal warriors shook hands and vanished.
- The man with the glowing gem - a tall warrior dressed in hides and carrying a large sword - abruptly got up and left the tavern. Ivy pulled Iris outside and the two spotted him heading down a nearby alleyway, where he seemed to be looking quizzically at the amulet he was wearing.
- As he made his way back through the alleyway, they attempted to tail him with mixed results. Splitting up, Ivy ended up confronted by the man who seemed somewhat suspicious and confused. After some explanation, he seemed willing to talk to her.
- He was currently working in the mine as a guard, but had originally come to the city hoping to travel to Unver Gaul. He was looking for something called the Heart of Shadow that had belonged to a sorceror called Elam Nethley - apparently, there was a prophecy in his home village in a neighboring kingdom that that artifact would soon cause widespread districution in the area. He had also been given a gem by a man that mysteriously appeared in his camp one night. He agreed to meet them later to talk more.
- After meeting back up, Iris & Ivy decided to look into an advertisement they had seen about a shop called "Delna's Enchantments". The proprietor of the establishment clearly had some measure of elven blood herself, and seemed quite eager to serve them - giving them a significant discount on her services. She was able to help them indentify the properties of some magical items they had recovered from the hilltop ruin on the plain to the north.
- Ostra's tavern was every bit as crowded around the time of the evening meal, and dinner took them longer than expected. By the time they were headed to the Cliffside Inn to meet with the man called Jass they'd spoken to earlier. As they approached, Ivy noticed some shadows moving down onto the buildings from the cliffs - just as Iris looked up to see a long, tentacle-like claw reaching out for her...
- The hunting party escorted Iris & Ivy back to the Laduun Inn in the city, where they spent the remainder of the day resting.
- The following day, they spent some time getting a feel for the city and to gather some information. It was a large, walled community tucked into the foothills at the base of a massive cliff where mines bored into the mountainside.
- They learned that the gate leading to the tunnel road to the dwarven city Unver Gaul had been closed due to monster activity, and that one of the mines was similarly affected, causing some unrest: miners were striking and counter-striking around the issues of creatures in the Ironhold mine. They even found a posting requesting guards to help defend those working in the mine from unknown creatures.
- The two also spoke to a local elven scholar called Elivius Thorrel who told them he had also heard the story of Elam Nethley, though the version he told was somewhat different from the legend they knew.
- As they attempted to make their way to a prominent tavern for lunch, a swarm of black bee-like creatures began pouring into the city, seemingly coming from the cliffs.
- After fighting off the blackbees, they continued to Ostra's Tavern, where Ivy caught site of a glowing gem around one patron's neck which seemed to echo a blue glow now coming from Iris' backpack...
- The leader of the goblins stepped forward, seemingly surprised to see them emerge. He asked in broken common whether they'd killed the ogre and what they wanted. Ivy managed to convince him that the ogre was dead and that they could have their lair back and they slipped away before the other goblins turned violent.
- On the road southeast to the city of Laduun, they were caught-up-with by the blue creature who attempted to communicate with them, but had a great deal of trouble doing so. It seemed to want them to help it get home, though it couldn't articulate where its home was. In the end, it simply accompanied them on their journey.
- As they entered the foothills near the cliffside and the city, the group was attacked by a number of diseased wild boars. The fight started to turn ugly when a group of hunters from the city arrived - just after Ivy was incapacitated by one of the creatures...
- Iris & Ivy descended into the ruin of the tower and the caverns beneath it - encountering a carrion crawler and the ghost of a goblin warrior tied to a magic sword. The ghost wasn't happy to see they were elves, but told them they could keep her sword if they killed the ogre who dwelled in the caverns.
- The two ended up finding and destroying the ogre, who turned out to be a servant of Erythnul, in some kind of old throne room. There they also found a chest full of treasure.
- As they emerged from the ruin, they found a group of goblins waiting for them...
- Iris & Ivy spent the next couple of days in Helok's Ford awaiting to give their testimony in the trial of the theives they'd caught. During this time, they did look at some local records in the local temple. They didn't find anything relating specifically to Elam Nethley, but they did find some odd discrepancies in the records around the same time.
- The two gave their testimony at the trial and remained to see what would happen. The two theives were given a lenient sentence of hard labor. As came to light during the trial, there were some local tensions between some of the fishermen - which the theives cited as the reason for their actions. Some of the local authorities are looking to resolve those issue.
- The following day, Iris & Ivy left Helok's Ford heading east and south toward Laduun, planning to head to the dwarven city of Unver Gaul from there. As they traveled across the plain, they caught site of an old ruin on a small hilltop.
- As they made their way to the site to investigate, they were attacked by a few goblins looking for food. After fighting them off and continuing to the site, they found a collapsed tower - the basement of which was littered with various bones and pools of foul-smelling goo...
- Nipp attempted to push her hot-tempered tenderpaw out of the common room at Solomon's Inn, but Clove was both stronger and more agile than her mentor. The drunk mouse Dranden engaged in something of a shouting match with the young mouse about the flaws of the guard wherein it came to light that he held them responsible for the death of his daughter. As Dranden ran out of energy and Solomon intervened to convince him to go home, the situation dissolved - but there seemed to be a significant number present who shared his thoughts.
- The following morning, the local mouse Kole arrived to take the Guardmice to the shop where he'd done his work and not been paid. They examined the worksite and spoke with the shopkeeper who told them he had to get his brother Vessmer in to "fix" Kole's poor work. As they made their way to Vessmer's house to ask him some question, they found that a large wolf spider had emerged in the center of town where preparations for Vernalstar were taking place...
- Hakett, already somewhat tipsy, returned to Solomon's Inn on the east road in Elmoss. There he amused himself telling tall tales of giant weasels to one of the younger waitstaff, and was asked by a local mouse called Kole if he could help get his pay from a withholding shopkeeper. Hakett agreed, but the errand would have to wait for the following morning.
- Nip and Clove made their to the upper tree area of the settlement and spoke with members of the Guild of Moss about purchasing a few rolls for the Lockhaven apothecary. Elmoss' own supply was low so the price was somewhat inflated and in order to purchase most of what they needed, they also agreed to carry additional moss to Sprucetuck.
- Nip and Clove then met back up with Hakett at Solomon's for dinner, where a drunk mouse was beginning to cause trouble for them...
- Ivy and Iris spoke with Typhel at the Hall of Light, and managed to get some healing for Ivy. From there, they made their way to the encampment they had found outside of town. As they approached, they heard the voice of a man shouting at someone. Sneaking closer, they saw the other suspect yelling at the blue creature.
- The two were spotted, and a chaotic battle ensued between them and the blue creature, the man, and one of the guards from town who had apparently also been nearby.
- They eventually drove the blue creature off and captured the man, and are currently heading back to town with the guardsman.
- The patrol did their best to fight off the squirrels who'd set upon the caravan's grain, only losing one back in the process. They managed also to avoid the attentions of a kestrel.
- The group continued safely to Elmoss, where the city guards seemed less than happy to see them. Hakett returned to a favorite pub called the Pillbug to do some thinking and take the edge off the journey's trials while Nipp and Clove delievered the mail, secured lodgings, and discovered where to acquire the moss Konrad had sent them for.
- Iris & Ivy took their captive back to town and turned him over to the local militia. Later they took the captain and a few others to the camp they'd found and recovered the rest of the stolen valuables, though they hadn't been able to find the other suspect - a man called Dav. The captain asked them to stay in town for a few days as they would need to speak to the magistrate regarding the incident.
- The pair then went over to the docks to find a man called Haelmare, whom they'd been told may have been around when Elam Nethley came through around 50 years ago. He agreed to meet with them that evening at the tavern and told them about his encounter with the man. His description of Nethley wasn't at all what they'd expected.
- Iris decided they should try to catch the other thief, but Ivy was fairly worn down from their previous encounters. They decided to stop by the local temple before returning to the camp to see if Dav returned...
- The winged blue creature who had taken Iris' sword snapped its fingers summoning a few tiny air elementals and leapt out the window. While Ivy chased after it, Iris ran out of the room and outside. Unsure of the best course of action, she decide to find one of the town guards who took her to speak with their leader. The guards listened to her account, but were unconvinced that the creature was the theif they had been looking for.
- Ivy, meanwhile, had followed the creature just close enough to catch site of it diving into a wooded area on the riverside about half a mile north of town.
- The two met back up at the inn and finished resting. Early in the morning they made their way to the place Ivy had seen where they found a small camp with a sleeping man, a pair of bedrolls, and Iris' sword leaning against some heavy-looking packs.
- As they made their way to the packs and grabbed Iris' sword, the man awoke and the blue creature came flying into the camp shrieking frantically. The man attempted to frighten them off while the creature swooped in swinging at Iris with its claws.
- The pair fought off the man, eventually severely injuring him while the blue creature became more distressed. Its howling seemed to summon winds from off the river which coalesced into a massive air elemental.
- Iris grabbed one of the packs while Ivy picked up the injured man and then they quickly exited the area, taking their captive back to town...
- Ivy & Iris helped the travelers right their cart and collect their horses and then continued to the river town of Helok's Ford. When they arrived, they were questioned by a couple of guardsmen about who they were, what their plans were, and how long they'd been in the area. Apparently there had been a recent rash of break-ins and thefts and the leadership suspected a transient or new-comer.
- Looking for an old fisherman called Haelmare who might have been around when Elam Nethley entered the area, the two went to a tavern he was said to frequent: a dockside dive called the Backwater. They didn't find him, but they did speak with a half-elven server who told them another man had asked about Elam Nethley nearly a year ago.
- The two decided they would try to find Haelmare at the docks in the morning, and went to get some rest at the Stonebridge Inn. As they rested, Ivy became aware of something moving in the room - when she roused herself, she saw a strange, whispy blue figure perched at the window as if about to leap out - holding the scimitar their grandmother had given Iris...
- The patrol kept an ear out for the sound of whatever was approaching, but decided not to venture out to investigate. Whatever it was seemed to pass them by.
- The following day brought the storm Hakett had predicted, and the group holed up and waited it out. The only incident occurred when a box turtle began making its way toward their shelter. Nip was able to establish some very rudamentary communication with it and convinced it to look elsewhere.
- The following day, the caravan once again headed out toward Elmoss. They decided to stop at a local wilderness homestead for wheel repairs, but found that it had been smashed and burned out. Their investigation turned up skunk tracks and ferret fur. The patrol discussed splitting up to go after the ferrets, but eventually decided their first duty was to the caravan. After the wheel was repaired, they set out again for Elmoss.
- The following day as they travelled down the road, Nip noticed they were being tailed by a grey squirrel whom she though might be after the grain in their carts. As she was relaying this information to Hakett, another squirrel burst onto the path from the right, smashing into one of the carts and tipping it over...
- Headed back to the village of Bolgrove. Camped on the way. During the night, a man calling himself Eli appeared to Iris, asked her questions about their quest, and gave her a purple crystal.
- Upon returning to Bolgrove, stopped at the tavern and the home of the druid Saffa. Were not able to find any info on the "heart of shadow" or the other man who seemed to be looking for Elam Nethley, but the druid told them that the "dwellers of the deepest darkness" might allude to the dwarves of the Galloth Mountains. There is a gate to an underground passage to the dwarven city of Unver Gual from the mining town of Laduun.
- The following day, they set out for the kingdom toward Helok's Ford to cross the river and then continue south to Laduun, as this was their best lead. On the road, they met with a caravan being attacked by giant insects - and they ran in to assist.
- After yelling to the others about the approaching snake, Clove leapt onto the creature's back. Hacket and Nip arrived shortly to help, and the three managed to kill the serpent before it could swallow Clove.
- The crew finished work on the bridge the next day and continued on toward Elmoss. As they went, Hacket noticed the change in the wind and told the group they would need to hole up somewhere because the next day was sure to bring a violent thunderstorm.
- The patrol was unable to find an ideal shelter, but they did find something passable a little ways from the road. It took some doing, but the group managed to reach relative safety before nightfall.
- Unfortunately, they efforts to get the carts of grain into the shelter had resulted in a broken wheel. The caravan leader Jayma told them about a homestead a bit further up the road. If they could rig a usable wheel to get them that far, the carpenter that lived there could probably give them a more permanent solution.
- As the group was winding down for the night, they heard something moving out in the forest - some distance away, but getting closer...
- The sisters continued on toward the Sunken Shrine. The found a broad, submerged avenue lined with broken columns leading up to an overgrown and crumbling stone structure. They noticed a couple of humanoid skeletons partially-submerged as well. While Ivy was examining one of them and Iris was looking over the statue, the two were attacked by and aggressive pack of rats and one giant dire rat.
- After fighting off the rats with Aelrah's (Iris's wolf companion) help, the two entered the building. While attempting to dismantle the barrier between the antechamber and the main hall, they heard a creaking overhead and scraping sounds outside. Outside, they found the skeletons had animated and were coming to attack them.
- Ivy's quarterstaff made short work of the skeletons and they returned to the structure. After gaining access to the main chamber, they discovered a naga - an enormous snake with a reptilian woman's head. She told them that Nethley wasn't there, but that another had come looking for him. He had mentioned something about a "heart of shadow" and the naga had told him to seek out those that "dwell in the deepest darkness". After some conversation that nearly turned violent, the naga succeeded in convincing the two to leave its lair.
- Level up to 2
Hannah has played No Thank You Evil and enjoyed it, but we may have reached a point where it's simplicity and whimsy aren't quite as enticing as they used to be. Not that she doesn't like kid things, but she's 9 now and has been into Harry Potter, Avatar, and some fantasy books that aren't quite as "for small children".
Trying to think of some more creative things to do during this pandemic thing, when we asked if she would be interested in playing D&D, she was adorably excited. Because I'm me, I spent way too long conceiving of a setting (and WAY too long drawing a map for it). We ordered her some dice of her own, and this last weekend spent an evening and an afternoon rolling up characters and starting an adventure.
System: D&D 3.5
Setting: The Kingdom of Elionde
Players: Sheri, Hannah
- Iris [Hannah] :: Elven Druid
- Ivy [Sheri] :: Elven Monk
Twin sisters Iris and Ivy had happened upon the mostly-forgotten mystery of a famous druid from their country called Elam Nethley. Nethley possessed a potent magical talisman said to have been blessed and empowered by the angel Saphrielle. Around 50 years ago, he had traveled north in search of a lost temple and never returned. Magical attempts to contact him or discern his fate failed, but a divination suggested that if any were searching for him, they should travel to the Kingdom of Elionde.
Iris and Ivy had been travelling along the west road through the White Ridge Forest for more than a week when they arrived at the tiny logging village of Bolgrove. Stopping at the tavern for food and lodging, they learned from a local hunter about the existence of a ruin the locals called the "sunken shrine" in the swamp to the southeast.
The next morning they headed toward the shrine, having decided to investigate it for clues. Just as the knight statue they'd been told about came into view, they were attacked by a large and unusually-aggressive constrictor snake.
- The patrol spent a few of days at the Sunflower Inn and providing lookouts and support for the spring foragers around Ivydale, encountering a belligerent groundhog and some gathering crows.
- After a few days the grain shipment to Elmoss was ready to depart and the group began its escort to their next stop. On the second day, they came upon a washed-out bridge that would have to be repaired before they could continue. While out cutting small saplings for support structures, Clove spotted a water snake closing on the mice's position...
- After speaking to a few mice in town, the patrol set off into the foraging grounds to find the errant mice - two children, Kenley and Todd, belonging to a mouse called Bellatine.
- After talking with a few mice and following tracks some distance along the river away from the grounds where the other foragers had been, they determined that one of the mice must have fallen into the water and been washed downstream.
- The group found them camped under a rock overhang just as a young raccoon was closing in. Hakett managed to get the beasts attention and led it on a chase away from the others while Nip & Clove prepared to move the freezing children to a new location where they could make a larger fire - this was complicated by the fact that the older mouse, Kenley, appeared to have sustained a concussion and they were not able to rouse her to consciousness.
- The following morning, the mice returned to Ivydale and delivered the unconscious mouse to the local healer. They touched base again with constable Tanner, the mayormouse Melta, and Ranleff, the quartermaster in charge of the grainstores.
- The most pressing needs in Ivydale were to get the wall repaired where it had been smashed by a fallen branch, to make sure the mice foraging in the field were safe - especially after some tracks were found - and to escort the first spring shipment of grain from their winter store down to Elmoss.
|Friday July 17, 2020 at 9:00pm||new campaign, fate core, mouse guard 1156, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
Having been unable to run my normal, in-person games for some time, and with things looking more and more like it'll be a while before I can, it seemed like it might be time to start a remote-play game. Since Taylor & Dave had been begging me for some time to run some kind of Mouse Guard game, it sounded like a good choice.
System: Fate Core
Setting: The Mouse Territories
Players: Sheri, Taylor, Dave
Schedule: Remote play, TBD
- Hakett [Dave] :: Crabby Patrol Leader
- Nip [Sheri] :: Field Scholar Guardmouse
- Clove [Taylor] :: Battle-ready Tenderpaw
Hakett received a mission from the matriarch a bit earlier in the season than is usual. He and his patrol were to make their way southwest to the fallen settlement of Walnutpeck to look for evidence of new weasel activity. They'd still need to perform the other expected Guard tasks for this time of year, however, and on their way to the first stop at Ivydale encountered a section of the road that had been completely washed out. Deciding not to perform the 'quick fix' through the brambles atop the hill, they backtracked to the neighboring valley and cut a new path south. While doing this, they encountered a wandering badger, which they managed to avoid - but its presence so close to Lockhaven and Ivydale was concerning. Upon reaching the settlement the next day, the guardmice discovered a pair of young mice from the settlement had gone missing...
|Saturday May 2, 2020 at 4:00pm||no thank you evil, wand of the deep, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Hannah: Wizard ("Star")
- Micah: Robot
- Sheri: Spy
- Upon emerging from Marlin's Tower, they saw a bright red boad approaching the dock - empty apart from the pelican they'd seen earlier perched on it. Star and Sheri got into the boat, while Micah jumped into the water and walked to shore on the seabed.
- The group proceeded through the forest of Into the Closet until they reached the Braggy Crags. About halfway through, they started to hear cries for help above the boastful voices of the crags. They found an alien creature being captured by a trio of Sawtooth Witches and Buglar guards. After a bit of sneaking and pummeling of the guards, the group freed the alien Gronk, for which he thanked them.
- The group finally reached The Hive sometime later, and talked/threatened their way inside to see Woodlyn, the bee queen. Woodlyn directed them to their "bibliograbee" Mystaa, who was head of their library. Mystaa wasn't very cooperative, but they eventually convinced her to let them borrow the Leafsicon if they could acquire the Kitchen Witch's copy of 'Ally Alchemist's Cookbook'...
|Sunday April 26, 2020 at 4:00pm||new campaign, no thank you evil, wand of the deep, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
System: No Thank You Evil
Setting: Storia: The Land Next Door
Players: Sheri, Hannah, Micah
Schedule: Occasional weekend afternoons
Since Hannah has been talking about wanting to play again lately, I decided to start a No Thank You Evil campaign for the whole family. Micah's only 4, but he did pretty well his first time - and everyone had a lot of fun. The way I run NTYE has morphed a bit over time. Overall the system and setting are fantastic, but I've started stripping out things here and there that I think adds a bit of "clutter" - at least for our us.
- Hannah: a Pirate named Crystal
- Micah: a Pirate
- Sheri: a Wizard
The group appeared on a rocky beach near a sunken tower. They heard a voice from the tower beckoning them inside. Down the beach they found a rowboat to reach the tower, but had to fight off some giant, crab-shaped Animal Crackers to get it. They were also chased by a Crackin' on their way to the tower, but managed to get to the dock before it destroyed their boat.
- Inside, they met Marlin - the fish wizard. He told them he needed their help to find a magical artifact called the Wand of the Deep. It was somewhere in Storia, but he hadn't been able to find out where. He asked them to go to the forest of Big Blue where all of Storia's history is written, to see if they could find its last known location.
- Unfortunately, everything written in Big Blue is in the Language of Leaves. Before they could read anything in Big Blue, they would need a Leafsicon to translate. Marlin didn't have one, but thought queen Woodlyn might - so he suggested they start there. He also said he had some things in a chest upstairs they could have before they left.
|Thursday March 12, 2020 at 9:00pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The Foxes met up with Boros and the rooks who'd been waiting nearby; they joined the group while Drave went to investigate the reports they'd gotten about their hideout in the Coalridge mine. As they entered Doan's to get rid of the bouncers, they immediately found themselves under attack. Thane and Asp were able to recover from the ambush and chose to engage their attackers with demands. While Boros restrained one of them, Asp demanded that the other take his friend and leave - that this was their place now. Clearly outnumbered and off-balance, the two bouncers retreated without a fight.
- The Black Foxes are growing in strength and reputation, and are close to ending this war with the Stone Club. Time is running out on some of their obligations, however, and Drave has now discovered that their hideout is currently unusably haunted by the Ghost of Lord Weirin...
- Taryn once again found himself in his recurring dream of a card game between himself, his patron Olidammara, and an entity he is sure was a representation of death. As the game progressed, Taryn began to fair better, ultimately playing cards that ended the game in flames. All that remained was a single, glowing crystal. As he tossed Taryn the crystal, Olidamarra once again told him that he had, in fact, done all he could for him - but his tone this time was more bemused than grave.
- The group met downstairs for breakfast and discussed how to proceed. They talked with a halfling called Landon a bit about some oddities of the local plant and animal life, and asked Baillin where they might be able to find the elders. The group made their way to the elders' house among the reeds on the western edge of town. As they approached, they saw a pair of figures standing just outside the building: one was a black haired elf, and the other was a young girl in a tattered dress - a girl whom Lily amazingly recognized as a cousin who only would have been 3 or 4 when their family's caravan had been attacked by slavers almost 12 years ago...
- The group headed to the Night Drive club in the Neon Green to find Victor Malstrick, trying to get more info on the corporate string-pulling that seemed to be going on and to figure out how he fit into all of it. After talking their way inside, they managed to find him through a woman called Lilith. Victor told them he would tell them where they could find Balthazar - one of the former Aethercorp execs - in exchange for doing a job for him (and in addition to the 500k payoff), and they agreed. They would need to plant an object and some data inside the HQ of a corp called Corvin-Systova.
- The next day, they met with the DCPD, who'd contacted them again via their ghost card. The man who met them told them he was there on behalf of Sgt Kyotu (whom they knew). The job he was sending them on was a bounty - they were after a man called Alexandre Makarta, a mid-level Proto-Nine executive. They were offering 200k.
- V was contacted again by Rory, who gave him a datadrive from the Proto-Nine messaging system that might contain recoverable messages between high-level P9 execs. He also told V that P9 was raided and that it's collapse was imminent. He tried to extract the deleted data, but found with the tools he had available, it was going to take a significant amount of time.
- After meeting with Victor again to pickup up the package, the group made their way toward the Corvin-Systova HQ. Just as they were putting their plan of infiltration into action, Sara received a mental contact from the girl she believed was behind the psychic shrieking she had experienced - this time, however, the contact seemed delibrate and contained some context clue as to her location...
|Thursday February 20, 2020 at 9:00pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The crew's efforts to sway Merson away from his association with their rivals continued to grow shakey as the evening continued. Having set up the groundwork as being a local doctor with connections, Thane made a desperate bid push Merson to agree to a future meeting at his office. The aggressive "invitation" fell flat, however - though it attracted some attention from the Bluecoat, Cork, who was also at the table.
- As Thane was leaving the table, the ghost of a well-dressed gentleman appeared at the table and sat down. Drave used his Attuning abilities to interact with the spectre, and learned that it wanted to join the game. Seeing an opportunity in the fact that no one else could hear anything the Ghost was actually saying, Drave leaned into Merson and suggested that the Ghost was there for them - and that he could protect them from it in exchange for some measure of Merson's loyalty. Merson agreed, but they Foxes would need to rid of the Stone Club's "bouncers" at Doan's bar first...
- Meanwhile, outside, the Stone Clubs gang had made a show of force against the Foxes by way of cornering Thane. He was able to stand his ground, however, and a nearby Bluecoat presence might have played a role in the leader's decision to simply re-state his threat instead of escalating the encounter.
- The group discussed for some time exactly what to do next, even using a Divination spell to try to determine the best way forward. They ultimately decided they would use their lyre to repair the city's fractured wall, and then head southeast to the fishing village of Tonler looking for info on the Osada Forest and the secluded elven settlement said to be there.
- Despite evidence of orc raiding on their way down, they found the village of Tonler still mostly at peace. Guards did keep watch on the palisades for orc activity, but they hadn't experienced any direct attacks - though they do suspect an overdue caravan may have fallen victim to them.
- Most of the few that they talked to in the village seemed wary of the forest to the south, and were generally less-than-eager to talk about it. The one elf they encountered told them of the locals' superstition and that he had spent some time in the forest and did find it a little..."off". While he didn't have much specific information on the elven settlement, he did mention that, despite their denials, the two elders of the town were commonly rumored to be from it.
- As the assault continued, Mjolnir destroyed the remaining turret and breached the perimeter wall in two places. The Vindicator, Clint, and light tanks on the other side managed to land some respectable hits - including a worrisome headshot on the company's Shadow Hawk - but it is becoming pretty clear that they are likely insufficient to repel the assailants. Two helicopters arrived on-scene are providing some additional threat, but the last exchange fell pretty decidedly in Mjolnir's favor.
- While V went to meet with Marion Plaskov to inquire further about the Watchful, Kendra, Mario and Sara went to meet their employer and make the delivery. This went without incident: their contact, Hwan Byeong, was impressed with their performance and the group walked away with another 80k along with the suggestion that future contracts might be considered.
- V wasn't able to get much out of Plaskov other than the fact that he'd been hired by someone to hit the armored van. He was hesistant to mention the Watchful or any of their activities. He implied that they might be able to speak more freely in a legal environment, and V gave him his contact information so that this might be arranged.
- V was contacted by his old coworker Rory who had become aware of the disarray in the Proto-Nine HQ. He wanted to know if V knew anything about it, and the two talked a little about what the group had seen when they broke into the facility. V offered Rory some pay to stay at P9, do some prying, and report on anything he might be able to find out about what had been happening.
- Delpub was airing more news on "monster" sitings as well as Corvin-Systova's rebuttal to Ullertech's assertions that they were behind the incidents.
- Sara tried again to contact whatever disturbed mind was sending out the psychic shrieking she and other members of Delphi had perceived. The target seemed to be a child, probably a girl between the ages of 9 and 13. While solid contact proved elusive, she was able to send a simple telepathic message asking "what did you lose?". She was met immediately with a mental shout showing a man and a woman, whom Sara suspects might be the girl's parents. Calling V over, she shared their images with him and asked if he could find anything about them. Initial searches, however, turned up nothing. A few days later, she was able to contact the girl again - this time while she was asleep. From the disorienting dream-mind, Sara was able to extract her name: Ryma Forsben.
- The group received another message on their ghost card for another meeting...
|Thursday February 6, 2020 at 8:30pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
Asp [Taylor] : Slide
- Drave and Thane made their way into the black fog within the tavern, searching for the gathering they'd been told about. Unfortunately, they quickly became disoriented and lost, encountering a coin-laden ghost and a spectral door in a back corner of the establishment. Drave attempted to interact with the ghost, but managed only to upset the being, which began to deform and emit a deafening howl.
- The two slipped away back into the fog and were about to give up their search when a voice greeted them - telling them it could aid their search in exchange for something. Thane found himself unable to turn and look at the speaker, but Drave managed to resist the compulsion and turned to find an enormouse spider probing its forlegs into Thane's brain. Drained of further resolve, he wasn't able to tell his companion about what was happening. Thane agreed to a trade, and the spider planted the knowledge of Merson's location in his mind before retreating into the darkness above.
- Drave and Thane found the card game where Merson was present with two men and two women - and shortly joined by a Bluecoat called Cork who told them if they wanted to talk, they had to play.
- The two were dealt in and began their talk about the Stone Club's immenent demise - speaking to no one in particular, but hoping to plant seeds of doubt in Merson's mind. One of the others at the table - a woman called Asp - seemed to be trying to aid in this effort by asking questions and verbally underlining certain details...
- Lily continued distracting/entertaining the people outside. As she moved up onto the steps of the tavern's porch, she became aware of the shouting coming from the argument inside. Giving looks to her companions, Ravina and Tyrrox made their way closer to the building.
- As their conversation with Respina concluded, Kael mentioned to her that he and his friends were needing to leave the city. She seemed surprised and a little concerned by this, but advised them that, if that was their intent, they should probably leave sooner rather than later. Taryn gestured to the unfolding altercation between the thugs and the tavern owner behind him, and told Respina that the man was part of a cult that had been causing trouble for the city - all the way back to the incident at the Festival of Thorns. She asked whether he should be taken into custody, but Kael said he would follow them to see where they went.
- When the argument in the tavern finally came to a head, the thug made some threats, flipped over some tables, and stormed out. Joining the man on the porch, the three of them headed away from the area. Kael and Tyrrox followed them to another tavern near the docks called the Siren's Cask. After a few minutes, they followed them inside, but didn't see any of them within the small establishment. They had a brief conversation with the gruff bartender before rejoining their companions to decide what to do next...
- Kendra & Mario did their best to avoid the camera and hotwired their way past the old keypad. Inside they found a debris-filled hallway that appeared to be under construction. There were no stairs to grant access to upper levels, and the only door was on the back side. Finding no obvious way to open the door, the two had V (who was still hacked into the system from the sewers outside) open it for them.
- Inside, they found a much different environment: a clean and brightly-lit corporate research facility. They made their way to the elevators only to be confronted with a heavily armed and armored security guard. Fortunately for them, they got the jump on him and were able to take him out before he could even respond.
- On V's direction, K&M headed up to the 5th floor where the vaults that supposedly contained their target were. Using a backdoor in the security system, V was able to bypass the compex computerized lock on the vault they wanted and opened it. Unfortunately, it was about that time that the corp became aware of his presence in the system and, not too long after that, the fact that there were intruders in the facility. V locked all of the doors, but not before the other security guard made it to their level. She sent out a request for backup, but V had already hijacked their outgoing data connections and her alert was funneled into a black hole. She fired a few bursts of automatic gunfire at K&M, who were saved by their bulletproof vests, and Mario was eventually able to knock her out with his robotic arm.
- Meanwhile, Sara was outside keeping an eye out trouble approaching on the street and also probing for whatever was generating the psychic noise she'd been experiencing. While she wasn't able to make contact with it, she was able to feel its presence just past the edge of her perception. It seemed to be a young mind, a powerful psion, and one not completely in control of its powers.
- K&M grabbed the device they'd come to recover and made their way neatly out of the building. Thanks largely to V's efforts, there was no cavalry coming to make things more difficult for them. The group returned to Kendra's Klunkers to talk about their next move.
- Sara returned to Delphi's offices to speak with Deidre Telns about what she'd learned, and V made his way to the antique shop "Passed Gems" to speak with the Watchful. He gave them the other case they'd swiped from the Proto-Nine HQ and told them he and his friends were interested in bringing down the corrupt corporations...
- Mjolnir's Wrath made their way toward the target planet of Capricorn III with Gallager's Minutemen. Lengthy conversations on the 7 day burn from their jump point decided that they would both hit the area Gallager felt most likely contained their primary targets: munitions factories producing autocannon ammo. The designated area was the military base on the edge of a large city on the northern continent called Sellefry.
- Gallager sent a scout into the area, and she returned with news that the military sprawl on the northern area of the city contained a single mech hangar that could hold up to 2 lances, a number of light tanks, and perimeter turrets. It also contained at least two buildings that looked to be factories of some kind.
- In order to overwhelm and minimize losses, the group decided they would both attack the base. A small distraction effort by Gallager divided their attention, and by the time the main force began it's attack on the perimeter defenses, the base's defense forces were scattered. As they began their assault, Mjolnir's Wrath saw that they were dealing with two LRM turrets, two light tanks, and a pair of medium mechs: a Clint and a Vindicator.
- As the engagement unfolded, Gallager told them that he was currently engaging a Hunchback and a Jenner in addition to a few tanks of his own - and he warned that he was picking up incoming airborne radar blips...
- On his way to meet the others at the temple where Rothan had awakened, Kael was met by Eliot Jaand of the Watch and told that the Prime wanted to speak with them. She would be at a tavern in the south market district from noon. They should be as inconspicuous as possible. After the group finished talking with Rothan, the decided to go see what this was about.
- While Lily, Ravina, and Tyrrox waited outside in the busy market, Taryn and Kael went into Sasha's Tavern. They made acquaintances with the bartender and the owner herself before Respina arrived. The Watch Prime told them that she had grave concerns: someone was attempting to undermine their efforts to prepare the city for the orc horde. There was a evidence of sabotage in several areas and she was suspicious of the origin of whatever malady had afflicted the Constable and his Second. She was planning to recommend the city be magically sealed but needed someone she could trust to investigate to find the culprits.
- During this conversation, a couple of thugs entered the tavern and began harassing the owner. Taryn noticed what appeared to be the bottom of a Many Eyes, Many Teeth insignia tattooed on the back of one man's neck...
- Rothan had been healed, but was still unconscious. The priest and his guards flew back to the city, and the group decided to continue on through the night.
- As they neared Rolessi the next morning, Tyrrox saw something like the mirage of a signpost and somone sitting by it - though it turned out to be a tree stump. Tyrrox heard someone's voice coming from somewhere.
- Once at the city, they found the gates had been sealed and so needed to traverse to the far side - though they did convince the guards on the wall to pull Rothan over.
- The city seemed to be making preparations for a seige by the orc force, which scouts indicated was moving closer.
- Taryn continued having his strange dream about some kind of card game with his former patron and a mysterious dark entity.
- The group was notified when Rothan awoke. When questioned about what had happened, he told them about arriving in Kelsguard, meeting up with a treacherous man called Aulthust, the portal in the bowels of the keep, and the demonic entities coming through it.
- The group left the keep and returned to the abandoned village, setting up camp for the night in the empty Dark Pine Inn. During the night, they were visited by the strange old woman looking for her son, whom they'd seen at the keep some weeks ago. Kael tried to get her to leave, but she appeared inside his room, near the injured Rothan. Unnerved by the intrusion, Kael called for the others and continued to yell at her to get out.
- The group found a wagon they could use to transport their unconscious patient, and started off toward Rolessi in the rain the next day. When they made camp that night after a hard day, they found that Rothan's corrupted injuries seemed to be worsening. Afraid he wouldn't make it to the city, Kael and Ravina wind-walked to the Temple. Ravina brought one of the priests back while Kael attempted to retrieve horses but found that the gates were being barred and reinforced - and the guards were refusing to open them.
- After arriving, the priest consecrated the area and suggested the use of a magical artifact to concentrate their healing magic to a potency that might be sufficient to clear the cursed wound. As they began, however, they found themselves attacked by demons, and the writhing wound itself seemed to be resist their efforts. The ritual was ultimately successful, healing the corrupted wound and bleaching everything in the area a brilliant white.
- Having fought off the attacking sigil and eventually dispelling it, the group passed through the door and descended into a round chamber connecting three large tunnels and containing a misshapen arch they believed was probably the former portal to Ver'Sheole. In addition, they found a large demon corpses, and a living and possibly conscious but completely unresponsive Aegis Rothan - a man that had disappeared from Igveston months ago.
- As the group tried to bring Rothan out of his stupor, they became aware of a number of lesser demons converging on their location. They closed what doorways they could, and carried Aegis back up into the keep.
- Noting some supernatural wounds that resisted healing, the group decided they needed to get Rothan back to Rolessi - for healing and, hopefully, answers...
- The next morning, the Watch Prime came to escort them to the White Hall. Once there, they met again with Mayor Dale and Lord Magnar as well as a couple of the Talonwings who had recently returned from a scouting mission. After reports were exchanged, the Mayor asked if the group had any particular advice with respect to where to focus their energies. While the party admitted the rise in recent violent crime was troubling, they felt that ensuring the city was as prepared as it could be to deal with the orc horde was the most critical concern.
- The group then went to the Iron Hall to speak with the assassin they'd captured after the previous night's ambush. He didn't have much info for them, other than to say that they had been hired by someone called Black Shade specifically to kill them - and that he expected additional attempts soon.
- Meanwhile, Kael had received a letter from an elder in the elven settlement of Velgrin detailing a past relationship and a clue as to the possible whereabouts of Kael's father. Kael told the group he would be pursuing this lead, as it was his reason for being in the region in the first place. Lily, however, saw another troubling aspect to the letter: it mentioned a great "mother tree" with large, reddish, 7-pointed leaves. Leaves identical to the one the pixie had shown her which was starting to become brown and brittle. If the corruption was also in the south forest, that would suggest it was nearly everywhere.
- Feeling there might be some connection between Ver'Sheole, the events at Saint Orvusk, and what they first encountered at Fort Kelsguard, the group decided to return to the latter. Within the bowels of the keep, they found a green, glowing icon of a two-headed serpentine creature shimmering before an iron door. As they approached, the walls around them began to crack and decay, and, just before it lashed out at them, they heard its words: "My power is growing"...
|Thursday December 5, 2019 at 8:30pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The Foxes laid low for a couple of days before again resuming operations. They had an encounter with the Stone Club's gang in Fenwell Hook that kind of ended in a stalemate. Tellis reappeared and gave them a couple of tips including the location of the Club's hideout and the name of an individual that runs their gambling racket. He also told them that taking out the face of the org wouldn't be enough - if they wanted to cripple the Stone Club, they would need to deal with the leader of the gang - a man by the name of Dauch.
- Though running out of time on several commitments and opportunities, the Foxes decided they needed to press their advantage against the Stone Club. Coming to the conclusion that direct confrontation was not their forte, the crew decided to undermine the Club's financial situation by convincing the gambling tychoon to switch allegiances.
- After doing some legwork, the found out that Merson participates in a card game with some other locals once a week at the Black Circle Tavern in the north of the district. The establishment seemed to be a bit more high-brow than they were accustomed to and, once inside, they also found it difficult to navigate. A strange shadowy darkness seemed to fill all of the spaces between the table, making it very difficult to identify any other parties present...
- On their way back to the inn from the White Hall, the group quickly found themselves under attack on a street in the Shops District by a coordinated force of assassins. The resulting skirmish was brief and intense, but they managed to stay on top long enough to outlast their assailants. When representatives of the Watch arrived and inquired as to what had happened, the group explained the situation. One of the attackers that was alive but had been knocked unconscious was taken into their custody.
- The group continued back to the inn where they asked the innkeeper who had delivered the message Ravina had received. The innkeeper told them it was one of the city couriers who usually worked for House Magnar.
- The silence was broken by the sound of a whiskey bottle shattering on the saloon floor. The man cleaning the tables turned away from the stranger in the doorway and stormed out of the room. The bartenter seemed just as confused as to what was going on. He told them that the man in the gray suit was called Malone and that he was fond of hanging around the abandoned train station.
- After finishing their breakfast, Victor decided to get some sleep at the Last Lights hotel while the others went to find Mr. Malone. The conversation with Malone at the train station was somewhat unnerving and confusing. The man seemed to display a very calm and curious insanity - and was very interested in them. After they concluded their discussion, Leah went to see about getting into the post office where she'd be working while the others took a cue from Victor and decided to get some rest.
- After a short rest, James went with Victor out to check up on his sister Sara. She was very happy to see them, and obviously distressed at her husband Edward's behavior. She told them that he'd disappeared for a few weeks, and since he'd returned he'd been out digging in the pasture. She was concerned about his sanity, and also that his partners - other former coal miners with whom he'd started the ranch - were going to kick him out. The two went out to the pasture where he had dug 9 holes about the same size and shape as graves, and was just staring at them. As Victor expressed his sister's concerns, Edward became confrontational. He rambled about the heat, about not believing it, and about having to go back before collapsing into near-unconsciousness. Victor and James got him back to the house, and Sara called for Father Clarence and a nurse called Jessica Farns.
- That night at the saloon, James and Victor got into a brief scrape with a man called Jack Santos they'd seen earlier that day at the Ranch. Some time later Mr Malone appeared again near Jack and a few others - they seemed very agitated by his presense. As he walked back to the door of the saloon, he asked them "who it was going to be". Jack pointed angrily at James, but Mr Malone told him "No, not that one - he's not one of us." The marshall then got up and said they could take this disagreement outside, but Mr Malone told him it was too late for that. It was then that Jack pulled out his gun and shot another man. Both he and Jack seemed utterly shocked by this. Mr Malone walked outside, muttering something to himself.
- Chaos ensued, during which a candle was tipped into a puddle of spilled liquor and ignited a fire. One of the other men took off after Mr Malone. James was the first outside, where he saw a large splatter of blood in the street leading toward a darkened alley. Down the alleyway he found more blood, entrails, and body parts. As he examined them, he caught a brief glimpse of a spindly shadow moving further into the darkness. The others joined him in searching, but they found no more evidence beyond some strange scorch marks on a few nearby buildings...
- The group decided to meet with the mystery contact that had messaged their ghost card. The arrived at their usual meeting place early, and saw a limo approach and a group of people get out: a man in a nice suit with a half-cybernetic face and several obvious bodyguards. He told them he'd gotten their info from the group's DCPD contact and that he had a job for them: the rival corporation Ullertech had stolen a cybernetic prototype and he wanted them to get it back. They'd be paid 20k up front and another 80 upon completion. After some discussion, they decided to take the stranger up on the job.
- That night they saw the news broadcast about the creature attack they'd witnessed. They were somewhat unnerved to see themselves in some footage from a corp security camera and hoped the poor resolution would be sufficient to keep their identities a mystery.
- The next day, the group made some preparations and V sent a message to his hacker contacts looking for info on Aethercorp - a defunct corporation they suspect might be behind Justin Mills' activities and the monstrocity. Sara returned to the Delphi office in hopes of talking to Dr. Telns about some psychic disturbances she'd experienced: a sound like thousands of distant screams. Dr. Telns didn't seem to be present, but Sara spent some time talking with one of her associates who relayed a request from the Dr to her: Deidra Telns was hoping Sara could use her abilities to locate the nature and source of the disturbance.
- That night, the group traveled to the target area indicated by their employer: an area of Old Harbor still sparsely inhabited. Finding a power substation and following the largest conduits running through the sewers, they located the likely target building. While V spliced himself into the data lines and gained access to the facility's computer systems, the others broke their way in through the door at the bottom of the back stairwell. Once inside, they found their way through the dark and damp basement to the stairway up into the building. Looking up they saw a metal door, a very old and worn-looking keypad, and camera pointed in their direction...
- After a couple more exchanges with no real progress on either side, Isaac managed to turn the tables on Vostok with one decisive salvo, setting himself up for the win a round or two later. As Fyodor made his way off the field, Isaac attempted to smooth things over by congratulating him on a good match - with some success.
- Meanwhile, Thaddeus attempted to quietly enter the bar where his crewman Marshall Fox was holding a gun on another patron. Unfortunately, the chime above the door gave him away and startled Fox, who reflexively whirled to see who was coming up behind him, giving the thugs in the bar an opening to leap on him. Thaddeus ultimately waded in to the resulting melee in an attempt to pull Marshall out. By the time Thad had KO'd one of the attackers, Marshall had managed to get just enough leverage against the one pinning him down that he was able to pull himself free - limping, but not seriously injured.
- The situation fizzled from there, and the two got a cab back to the drop port - during which time Thad was able to pull little out of the dispondent crewman about what had happened. Morale on the small crew had taken an obvious hit over the concern about Fox's actions and well-being, so Isaac had the ship's mate call everyone back from leave where he gave them all news of his win, their new ally, and their hopefully-lucrative contract - and to celebrate, he was taking everyone out for a night on the town.
- On monday, the crew met with Major Caldwell at a military office to sign and discuss the particulars of their mission. They would be heading to Capricorn III - a Capellan world in a near-border system. They would be target munitions factories and depots on the planet. The AFFS would be covering transportation to and from the system, and would be paying them a 750k contract fee for the mission. They were free to take whatever salvage they could pull from the planet during the week of operations.
- On friday, they lifted and over the next week made their way to the system nadir to rendezvous with the merchant-class jumpship Sunset Crane and Gallager's modified leopard Krenshar. From there, it took about 5 weeks to make the jumps to the Capricorn system, where the two merc companies detached and began accelerating toward their target world...
GM's Note: One of the great things about this session was the snake-eyes I rolled for Marshall Fox's reaction to the door chime when Thaddeus entered the tense situation. I had prepared a bunch of possible dialog angles between Thad, Fox, and the gang that all when out the window when Marshall completely dropped his composure. One of the things I love about RPGs - sometimes the dice make pretty radical turns in the story.
- The group split up in the gallery and spoke to a few others present, including the Watch Second Wencia Naldibar, and Osiris Knell, a resident wizard. Also in attendance were a few nobles they recognized, including a young man who has a beef with Kael over his interest a certain member of House Barens, and a woman they'd seen acting strangely at the Magnar City Social earlier in the year.
- When the hearing concluded, the group met up outside the gallery where they were approached by Heglan Foula, one of the nobles in opposition to Julius Nevarg's push for increased internal focus. He offered the party a substantial sum to "investigate" House Nevarg in search of conflicts-of-interest that might call into question the house's motivations.
- Meanwhile, Lily had been "called" back into the darkened gallery by a pixie who came to ask her about what she and her companions did up at the monestary at Saint Orvusk. He told her that their actions had had some effect on the ongoing corruption, but that it wouldn't be enough to prevent its worsening.
- The group then left the White Hall and headed back to the Baron's Tower to ask the innkeeper about who had given him the false message when they suddenly found themselves under attack...
- Having received multiple messages from Rory about the state of the case, the made arrangements to meet him for their payoff the next day. They finally managed to break on of the cases open. Inside they found 32 vials of some substance and an injector.
- Deciding to see what "Justin Mills" wanted in his message to Mario, the group headed over to the address at 3am. The location turned out to be an old Ullertech warehouse. The guards outside didn't know anything about "Justin". As they were leaving, a 12 foot monstrosity emerged from the shadows and began smashing its way into the facility.
- As the firefight began, the group retreated to a "safe" observing distance, where they happened upon a young woman videotaping the scene. Sara was able to assess that she was related to the media/press in some way.
- The creature did a lot of damage, took a lot of gunfire, and limped away. The group followed it an eventually found it collapsed and apparently dead in an alleyway much further into the Old Harbor district.
- The following day, the met with Rory to give him the untouched case, and told him they were gravely concerned about what was inside. He gave them their payoff, and they left.
- The group received a message on their ghost card indicating another time and passphrase, but the fact that it didn't seem to originate from their contact at the DCPD concerned them.
- V told the rest of the group that he suspects the whole thing to be the work of corrupt corporations - Proto-Nine, and the defunct Aethercorp that they suspect "Justin" is working for. His aim is to bring them all down somehow. And Sara tells them that she had received another message from the Watchful - the "resistance" group that seemed to have a similar aim...
- Isaac Clarke went to talk w/ the Major Caldwell about their contract and found out that Vostok's Hijackers had requested an override on the AFFS' decision to award part of the contract to Mjolnir's Wrath - citing their superior accomplishments. He tried to talk the major into sticking with his original decision, but Caldwell indicated that, even if he himself didn't like it, on paper, giving the job to the Hijackers seemed to make more sense. It was then that Fyodor Vostok joined the conversation and suggested a 'mech duel as a way to decide, the Major seemed to like this idea.
- The following morning, the gathering reconvened at the Northtown Military Base's training grounds, where Isaac and his Hatchetman faced off against Fyodor and his Quickdraw using virtual weaponry. The first few exchanges landed decidedly in Vostok's favor, and Isaac is now scrambling to turn the tables.
- Meanwhile, Thaddeus received a call from their ship's mate: one of their crew apparently left the ship about 20 minutes previous - with a pistol. Thaddeus found out where he was going and headed that way. When he arrived, he found one of the ship's techs pointing a gun at a patron at the bar...
- Kael and Ravina went to the Temple of the Golden Sun to report the situation at Saint Orvusk to the clergy there. The priest they spoke to was a little confused about their reports of Orvusk's grave being broken into because, he told them, Warult Orvusk was buried there in Rolessi.
- Lily returned to House Dyn'Talor to request they send a message to their members in Igveston about the growing orc problem, and they had a short conversation about the fey of the Charothi Forest.
- Later, the group received a message from Tyless Vallane requesting their presence at the ongoing hearings at the White Hall that night. The hearings were a part of the continuing debate between where enforcement resources should be allocated: within the city where violent crime was rising, or focused outward where reports of orc activity had people on-edge. When they met up with Tyless Vallane in the gallery, however, he told them he hadn't written the message and wondered what duplicitous entity wanted them at the White Hall...
Setting: Dark West, Northern New Mexico Territory, Town of Redwood
System: In The Cards (homebrew)
- Leah [Sheri] :: The new postmistress
- Victor [Tim] :: Rancher coming to visit his sister
- Oliver [Dave] :: Company man come to find out why coal shipments have stopped
- Roxanne [Taylor] :: ???
- James [Tony] :: Traveler looking for a fresh start in a new place
- A group of travelers meet up on the road and camp together with a man called an old prospector a few hours outside the town of Redwood. They all shared dinner and had a nice chat about the area. Elijah, the prospector, told them that the area had been declining quite a bit since the coal mine closed and the trains stopped coming into town, but he was hopeful that the area would stick it out and survive.
- Late that night, the group was awakened to the sounds of Elijah hurriedly packing up his things in a near panic. They found the stagecoach driver and his two guards dead from apparent stab wounds, and Roxanna saw something moving outside the camp. Whatever it was, Elijah apparently caught sight of it too, and went screaming into the night in the opposite direction as Leanne swore she heard a distant train whistle. On edge but unwilling to risk the horses in the darkness, the group holed up in the camp until morning.
- The next day they headed into Redwood. While Leanne and Victor delivered the mail to the town hall and spoke to the marshall about what had happened, Oliver, James, and Roxanna went to the Bucksaw Saloon for some breakfast and an early drink to calm their nerves. They spoke to the bartender about the previous night's events, and James asked if there were any local natives that might have stories about "things" roaming the wilderness. He told them he could only think of one natve that lived in town - the widow of a miner by the name of Caleb Solomon. One of the barhands seemed to be listening to the conversation and seemed, for some reason, to be growing very angry because of it.
- It was then that another man appeared in the saloon entrance. He wore a nice, grey suit and was looking at a gold pocketwatch. The already quiet saloon fell completely silent. As he looked up, he smiled and said in a low voice "Can you hear that train, a-comin'?"...
GM's Note: The idea for this game came out of a conversation a month or so ago when someone suggested we do some kind of horror one-shot on halloween. I kicked around a few ideas while putting it together, but pretty quickly decided this would be a great opportunity to finish the idea I had for a western-themed game system that used only cards and poker chips - no dice or even character sheets. Over the course of a week or so, I fleshed out the basic ideas and put together a creepy, Dark West game to run with it. It didn't take super long to explain, seemed to run quite well, and everyone really loved the feel of it. I may make further tweaks, but I'm quite happy with how it came out. Of course, I cannot "one-shot" a "one-shot", so we only made it through about 1/3 of the scenario, but everyone liked it enough that we decided we would try to get together soon to see if we couldn't continue it.
- After a brief conversation with the captain of the military caravan, the party contined back to Rolessi. There, they split up and made reports about the gathering orc horde to Kael's contact at the House Vallane Adventurer's Guild, the Watch Prime, as well as Mayor Dale and Lord Magnar. Overall their reports seemed to be believed, but questions remained...
- Deciding it was their best shot at getting access to the upper laboratories, V used his neural link to venture into the Proto-Nine computer system, heading for the security area. Once past the System Sentries, he found a panel full of door lock indicators and releases - the only problem was, he could only override them for a few seconds.
- The rest of the group made their way up to floor 82 and slipped through the door after V opened it. They found the labs on this level to be in a state of complete disarray. Sara located the case they had come to grab without too much trouble, and headed down and out of the building with it - playing off an encounter with Bluestar Security using some fast-talk and her psionic empathy.
- Kendra and Mario, meanwhile, grabbed another case and decided to check out some of the upper levels. V told them that the upper floors were all VIP/CEO penthouses and executive meeting spaces, but when the two arrived, they found the place completely abandoned.
- Returning to meet up with V who escaped from the VR system only after a tangle with one of the Sys-Ents, the three were able to convince Bluestar that they were legit and exit the building as well.
- The group met back up at Kendra's shop. They tried to open one of the cases, but only managed to scratch up the exterior. Meanwhile, Mario went to talk to some doctors about plastic surgery to repair his scarred face and on the way back stopped at one of the city's PostTerms where he found a message containing only an address and a time from Justin Mills...
- The group descended to the fleeing caravan and engaged the orcs and monstrous wolves attacking it. They were just starting to gain the advantage when one of the orcs, apparently a druid, turned into a massive bear and toppled one of the wagons. The group managed to fight off the bear and the remaining orcs, allowing the remaining wagon to continue toward Rolessi.
- The following morning, the group had left Igveston and was travelling toward Rolessi when they spotted smoke rising some distances to the south. Knowing they were seeking signs of the orcs they'd been told were massing in the region, they decided to detour and investigate.
- Upon reaching the locale, they found a massive orcish encampment on the borders of the Charothi Forest, spilling onto the western Cyrran Plains some miles east of the village of Etteseph. Among the orcs they found ogres, monstrous vultures, and signs of seige weapon construction. Perhaps most interestingly, they found that the horde seemed to be commanded by a group of hobgoblins who themselves were lead by a human. Using his ethereal ability, Kael entered the commander's tent and saw a dwarf there he recognized from the Magnar City Social some weeks previous.
- Having attainted this intelligence, the group left for Rolessi. Travelling eastward across the plains, they came upon a small detachment of the Reaches Military being harassed by orcs and monstrous wolves...
New Characters: Patrick & Roland
- As Isaac and Thaddeus began their conversation about which contracts to opt into, Fyodor Vostok, the commander of Vostok's Hijackers, approached and attempted to convince Isaac to sell Mjolnir's Wrath to him for 50M. The offer was arguably low, and Isaac still had higher hopes for his budding company, so he declined - visibly irritating Vostok.
- Dresden and Nathaniel arrived and joined the conversation. The group tried to get more info out of the Major and Hollaster about the recon mission they'd been tipped to, but had only limited success.
- They were later approached by Samuel Gallager, head of Gallager's Minutemen, who suggested they work together on one of the offered Search-And-Destroy missions. He seemed interested in their company, and insisted Isaac tell the story of how he'd once single-handedly taken out a Battlemaster in his Hatchetman. After some further internal discussion, they decided they'd take him up on it.
- It was a while later that they noticed the blue confirmation light on their mission slot revert to a "pending" white as Fyodor placed his bid on the previously-full mission...
- The group left the DCPD and split up. Kendra, Mario, and V made their way to the Marquee District to find some high-end communicators. The place they found, called "Comms & Bombs" was a bit lower-end for the district, but had what they were looking for. A bit pricey, but the team walked away with 4, subtle in-ear communicators that would reach a distance of about mile through most kinds of barriers.
- Meanwhile, Sara went to the Lift District to a generic office block in response to a message she'd received. There she met with Dr. Deidre Telns, a woman who claimed to be a part of an inter-planetary neuroscience firm called Delphi. As they conversed, it became apparent that they were, in fact, an organization dedicated to emergent psionics. The meeting was a little tense, and Sara remained very suspicious, however much the Dr claimed not to want anything more than to offer her organization's support in exchange for info about Sara's gifts.
- After the group reunited, they paid a visit to "Passed Gems", an antique shop buried in the Neon District. They mentioned Marion Plaskov and, after some persistence with the shopkeepers, learned that they were associated with an organization looking to depose corrupt corporations - one of them being Proto-Nine.
- The group then returned to Kendra's shop to plan their heist against P9 that night. Using the parking pass and IDs Rory had given them, they took the elevator up from the parking garage. On one of the lower-middle floors Kendra managed to swipe a Clearance 2 keycard from a worker who had fallen asleep at his desk, getting them up to floor 64. They managed to get inside one of the manager's offices on that floor, ducking the patrolling Bluestar security guard. While V tried to learn what he could from the computer system, they heard the guard's radio go off just outside and the announcement it made - apparently, they'd aroused some suspicion...
- The party regrouped and decided they would make their way back to Rolessi. Figuring that Igveston was on the way back to the larger city, the decided to stop in and have a drink at the Laughing Jack - and to take a look around to see if there were any further signs of disturbance there.
- They spent some time talking with Jack about recent goings on, and learned that overall things were calmer than they had been. Taryn asked Jack about some divine "issues", Kael danced to the amateur musician playing that evening, Ravina played cards with some locals, Tyrrox met up with some old buddies from the Briglau House Guard, and Lily made her way to the Magus Academy to check in on Valthious.
- Despite the overall urgency of their present situation, the group realized they were all pretty tired (and that Kael was pretty drunk) and so decided to go ahead and stay the night in Igveston and head home in the morning. That night, Taryn once more found himself in a dream he's been having more and more frequently - a revisiting of the afterlife...
System: Battletech / Mechwarrior Basic 2e
Setting: The Capellan March, Inner Sphere
Players: Tim, Adam
Schedule: Occasional Thursdays
- Mjolnir's Wrath was invited by their contact, Lt. James Hollaster, to a sort of "contract party" hosted in the Fortymile system. The AFFS was apparently planning a military campaign that was going to make significant use of merc units, and a number of the best in the region were present in the large hotel conference hall.
- The officiating major welcomed the various units and presented 8 potential contract offers with few details for which they could offer their services, including planetary assault, search & destroy, and reconnaissance. The evening was to be spent in negotiations and socializing over horderves, dinner, and champagne. Hollaster had privately suggested they take one of the low-paying recon missions, but his motives are not precisely clear and something with a bit more cash and action seems more attractive...
- The group found themselves under attack by mystery agents - presumably tied to the RVR corporation. Hotel Bluestar security arrived on the scene shortly after, but the chaos of the situation was already out of hand. The group managed to fight off the attackers and escape before more Bluestar arrived on-scene.
- Having obtained the data from the designated contact, V made the swap with K-Method for info on "Justin Mills". The alias was apparently being used by a corporate mercenary and assassin by the name of Victor Malstrik who seemed to be hired by a defunct corporation called Aethercorp.
- The group received a message from the DCPD on behalf of Marrion Plaskov, who had requested to speak with them. Their conversation didn't make much sense, but he did slip them a business card for an antique shop in the Neon district with the word "Watchful" hand-written on the back.
- V got a message from Rory offering a job. He apparently needed whatever was in the case Victor had taken, and is offering the group 60k to swipe another from the upper levels of the Proto-Nine headquarters...
- Concerned about a double-cross from Justin, the group hurried back upstairs. There they did indeed find someone with a gun in the room with Plaskov, but it wasn't the thug - it was Rory, a former coworker V knew from his days at Proto-Nine. V and Mario were able to talk him down enough to pass on what they knew about Justin and the case he had taken, at which point Rory bolted out of the room, apparently in pursuit. Unsure exactly of what was going on, the group kept tabs on the room until the police arrived - just to make sure no one else came in trying to do something with their target.
- They met up with Sgt. Askara again the following morning. She told them their pay would be on the card, but commented that there were a few details of the case that didn't make any sense. For one, Dynamics (the primary financial corp of the city) hadn't said word one about the missing cash. Also, they'd had an odd call from someone at Proto-Nine asking if they recovered any of the company's property when they arrested the perpetrator.
- Meanwhile, V got a response from someone within the hacker collective he'd asked to dig up info on their medic friend, Justin Mills. The contact, a person going by the handle "K-Method", told them there were 16 records for "Justin Mills" in Delcron's personnel database, only two of which were active. None of the 16 looked anything like the medic. The contact said they had additional info, but if he wanted it, V was going to have to do something for them. Namely, he needed to go to a casino in the upscale Marquee district and exchange an ID card for a data stick from a certain man. After some discussion, the group decided they'd make the exchange. V made the card per K-Method's instructions, and the crew bought some fancy clothes and made their way to the White Stag Hotel Casino.
- While Mario made some money gambling, the others set about looking for their mark in the sprawling 4-level gaming hall - eventually finding him among a group of wealthly-looking individuals from the RVR corporation - the single most powerful corp in Delcron City.
- When V gave the man the ID card, he was given a hotel keycard and a room number instead of a datastick, and was advised to 'keep an eye on' a particular man that seemed to be watching their exchange. The group headed into the hotel, pretty sure they were being followed, and made their way up to floor 56 which was undergoing renovations. While the others waited in the cluttered hallway, V found a suitcase in the room containing the datastick and a silenced, high-caliber pistol with a note reading "just in case". About that time, Kendra heard a crashing sound of something coming up behind them...
- While Lily and Taryn inspected the dagger they'd found in the abbot's back, Kael, Ravina, and Tyrrox descended into the catacombs. There they found the bodies a few orcs and hobgoblins and a number of scattered bones decorated with golden runes.
- Meanwhile, Lily and Taryn heard a banging sound which they traced to a set of large double-doors that had the familiar eye-tooth symbol painted over them. When they called out to whatever was inside, the pair received a two-word reply: "save us".
- Scouting ahead, Kael descended to the bottom of the crypt, where he found more bodies and a group of five glowing, skeletal guardians positioned near one of the far tombs that had apparently been broken open. The whispered chant they'd been hearing seemed to be coming from these beings.
- Taryn pulled the door open. On the other side they found a large meeting or dining hall containing dozens or hundreds more bodies, all of it shouded in a thick, ghostly mist. The distressed spirits of the deceased seemed trapped and confused. Taryn and Lily performed a kind of musical 'last rites' for them, and felt the ghostly presence fade from the room.
- Having decided not to engage the skeletons without their companions, Kael, Ravina, and Tyrrox made their way back into the monestery. After some discussion, the group decided to head to a library they'd found while searching the place. While Lily and Taryn spent some time learning about the history of the place and the saint for whom it was named, Kael, Tyrrox, and Ravina took one of the volumes recording who was interred into the catacombs and returned to them, trying to determine who might be buried in the far tomb. As they examined the grave sites, they heard growing whispers and something scraping against the stone drawing near...
- Standing over Lily as she climbed out of the blood pool was a massive stone giant, accusing her of the evil twisting the place. He called down magical fire upon her as well as the ghosts and bodies, banishing the corrupted spectres and sending Lily diving for cover.
- Ravina and Kael made their way back to the courtyard to see if they could find Lily. Taryn and Tyrrox were still upstairs in the abbot's chambers when his ghost appeared - unmoving and floating over his body slumped over his desk. They spoke to it and it answered, but they couldn't understand it. When it made no aggressive move, they looked at the dagger in his back, noting that it bore a symbol of Many Eyes, Many Teeth.
Back in the courtyard, Lily attempted to convince the giant that she and her friends were not responsible for the state of the place as he pressed his attacks - eventually convincing him to stop. After a final threat, he and the two other giants that arrived began burning the blood and bodies - turning the entire courtyard into an inferno.
- Once the fire burned out and the giants left, the group discussed what they had seen and tried to piece together what happened here. Making their way to the broken-down door leading into the catacombs beneath the monestary, Lily heard a voice echoing up from it: "The sacred ground has been broken, and now the living must return to it."
- The group made their way to the Gale-James Hotel and set about trying to figure out whether Plaskov was there and where he might be. They ended up running into Justin Mills - the medic from the previous night - and learned that he was actually after Plaskov too: not for the man himself, but for something he had apparently stolen. Some sort of tech his "clients" wished to recover.
- They'd figured out a likely floor, and after their discussion with Justin, decided they'd just go room-by-room, with a skeleton-keycard V had made from a room key lifted from one of the guests, until they found him. Sara's empathy gave them a clue, and they found Plaskov, apparently passed out drunk on his hotel bed. They bound him with ducttape and found the combination to the room safe. Inside was a bunch of cash, and the case Justin had been looking for, which he took and left.
- Not sure how they'd get Plaskov out of the hotel without raising a LOT of suspicion, they decided they'd tell their police contact where he was and just let them pick him up. While Sara was downstairs sending the message from the hotel's PostTerm, she saw Justin Mills have a brief exchange with another man as he was walking out - a man that happened to be one of the bikers from the night before - the one who'd shot Mario...
- As the voice echoed through the stone courtyard, red lightening began to arc from the floating ghost to several of the bodies, which seemingly spawned horrifically corrupted ghostly creatures which floated, oozed, and clawed their way toward them. Taryn, Ravina, and Tyrrox headed deeper into the settlement after Kael, who was following the trail of blood.
- In the uppermost room, the group found a sigil oozing blood and burning brightly on the wall. Its potency was so great that even looking at it was difficult and disorenting. With some guidance from Taryn, Tyrrox was able to enter the room and smash through it - disrupting its magic but producing powerful electrical discharges and a gush of blood.
- Meanwhile, Lily found herself in a room of complete darkness with a pair of voices asking her who she was and what she wanted. The voices spoke some form of ancient draconic and identified themselves as a "great serpent". They didn't get far in the conversation, howevern when she suddenly found herself submerged in blood. Swimming up and out, she found herself back in the (relative) bright light of the Saint Orvusk courtyard, with a booming voice demanding answers of her...
- The group continued away from the forest up into the mountains. As they approached the settlement, they began to discover signs of violence. When they reached the monestary, they found it littered with bodies.
- They noticed a pool of still-liquid blood standing in the area, with streams connecting to most of the bodies in a somewhat odd fashion. As they investigated, ghosts of some of the dead monks and townsfolk began to appear - obviously maddened.
- As the ghosts attacked, the party reacted. Ravina was able to turn several of the ghosts, and Tyrrox managed to obliterate another's manifested form. Kael set one of the bodies on fire, resulting in a ghost that burned with ghostly flame. Taryn discovered that by separating a body from the pool of blood, the ghosts would calm.
- Lily then attempted to dispel any magic on the blood, but when her spell completed, she vanished. Also convinced the trailing pool of blood was at the root of the "problem", Kael took off into the monestary, following the "trail" to see where it led.
- Back in the courtyard, Taryn, Ravina, and Tyrrox were still dealing with a couple of lingering ghosts when they heard a booming voice from above them...
- The group broke into an abandoned apartment building across from the bar to stake out and watch to see if their target return - and he does, very early in the morning, meeting some kind of medic.
- The group decided they'd go grab him, but they hadn't counted on a trio of bikers arriving, apparently after Plaskov as well. The insuing firefight left Mario, Kendra, and the bartender wounded, the bar shot up, and Plaskov chased out of the bar.
- When the group met up the next day, they decided to sneak back into the closed bar to see if anything left behind might point them toward their quarry. Here they finally had some good fortune: Plaskov's jacket. Inside they found a folded piece of stationery from the Gale-James Hotel with what looked like a product model number for something secretive produced by V's former employer...
|Friday July 26, 2019 at 8:00pm||new campaign, savage worlds, delcron 2282, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
System: Savage Worlds
Setting: Delcron City
Players: Sheri, Taylor, Dave, Stephen
Schedule: Every Few Fridays
This game was started on Stephen's suggestion, and Taylor and Dave were really interested in getting to play something. After some voting, we settled on a cyberpunk-style game using the Savage Worlds system. I'm using a portion of one of my homebrew settings for this game.
Template: The party are a group of friends who have been taking jobs as private investigators and bounty hunters for the last year or so, and it's proving lucrative - or, at least, more lucrative than their crappy jobs.
- Sara [Sheri] :: a medic and emergent Empath
- Mario [Dave] :: an asteroid miner and pub bouncer
- Kendra [Taylor] :: a mechanic who runs a junk shop
- "V" [Stephen] :: a hacker now wanted by his former employer
Opening Session Highlights:
The crew got a message from their contact at the DCPD about a possible job. When they met up with sgt. Askara Kyotu at the usual place (an abandoned pier in the Old Harbor district), they were told about an armored car holdup. Three attackers, one of whom apparently killed the other two and was injured and on the run. They'd ID'd the man as Marrion Plaskov, a corp-worker in his late 40s who'd been let go about 15 months previous. The PD had gotten a tip about a man matching the description at a place called "Hotwired 6" in the Neon district near Res II. Askara told them bringing him in would be worth 20k to them.
- The group went to the bar, which was crowded and loud. They looked and asked around a bit, eventually talking to a couple of thugs who subsequently attacked them in the street outside. After Kendra took a wrench to one of their heads and Sara paralyzed the other with indecision, they learned that the group's target had paid them to "take care of" anyone asking questions about him. The thug told them the man indicated he would be back to the bar, and then fled down a back alley.
- The group resupplied and headed out of Rolessi to the woodlands to the west using Ravina's Wind Walk spell.
- The Charothi Forest is old, thick and has a very heavy canopy, so they weren't able to see much from the air. When they caught sight of a wisp of grey smoke, the descended to investigate, finding a couple of humans breaking camp in the late morning.
- They spoke with the humans - Eddard and Frennel - for some time, and learned that they and two previous traveling companions had been attacked by orcs on their way to Velgrin.
- While they spoke, a number of fey creatures appeared - warning them of a darker threat to which the orcs are merely an overture...
- After camping for the night, the group made it back to Rolessi. Their plan was to see if they could find someone to implement a more permanent solution to the problem at Ver'Sheole and then find some way to move against the growing orc presense.
- Rolessi, however, seemed to be in a state of social and political turmoil. In general, much of the populace seemed to be a little on-edge. The PCs reports of orcs to the west had developed into all sorts of rumors, and several sudden assassinations had made many feel unsafe. The leaders of the city were apparently engaged in heated disagreements about whether the primary focus should be on internal or external problems.
- Lily and Taryn spoke with Lady Wyrra of house Dyn'Talor about the nature of the rift they'd found in the ruined keep and the anti-magic field that was currently containing it. She told them that her house would see what they might be able to learn and hypothesize about possible solutions, but that few would be as capable as they (the PCs) were in actually acting against the forces at work.
- The city had sent out several militia parties to investigate reports of problems in the region - and some had not returned. After some discussion, the group decided they would head to the remote settlement of Saint Orvusk, which had been cut off from outside contact for some weeks amid reports of unusual orc activity...
- Lily, Tyrrox, and Ravina were upstairs battling the hordes of demons rushing out of the previously-sealed room. They were managing to keep most from escaping, but some managed to push their way through.
- Trying to stay focused, Taryn dropped the key and headed deeper into the room - trying to get closer to the rift before triggering the anti-magic effect. He was unexpectedly pursued, however, by a pair of devils that suddenly appeared.
- Kael, meanwhile, played as though he accepted the hezrou's offer for aid in defeating the more powerful demon while he too maneuvered further into the room.
- Fighting broke out between the two most powerful demons in the room, but the most powerful demon present seemed intent only on tempting Kael - presenting him with powerful artifacts and an implicit promise of great power. Taryn, on the other hand, was struggling against the devils to get the orb out of his pack. Seeing Kael less harassed by enemies, he threw his pack to his friend. Kael caught the bag, which interrupted interaction with the demon. Within that brief moment of clarity, he pulled out the orb and shattered it.
- The resulting shockwave plunged the room into darkness as all magical and supernatural effects were extinguished. The group hurriedly withdrew, occasionally being buffeted by demons also escaping.
- Near the surface, they reached the edge of the anti-magic effect. Outside they found a dense magical fog and the distant sounds of battle. As Ravina cast a Wind Walk spell to aid in their flilght from the region, they caught site of the bronze dragon, still very angry at the intrusion...
- The Foxes had discovered that Muggs (the leader of the Stone Club) was going to be attending a particular hound race at Vreen's and made a plan to pull of their hit operation then and there. Fortune was with the PCs' crew this time, as Muggs conveniently separated himself from his attendant and bodyguard - a woman called Rellanna. While Drave tangled with her and everyone else was distracted by the manifesting form of a horrific spectral ogre, Erik was able to move in for the kill.
- This turned out ot be Erik's last operation, however - the scoundrel's life had taken its toll on the man, unhinging him a little. His companions decided they'd turn him in to take the fall for the crew to clear some heat on them.
- While their leader is dead, the Stone Club is by no means defeated. They're undoubtedly planning a counterstrike, and foxes will need to press their advantage if they're going to make this strike really count...
- After some discussion and further study of Lily's map, the group decided to explore another possible entrance to the dungeon vaults: a secret passage that seemed to originate from another building. After finding that route impassable, they resigned themselves to the "main" entrance and decided to rest for the night. Passing through the streets again the next morning, they found them thick with an unnatural fog and could hear the sounds of some commotion in the distance - at least some of which was certainly the dragon.
- The plan for the dungeon vaults was this: they would break the seal and fight off the demons just long enough for someone to get near the rift and shatter their anti-magic orb (an object they'd picked up back in the horde of the dragon they'd fought in Velgrin) - believing that rift to be the source of the "wrongness" and hoping that the anti-magic field would seal it up at least for a while. They would then do their best to flee on foot until they escaped the magic-void area and could use spells and magical equipment to enhance their escape - hopefully avoding the dragon. They would then return to civilization and tell others what they'd found and what they'd done, and advise them that they had no way of knowing how temporary or permanent their "solution" might be.
- The warding seal on the vaults seemed ready to give and it collapsed immediately on contact with Lily's Dispel Magic spell. The door itself unexpectedly disintegrated, and demons began pouring out - though most seemed more interested in escape than combat. While Lily, Tyrrox, and Ravina fought with the fleeing hordes, Kael and Taryn fought their way down to the dungeons below. There, Taryn found himself with a familiar red key and a mental nudge toward the malfunctioning portal, and Kael was addressed by a Hezrou telling him he would need its help to destroy the Glabrezu now approaching them...
|Thursday May 23, 2019 at 8:30pm||new campaign, battletech, capellan march, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
For a variety of reasons we decided we'd start a new Battletech campaign rather than continuing Aralakh. We spent a session making new characters with some slightly different rules. The new gang will be a Davion-aligned merc unit operating somewhere near around the midpoint of the Capellan march.
- Though they could still hear the pounding of the dragon above them, the group decided Lily should cast her Legend Lore spell to learn more about the place they've found themselves in. In so doing, they learned that the deep interior of this keep was once the lair of Lochthuun, the legendary hydra, and that its death apparently tore open a rift into the lower planes which was the origin of the contaminating evil of the region.
- Deciding they needed to see what was actually going on in the dungeons below, Kael activated the ethereal ability of his armor and passed through the door. On the other side, he found several dozen demons, a malfunctioning portal, and the abyssal rift floating above the perfectly-preserved body of a massive hydra. The group now needs to decide what to do about the situation to prevent the situation from worsening and to keep the cult from abusing it...
- As the Mafka zealots launched their attack and the roaring creatured bellowed from outside, Ravina began her spell to de-petrify the goblin leader. As the creature's warnings grew closer and more angry, the zealots retreated. Ravina completed her spell and managed to restore the goblin chief to life, though he was not too happy to see his saviors. As the building shook, they all moved further into the structure away from whatever was outside.
- The goblin chief stopped his aggression against the group, but insisted they part ways. At Lily's convincing, he indicated the way toward what the goblins called the "Deep Evil" - which was down in the lower dungeons and vaults of the keep. They made their way down, hearing the furious pounding overhead, and found a sealed door bearing an evil, pulsing rune...
- The group awoke to find themselves surrounded by goblins. They were approached by one of them - Tofkag - who turned out to be the leader of one splinter of a local tribe. In exchange for their help in de-petrifying their leader, they told the PCs they would lead them to the keep by ways that would avoid the more hostile goblin factions. They spoke with Tofkag for some time about his tribe, the keep, and the "Deep Evil" he said dwelled beneath it.
- Making it to the keep the following day, they made their way into the ruin. Within the CourtHall of the primary tower, they found the statue of the former leader of the goblin tribe - as well as some of the Mafka zealots Tofkag had warned them about. The altercation was only beginning when the building was shaken by a tremendous roar from overhead...
- After a considerable conversation, the rest of the party managed to convince Taryn that going after the Orb was too dangerous and put the rest of their mssion in jeaopardy - though Tyrrox tended to think they could defeat the goblns.
- The group continued northward to the Navlin forest - a cool, pine-covered region leading into the foothills of the Elmhine mountains. Inside they found the slaughter of a village of some kind of humanoid mushroom race and had a run-in with some territorial canine humanoids. Deeper still, they found that the forest was corrupted and diseased, and they began encountering bloated, corrupted, undead, and unusually aggressve animals.
- On the far side of the forest, the group located the old elven road up into the mountains that would take them to Ver'Sheole. As they climbed, they found evidence of several recently-used humanoid camp sites and even caught site of someone else on the road.
- Near the top, as they pressed on into the night, the group was ambushed by a goblin warband, which they managed to fight off.
GM's Note: This session had two pretty serious combat encounters, and I was very entertained by how much terrain factored into both of them, as well as the previous river-ambush encounter. We also did an interesting encounter-setup-contest between the PCs and the opposing force for one of them to determine who started with the high ground and prep time.
|Thursday April 25, 2019 at 8:45pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Erik met up with his "friend" from their smuggling run at the Maple Grey in Silkshore and got an easy job offer. Drave stumbled back into the Foxes' turf, but was acosted by the Bluecoats on the way in. He tried to turn their attention to the Stone Club, but was only partially successful. A few nights later, their tinker friend Lerrin found them at the Three Pennies to tell them that the Club was making problems in Fenwell Hook again.
- The gang spent some time discussing their options and gathering some info on their rival gang. They were able to track down the Stone Club's HQ, as well as some that their leader Muggs has made a recent habit of betting on the hounds down at Vreen's races in Nightmarket. The time has come to strike - and they're looking to cut the head off the snake...
- The group fought with the goblins on the high bank and the monstrous elder water elemental that had appeared in their midst. The tactical advantage the goblins had proved to be very effectve, and the tide of the combat didn't turn until Taryn pulled out his orb and used its powerful breath weapon.
- It was then that the sole surviving goblin in its area - a spellcaster of some apparent power - took notice. Using a potent stunning spell, he froze Taryn, took the orb from his hands, and disappeared into the grasslands before any of the others were aware of what had happened.
- Now deprived of his second source of power, when he came to the panicked Taryn insisted that they follow the thief. Kael quickly found that the trail suddenly vanished a few hundred feet from the site of the encounter, however. The group interrogated one of the subdued goblins and found that the spellcaster, called Akrisk, had taken over their tribe some months ago - though he couldn't tell them much about his abilities. After releasng him, the group tailed him back to his warren - Ravina's divination having suggested this would be the best way to recover the artifact. There they found a large triibe inhabiting a cavernous hollow in the ground in a small, hilly region of the grasslands...
GM's Note: Ever since Taryn had found that Orb of Dragonkind and I ruled it had actually be held for some of ts abilities to be used, I have been mindful every time he uses it. Sooner or later, I knew that something smart enough to recogniize its power would take interest and try to deprive him of it. As this particular NPC spellcaster was very powerful, I knew if he saw it, he would make a play for it - and I'd given him a couple of spells that would give him a shot. Even so, several things had to go just right for him to be able to pull it off - and I didn't expect it to actually work. So now the players are on a little detour from their time-sensitive misson, and they're having interesting coversations about how and whether to try to get it back.
- Lily had a conversation with the innkeeper Helia, giving her a few more details than they'd told most of the townsfolk. She also asked if anyone unusual had been through town, and after talking to a local farmer, they discovered that someone matchng the description of the missing Aegus Rothan had been seen several months ago.
- Using some magic from Ravina and Kael's sense of direction, the group headed north toward the Navlin Forest and the road into the Elmhine Mountains that would lead them to the abandoned Ver'Sheole keep. The river, however, kept pushing them further west, and they eventually decided to cross at a ford, where they found themselves ambushed by goblins...
- As the group left the library, they found a young elven woman weeping at a run-down shrine originally devoted to Corellon Larethian. As Lily engaged in conversation with her, it became increasingly clear that something was wrong with her. The woman became increasingly agitated, and apparently reached a breaking point when an unearthly shriek came out of her. The sound was loud enough to vibrate the surrounding structures - and attract the attention of the bebilith that had entered the Courthall.
- Lily attempted to ignite the webs the spider-demon had constructed across the street, but found that they would not burn well. The party had just begun hacking their way through when the spider burst through the large, half-open doors of the building. Kael fired arrows and Lily summoned a celestial creature to distract the monster as they made their escape.
- Back in town, the group rested at the inn and told the townsfolk some of what they found at the keep on the hill. Most were troubled at the news, but few seemed surprised. Taryn had another chat with a strange but familiar swordsman, and Lily also was visited by a strange old woman whom she later decided must have been the hag she and her friends had encountered when the first arrived in the region. Apparently she came to tell them that orcs were massing in the western corners of the area, organized by something claiming an eye/tooth symbol...
This game has been going for a while, and I found it very satisfying to (finally) get to bring in a hook from all the way back at the start of the campaign. This narrative thread was so old that we've added 2 players to the group since it was on-screen. When the PCs had spared this hag and saved her "pet" hydra, she told them she would not forget their kindness - and has now made good on that by alerting them to a growing problem they otherwise had no way of knowing about.
- Though wearing down quickly, the group continued the fight against the demons until their leader noticed the monstrous demonic spider trying to gain entry to the hall - at which point it fled and its remaining lackies went with it.
- After taking a moment to regain their strength, the party decided they would make a search of this main structure of the keep. Its upper floors contained the bodies of quite a few dead demons, the most of which were piled before the door of a small study. Having discovered there was someone inside, they had a brief conversation through the locked door before he vanished. It wasn't until later that Lily realized who it was: Aulthust, the marked man.
- The group picked the lock and searched through the room, finding that the man was apparently concerned with books on elven lore and history and something pertaining to a dwarven settlement - and they learned a few tidbits from the open books they found and decided they would head to the keep's library. There they found more info about the keep they're heading to - Ver'Sheole - and saw more evidence of Aulthust's search for information on a place called Ur'Galek...
- Unable to trace the tattooed man (suspecting he was an illusion) and aware that demons in the streets around them were closing in, they made the decision to smash their way through a window of the large, central building.
- Once in position, Tyrrox shattered the glass and metal of the window and everyone scrambled up and through it. Though their efforts were well coordinated, they soon found themselves under attack and pressed between a gang of demons from inside the building, and the monstrous, demonic spider from outside...
|Saturday March 16, 2019 at 5:00pm||no thank you evil, towing hobgoblins, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The Inspector directed the Pirate Olivia and her Pretty Pony to take the hobgoblins they'd captured to Lucy Lawful in Out The Window.
- On the way to the Crossroads, they saved Edwin Bear from a gang of Fluff Spiders.
- They encountered That Imp at the Crossroads, but they managed to get past him by convincing him that his demanded toll of three Unicorn Feathers didn't make any sense.
- Once through the Crossroads and into Out The Window, they searched the crowded city streets for Lucy Lawful's office. Just when they found it, however, a wave of Bobgoblins swept them into Nortorious Inc. where Olivia found herself locked in a filing room...
- The party gathered themselves together and made their way deeper into the keep. They found the central building structure - likely the lord's manor and court they were seeking. Between them and the entrance, however, was a great deal of webbing they believed was probably from the massive demonic spider Lily had seen earlier. From the attic of a nearby tavern, they were able to get a slighly better view of the area. They were deciding whether to go through the webs, traverse the rooftops over them, or smash their way through one of the high windows when they caught sight of someone moving in the abandoned city: a tall man with a curling tattoo of a two-headed dragon on his face...
- The group was continuing its struggle against the Gelugon and its Bone Devil minions when a small horde of Babau demons were alerted to the situation. Taryn had managed to distract and anger the ice fiend - which was both good and bad. As the Babau rushed in, the Gelugon once more blasted the entire area with a wave of frost, further wearing down the already-battered PCs and the demons alike. The PCs collectively decided to let the mortal enemy fiends take out each other while they disengaged.
- Unfortunately, the injured Kael found himself pinned down against one of the buildings in the street as the fight between the outsiders raged around him. Taking aim at the Gelugon's head, fortune smiled on the desperate ranger - giving him a perfect shot that felled the devil. As it exploded into shards of ice, the Babau horde chased after the remaining Bone Devils, leaving the PCs alone on the frozen streets...
- As the group proceeded deeper into the fort, Kael found a town-square area that contained a fountain - all of it frozen over with a thick layer of ice. The bodies of dozens of devils and other monstrous humanoid creatures littered the ground. There was a sudden tremor and a red, electric glow "awakened" the ice devil lying in a far corner, which then summoned several more fiends to its aid.
- The group struggled to reunite and coordinate its efforts against this threat, but a building collapse resulted in something of a bottleneck in the street. Ravina was KO'd attempting to keep the creature from concentrating its attacks on the injured Kael, Lily is having some difficulty getting into position, and Tyrrox has been tied up with a pair of bone devils. The gelugon has proved itself a formidable opponent, and while the acid breath from Taryn's orb was effective, the ice devil returned in kind with a blast of frigid air...
The battle continues...
|Thursday January 17, 2019 at 8:30pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Fortune was not on the side of our scoundrels tonight, which meant that all of their successes came with a lot more strings attached.
- The pair found out which door had been repainted recently from a man hanging out on a balcony in the backpool, but only after Erik agreed to take him out for a drink the following evening and the manifesting ghost echoes prompted them to act on this information immediately.
- Once inside, the crew met the man called Thad they'd been told about - some Iruvian hawker from a gang called the Incense Collective. Turns out the gang that Tellis used to run with indirectly caused some problems for Thad's organization, and that was going to dent the profitability of any deal to be made. By this time, Boros and Erik were so worn down that they just wanted to take what they could get and be done with it.
- The gang ended up with some impressive coin, but it was only a fraction of what their stolen loot was worth. To top it off, Thad only agreed to the deal at all if they promised him a favor, but they had to get something out of this and they knew their bargaining position was slipping by the second.
- Looks like the Foxes are going to be breaking into a Bluecoat watch station to destroy some incriminating evidence - but first, they've got to do something on their own turf about the Stone Club...
- With armor all but completely blasted away from both sides, each hit began to have a real impact. While Aralakh and the attackers both took quite a bit of critical damage in recent exchanges, the key turning point came when the newly-arrived reinforcements managed to take the 95-ton Banshee out of the fight.
- After fighting off the orcs, the group stayed the night at the Darkpine Inn as local celebrities. The next day they made their way into the pine forest and up to the sealed keep. The forest was unnaturally dark, devoid of animal life, and host to shadowy beings that lingered just at the edge of their perception.
- Upon arriving at the keep's walls, they found that the doors of the gate had been broken but wedged back in place, and that something had gouged abyssal words into the stone wall. Lily was able to read the writing, but when she tried to tell Kael what it said, something began to affect her mind or perception. Believing him to be a threat, Lily attacked Kael - stabbing him with her sword. As the others attempted to discern what was happening and talk her down, she appeared more and more disconnected from the present situation. An enchantment-breaking spell from Ravina eventually returned her completely to them.
- Meanwhile, Taryn had found a way into the keep. Climbing a tree that had fallen against the wall, the group was able to easily bypass the gate and the 15' wall it was set in. Once inside, they found the streets littered with half-completed statues of people (which they suspect may be victims of some unusual petrification effect) and the dead bodies of several devils. The only living thing they encountered was a senile old woman who didn't seem to know much about what was going on.
- After the old woman wandered off, the group decided to press further in, searching for the lord's manor...
|Thursday December 20, 2018 at 9:15pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The other boatman turned out to be an opportunist called Tellis looking for a way to make some coin with his info. He gave them some instructions and the name of a likely buyer for the goods they'd just pulled out of the canal.
- The crew decided to jump on the opportunity immediately - both to unload their hot cargo asap, and because they really need the coin to finance their other efforts.
- Making their way to Silkshore, they made contact with the Bluecoat Lannerhand and got access to the backpool - but the blue door they were supposed to find is nowhere to be seen...
- Having lost their heavies, Aralakh found itselve in a seriously-out-gunned 2-on-4 match. They spent a couple of rounds in defensive maneuvering before getting word that half of Garret's Bluesabres lance was coming in to assist them.
- The arrival of the Clint and Orion didn't exactly even the playing field, but it did add significant strength to their previously-desperate position. Even so, they had poor fortune overall in trying to inflict significant damage on their foes...
- The party continued to engage them undead leaders as the orc horde descended upon the village. Some well-placed blows, a summoning spell, entangling vegetation, and a breath weapon kept the raiders from reaching the town and sent them fleeing back into the wilderness.
- After the battle, Taryn once again noticed a strange flash in the dragon orb he had been carrying - it was accompanied this time by a voice and a summons. What he found when he answered was a sort of meeting place for the current owners of the orbs - though this was not at all to say they were "friends".
- One of the villagers did give them a bit more info about the keep - but mostly they weren't sure what was going on. The keep had suddenly ceased opening its gates and no human sounds are heard coming from within. The darkness that has settled upon the pine forest has kept most of the villagers away from it.
- As the party continued more earnestly engaged the raiders, they found the two lead orcs to be a considerable challenge. By the time the rest of the band was reaching the village, only one of the wolves had been killed. Lily sent a sonic bolt through the remaining wolf and its orc rider. The stroke felled the latter, but then that a strange, red static seemed to pull it back up from the ground, it's eyes glowing bright as arcs of brilliant red electricity shot between the tall spires of the keep on the hill behind them...
- The group was talking a bit more with the locals - trying to get a feel for the village and whatever is going on there - when they suddenly found themselves under attack by some raiding orcs from the plains to the west, and by shadows from the pine forest at the edge of town...
- Having discussed their next move, the party made plans to seek out the keep called Ver'Sheole: if Many Eyes, Many Teeth had interest in the location, they wanted to reach it before the cult did.
- They consulted with Tyless Vallane again about what the House Vallane Adventurers' Guild knew about Ver'Sheole, which, unfortunately, wasn't much. It was an elven keep located in a pass up in the Elmhine Mountains that has long been abandoned. An old "road" leading up and out of the Navlin Forest should take you to the keep if you can find it.
- Tyless was a bit more help in planning their route, however, knowing more about the Reaches than any in the party. He told them the fastest way would likely be to go north through the town of Blosam and then east to the Navlin Forest and the mountains, but, he said, if they took a slightly longer route through Fort Kelsguard, they might be able to find useful information in its library. Feeling like they might need more info to find the place, they opted for the latter option.
- On the way to Kelsguard, the party found the remains of a wagon and the bodies of two men apparently attacked by orcs. Tyrrox happened to notice a letter among the tattered clothing of one of the men - it was addressed to the constable at Rolessi and detailed a call for help from Fort Kelsguard, saying that the keep had cut itself off from the village outside and that they suspected their paranoid ruler had finally gone mad.
- They arrived at the village of Kelsguard just after dusk and made their way to the only establishment that seemed to contain any activity - a reasonably-sized inn called Darkpine run by a somewhat cantankerous woman by the name of Helia Twill. Lily did a good job of presenting the party to the suspicious strangers in the best possible light, but while Helia did tell them that something was certainly wrong, she refused to go into any detail. Instead, she told them that if they wanted to find out what was going on, they needed to go to the keep and look for themselves...
- Tyrrox brought the nearly-unconscious Eliot Jaand to the watch-captain Wencia, who was sure that he'd been drugged. She asked Tyrrox some questions about the situation and was alarmed at the mention of demons.
- Taryn caught up with the woman in the purple dress talking in an alcove with a dwarf. He heard parts of their conversation, including mention of Malefes, some sort of deal, and an elven keep in the eastern mountains called Ver'Sheole. Tyless Vallane later brought up this name again, and wondered if it was another designation for the same keep Taryn had been researching.
- Lilly spoke to Lord Magnar about the magical mark on the floor of the hall, which turned out to be the symbol of Many Eyes, Many Teeth. She suspected a woman in a yellow dress as the source of the mark, and was able to learn that she seemed to be connected to lesser-noble house of Nevarg.
- Fredrick Thullus of the Reaches Arms approached Taryn, Tyrrox, and Kebrand Brightwinter about some help the House Vallane Adventurers' Guild could be to him. Apparently a contact of his at House Briglau in Igveston had news of increased orc activity and an intentional rock-slide bearing the eye-tooth mark.
|Thursday November 15, 2018 at 8:30pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The Foxes regrouped after their last score, but they know clocks are ticking on some outstanding "problems".
- Borrick - the leader of the local Bluecoat patrol - cornered Erik in the Three Pennies, threatening to run him in. The scoundrels managed to dodge Ironhook for the time being by promising a future favor.
- The Foxes' gang returned with news about a ditched smugglers' shipment in one of the Coalridge canals. Needing coin for their plans and figuring the shipment must be worth something, they decided to jump on the opportunity.
- They "acquired" a boat from a local fisherman and went to the place the gang had described. Due to some good fortune they managed to locate and recover both small metal crates with relatively little consquence, but before they could vacate the area, another boat came up the canal. They made like they were simple fishermen, but the inquiry "So how's the fishing tonight?" called from the other watercraft didn't sound completely sincere...
- As Lily was beginning her performance, Taryn found his way into the library where he spotted a woman in a dark purple dress apparently stealing a book from the library. He did his best to apprehend her, but some confusion with the guards and some subtle magic allowed her to slip away and he lost her in the crowds outside.
- Lily noticed some unusual activity from the stage involving a woman in a bright yellow dress, who was apparently leaving the party as she was finishing her set with Julius Nevarg. As they neared the exist, she saw a young woman in a dark purple dress approach and hand her something. She also saw Taryn apparently searching urgently for someone or something - and he was a cloaked in shadow, meaning he had activated one of his more potent magic items.
- Meanwhile, a fight broke out near Tyrrox between a dwarf and a drunk, and he spotted two men escorting an apparently-drunk guardsman out of the hall. When he approached he was able to see the that guard was more dazed than drunk and so intervened. The two men made it into the hall outside before Tyrrox caught up with them and, when pressed, revealed themselves to be quasits and flew away - causing a small amount of commotion with the nearby guards.
- After spotting some strange marks appearing on the floor, Kael - who'd previously been enjoying the evening with Gella Barens (a young noblewoman he'd met in Igveston) - began to get a hunch that something was wrong. He met up with Lily as they approached the Balcony where Taryn was scanning the room for his quarry...
- Aralakh's good fortune couldn't last, perhaps because it was too good. Now realizing his opponents were a significant threat, the Marauder began to check his overconfidence and think more tactically. Though he'd been hunting the Phoenix Hawk, its defensive maneuvering began presenting him with more ideal shots against the Crusader and the Warhammer which he no longer blindly ignored. This change in tactics from their most dangerous opponent - combined with gravity and some bad fortune - resulted in the loss of both units over the subsequent exchanges.
- Their primary heavy units now disabled and the Phoenix Hawk starting to show some wear, Aralakh's position is beginning to look more desperate. Hopefully reinforcements will arrive soon...
- After a rough initial contact, Aralakh's forces began to rally. A few decisive rounds exploited their dangerous enemies' poor fortune and lack of effective coordination. As the result of concentrated fire, the Banshee has lost its AC/5 and a signficant quantity of armor while the Marauder's left arm PPC has been destroyed.
- These scores didn't come freely, however, as the Banshee repeatedly pummeled the Crusader with its powerful fists, and the Phoenix Hawk is starting to show some wear as well. Still, the tables have drastically turned in Aralakh's favor and an engagement that was starting to look desperate looks much more promising.
[Keara] Ravina - Dwarven cleric of Moradin
- Six months after the attack at the Festival of Thorns, the PCs find themselves invited to the Magnar City Social - a yearly gathering of the nobility and honored guests - for their efforts in stopping the rampaging beast and the subsequent investigations into the activity of the cult known as Many Eyes, Many Teeth.
- Lily and Tyrrox were greeted as local celebrities, Ravina chatted about her home city with a dwarven jeweler called Pierless Gray, Kael ran into an old friend, and Taryn spoke with some of Dyn'Talor's court, a man concerned with Magnar's defense of the city, and Tyless Vallane, who told him a particular book Taryn was looking for might be found in the Magnars' library.
|Thursday September 27, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group was able to ward off the attacking predators with Naran's daylight abilities, directed by Piper's artifact which had tuned in to their dimensional energy signature.
- Continuing on, they eventually left the fern-encrusted tunnel, finding their way along catwalks suspended in nothingness to a vault that had been torn open from the inside. 6 massive tentacles protruted from it in different directions, and within it was a swirling vortex of black smoke.
- Once they moved into position, Naran used the artifact Piper had made to amplify her cutting light abilities to sear away the darkness - but each time she did so, she became weaker. The others fought off the flock of bat-like shadows that began streaming from it, and they all did their best to dodge the great tentacles which reeled themselves in and began grasping at the intruders.
- As the blackness was cleared, they were able to catch a glimpse of the interior of the vault - where they saw the source of the living void: an open book. When the last of the blackness was burned away, the book lay inert on the vault floor - the faintest wisp of black smoke issuing from its pages.
- The void intrusion now disrupted, the group suddenly found themselves in some sort of control room amdist blaring alarms, frantic error displays, and components and terminals which were burning out and arcing eletricity - the system was overloading. Against all odds, Piper, Naran, and Ronin managed to manipulate the system to bleed off the excess power and return it to a relatively stable condition.
- The group made their way back to the surface, where they found Polious looking somewhat relieved. The Weathervane had stabilized - and, even better, was now operating at about 85% of ideal output - a marked improvement from the unstable 30-50% they'd been getting previously. While its days were still numbered, he was optimistic that they would have at least another 5 years to prepare for its ultimate failure.
END OF CHAPTER 1
GM's Note: Chapter 1. This is chapter 1. And it took us two years and 62 sessions to get through. I think the reasons for the long timeline were a combination of having the party split for so long, having short 1.5 - 2.5 hr game sessions, and that there is just SO MUCH to explore in the Ninth World and beyond. Also, our group tends to "take the long way". Don't get me wrong, the campaign has been a blast, but they have only scratched the surface. For now, however, we're going to set this one aside and play some other things. On our return, my plan for Chapter 2 is to advance the timeline a significant distance into the future: the players will construct a new generation of explorers set to build on the discoveries this group has made.
|Tuesday September 25, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Piper headed back to town, where they found that the ruin surrounding their settlement seemed to have "energized" in some way. Polious was reporting that output levels for the Weathervane were averaging around 120% - up from about the 30-40% of the preceding weeks - but that the system was increasingly unstable.
- Piper resumed work on the devices the group needed to address the problem and was able to finish them over the next several hours.
- Ronin, Ganthet, and Helios made their way through the night back to Arable, having a brief encounter with a strange, hovering eye covered in voluminous robes. It seemed to have "left" something for them - a component that turned out to be *exactly* what Piper needed to finish the devices she was working on.
- After resting up, the group headed once more into the corridors below the Weathervane - searching for the epicenter of the dimensional-void they had been encountering. Using the 'detector' Piper had made, they found their way deep into the ruin, through large sections that seemed to be "missing", and ultimately onto a long, twisting set of catwalks extending out into seeming nothingness.
- Eventually, the pathway led them to a large spherical chamber - from the outside closely resembling the control room they had just scavenged in the B Dome - but the inside was covered in luminous purple ferns. As they made their way through it, Ronin began to suspect that they were being watched - just before they found themselves under attack by shadowy beast that seemed to materialize from a cloud of black smoke...
|Thursday September 20, 2018 at 8:30pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (2) »|
- The Foxes were given a job offer to steal a set of paints from an artist in Charterhall that had been illegally infused with spirit essences. It promised to be an easy score with a decent payout and since they were needing some cash quickly to get what they needed to stay ahead of the Stone Club, they took it.
- The target was located in the old Charter Wall community, and Erik and Boros quickly encountered a Bluecoat presence, intoxicated citizens, and a level of midnight activity they weren't used to in Six Towers.
- They broke into the artist's studio and were rummaging around when they began to encounter spiritual activity. As one of the paintings began to wail and distraught ghosts began manifesting, Erik grabbed a couple of the paints and took off in a near-panic. Boros steeled himself enough to grab a couple others as well as the howling artwork before making his getaway.
- The two were successful in their mission, but they were seen clearly by one of the local Bluecoats, a drunk, and Crenoll - the artist they robbed.
|Tuesday September 18, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- As Piper pried the last of the needed components from the machinery, the system's stability reached a tipping point. The pulsing blue lights in the sphere above them turned a dark red and alarms began to sound. As they made their way back to the hatchway, several spherical maintenance automatons activated, though only one seemed to be functioning correctly.
- Outside, Ganthet and Helios confronted the many-mouthed being. Before any real fighting began, however, it was distracted by another of its kind that had targeted Ronin. As the two creatures argued and fought, the three of them withdrew, rejoining their friends, and all of them hurried toward the exit to the sphere - which was now full of flashing red lights and vibrating intensely.
- Once back at the entrance, Ronin, Ganthet, and Helios used their own abilities to descend from the sphere while Naran teleported herself and Piper directly back to Arable - or, close to it. They arrived a few miles south of town at Aglarion's watchtower. They were close enough, however, to see the stormclouds gathering to the south, the tribe of brutish abhumans approaching from that direction, and the billowing plume of smoke rising from beneath the southeast side of Arable - which had now pulled itself about 50 feet up and out of the ground...
- Aralakh continued their fight against the FWL attackers, but fortune seemed to be against them. Rip's Crusader nearly had its cockpit bashed in by the 95-ton Banshee, and Drevan's Warhammer has been so battered and shot-up that it has only a single medium laser remaining. The company has managed to return some of the damage they've received, and while they've burned off a good chunk of armor, they haven't managed to inflict any real damage on their opponents.
- Orion's Assassin is virtually untouched but Aralakh's biggest ace is the lostech Phoenix Hawk, which is also still in good shape. Will it be enough to turn the tide? And how is the rest of the planetary defense shaking out?
|Tuesday September 4, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper and Helios fought off the sathosh, though some sort of smoke cypher nearly killed Piper - Ronin was able to save her by sacrificing one of the artifacts they'd taken from the abhumans.
- Meanwhile, Naran found some sort of access terminal and was able not only to stop the deafening noise, but also learn something about the ruin they were in and where they might be able to find the components they were seeking.
- The group reunited, and Naran led them deeper into the structure toward something she'd seen in the readouts labeled as an environmental processor - it would likely have the sensors they needed.
- Finding their way to that region proved difficult, however, as broken corridors and other obstructions blocked what should have been open pathways. They found themselves in a cavernous space that had been overgrown by mushroom-like fungus. Within this area, they found the entrance to the chamber they were seeking: a hatchway in the top of what seemed to be a 100' sphere.
- As Naran and Piper climbed inside and began cannibalizing what they could from the machinery within - being careful not to disrupt any systems that would prove hazardous - Ganthet, Helios, and Ronin found a humanoid bat-creature that had been captured. As they freed it, they were interrupted by a strange, skulking humanoid with a head covered in mouths...
- Having altered their contract by doubling their pay, the Lysidas Barony secured Aralakh's services to help repel the coming planetary assault. Deciding they would meet the FWL forces on the plains to the northwest, the company set up their defenses.
- Aralakh's primary lance met the spearhead lance of the assault: a Vindicator, Dragon, and Banshee led by the defected Marauder pilot they'd previously encountered. All of them skilled mechwarriors, the skirmish promised to get brutal very quickly.
- The forces traded missles and long-range potshots as they closed. The first real exchange chewed off some armor from the Vindicator and dented the Maruader a little, but it was the second salvo that proved more significant: a face-off between the Warhammer and the Marauder. Drevan led with a lucky PPC headshot that almost destroyed his foe, but the Maruader came back with a series of strikes that pounded through its right torso, destroying his SRM/6 and its ammo bin. A split-second premonition before the hit prompted Drevan to dump the missiles, keeping his unit from being ripped apart from the inside only moments after initial contact...
|Monday August 27, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group returned once more to the "B Dome" - this time with Piper - in order to find components she needs to complete the the devices they require to help them address the blackness plaguing Arable.
- They encountered some sathosh on the way, including one particularly unusual individual in white, robe-like garb and weilding obvious numenera. With the help of a hologram their presence seemed to have triggered, Piper and Helios found their way up into some sort of control chamber...
|Friday August 24, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ganthet, Ronin, Naran, and Helios traveled north to the "B dome", now revealed to be a 1400' sphere and hovering about 200' above the landscape. They found a collapsed crater beneath the floating orb containing some remnants of the metal sphere and a partially-crushed burned stonework structure - as well as the entrance to an underground sathosh lair. Unsure of a good way to reach the sphere above and unintentionally attacting the sathosh's attention, they decided to return to Arable.
- Piper continued working on her new devices, and Naran and Helios were finally able to nail down the exact capabilities and limitations of Naran's teleportation ability: to be reliable, the starting point and the destination must be located in direct sunlight otherwise the jump would always be off - sometimes a little, sometimes a lot
- Piper eventually came to the conclusion that to create the necessary artifacts, she would need some specialized components she didn't have - and the most likely place to find them would be the B Dome...
|Thursday August 23, 2018 at 8:30pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Having acquired a few more members - a gang of Rooks and a cutter called Boros - the Foxes decided their next move would be to kick the Stone Club out of Fenwell Hook. They'd had their eye on this territory for some time, and their contact that lived there was getting increasingly impatient.
- Their efforts to gather information about the area yeilded mixed results and they were unable to pin down exactly where and when the Stone Club appeared and/or what they did in the area. They ultimately decided their approach would be an ambush-style assault: they'd jump the gang when they came to harass Lerrin again.
- The Foxes set up a concealed position outside Lerrin's shop and waited for the gang to appear. When they did, the engagement quickly went sideways - it seems that someone may have tipped off the Club to someone else operating in their area.
- The resulting skirmish was brief and bloody, though it resulted in no immediate deaths on either side. Though their gang broke and ran off and Borors and Erik took a great deal of injury and stress, they were ultimately able to beat down and run off the part of the Stone Club gang that operated in Fenwell, claiming that turf for their own.
- Now at-war with the Stone Club and under the eyes of the Bluecoats, the Foxes found themselves in a tight spot. They had the good fortune to meet up with a Leech who helped patch them up, but their gang hasn't been seen since the street fight. Worse yet, they're down to their last few coins. The crew needs some easy cash - and soon...
|Friday August 17, 2018 at 9:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Flashback: About 24 hours after their return from the margr encampment, Drakald organized a search party to go look for Tala and Kelon, who still had not return. What remained of the encampment was a bloody mess of dead margr and scavenger beats. It took a couple hours of searching, but they eventually found the bodies of both of their friends. Upon return to Arable, a funeral for the lost was arranged. Even with the return of Naran and Helios, the spirits of the town were depressed for a y several days - lifted somewhat when Piper arrived.
- The group spent some time discussing Polious' concerns. Despite the Aeon Priest's feeling that the device was doomed, they beleived that if they could remove the void influence from the Weathervane, it might recover enough to be stabilized. They did some experiments on the puddle-like protrusions finding that bright light seemed to boil it away. With the help of a cypher, Ronin was able to look "inside" one of the puddles, to find a swirling vortext of shadow leading deep into the earth.
- Ideas for how to remove the void were difficult in coming, but the group eventually decided their best bet was to somehow amplify Naran's light ability and direct it at the "heart" of the void, somewhere deep within the ruin beneath tham. Piper set about trying to make a some devices (one to enhance Naran's light ability, and one to detect the source of the void intrusion), Naran spent some time studying the strange portal books they'd found on their journeys, and Ganthet, Ronin, and Helios discussed a venture up to the now-floating B Dome...
- With the Marauder's arrival, Aralakh's recon lance now found itself severely outgunned. Needing to drop some heat, Steiner maneuvered his Blackjack around some rock formations to avoid line-of-site to the big guns. Unfortunately, this left Riley and the Hatchetman totally exposed and the only viable target for the Marauder as well as the Vindicator. The 45-ton 'mech could normally survive a round or two of that sort of barrage, but one of the Marauder's PPCs landed a direct hit on the unit's head, totally destroying it.
- Instantly down another unit and believing Riley to have been killed, Steiner gave the order to retreat. The Marauder's pilot demonstrated impressive skill by continuing to score solid hits against the fleeing units, but the remaining three were able to escape with their info.
- Meanwhile, Rip and Toulonne visited the small, run-down port town of Urngen. There they noted some FWL sympathies and a certain hesitance by the locals to engage certain topics of conversation: the two eventually determined that sections of the town showed signs of 'mech presence and damage, but no one was talking about it. As they left the town to drive back to Lysida City, they could see the tell-tale thruster glow of a pair of dropships descending to the south...
|Saturday August 11, 2018 at 10:00am||no thank you evil, fear factory, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Pirate Hannah and her little sister Olivia get a call for help from The Inspector. He had too many cases and needed someone capable to take over one or two of them. Hannah took a look at the wall and grabbed the 'Wanted' poster. A pair of Hobgoblins had stolen a bag full of coins from Big Bucks Bank and were hiding out in the Fear Factory.
- On the way to the Factory, they met a goblin salesman who tried to get them to buy a few things, but he didn't seem to have anything they wanted. The lock on the door to the factory didn't pose much of a challenge for the crafty pirate, and they ventured inside.
- After wandering through a few rooms of the abandoned toy factory, they encountered a Blunderbus who tried to steal a couple of coins from them. When confronted he told them that "they" made him do it, and he led them to the interior room where the Hobgoblins were holed up.
- Hannah's "Good Blaster" broke through the hobs' armor and made them feel very guilty. She tied them up and brought them back to The Inspector who told them that the theives were wanted by Lucy Lawful...
- Steiner took his Blackjack with Riley in the newly-acquired Hatchetman, Orion in his assassin, and Morgan in the Jenner into the western badlands to look for signs of 'mech activity related to the terrorist cell they'd been hunting.
- After some time in the badlands, they began picking up weak radio transmissions and began to notice sensor interference in their 'mechs. They ended up in a boxed canyon where they found a Flea and a Clint and a few semi-permenent structures.
- Engaging the units was more difficult than it should have been, largely due to whatever was causing the sensor scrambling. As they fought with the lighter units, Steiner realized that their foes were painted with obvious FWL colors, rather than the hodge-podge, bandit schemes they'd so far encountered on this contract. Further, the area they were occupying was almost certainly a dropship LZ.
- The lance managed to take out the Flea, but the threat increased significantly when reinforcements showed up in the form of a Vindicator who landed a couple PPC hits right out of the gate.
- Morgan turned his attention to the building the suspected of housing the sensor-jamming device in an attempt to remove that edge from their enemies. It was pretty heavily armored, but with some help from his allies, a couple rounds of sustained fire destroyed it and the interference they'd been experiencing cleared instantly.
- It was then that Steiner's sensors pegged their biggest problem: a 70-ton Marauder closing in on their position...
|Wednesday August 8, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- As Ronin attempted to cover Ravri's escape from the merkadian, Helios suddenly appeared between them and a large margr (Glaan) emerged from the chaos behind it. Helios and the margr engaged the spike assailant while Ronin fired at it with his bow, eventually piercing its chest and causing it to explode in a burst of green, electrical energy.
- While Kelon and Ganthet attempted to occupy the surrounding margr, Naran made her way to the controls of the large, wheeled cannon artifact as the a loosed crag worm bore down upon them. Naran was able to take control of the device and decipher the controls enough to get it moving in a direction away from the rampaging beast, driving it away through the chaos of the camp and out the other side.
- After taking a few more shots into the skirmishing margr with his numenera polyp weapon, Ronin sensed that they had done what they could and assisted the injured Ravri away from the encampment. Noticing the telltale signs of his brother's lightening abilities, Helios waded into the camp to help cover his escape. The warcamp now thoroughly consuming itself, the parties from Arable disengaged - each making their way back to the town by their own route. Only Kelon and Tala did not return.
- The townspeople were happy to be reunited with Naran and Helios, and there was more celebration on their return. Once she and Olim arrived, Piper spent some time with Polious fixing the dozen or so perplexing "bugs" that seemed to continue to plague the Weathervane, despite their efforts and what the Aeon Priest was sure should have worked.
- After some time had passed, Polious gathered them all together with some troubling news: the Weathervane was dying. A number of major components were shorting out and could not be replaced without depowering the entire system, but the burnout of a number of regulatory systems and the malfunctioning of interfaces meant that they only way they had to shut it down would also burn out the entire thing. On top of that, its power output seems to be much less than the core the group had recovered should be providing - and it's continuing to drop. He gives it less than two years of reduced operation before it burns out completely, and he has no contingency plan...
GM's Note: For the first time since Mar 6 2017, the party is completely reunited!!
- Drevan, Toulonne, and Braeggan flipped over the steel table and took cover behind it, returning a few shots with their pistols as they decided what to do. The building was on auto-lockdown, but the back door had been opened moments before the alarm was raised and wouldn't seal until it closed again. They attempted to give some covering fire while sending Braeggan out the door to (relative) safety.
- Moments later, the truck that had rammed through the wall exploded violently, killing many of the attackers while the rest ran away further into the building. Drevan and Toulonne pursued one down the hall and discovered that the stairwell doors - which should have been locked - were open. When they returned to the mess hall, security teams and medics were already on site. As the incident wound down, the two were asked some questions and allowed to leave.
- When the rest of the company returned, they found out from Riley that about 20 minutes after they left the battlefield continuing their escort mission, a Marauder and a Cyclops arrived on the scene. They all spent some time doing field repairs (enough to get the Whitworth moving again), and the group of them headed off to the west. Consulting the satellite maps, to the west was largely plainsland. Beyond this was a rugged badlands region, the compound of a wealthy noble, and the small port town of Urngen.
- The group also got word of the Bluesabres returning to the city and decided they wanted to find out what they knew. Steiner and Orion caught up with a couple of them at The Militiaman, and learned they'd found little in the mountains to the north, but that they had intercepted a Hermes II heading east and were currently working to salvage it. They figure the Hermes was heading into the forest, and they're planning to hit that area next.
- The company did some quick repairs to get a deployable recon lance and sent them to the badlands to the west while Rip, Toulonnne and a couple of crew went to speak with the noble.
|Tuesday July 31, 2018 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran returned to where Helios had been, only to find him missing. Looking around, she noticed Ganthet and Kelon in the camp below her, freeing the worms and fending off a merkadian. Still invisible, she made her way down the slope to some cover and began zapping the spiked man with sunbeams.
- Ganthet used his electrical affinity to awaken and prod the sedated crag worms, who lunged into the camp, adding to the chaos unfolding there. Kelon attempted to keep the merkadian's attention, which quickly devided between him, Ganthet, and whatever was searing him with bright yellow light. The three of them kept him unable to focus on a single target, and Naran was eventually able to finish him off.
- Trying to keep Ravri's quarry from spotting her, Ronin fired a couple of polyp canisters in his direction. The merkadian spotted him almost immediately and charged up into his hiding place. Not wanting to be cornered, Ronin leapt away into the darkness, but this turned the merkadian's attention elsewhere and he spotted Ravri just before she was able to backstab him. Ronin returned and began firing arrows and canisters into the resulting skirmish, but neither he nor Ravri seemed to be able to do much damage to the merkadian threat.
- The warcamp itself was quickly devolving into internal conflict. The margr gathered there were only loosely held together by merkadian control - and most of them resented the outsiders. One tribe leader in particular called Glaan, saw and opportunity as things began to unfold and made her move against the one called The Eye. As the duel began, the margr gathered, uncertain of what to do, waited to see how it would turn out - and thus who to side with. The resulting struggle was brief and brutal, but Glaan ultimately came out on top, crushing the merkadian's head with a final blow that dislodged its numenera eye.
- After killing the merkadian, Naran, Kelon, and Ganthet had a brief conversation about what to do next. They had killed a probably leader, but they still needed to do more to reduce the threat posed by this band. Seeing a large numenera machine powering up and rolling through the camp, they decided that would be their next target. Though outnumbered dozens to one, the three waded into the camp, fighting off abhumans as they went, until they reached the device.
- Ronin and Ravri, both beaten down signficantly, began to make a retreat to the north, away from the fight. Ronin used his numenera device to put as many polyp growths between them and the merkadian as possible, but it was only slowing him down.
- Glaan, having wondered through the camp in search of the other oppressors, finally spotted the green numenera discharges of the one called The Fist. She shoved her way through the intervening chaos, emerging to see the merkadian wading through a growth of red polyps toward some unknown attacker in the darkness...
GM's Note: This situation turned into a rather lengthy and complex encounter. Because Piper is not present - and is, in fact, weeks further in the timeline than the others - I decided to give Keara an NPC to play in this engagement. Indicating she wanted to do something a bit different, I decided I would give her one of the margr of the camp - the leader of a sub-tribe who chafed against the merkadian's cowing of the others. While this character was created just prior to this session, the idea of characters like Glaan present in the warcamp was always there, so it was easy enough to flesh out one of them and hand it off. Keara really enjoyed the change of pace, and getting a different perspective on the chaos of the encounter was interesting for everyone.
|Tuesday July 24, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Pursued by a patrol of margr, Ronin, Ganthet, and the others scatter into the rugged landscape, forcing the enemies to split up and losing some of them in the process. A few isolated skirmishes resulted, with somewhat varied outcomes.
- Ganthet and Kelon regrouped and decided that something must be done about the greater tribe. Neither had a solid plan, so they decided to go for the desperate one that seemed to have the best chance of doing some good: if they could release and prod the juvenile cragworms, the beasts might be able to do enough damage to significantly weaken the horde.
- Ronin had a brief fight with the one margr chasing him and made his way to a nearby skirmish where he found Ravri being attacked by several - including an obvious leader. The fight took a toll on them both, but with some good fortune they take out the big guy and took off before too many more could arrive. Deciding that the game is up, they also made their way back toward the encampment - Ronin decided that freeing the cragworms they'd seen earlier was their best bet at keeping the tribe from attacking Arable, though Ravri seemed dubious.
- Meanwhile, Naran and Helios were attacked by another patrol as they wandered unknowingly into the margr's territory. They fought off their attackers, but lost their pack animal in the process. Gathering the remaining supplies, they continued on their way - only to stumble upon the encampment from above.
- As Ronin and Ravri made their way around the camp from the north, Ronin caught sight of Ganthet sneaking in and cutting the ropes tying the beasts down. Noticing another group of margr approaching the area, he fired his red-polyp numenera weapon into their midst, creating confusion and buying his companions some time. Taking note of the effectiveness of the tactic, he maneuvered into a different position and fired again into the camp as Ravri moved off in another direction.
- Above, Naran and Helios spotted a patrol heading their way. Naran made herself invisible and teleported to the far side of the patrol in a bright flash of light, startling and disorienting them.
- Ganthet and Kelon managed to cut the cables on the worms without being seen, and the most agitated of them lunged into the camp, devouring whatever margr it came across. As he carefully pulled back into the shadows at the edge of the camp, Helios, who had been watching the scene from above, recognized his brother.
- Ronin took notice of the figures in spikes investigating the chaos happening in the camp with a bit more focus than their abhuman counterparts. As one moved closer to his position, he saw Ravri, all but in the open, creeping up behind it with her knife drawn...
- The Foxes decided their next move would be against Drave's rival - a witch called Quellyn. She had apparently bound a ghost which was now haunting Drave in an attempt to get him to free it. They did a little legwork in Crow's Foot prior to the operation, but didn't manage to get much more than some dirty looks.
- The gang made their way into the sewers and tunnels near the witch's tower where they found a boarded-up hole in its basement wall protected by some sort of ghost ward. Drave was able to dismantle the magical protections and Erik quickly pried the boards out before they could be spotted.
- Inside the tower, they made their way toward the upper chamber Drave had seen in a vision. They were caught by a mad, howling spectre which injected their minds with horrific visions before Drave managed to drive it off.
- Finally making their way up the brittle iron staircase into the upper chamber, they found the hanging dolls exactly where they expected them - and they could also hear Quellyn's voice chanting upstairs. Peering into the ghost field, Drave was able to find the ghost he was trying to free and identify the doll anchor binding it to the witch. With Erik's help, they cut the anchor down intact and made off before Quellyn could catch them - though the only loot they found was a small wooden box full of gold teeth.
- The Foxes returned to their neighborhood to discover that Flint, one of their contacts, had been questioned by the Bluecoats and may have let slip a couple of details about the Foxes' operations. The crew did manage to do a little recruiting - picking up a small gang of rooks to help them cover their territory.
|Tuesday July 17, 2018 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios met up with some scavengers outside the Empty Machine and followed them back to the quasi-permanent encampment nearby. They bartered for food, water, and a shelter from the supply caravan that had arrived from the north and set out toward Arable. Late in the evening of the 4th day, as they wandered through a badlands region, the found themselves surrounded by a small band of margr...
- Ronin and Ganthet discussed their situation with the other hunters and made some decisions. A few of them attempted to pursue the margr that had fled from the battle but were ultimately unable to catch it. The others moved into a recon position to survey the larger tribe. They found an unusually large group of 200+ margr, possibly being led by a couple of spike-covered humanoids, that had apparently captured a few juvenille cragworms. As they talked about what they'd found, margr nearby were alerted to their presence...
- Piper, Olim, and Jumis made their way through the scrublands toward Arable. They happened upon some machinery surrounded by deep, black oil on the way through. When they reached the city, they were greeted by Neen - deputy Urshan's pet seskii.
|Saturday June 23, 2018 at 9:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper and Olim made their way into Luigolamis. They spoke to a couple of guardsmen who gave them some tips on navigating the city. They were able to acquire supplies from the lakeshore markets, but had little luck finding suitable components for their damaged airship. As they made their way out, an alarm sounded throughout the Twinned Cities and the energy barrier was activated - apparently a bandit army was closing in and the city needed to be sealed. Piper and Olim used a cypher they'd acquired and a makeshift zipline to escape. Once back to the airship, they set out once more for the Beyond.
- Ganthet began climbing the numenera device that had risen from the sands in an attempt to reach the top before the margr as Ronin fired arrows at the remaining enemies. Ganthet managed to knock the climbing margr from the device and, continuing to its top, found another numenera objcet being created within teh energy bubble at the top. As the hunters closed in on the remaining margr, Ronin gained the leader's attention. As the massive, two-headed margr charged at him, he pulled and fired the weapon he'd taken from one of the others. His shot was perfect and the leader was consumed from the inside by toxic fungal polyps. Their remaining foes had fallen, but they knew at least one had escaped in the fray - certainly heading northwest to the larger tribe.
- Naran and Helios rejoined Drokkan at the bunk house. After a a bit more rest, Drokkan agreed to take them to the machine he'd found as promised. On the way there, he became increasingly wary - and when they arrived he found a glyph that unnerved him. As he warned them that they shouldn't remain in the area long, Naran began to examine the complex device. The center of the room seemed to contain a bubble of space somehow "pulled" from another location. She discerned that, if one were to break the containment field, that person could enter the bubble and be transported to the place displayed. In a stroke of considerable good fortune, she not only located the controls to alter the location displayed, but found several "presets" that showed floating obelisks - one of which she recognized from Polious' stories as the Amber Monolith. From there, she was able to adjust the location eastward until Helios recognized the Empty Machine - a landmark not more than a hundred miles or so northwest of Arable. It was at this point they ran out of time. As a greenish mist began to fill the room, Naran activated to device and she and Helios jumped into the portal - telling Drokkan he could come with them, but that it was a one-way trip.
- Piper and Olim traveled slowly but steadily on their airship for several days - through the Black Riage via the Garl Knave, westward to the enormous Ba-Adenu forest, and then north to the plains of Kataru. They saw distant lights in the impossibly-tall black mountains, the great mass of the largest trees either of them had ever seen, a massive automaton with a glass-like spherical head, a landscape bent down by the inexplicably-sustained gusts of hurricane-force winds, and a silver thread reaching all the way into the heavens in the eastern distance. After a few days, however, their craft began to experience various levels of malfunction. They worked tirelessly to keep it stable, in the air, and continuing north, but it became apparent that eventual failure was inevitable. For the last several miles, the all but scraped the surface of the barren landscape before the craft dug into the dull earth and came to a stop. In the distance, however, Piper could just make out the point of what appeared to be Aglarion's Watchtower - and landmark only a few miles south of Arable.
- Aralakh managed to keep the advantage in their struggle against the raiders, but as the trucks pulled away and the enemy force split they were forced to make a decision: would they stay with the trucks and ensure they arrived safely at their destination, or would they fight it out and try to recover their downed Panther? They ultimately opted for the former, bringing their mission success/failure record and units gained/lost both to 1:1.
- Meanwhile, Drevan and Toulonne were back at the garrison at Lysida City talking with Braeggan (their master tech) in the mess hall about repairs to the Grasshopper, when they suddenly found themselves attack as an armored vehicle smashed through the wall and automatic gunfire sprayed into the room.
|Monday June 18, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper and Garrot load up Jumis and what supplies they had and manage to get the craft off the ground and some distance from the city before they came under attack by the perimeter defences. They took a hit to the craft's secondary propulsion systems, which Piper was able to patch while dangling from a makeshift harness. Once away, they discussed their overall plan. They decided they would stop in the Empire's "Twinned Cities" of Jargolamis/Luigolamis for supplies and components, and then make their way to the Garl Nave to cross the Black Riage into the Ba-Adenu forest and make their way northward from there over the Beyond. This would mean they'd have little hope of aid should their craft break down, but it also meant they would have little in the way of political trouble.
- Ganthet, Ronin, and their companions continued their fight against the margr band, slowly gaining the advantage. The holograms that had been shifting overhead suddenly vanished, and some sort of numenera device emerged from the ground - crowned with a bubble of pulsing energy. The leader and a couple of others broke off their fight with the intruders in order to interact with it: the leader seemed to activate certain controls while one of the others began frantically climbing the structure toward the energy bubble.
- Helios was awakened by a sudden tremor that knocked him out of the bunk and frantic pounding on the door. It also seemed to be "snowing" inside the building. Looking out the window, he saw some chaos in the Scavengers' Wreck, but nothing obviously corresponding with the cries of "let us in, it's going to kill us!" coming from the people outside. He poked his head through the door and told them to calm down, but they just ran off screaming. Seeing no apparent threat beyond the crazies outside, Helios barricaded the door and went back to sleep.
- Naran and Martylla had been making their way to the DataVault when the snow storm hit. Naran found that contact with the crystals caused vivid hallucinations and disorientation, but Martylla and the other skeane seemed unaffected. She made it to the DataVault only partially conscious and the next they she knew she was in some distorted facsimile of Arable. Uncertain of her surroundings but following the cues provided, she and Martylla navigated the construct, spoke with some of the "people" there, and eventually emerged with 3 marker keys. Taking advantage of the chaos created by the storm, Martylla was able to get them to an unattended "lift" within the vault where they could use their keys to access the correct data-drives to get the information they were after: where was Helios? The data in the vault seemed to answer their question - as well as a few more unasked.
|Saturday June 2, 2018 at 3:00pm||no thank you evil, trouble in space, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Pirate Hannah and her Pretty Pony got a job offer from an alien called Opik: he needed someone to accompany the child alien Zot on a space ship back to his home planet. He would give them 3 coins when Zot arrived safely.
- Shortly into the trip alarms began sounding. A message from Opik said there was some distrubance in the engine room. With some help from an android called Sassy, Hannah opened the hatch covering a secret ladder down into the workings of the ship. She made her way to the back of the ship, encountering some space rats, a bubble-gum making bird, and other strange creatures.
- The engine room was being devoured by a metal-eating creature called a Lacer. When she couldn't talk it into leaving, she tried to scare it off and then beat it up, but it proved too tough for her.
- In the end, Hannah lured the creature out of the engine room, and though it conked her out, Sassy arrived and was able to convince it to eat some of the junk in the storage room instead of gnawing on the engine.
This scenario from "Uh-Oh Monsters" was REALLY tough for a single PC - and that's AFTER I dialed it back a bit. In hindsight, instead of using deus-ex and having Sassy talk the Lacer out of eating the engine, I should have had the ship crash on a nearby planet and then Hannah would have to fix the ship to get Zot home - which would have been awesome. Unfortunately, I didn't think of that at the time. We'd been going for a while, and I could sense Hannah was running out of ideas, so I was trying to wrap it up. I'm also not super practiced at running published scenarios. Oh well, live and game and learn.
- Finding themselves threatened by rivals on apparently hostile turf, the Foxes did their best to play off the situation as expected. They told the leader of the Stone Club gang that they had come to patch things up and even suggested that the two crews should be working together. Their proposal got them a foot in the door (with help from some coin), but they got a bit demanding in the delivery and their "suggestions" were ultimately not well received. Before the situation could erupt into actual violence, they took their leave.
- Deciding to continue their search for a fence, Erik went to speak with his friend Telda, a Six Towers beggar. The woman initially told him off for his line of questioning, but later sent word to him about a hunched man with silver-gray hair called Zant who hangs out near the Black Circle Tavern.
- Piper and Garrot were led by Quince into the Court of Rarmon where they spoke with Lord Gyre. They were asked to explain the afternoon's "malfunction" and to give their opinion of ongoing threats. Some of the conversation began to sound accusatory when Quince made a proposal to the Lords to move all "significant and mysterious" numnera artifacts to the control of the crown by way of the city government. A few of those gathered took issue with this "overreach", but most seemed contentedly unaffected. Following the hearing, Piper returned to the Orrery with Garrot in order to help return it to a (more) stable condition and then made her way back to Olim's tower to find the airship almost ready for launch. After a brief conversation with him and some hurried preparations and last-minute checks, they decided the time had come to make their move - the test flight of their newly-completed airship would be a flight from the city's powers-that-be and into the Beyond.
- Ganthet, Ronin, and their company continued their fight against the margr as the holograms flashed and shifted overhead. Ronin attracted the attention of one of abhumans weilding a slug-thrower weapon and Ganthet engaged with the large, two-headed creature that seemed to be the leader while Tala, Ravri, Oorum and Shynd waded into the fray with other specimens. After being disarmed, Ganthet set off an electrical detonation cypher, which shocked and stunned most of those within the camp as a powerful energy beam from somewhere outside burned into the margr leader's chest
- Naran, Drokkan, and Helios attempted to hide as a band of well-equipped skeane descended upon the area. Their efforts were only partially successful, and both groups decided to leave the area rather than engage them. Helios, unsure of the location of his companions, set off toward the membrane gate leading back into the city of Rust and, once there, made his way to Drokkan's dwelling in the South Loop. Naran and Drokkan were trying to conceal themselves in their hiding place, but searchlights suggested they'd been spotted. Naran was doing her best not to let the growing dread become panic when she suddenly found herself back in the City of Rust. She set the injured Drokkan up in one of the public bunkhouses and went to speak with his skeane "friend" Martylla to see if she could find a way to determine Helios's wearabouts. Martylla suggested they check the DataVault.
- When the bubble teas hit the frozen ice rink, the froze solid into balls and rolled away - being chased by the Argle Bargles. Since she found herself trapped in the basement, Pirate Hannah decided to let them have the bubble teas for now and concentrate on getting back up the slide. She managed to talk the Argle Bargles into helping her up the slide, and they even gave her the rest of their (now frozen) bubble teas.
- Next she needed to get a clean pillowcase. Crystal Noele told her she could find one in the laundry shed behind the hotel, but when Hannah got there, she found it was full of Gunks who were busy dirtying all the clean laundry. She was able to get the only remaining clean pillowcase away from them, but got pretty 'gunked' herself in the process.
- The last component she needed was a room key. Cyrstal told Hannah that all of the keys were in use, and that the guests with them were trapped on the 3rd floor! Talking to the gardener gnome, Hannah borrowed a growing ladder and climbed into the 3rd floor window where she was able to talk a cat-person into giving her a room key.
- Once all the components were gathered, Hannah recited the incantation and the Jinn and Dragons went back to work, freezing the thawing hotel. Cyrstal Noele was so happy that she told Hannah that she and her Pretty Pony could stay at her hotel for free anytime.
- Pirate Hannah came with her Pretty Pony to stay in a famous Ice Palace Hotel in Into the Closet. When she arrived, however, she found the place to be melting. The owner, Crystal Noele, explained that the Jinn and the Snow Dragon that usually keep the place frozen had stopped working. When Hannah investigated, she found that the Jinn and the Dragon were under a 'Lazy Bum' spell, and to reverse it, she would have to gather some specific components.
- The first was "two partially-drunk glasses of bubble tea". Serios, the mouse who runs the hotel's cafe, told her he'd sold the last two to a couple of Argle Bargles, which had then gone down to the ice rink in the basement. Hannah found them there, and was able to steal the teas from them, but as she tried to escape back up the slide leading to the basement, she slipped and landed back in the rink as the Argle Bargles closed in...
- Piper and Garrot discovered the huge electromagnet that was part of the Orrery had malfunctioned, possibly as a side effect of their interface with the Atlas, and had pulled nearly all unanchored metal within a wide radius up to it. After considerable effort, they were able to disengage the magnet and release the objects it had collected in a relatively safe fashion. After this, they were escorted to the Sunken Palace, which they found still spinning, to speak with city authorities.
- Ronin and Ganthet met with several of the hunters of Arable to plan some action against the small abhuman margr band that had strangely taken up residence nearby and was, reportedly, harassing some of the outlying farms. Wanting to remove this threat without drawing the ire of the large tribe further northwest, they decided they would attack at night, allow none to escape, and leave no trace of their presence. As they launched their attack on the dozen or so margr and their two-headed leader, a number of large, holographic images of various people, places, and objects appeared within the battlefield.
- Naran and Drokkan contined to work to shut down the machine emitting the corrosive bubbles. The glowing fish began harassing them as they attempted to disable the device, some of which seemed to siphon energy from it to become larger and more menacing. Their efforts ultimately overloaded some part of the device, and it sent out one last shockwave that somehow encased every living thing in its path within an egg-like, red sphere. Naran cut her way out and made her way over to free Drokkan. She was able to cut him out as well, but he seemed to have faired more poorly and was barely concsious. It was then that they noticed lights from a craft overhead.
- Meanwhile, as Helios bargained with the two eleen tribemen for the spoils of the room they had discovered, a third eleen hurried into the room with a warning about kenlem in the area. Before they could make any real preparations, large, two-headed spiders began phasing into the room through the walls and ceiling. Helios grabbed what he could, and hurriedly forced himself back through the wall toward his home dimension. He emerged just in time to be hit by the bubble-machine's shockwave and found himself trapped in a spherical "egg" as well, from which he escaped by phasing through the solid shell, nearly exhausting his energy.
- Though slowed and badly damaged, the trucks made it back to the road. Both Aralakh and the attackers have sustained significant damage from the continuing firefight, but both sides seem determined not to back down...
- As the room continued to warm unnaturally and the ghost began its operatic song, Drave decided it was time to go - prying open the window and jumping out back into the courtyard.
- Meanwhile upstairs, Erik bolted after Lady Molfon, grabbing her arm in order to keep her from escaping with her armfuls of surely-illgotten jewelry. The ghost's song rattled something loose in his mind - visions of an icy gem that wouldn't go away - but he retained his hold and ordered her to give in. When she surrendered, he gathered up the jewels and bolted for an exit. Two of the guards caught sight of him as he made his escape, but he and Drave were over the wall and out of sight before they could engage in any sort of pursuit.
- Over the next few days, the crew got their payoff from Adelaide and made some efforts to reduce the amount of heat they were taking from this last operation. After taking some personal time as well, they met and decided that if they were going to be doing this sort of thing a lot, they'd need someone to help them move their goods.
- Drave's friend Flint could only give them the barest lead, and the two made their way to Doan's, a tiny backstreet bar and gambling den, to ask around -only to find themselves confronted by local rivals, the Stone Club...
|Friday April 27, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper spent some additional time in the Atlas with Garrot attempting to interact with the device in an intentional way. With considerably effort, she was able to activate the device again, focusing it on their area and where she believed her home town of Arable might be located. Using the device seemed to be physically taxing, however, and the intense pressure-headaches it triggered ultimately became unbearable. Believing she had adequate - if not abundant - guidance for where to direct their course, Garrot opened the hatch to descend back into the Orrery's control room, but stopped when he noticed something wrong...
- Ganthet used his lightening ability to jump to the entrance of the power vault to sever the liquid-like tentacle grasping his friend and the power core. As he hacked through it, Polious threw an electrical detonation cypher into the vicinity. Their combined effortes ruptured the tentacle, sending black acid all everywhere. The three were able to get the power core back into position and reconnected, but were not 100% satisfied with the resulting operations: Polious was concerned that the core was outputting too much power, but had to admit that any additional manipulation of the setup was likely to make things worse and not better. Above, they found that the Weathervane had stabilized closer to its "normal" operation, but that it's area of influence has shrunk considerably and Polious was concerned about a pinhole that had appeared in the perpetual clouds directly above the device's point. Over the next few days, townsfolk began making plans for clearing land and moving farms that were no longer under the influence of the artifact while Ronin, Ganthet, and the town's hunters discussed the growing presence of margr in the area...
- Helios, Naran, and Drokkan found a nearby area to rest before sending Helios back into the vault. Just before he began phasing through the metal door, a woman appeared among them asking to accompany him. It took them a few minutes to realize that this woman was a manifestation of the Sisters they had met in Mekel - she was apparently some sort of artificial construct housed within the numenera cube they had given to Helios and Naran. She wanted to find a place more suitable for herself, and believed the place Helios had found within the vault might offer more promise. Helios took the cube from Naran and phased through the door again. While looking around the room, he was met by two pale-skinned humans(?) who had some claim on the area he had discovered. They agreed to give him 1/3 of the contents of the room, which seemed fair. Meanwhile, Naran and Drokkan found themselves beset by dangerous bubbles issuing from what remained of the propulsion artifact they'd been examining when the whale awoke as well as a large rock-creature...
- As the engagement continued, both sides traded pot-shots as they attempted to maneuver for better position. When the firefight resumed, it was the heavier mechs that were in the fore. The Wolverine and the Phoenix Hawk both took significant armor damage over the following exchanges, though neither has yet lost internal structure or critical systems. The trucks continued around the hill back toward the road as Aralakh did its best to keep their lighter adversaries from damaging them further.
|Thursday April 19, 2018 at 8:15pm||blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- The ghost who appeared in the Foxes' coal-mine lair intruded upon Drave's mind, showing him a tower in another district of the city containing the ritual components binding him to the witch Quellyn, before something pulled him back into the Ghost Field.
- Erik scouted the guard situation at the Molfon Estate ahead of their score attempt against it. Their noble contact Adelaide - through her servant Marta - had told them of a particular piece of jewelry she wanted from the Molfon family.
- Though they started off well, their plan to sneak into the house quickly went sideways as they were spotted by two guards who raised the alarm. After knocking one out, Erik intimidated the other who ran for help. Their cover blown, the two smashed a window to get inside but set off a security measure in the process which lit up the entire house with electroplasmic light. Drave began grabbing anything of value while Erik cowed a servant girl into telling him where the jewels were kept.
- Erik hurried upstairs into the master bedroom where he found a jewelry chest open and mostly empty. Suspecting someone hiding in the room with the missing jewels, he opened the closet door whereupon Lady Molfon shot at him with her husband's pistol and bolted for the open door.
- Drave found a couple of coin worth of valuables on a mantle and eventually ended up in the music room when all of the lights in the manor went out and the ghost of an old woman appeared at the piano...
|Monday April 16, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Nearing completion of the airship project and still in need of a bearing on their destination, Piper went to speak with Garrot at the Grand Orrery about something few know to be concealed within it: The Atlas. Though he was initially dismissive, Piper eventually convinced him to let her see it. The Atlas turned out to be some form of VR planetarium showing all of the major solar system bodies. Upon viewing this array, Piper's subconscious was able to manipulate the device - though, afterward, she was unsure how or why she'd done so.
- Black, liquid-like "tentacles" slipped themselves into the power vault where Polious, Ronin, and Ganthet were attempting to restore stablility to the Weathervane. The tendrils flowed themselves around people and objects as Ronin and Ganthet tried desperately to sever them while keeping the newly-connected core from malfunctioning. The grasping strands of darkness ultimately found the power core and began leeching energy from it. As Ganthet attempted to hack it away, a surge of will from somewhere in darkness beyond strengthened its hold, tearing both Ronin and the core from the wall and pulling them toward the abyss.
- Naran, Helios, and Drokkan immediately began attempting to depower the propulsion artifact they had inadvertently awakened even as the whale and the city on its back lurched forward toward the seabed. The giant creature with its ring of lights floated back toward them, seemingly curious about this new source of activity and extendended rigid, vine-like tendrils into the aft of the ship. Naran and Drokkan were able to deactivate the machine after only a few attempts and, as the whale-city began drifting to a stop, they all felt for a moment as though disaster had been averted. It was then that the static energy build-up made its presense known - growing to an intensity that resulted in a powerful arc between the propulsion device and the bulbous eyes of the looming creature trailing them. The creature reacted instinctively, ripping its tendrils from the aft of the city and shredding much of the surrounding structure in the process. This dislodged the massive propulsion artifact, which fell some distance toward the sea floor before it was caught by some sort of cabling which tore free down the starboard side, swinging the heavy device out in that direction and causing the whale to roll along with it. Just when the rotation had nearly inverted the city, the colossal creature finally awoke. Startled by the sudden activity behind it, it immediately began swimming toward what it believed to be the surface, smashing its back into the ocean floor beneath its entire mass; crushing the settlement that once perched atop it. The titanic creature thrashed about as it attempted to right itself - splintering wood, synth, and steel - before it finally succeeded in rolling over and ascending from the rubble. Naran and Helios had managed to get clear of the whale before the impact and avoided being buried in the waves of sediment kicked up from the sea floor by the flailing beast. They found Drokkan amidst the rubble, unharmed and smiling - standing before the partially buried vault.
|Friday April 13, 2018 at 9:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper went to speak with Ryse and the other Aeon priests at the Embassy of Truth, telling them about the transdimensional device she found in The Pipes. She also spent some time in the Embassy's library looking over the available maps. Ibe and a few of the other priests suggested some courses of action to determine the location of her home.
- Ronin and Ganthet went down into the ruins beneath the Weathervane with Polious to finally repair the artifact with the power core they'd recovered. Upon reaching the jury-rigged setup in the vault-like power room, they determined that the connections on the replacement core weren't going to make the project overly easy - and nor were the black tentacles reaching in after them...
- Helios began phasing through the vault door to see what was inside while Naran and Drokkan continued exploring the hold. They didn't find much else of interest in the vast storage areas of the ship-city - aside from a massive creature with a ring of lights around its head investigating the structure they were in. They pulled Helios back out just after he'd seen that the room on the other side of the Vault door was not at all what he expected. They talked for a minute about whether to address the creature, but decided not to chance agitating it - though they'd have to wait for it to leave before feeling it would be safe to reenter the vault. In the meantime, they decided to investigate the device Naran had previously discovered in the aft. They began scavenging it for numenera components when a portion of it unexpectedly powered up - and began pushing the whale-city forward, toward the sea floor...
- Though initially outnumbered, a stroke of incredible good fortune allowed Aralakh to completely incapacitate the opposing Whitworth with a pair of lucky headshots. The Wolverine managed to mostly return the favor a bit later, however, when it blasted off their Panther's right leg, taking it down. Both sides having downed units on the field has upped the stakes on this engagement considerably.
- Meanwhile, the Commando continues to harass the trucks they're escorting and their Phoenix Hawk is only now catching up to it. The company's Jenner is also running hot after continued attempts to swat the Wasp buzzing around it.
- Meanwhile, Steiner, Riley, and Morgan were escorting an overdue shipment to a neightboring city when they, too, were attacked by the bandits. Deficits in units and overall tonnage will make this a tough fight, but they are so far holding their own. Whether they can keep the attackers from destroying the trucks might be another question entirely.
- Erik [Tony] : Lurk
- Drave [Tim] : Whisper
- Telda : a roaming beggar and a good source for info on the street
- Flint: a spirit trafficker with a shop in the Foxes' territory
- Kobb: a gambler and broker who takes bets on the fights at the Broken Anchor
- Quellyn: a witch who holds a grudge against Drave for interrupting a ritual and the resulting injury and scar
- Darmot: a Coalridge Bluecoat who seems to have it in for Erik
- Candra: a sailor/boxer who underestimated him once and now takes special pleasure in beating him down
- As they finished setting up their operation, the crew got two score opportunities: one from their noble contact, and the other from the Circle of Flame. The first was to steal a particular antique necklace from a rival noble, and the second was to obtain an artifact from a carraige about to move through their turf. Since the latter was more time-sensitive, they decided to act on it first and risk the noble's impatience.
- Drave decided on a setup action to scout the likely routes and find a ghost that he could push to manifest and distract the Spirit Warden driver of the carriage. He was successful, but the spirit took an interest in him: it's apparently being controlled by another and it seeks release.
- While the driver was distracted, Erik entered the carriage and found it coated with ice. He managed to free the box containing the Soul Gem from its containment and made a run for it before the Warden could catch him.
- The Circle of Flame was impressed by the Foxes' daring success and gave them the 6 coin payoff promised.
- The crew took a fair bit of heat from the operation as they were both spotted and the Spirit Wardens are a high-profile faction. Erik attempted to pin the deed on some local rivals, the Stone Club, but only managed in further agitating that gang.
- The two had spent a day or to trying to unwind from the stress of their score and were planning their operation against the Molfon Estate for Adelaide's necklace when the spirit Drave and previously coerced appeared in their hidden lair...
|Monday March 19, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet return to the illusory forest they'd encountered when they'd started their quest - though it had definitely moved further north from its previous position. They made their way through the hologrammatic trees as quickly as possible, though it took several hours. Somewhere near the center of the wood, they found a giant, tangible tree surrounded by large, translucent pods. A nearby pool of water allowed them to refill their canteens for the remainder of their journey, though something about the place felt 'off'. When they finally reached Arable, they were greeted with desparate pleading and endless questions - particularly about their missing companions and the success of their mission. They learned that the Weathervane's function had been steadily deteriorating since they left and would need attention soon if the settlement is to survive.
- Naran and Helios continued exploring the wrecked whale-city with Drokkan. Naran found a sort of command or navigation room while Helios phased through a pressure-sealed bulkhead to enter the captain's quarters, which were still dry. Inside he found numenera devices and a chest of shins amid the mess of papers and objects thrown from shelves and tables. Naran found some interesting maps for which she went to some lengths to salvage and preserve, as well as a metal safe which she cut from the surrounding equipment. After giving the remainder of the bow a once-over, the three proceeded into the cargo holds where they found some metal plates that superheated when they came in contact with one another, a crate of pearls that seemed to repel water, and a large metal vault which promised their real payday...
- The Thunderbolt survived long enough for the pilot to regain consciousness and become a threat, but a lucky shot to the machinegun ammo cache caused a massive explosion which ripped the unit apart. The Hermes II, meanwhile, had managed to take out one of the Assassin's legs before changing its tactics. Its heavier support gone, the Hermes began destroying the repair trucks still working on the damaged facility. Using the terrain and speed to its advantage over Aralakh's remaining heavier units, it was able to destroy all three trucks and escape the engagement area - securing a technical victory.
- Aralakh's objective to protect the crews repairing the power station was a failure overall, but they did manage to salvage the remains of a Thunderbolt chassis.
|Tuesday March 6, 2018 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet fought off the trio of margr, who turned out to be sentries for a massive encampment further into the northern badlands. They were able to outrun the pursuing band, eventually arriving at the oasis they had visited some weeks before. Once more, the glowing purple diamond appeared above the well at the site, and individuals seemingly from different worlds or realities wandered in.
- Piper and Olim cleaned up the tower and made some plans to carefully limit what they divulged about their project. When the inspection came, however, the Queen herself was leading the examination. Unfortunately, she was able to determine the nature of the craft they were restoring and, as Olim feared, had in mind several uses for it. To prevent the commandeering of his new vessel, Piper suggested they finish repairs on the ship and then use it to leave for her home of Arable - if they could determine the precise direction.
- Naran, Helios, and Drokkan split up and began exploring the whale/ship/city. Naran located a large numenera device at the aft surrounded by glowing fish and Drokkan found what he believed to be the "captain's quarters" but was unable to get inside. Helios, however, ran afoul of a giant black eel-like creature and some dangerous plants. The group managed to fight it off and resumed their exploration of the strange place.
|Monday March 5, 2018 at 8:30pm||new campaign, blades in the dark, black foxes, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
System: Blades in the Dark
Setting: Doskvol, the Shattered Isles
Players: Tony, Tim
Schedule: Occasional Weeknights
Starting a small, experimental Blades in the Dark campaign.
Tonight, we made the crew: the Black Foxes. A pair of disgruntled ex-miners from the district of Coalridge got together and decided to start a more lucrative, less legal enterprise. With the help of some chance relationships they've set up a hideout in a disused corner of the coal mine and have their sights on an area of the declining Six Towers district still possessed of some unjustified wealth.
Crew Type: Shadows (theives/spies)
Contacts: Adelaide Phraoig (noble), Lerrin (toolmaker), Mirage (Circle of Flame contact), Ulf Ironborn (gang leader)
Allies: The Circle of Flame (Occultists), Ulf Ironborn's gang (Bravos)
Enemies: The Stone Club (Bravos), The Dimmer Sisters (Occultists)
|Friday March 2, 2018 at 9:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet headed east across the desert plains, but their not-quite-domesticated aneen kept driving them north. Ronin noticed the brilliant-purple object above the oasis they'd seen on their original journey west and reoriented their course but from their northward position, this took them through a badlands region. They found themselves under attack by margr and are now attempting to fight off the abhumans while keeping their wild pack animal from running off.
- Piper and Olim's meeting with magistrate Quince was interrupted by the Angulan Knight Yal-Sara as she "delivered" the body of a man she'd been sent after. Once the magistrate regained his composure, he decreed that Olim must provide documentation on his efforts and agree to an imspection. On their way back to the tower, he voiced to Piper his concern that the queen was angling to seize control of his services and the airship he was restoring.
- Naran and Helios followed Drokkan through the crowds gathering around the return of Vareallius' ship to talk with a skeane friend of his about some deep water equipment for his new companions. Once this was acquired, the three headed up through the membrane gates and into the cold, dark waters. They jetted along the sea floor to the place where the deeping martelling was sleeping and then up into the city on its back and made plans to split up and see what they could find in the time.
- As the battle continued, the Assassin chased after the HermesII which had maneuvered behind the facility and was preparing to attack the repair crews. This left the Centurion and Crusader to engage the Thunderbolt. After a few rounds of concentrated fire, the Thunderbolt made a dramatic charge at the Crusader, inflicting brutal damage to its center torso and damaging its engine shielding. In so doing, however, the T-bolt took some unexpected damage to the head which KO'd the pilot!
- After pulling out of Holt, Aralakh continued on to their original destination in Lyran space: the Lysidas Barony in the Fianna system. They met briefly with Baron Hepstein who informed them on the particulars of their issue with a local terrorist cell. He'd already hired another small merc company which was currently engaged in the north - the first company to eliminate the threat would get a significant bonus. The most pressing outstanding objectives were to establish a visible presence within the city, to escort a shipping convoy to a neighboring city, and to defend repairs to a final power station outside the city - so Aralakh distributed their forces across these areas as they saw fit.
- The company's Crusader, Assassin, and Centurion had been dispatched to protect repair trucks at a previously-attacked and severely-damaged power station about 10 miles northeast of the city, where they engaged a Hermes II and a Thunderbolt who'd come to disrupt the operation.
|Friday February 16, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios continued into the darkness of the South Loop. After getting pulled deeper in to the Rustways by a strange current and encountering some massive monsters that seemed to repeatedly appear and disappear, they found their way back to the corridor and on to the Scavengers' Wreck, the more inhabited portion of this dark ruin. There, they eventually found Drokkan, the many they were looking for who they were told found something in the ruins that might be able to transport them elsewhere. Unfortunately, he insisted he was pressed for time at the moment - so the two agreed to go with him to help with whatever he was doing: which turned out to be exploring the remains of a deeping martelling whale settlement...
- Ganthet and Ronin evaded the monstrous metal automaton that emerged from a doorway on the far side of the large chamber they'd decended into when it unexpectedly powered-down. In fact, the entire complex seemed to be powering up and then losing power at regular intervals. Ronin led them further into the ruin where they found various control rooms and eventually a vertical shaft lined with glass pods, some of which contained creatures that had seemingly been grafted with plants. - one of which, a margr, was still alive. The ladder in the shaft gave them access to the hatch at the top, and they emerged back onto the plain above. The aneen Ganthet had left tied up had eventually worn itself out trying to escape, and was now calmly resting.
- An explosion blew out a wall at the top of the tower and sent Piper falling down the stairway into the room below, where Olim was still trying to catch the escaped threviars. The two pursued the darting creatures downstairs, where they apparently repowered an automaton friend of Olim's and then animated a giant pile of junk which began harrying Piper as she continued her search for some sort of containment device. It was about this time that there was a pounding on the front door and a voice demanding that Olim come out. Piper and Olim managed to break apart the junk pile and collect the remaining threviars about the time the door burst open amd one of the Rarmon guards came in and insisted they come with him to speak with the magistrate...
- The company engaged the bandit forces, but it quickly became apparent that fortune wasn't on their side. They established a new set of LZ coordinates with the contingent returning to the site, and made to lift off. The ship's aft suffered structural damage when the bandits detonated the mines that laced the area, but critical systems remained intact and they were able to pull away.
- Aralakh finished their resupply and left Hassad for the Fianna system in Lyran space. On the way, however, they decided to stop at Holt to meet with a potential buyer for their stolen experimental weapons. They realized a little too late they'd been set up, however, and now their forces are split and their dropship is under attack.
- After concluding the mission, the company jumped to Hassad back in FWL space to regroup. Aralakh claimed a Grasshopper, Hatchetman, and Jenner from the pool of salvaged 'mechs recovered from the operation - an impressive haul. They regrouped, repaired, made a couple of new hires, and settled on a fairly well-paying contract in the Lyran Commonwealth as their next op.
|Monday January 22, 2018 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper returned to Olim's tower and resumed helping him on his airship restoration. They encountered a large number of mysteriously burned out components related to the man's previous attempts to restore functionality to the craft. As they worked, snakes seemingly composed entirely of electricity leapt out of the craft and began causing havoc with other nearby devices whie the two tried to recapture them...
- While attempting to climb up and out of the opening from which he was dangling, Ronin mistakenly grabbed a vinelike plant and his weight ripped its shallow roots from the structure until it snagged on a piece of machinery. While he climbed the rest of the way down, Ganthet descended into the chamber himself. As they surveyed their surroundings, the blocky tower that jutted up from the center of the chamber lit up and the entire structure began a small but intense vibration. A number of nearby panels powered up, while other areas began to pop and spark with shorting circuits. Ronin noted a number of broad holes that had been punched through the walls of the chamber from outside just before a pounding sound of metal-on-metal began...
- Naran and Helios spent some time speaking with Thuriss and Marna at the now-emptied Great 'Leens tavern before setting out through the city toward the South Loop. The pair's persistence with the guards at the gate eventually yielded results and the door was opened for them - revealing the dark, tunnel-like passage into this newly-opened section of the Rustways...
- Jyun and Orion continued their guerilla tactics against the badly-damaged Capellan remnant, avoiding their biggest guns and pressing each tactical advantage until they were able to disable all of the resisting units. They emerged by no means unscathed, but the job was completed successfully enough to score a followup contract offer from the FWLM (should they choose to continue in its employ), and the salvage haul should be worth it.
|Tuesday January 16, 2018 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper awoke and continued attempting to find her way through the caverns and back to the surface. She found a spiraling passage heading downward which led to a chamber full of crystals and eventually a room full of complex machinery. She was confronted by a glowing banner-like entity which asked her a number of questions before asking if she wished to return to the surface. After answering in the affirmative, the next thing she knew she was on the crowded streets of Rarmon with her back to the Obstinate Door.
- Thruird blasted the Great 'Leens with bursts of ice from her mask while panicked bystanders fled. Naran was temporarily frozen to one of the pub's machines and Helios attempted to tackle their assailant and cover her face. The attempt failed, but it did distract her long enough for Naran to free herself and engage the Russet in conversation. The unexpected turn confused the girl enough that she dissipated the mask and left - obviously still angry but no logner violent. In the remains of the bar, the two spoke for some time about how to proceed in finding a way back to the mainland.
- Ganthet waited for Ronin for some time before leaving the power core in a "safe" place and heading north after the herd. As he approached a watering hole next to a cliffside, Ronin found him - now human but covered with smears of blood. The two made their way to the water's edge, where they were greeted mentally by some unseen entity. When they were unable to comply with its requests for a "clearance code", the ground began to shake. Ganthet hopped on a nearby aneen before it bolted away, but Ronin fell into the water and was unable to escape before the bottom fell out of the pool into a massive underground chamber.
- Meanwhile, Drevan hacked his way into the Phoenix Hawk and carry out some of the Lostech weaponry he'd found along with it, but its sensors detected some approaching units. He decided to walk it all the way back to the safety of their dropship, but by the time he returned, he found his powered-down Warhammer being approached by an Orion and a Vindicator. The ensuing firefight was brief but brutal; in the end the Orion was forced to withdraw and Aralakh was able to claim the remaining movable Lostech, as well as report a Vindicator for additional salvage.
- Knowing they are outgunned but not necessarily out-armored, Aralakh adopted a strategy of long range sniping from deep woods positions, hoping to draw the Capellan units to them and gambling that they can eliminate the biggest threats before they get close enough to be a problem. Damage is significant on both sides, and while the Capellan mechs are running hot, they've still got some big guns - and Aralakh's Centurion is feeling the loss of its AC/10.
|Wednesday December 13, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- While trying to trap an aneen to use as a pack animal, something inside Ronin was overcome with hunger. He transformed into an enourmous red serpent and began tearing open the scattering animals. His ravenous feast was interrupted by the sudden arrival of a cragworm, which fought with him for territory - nearly dragging Ganthet off after being greviously injured. Ronin, still a giant snake, pursued the fleeing herd beasts to the northeast while Ganthet recovered.
- Piper was attempting to find her way up and out of the cavernous depths when she encountered a small hive of crab-like creatures seemingly composed of the cast-off junk around her. The brushed them off and eluded their pursuit for some time, before stomping on one that surprised her. It let out a piercing sustained shriek, which awoke something giant behind her in the darkness. Whatever it was bellowed and pounded the walls and floor of the cavern, causing underground earthquakes that nearly buried her.
- Naran and Helios entered the "Great 'Leens" tavern and learned something about the place and its odd games, as well as the city at large and some possible ways back to the surface. The most apparent seemed to be Varealius' craft or a gateway found by a man called Dokkan, but they were also told they could speak with the Deephunters (skeane that know the area outside the city well) and/or consult the Datavault for more information. Their conversations were interrupted, however, when the bartender called for a drinking game and unwittingly insulted a teenaged girl - who then revealed herself as Thruird, the Russet, and began ripping appart the tavern with blasts of ice from her conjured mask...
- Upon engaging the crippled units, Aralakh's Assassin and Centurion found there were several others nearby. They destroyed the Jenner outright and have hammered a few other units over the ensuing exchanges, but they still face the Wolfhound and the mobile turret as well as a Clint that came in from the Northeast as well as a Hunchback and a Rifleman that were powered down in nearby woods along with some geurilla forces. Their opposition is badly damaged, but it remains to be seen whether they can withstand its firepower long enough to neutralize it.
- Aralakh made some hasty repairs to their units in preparation for their second, cleanup mission - a sweep across the surrounding countryside looking for stragglers and salvage. Most notably, Drevan found a cache of Lostech - including a pristine Phoenix Hawk - while chasing a pair of crippled units into a thick forest. Meanwhile, Jyun and Orion happened upon a limping Jenner, a mobile turrent, and a Wolfhound undergoing field repairs...
|Monday November 27, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper was on her way to convincing her assailant that he had mistaken her identity when malfunctioning machinery distracted them. Arcs of electricity infused her with some form of energy and hideously mutated the madman. She continued deeper into the Pipes and was jumped by a thief attempting to steal her pack. Piper managed to hold onto her belongings but not her footing, tumbling down a pit into darkness...
- Ronin and Ganthet were able to jumpstart the gravity cypher again, allowing them to push the power core down the mountain toward the plain. Wanting to make the most of whatever time it had remaining, they pushed on into the night and found themselves ambushed just after twilight by a tall, fierce, and 6-limbed creature...
- Having returned to the relative safety of Rethirra, Naran and Helios chose a new book - this time, one of the small volumes labeled with 'Alaeta' - a place they suspected might be associated with Earth. Linking through the book into a dark alleyway, they found their environment was filled with liquid rather than air, and in attempts to recover attracted the attention of one of the creatures dwelling. It quickly led them into the city to a place where they could be "decontaminated". In the subsequent conversations, Helios and Naran were pleased to discovered that they were, in fact, back on Earth - even if the specific location turned out to be a sealed city on the in the black depths of the ocean..
|Tuesday November 21, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper decided she would see what progress she could make toward the task the Order of Truth had set for her. Finding the storm-drain entrance the priests had told her about, she decended into the underworld known to the citizens of Rarmon as "the Pipes". She had a chance encounter with a strange fortune-teller with a glowing third eye who offered strange visions, wandered into some dark warrens, and eventually made her way into a surprisingly populated area before being accosted by a large man demanding she keep her end of some unknown bargain...
- Naran and Helios bolted back up the stairs as the doors burst open and two avian heads on long, serpentine necks surveyed the room and a cloud of thick, blue fog billowed outward. They were pursued by 3, smaller, 4-legged, bird-like creatures with two heads - presumably the large creature's offspring. The mind-altering fog they produced proved confusing to Helios who had some difficulty escaping it even while Naran called to him from outside while using her cutting light ability to keep the creatures at bay. When his escape was ultimately made, the two ran the final distance back to the top, barricaded themselves in the large office, and linked back to the library on Rethirra using one of the books they'd brought with them.
- Ronin and Ganthet found the town of Urnmoll was in disarray. A massive, whale-like creature floated over the town, raining shards of black crystal. The townsfolk seemed to be gathering possessions in preparation to leave - all except a handful trying desperately to repair the Hydrosource, and Seluxii who was preocuppied with Rell who seemed to be ill in some way. Their nejavin companion Vlorrex, seemingly able to understand the villagers' language to some extent, ended up staying to help them while Ronin and Ganthet proceeded to the place they'd stashed the power core. They attached the cypher Vlorrex had made for them and covered the large device with coats and bedrolls. The two somehow managed to keep the few villagers that attempted to speak with them on their way out from discerning exactly what they were doing - all except one particular old woman who simply eyed them suspiciously while suggesting they might not be on the right track. They got the device just outside the town when Vlorrex's device malfunction and the heavy core dropped unceremoniously to the ground.
- Though their Warhammer got caught out away from the heart of the firefight, some good fortune allowed Aralakh to not only come out of the engagement on top, but also to earn some impressive salvage on the operation.
|Tuesday November 14, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet fought off the murden ambush and then decided to take shelter inside the wreck once again so they could rest and Vlorrex could finish work on their gravity-negation cypher. Once completed, the trio set out for Urnmoll.
- Piper returned to the tower with Olim, and, after spending a couple of days examining the project, began work once again. At the end of the second day, their efforts were rewarded with some success as they were able to activate the machine's console on temporary power. Satisfied with this progress, Piper decided to take a bit of time off to learn more about the Pipes - where the Embassy wished to send her in search of a dormant device.
- Naran and Helios spent some time examining their options, and ultimately decided to use a linking book called 'Anumos'. On the other side they found what appeared to be the remains of a sprawling building used as some form of academy, along with linking books with similar titles. Near the lowest part of the complex, they found a chamber which Helios recognized as the area viewed through another book they'd seen weeks ago - but this thought was interrupted by the crash of something impacting the other side of a set of sturdy doors...
|Friday November 10, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios fought off some sort of discorporating, glass-breathing lizard creature and search the ruined study - finding several more of the books presumably capable of transporting them to other locations, in addition to a note referencing a crumbling civilization and a man they once met in some sort of time-distortion field.
- Piper followed Olim to the Embassy of Truth. After some explanation, the priests were able to restore her material state - at least temporarily. The priests seemed interested in Piper and her experiences, and suggested there was something she could do for them. Olim, however, pointed out that she'd already "promised" to assist him with the restoration of his "airship".
- Ronin and Ganthet made their way through the wreck back to the pod bay where they had Vlorrex begin work on the device they needed. Before he could finish, however, something in the pod ship they'd taken refuge within activated and automatons became active outside in the bay. They decided they should run for it, narrowly escaping the pod bay before the bay doors above opened and the pod ship lifted off. They made their way out of the larger wreck - only to find themselves under attack...
- Aralakh took out the damaged Jenner and continued to inflict significant damage to the Hatchetman, which is now barely operable. The Grasshopper and Dervish still remain significant threats, but they, too, are wearing down and nearby friendlies are keeping additional units from venturing into the sector. The FWLM trucks continue to load supplies from the located munitions depot, apparently safe from major threats.
- While they remain largely in control of the battlefield, Aralakh is anything but unscathed. Their next challenge will be in securing the area and completing their objective before one or more of their own units is crippled by enemy fire.
- The encounter with on-world Capellan forces continued as Aralakh engaged the newly-arrived Grasshopper & Dervish more directly, while the damaged Jenner circled back around and began harassing the trucks that had arrived to clear out the munitions depot. Several exchanges resulted in critical damage to both sides, and it became apparent that clearing the sector wasn't going to be as easy as they'd hoped.
|Tuesday October 31, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios spoke with the old woman for some time, learning a bit about the ancestors who created the portal books - which she seemed to regard as foolish and overly ambitious. As they were intent on finding their way home, she told them of the ruin of a library far to the south which may still contain some of these books preserved in unusual blocks of glass. After some discussion, they decided traveling there would be their next move. Upon arriving they quickly found the glass structures and their preserved objects - as well as a large and apparently-agitated lizard-like creature...
- Ronin and Ganthet made their way back through the ruin toward the pod where they'd left the nejavin. As they hurried through the ship, they were accosted by some form of mechanical humanoid which attempted to steal some of their gathered components, until Ganthet's electrified fist finally connected, damaging it enough that it withdrew.
- Intent on getting the inventor's attention, Piper began throwing his equipment around the work room - causing him much confusion as to what was happening. She was finally able to get his attention and explain her situation by writing on some nearby schematics. The inventor - whose name was Olim - told her that their best bet for reversing her condition would be to speak with the priests at the Embassy of Truth...
- Aralakh continued their push into the city, destroying a weapons factory, locating a power station, and pushing back the mounting resistance. They destroyed one tank and crippled the harassing Jenner, which fled the field. A Dervish and Grasshopper arrived in the sector causing them to regroup, but a lucky shot blew off the advancing Hatchetman's leg, further securing their advantage.
|Monday October 23, 2017 at 8:15pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet continued their exploration of the crashed vessel, eventually finding a shaft-like structure they believed to be part of the craft's power generator. They were beginning to harvest some components from the structure when it suddenly activated, sending a blue energy pulse down the tube, accompanied by some form of energy being that complicated their escape.
- Naran and Nimerun, having climbed back out of the hole where they'd activated the device, watched the bright blue beam firing up into the sky. As they were about to return to the old woman's cave, they heard a distant sound and noted another beam firing up into the sky a great distance away. Then a third. More sounds followed. When they returned to the old woman, she seemed to have all but forgotten the errand on which she'd sent them, though she was glad to hear they were successful. Their conversation was interrupted by a great roar, and Naran decided to go check on Helios...
- Helios and the girl made their way to the dormant "leviathan" with instructions on how to put it back to "sleep" or possibly keep it from waking. As Helios climbed up onto the creature toward its head, the girl began singing a strange, unnatural "song" and aggressive plants immediately began erupting from the cracks in the creature's hide. Helios arrived at a massive, opening eye and jammed the injector device into it. The girl began shrieking as the enormous creature stirred to life, partially lifting itself from the swamp. The dazed creature flailed after them for a few moments before the old woman's concoction did its work and the beast collapsed back into the water, once more unconscious. By this time, Naran had arrived and was already pulling the incoherent girl to saftey. The three of them returned to the village.
- Piper was still with the Angulan Knight and the priest when a man called Quince arrived. The Knight's patience barely tolerated the man, but ultimately they came to an agreement: she would be permitted entrance to the city in exchange for pursuing a man wanted for the murder of a local noble. Piper, still seemingly invisible and intangible, followed them into the crowded city, but decided to go her own way once inside. While heading further in, she happened by a tall, misshapen tower when some sort of "incident" happened inside causing thick, blue smoke to issue from all visible windows. A man appeared at the door, coughing, and was quickly accosted by two guardsmen who seemed to chastise of threaten him. The guards left, but before the man withdrew, he made brief eye contact with her. Piper decided to follow him inside - moving through the door in her immaterial state. Finding him working on some device at the top of the building, she attempted to get his attention. He seemed to be able to see (if not hear) her - that is, until he removed his goggles...
- As they made planetfall, Aralakh was briefed on their objective: they would be entering a sector of an urban industrial area looking for targets. Any supply depots were to be held until they could be cleaned out. Production, research, and repair facilities were to be destroyed to cripple the Capellan war effort in this region. Resistance was expected to be light to moderate; mech forces were known to be on-planet, but probably not in large numbers. As they approached the edge of the city, engagements had already begun elsewhere. Thus far, resistance was a bit more than anticipated, but not problematically so. They were also warned of incoming contacts to their position, and that guerrilla forces had been observed.
- In their initial advance, Aralakh located a factory and a munitions depot, destroyed a 20-ton Stinger and a building concealing a laser weapon, and maimed a retreating tank.
|Monday October 2, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet continued deeper into the wreck they were exploring, coming upon a processing bank of some kind. While scavenging for parts, the scattered debris began assembling itself into towering construct which assualted them. A purplish, tentacled creature then approached them, finally convincing Ronin to take a bite from its bread-like outer flesh. Consuming this part of the creature seemed to sate it in some way, but Ronin the last hour or so of his memory replaced by a scene of burning wreckage.
- As the caravan awaited inspection outside the city, Piper witnessed an heated exchange between the town guard and a well-armored woman who'd flown up to the city on a large, reptilian creature. The Xi-drake seemed able to see Piper, and made some movement toward her as if to investigate until the disagreement at the gate became physical. An Aeon Priest arrived on the scene and had some success diffusing the situation. The caravan was permitted entry, but Piper decided to stay and listen to the conversation between the priest and the Angulan knight. Apparently, she had come from Dynafel in search of a varjellan fugitive.
- Naran proceeded through the village after the spick whom she'd been sent to assist by the old woman. The two of them dove into a large circular pool and made for a metal artifact protruding from its center - apparently the source of the painful pulses that were emanating through the settlement. After some doing, the two were able to stop the pulses by more fully activating the device, which was now firing a bright blue beam up into the sky.
- Helios, meanwhile, took a small boat out of the village to the south and was gathering red flowers for the old woman when he noted some bubbles in the water moving in his direction. As he was rowing himself back to the village, a massive, plant-like creature erupted from the water and began flailing about. The creature made his escape difficult, but he ultimately returned with the needed blooms. The woman mixed into the concoction she was making, loaded it into a strange, gun-like device, which she handed to Helios - sending him and a strange girl into the swamp to the south, telling him they must put the "Leviathan" back to sleep...
- Aralakh met up with the so-called "Capellan Insurgency" holding their crew members hostage. The situation clearly being under their foes control, the company decided to go through with paying the ransom after ensuring their crew would be returned and they could all walk away.
- After resolving that situation, the various merc companies being employed by the FWLM forces were briefed on their mission: they would be lifted to the Yunnah system where they would be looking to destroy newly-developed research and repair facilities on a backwater world 2 jumps into Capellan space.
|Tuesday September 26, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios continued south along the waterway, eventually arriving in Quei after a brief encounter with some gate-keeping automatons in the canyon. The town occupied a series of docks and platforms suspended over a swamp. The townsfolk were less than helpful, but the two eventually found their way to The River's cave, where she immediately set them to work on some seemingly-urgent task with no explanation.
- Ronin and Ganthet rested, further discussed their next action, and spoke with Vlorrex. They decided their best bet was the power core they'd stashed outside of Urnmoll, and if Vlorrex could cobble together some form of null-gravity cypher to make transportation easier, they could probably managed to get it out of town. Vlorrex then sent them out into the wreck to scavenge for parts where they came upon some sort of lab containing large tanks of reddish liquid and a mass of malfunctioning, mechanical manipulator arms.
- Piper survived the explosion but found that she had somehow become invisible and insubstantial. No one was able to hear or see her, and interacting with objects had become difficult. The caravan reassembled after the ordeal, made camp, and spent a considerable about of time scavenging the remains of the beast and the Hearth before setting out early the following morning. Piper decided to continue on with the caravan and, after about another day an a half, they all arrived at the gates of Rarmon.
|Tuesday September 19, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios spoke with their otter-man friend again as they rested in preparationg to dive into the 'forbidden waters' in search of a way to access a starship they'd been told of by The Sisters. He showed them a book he'd taken from a fallen Yefort raider - one that contained a black view-panel like Helios' "broken" volume. He suggested they go to Quei and talk to "The River".
- Ronin and Ganthet explored the vault-lined hallway connected to the cargo hold of the small crafted they'd found within the wrecked carrier. Among other things, they found a small by exceedingly heavy coin, a jacket and some wood and metal staves, and a strange rectangular book containing a viewport overlooking a rock-lined pool in a redwood forest.
- Lengthy discussions on next moves insued.
|Monday September 11, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Agan emerged from the crowd around Naran and Helios, claiming they had brought ruin to the village and accusing Eufren of aiding in the destruction. When it became apparent public opinion was going south and Agan and his henchment wished to do them harm, Helios pried up some floorboards inside the central ruin and the two escaped by diving into the waters beneath and swimming out. At Helios' direction, they made for the woodlands containing the otter-man's home.
- While Ronin and Vlorrex attempted to activate the consoles to reconstruct the nejavin's body, Ganthet took a look around in the surrounding chambers, and found they were directly above a massive bay containing some sort of space-faring craft. When Ronin engaged the final switch to activate the equipment, a short set off a power surge in the craft accompanied by a dramatic shift, which pitched the vessel downward a further 20 degrees. Making their way to the craft bay once the floors stilled and the nejavin's head was once again reunited with its body, the trio made their way into the ship they had found within the ruin. It contained a control room in near-perfect condition, obviously-nonhuman crew quarters, some unusually empty pods, and a large hold with a loading door open to a large hall lined with vaults...
- As the Centurion joined them, the company took a quick look at the destoyed tanks. Finding nothing salvageable, they decided to withdraw and chalk up the win instead of pressing their luck by assaulting the compound in the mountains above.
- Short on funds, the company sent a priority message to their next prospective employer, a FWLM division, saying that if they would spot them the c-bills, they could take it out of their paycheck. After some brief negotiation, they agreed.
- Aralakh arrived at a military base on the world of Ohrensen some weeks later. They were advised to stay on the base as the city outside was known to have some problematic criminal elements. Their ship's crew, however, wanted to take the leave while they could get it, and convinced them to go into town.
- The evening went well for most of them, but a few disappeared as the night wore on - only reappearing later in hostage photos of the so-called "Capellan Insurgency", delivered to the base with a demand for ransom. The irate sergeant told the company to "handle this" or their contract would be terminated.
- Meanwhile, Rip arrived at Galatea and met with Magistrate Brandt about the dispensation of liquid assets from the defunct Buller company. While not a negotiator by nature, Rip managed to dig up a few pieces of info that helped his cause, and ultimately left the meetings 1.75 million c-bills richer.
|Tuesday August 29, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet followed the nejavin's head to the wrecked craft wedged into giant crack where the mountain had split open. They navigated its interior until they found the place where the creature's body had been trapped. On the way, they encountered a colony of mouse-like creatures which seemed to take some interest in them - until they reached a room with strange puddle of a viscous, acrid substance and some rotting, tentacle-like appendages protruding from it. They glitterbombed the room with a detonation Ganthet had been carrying and hurried through. When they reached their destination, they found the nejavin's body separated into several pieces and suspended in the air, but apparently functioning as though it were still whole.
- Naran and Helios met with The Sisters who told them of a craft in planetary orbit that might be able to return them to their homeworld - and also that a means to reach it might be found in the "forbidden waters" of the valley outside the village. The two were then presented with a small, translucent cube and told that it would be necessary if they wished to use the spacecraft, but when Naran took the device, the Sisters vanished and their chamber transformed from the white stone building it had been to a plain, sandstone ruin that more closely resembled the rest of the village. When they emerged, they found Eufren wide-eyed and demanding to know what they had done...
- Piper and one of the hunters attempted to destroy the rampaging beast with a cannon-like numenera device the caravan had been carrying, but it malfunctioned after discharging only twice, though that was sufficient to attract the creature's attention, and it smashed into the wagon - splintering the vehicle and sending the device flying. Seeing their one method of injuring the creature lost, the hunter retreated, but Piper had another idea. Short-circuiting the damaged artifact and bypassing its power regulators, she caused it begin building up a catastrophic charge. With the help of some others nearby, she loaded it onto a wagon and shoved the unstable device toward the monster as the others fled. The resulting explosion was more powerful than she had anticipated, however, and ripped through the beast, the landscape, and the remainder of the camp before she had time to react...
- After a couple of months of rests and repairs, the group sends Rip to Galatea to pursue his share of the defunct Buller Company's liquid assets. Needing to replace their lost unit, the company decides to pursue Jyun's suggestion of travelling to Phact where he happened to know of a Centurion posted just for show.
- On arriving in-system, the plan was to use a small mech force to draw out the compound's conventional defense forces while Jyun and a small contingent approached stealthily on foot to climb into and steal the mech.
- The tank forces Aralakh's Panther and Assassin encountered were more competent than expected, and they took some significant damage before they could adjust their tactics.
- On visual, Jyun was surprised to find someone preparing to take the Centurion down to engage in the ongoing battle - and moreso that he was speaking to the pilot of the Whitworth standing across from it. Knowing that these pilots would not only keep them from acquiring the Centurion according to their plan but would also be seriously bad news for the battle raging below, Jyun and his companions opened-fire on them.
- After quickly felling the pilots with some fortunate shots, Jyun ran for the Centurion, activated, and escaped with it - though not before losing an arm and his heavy weapon to AC/10 fire from the compound's turrets.
- By the time he met up with his companions' units below, the Panther and Assassin had gained ground and the tanks had withdrawn. Though they took some pretty significant damage, the mission was overall a solid success - their first in some time.
|Monday August 21, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- Naran and Helios helped defend the village of Mekel against the raiders and their presence now seems to be generally accepted by most of the settlement. Eufren suggested that they speak to The Sisters, who they're told are leaders of the community.
- Ronin and Ganthet managed to force the murden to retreat further up and in to the nest. While Ganthet watched for a coming ambush, Ronin freed the skull-like creature who told them of the ruined craft further up into the mountains which the murden had been scavenging.
- The caravan Piper was accompanying arrived at a waypoint with a large crystal that radiated significant heat. As camp setup was completing, she left the site with a few scouts who found a small caffa swarm and decided to go hunt for goldgleam. As they were heading back, however, they became aware of a huge creature terrorizing the encampment...
|Monday August 14, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin and Ganthet set off to find the murden. The hike up into the mountains was arduous, but eventually lead them to a small plateau tucked into the cliffs where they found dozens of rough columns of various diameters but all about 75 feet tall. Between the columns were stretched various hides and insect carapaces, forming a sort of multi-leveled nest. They approached to attempt to speak with the abhumans, but were ultimately ambushed when they entered the area.
- Piper had some time to rest and was eventually retrieved by a humanoid that had sets of tentacles in place of arms. He lead her from the room...and that was the last thing she remembers of that place. The next thing she recalls is being awakened by a group of travellers atop a column-like structure somewhere in the south of the Pytharon Empire - a name she happens to recognize as being a kingdom in the Steadfast, which lies across the Black Riage and hundreds of miles from her home.
- Helios attempted to communicate with the otter-man who had invited him in, but didn't have much luck. The creature's responses were unintelligible and somewhat odd. Eventually he fell asleep, only to awaken a short time later with the otter-man standing over him. He then began asking Helios questions, apparently in The Truth(?), about where he came from and what he would do. When Helios told him he was trying to find his friend and return to their home planet, the creature took him to Mekel - which was under attack.
- Naran spoke for some time to Eufren and Motof about the books, the planet they're on, and the surrounding area, before an alarm from somewhere in the village startled her hosts. Racing outside, they found much of the settlement already in flames as a raiding party from the nearby, sinking village of Yefort descended upon the town...
This is a new game we put together for my brother-in-law Michael. He wants to run a Fate game himself, but is having a difficult time getting people together. Also, while he's read the book, he wanted to see how it plays out at the table.
We had already decided on a "traditional" fantasy genre, but we set up the remaining game aspects collaboratively as suggested by the Fate Core rulebook. What we came up with was a high fantasy setting, based on a lost civilzation, where magic is being corrupted and the PCs need to find out why - or at least how and stop it.
[Michael] Jace - Soldier without a Kingdom
[Jese] Cassia - Quick-witted Huntress
[Sheri] Talia - Itinerant Historian
[Tony] Cooper - Acquisitions Expert for the Second Dawn
The group heard rumors of a cult that was speeding the corruption of magic in the world - and that they might be based in the ruin of a small keep in a forest some distance to the south. Upon arriving, they were met by a group of goblins fleeing from an angry ghost. Cassia was able to catch one of them and get from it that they were working for a sorceror, mining gold beneath the keep. Goblins inside the structure itself were more hostile than terrified, however, and the group had to fight two of them off before they could proceed deeper into the ruin...
- While the two stranded 'mechs managed to escaped their pursuers and made for the designated LZ, Aralakh's desperate bid to clear the zone for the battered dropship took a turn for the worse. As damage mounted, Steiner attempted to intimidate the opposing units into surrunder, but they knew they had the upper hand. Riley's Trebuchet sustained critical damage to the reactor core - which exploded catastrophically - and Jyun's Panther took some unfortunate leg hits which all but remove it from the field. Fortunately, the forced-retreat of one of the Clints and the massive damage the enemy Archer had taken were enough for the opposing force to reconsider the assault and withdraw.
- Aftermath: Riley's Trebuchet was a total loss, though Riley herself was able to survive the incident (albiet in poor spirits). Steiner is having some growing doubts about the viability of the merc company long-term. That said, the beneficiaries of their rescue have brought a Union dropship to Aralakh, as well as a Crusader and an Assassin with their pilots and techs. In light of this, the company has decided to release the Leopard from their service on good terms. They are now going to spend some time resting and repairing before taking on a new contract.
|Monday August 7, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Through some cleverness and good fortune, Ronin was able disuade Seluxii from pushing them out of the village of Urnmoll. The group of them proceeded to have a conversation about recent events and the party's goals (hopefully without giving too much away). The key points discussed were the murden that raided the village and (likely unintentionally) summoned the craft that took Piper, and a man said to be the foremost expert on power supplys residing in the steadfast. After a rest, Ronin and Ganthet decided to go after the murden in hopes that they can learn something of what happened to their friend.
- Unable to find a suitably hidden location in the floating village, Helios decided to swim to a wooded shore to the north. There he found an otter-like humanoid who invited(?) him into its dwelling for food and rest.
- Naran used her cutting light to stab at the octopoidal creature pursuing them while she and the boy escaped the remaining distance to the surface - which turned out to be under some section of the floating settlement. He led her to a building where another man was apparently waiting for them. The man gave Naran some sort of potion that rendered her unconscious, but when she awoke, she found she could speak to and understand them. She was in a village called Mekel, and the man's name was Eufren. He seemed very interested in the fact that she was an outsider and where she came from. He told her that their ancestors had once traveled between worlds very easily, but he didn't know how they had done it. Naran's stories about the books that had transported her and her friend fascinated him.
- Piper decided to spend some time attempting to repair her burned-out headband artifact while waiting to see what would happen next. After several hours, she was interrupted and lead (apparently) out of the craft she was in and into some other structure. There, she was taken to a massive chamber where several entities locked deep within some sort of crystal asked her a myriad of questions about herself and her world. Her responses were clever and informative, and so The Seven (as they called themselves) took a particular interest in her. After some time, they suggested that they would speak more, but that she and they required rest...
|Tuesday July 25, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Multiple drones and automatons (or possibly, armored entities) emerged from the cylindrical craft and began a sort of harvest of the surrounding village. Using stunning and tranquilizing weaponry, they subdued Piper and Ganthet, though only the former was actually taken.
- Helios made a quick exit from the chamber where the robotic entity was tending to the thirsty machine. He hadn't made it very far when he heard the sounds of the reptilian cats pursuing him. Upon reaching the pool where he'd entered, he once again encountered a strange, hovering being with heavy robes and one large, mechanical eye. It asked several questions of him before sinking back into the pool.
- Naran resisted the octopoidal creature's pushing for her to use the linking book it was presenting to her, and after it left in frustration, attempted to swim to freedom. The distance and pressure of the water soon proved too much, however. Fortunately, she found another "pocket" of air near the point where panic was starting to set in, and managed to reach it before blacking out.
- Aboard the craft, Piper suddenly found herself in her room back in Arable - or, at least, a very close approximation. The door and window were impassible and everything felt slightly "off". She was missing any functioning cyphers or artifacts that appeared technological, but otherwise seemed unharmed.
- Helios leapt into the pool after the his questioner, and began swimming "down" and away from the cat likely still pursuing him. It was a long, hard swim back to the surface, but he somehow was able to succeed. He happened to notice a boat lurking in the shadows some distance from him before swimming for the village.
- As she recovered Naran was briefly visited by a boy in some sort of swimming gear. They had a brief "conversation" in which little was communicated (due to the language barrier) before he left again. A couple of hours later he returned, however, this time with an additional breathing apparatus. As the two of them made the long swim for the surface, the octopoidal creature found them...
- Having taken Piper, the cylindrical craft lifted slightly before de-materializing. As the panic in the village began to calm and Ganthet regained consciousness, Seluxxi approached he and Ronin, demanding they leave the village - declaring to those around her that these outsiders would not help their village as some had hoped, and that they cared only for what they could take...
|Monday June 26, 2017 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Helios became disoriented in his dive and surfaced, but found himself in a dark cave. Using an electricity artifact for light, he found his way into a chamber where some sort of robotic automaton was apparently "feeding" human blood to a massive machine. He spoke for a while with the robot .
- Naran chose not to struggle against the man who was threatening her, and instead watched the faces of the growing crowd he was addressing - their expressions seemed to vary between fear, anger, and uncertainy. As his address resolved, someone else grabbed her and put something over her face. She had the vague sensation of splashing into water before she lost consciousness. She later awoke in some sort of air pocket within a small room in a ruined building surrounded by water. After some time, she was visited by a large octopus-like creature that produced another of the strange books - this one overlooking golden spires piercing upward above a sea of clouds - offering her a means of escape for a vague "price".
- Piper and Ganthet spoke some more with Seluxii, though her suspicion continued to increase. A few of the townspeople seemed convinced that these outsiders might be able to help their dying village and, on their behalf, Seluxii somewhat-disingenuously asked them if this was so.
- Ronin finally arrived in the village and was greeted with obvious fear by the villagers - parly due to recent events, and partly due to his now-more-monstrous visage. The presence in his mind urged him to react violently, but he fought to refrain. Ronin was able to calm the villagers somewhat and ultimately rejoined his companions - who were shocked to see him alive, and moreso at his somewhat-disturbing change of appearance.
- It was at this moment that a massive, cylindrical craft appeared in the sky above the village projecting a column of bright blue light downward into the streets. Several of the villagers - ones with orange tags like the one on Piper's arm - seemed to think heading toward this light would be a good idea...
- Having successfully captured assets for NAR, Aralakh was finally released on so-so terms. Their most pressing concern was treating Drevan's injuries, so they took their chances staying in-system and going to the hospital. The company repaired what they could, but were short on supplies.
- A few months later, they jumped back into Free Worlds space to a more populous planet where they were hoping to repair and resupply. On their way in-system, however, they picked up a distress call from a merc dropship in orbit around one of the system's planet's moons.
- In exchange for the distressed company's remaining liquid assets, Aralakh agreed to get the company's surviving units out of trouble on the planet. They made a few low-passes in the target area before directing the survivors to a promising LZ northwest of their position.
- While the survivors continued to fight off the pursuit mechs that had been hunting them for the past few days, Aralakh attempted to clear the landing site - which, unfortunately, contained a hostile presence formidable in the face of Aralakh's severely-damaged condition...
|Sunday June 18, 2017 at 8:30pm||little fears, the dark spiral, game session notes, trogland||Comments (0) »|
- Dee Dee, Lexi, Sheri, Mandy (and her little brother Mace) made a new friend on their neighborhood playground - a boy about their age who was new in their part of town.
- While playing tag, they realized too late that this boy didn't know something: you do NOT go down the old, metal, spiral slide on the edge of the playground unless someone is waiting for you at the bottom - if you do, you don't come out. The slide takes you to the Bogeyman's dungeon - where you stay until he eats you.
- As the new kid dove into the slide while running from Mace, they saw dozens of gnarled claws reach out and snatch him out of this reality.
- Mandy's mother took the children back to her house for their sleepover, but something dark was following them, and stephen seemed to be calling to them from wherever he was taken. Shadows of goblins harassed and grabbed at them in the basement, and the girls ended up huddled in Mandy's room - slowly falling asleep.
- They found themselves next in a shared dream, at the base of the slide, before a yawning maw of a hole with a rickety wooden stairway. From its depths, they heard a muffled cry and a malicious laugh...
Adam is joining our game, and we spent this evening making two PCs for him to add to Tim's company: an experienced former House Regular who pilots a 45-ton Assassin, and a newbie Noble who has a 65-ton Crusader.
These characters will a fragment of a decimated merc unit looking to join up with someone else - and Aralakh will be the convenient choice. They will be bringing their 'mechs as well as a beat-up Union dropship into the company's assets.
- Drevan's strike team invaded the dropship. They sustained some casualties, but were ultimately successful in capturing the ship, as well as the damaged Hatchetman in contained, and the two incapacitated Jenners outside - making for a pretty respectable salvage haul.
Continued playtesting on personal scale combat this session. How I ran the session aside, the system behaved well and played out the way I would want. That said, it's a little bit too clunky and I think I'm going to make a few more tweaks to it.
- Piper and Ganthet found themselves amidst a murden raid on the village of Urnmoll, also involving a large, crab-like, mechanical contraption smashing its way through the village. The murden were eventually driven off, and the robot, after sustaining some damage, folded itself into a small sphere. The two considered making a break out of town, but decided to stay to see what they could learn.
- Ronin found his way out of the cave he and his friends had originally entered and decided to continue through the mountains toward the village. On his way, he began to perceive a beckoning presence which led him to a small, glowing cave. Upon seeing his reflection in a pool, he became aware that he was no longer alone in his head.
- Helios and Naran fought with the aquatic predators, attempting to drive them off. Naran found her way into one of the boats and was brought back to the town built on the ruins protruding from the lake, but Helios had dived back into the water in an attempt to find one of the missing villagers. About the time Naran realized Helios had not come back, she was grabbed from behind - and found a knife at her throat...
- NAR continued the defense of their compound, eventually destroying 3 out of 4 of the attacking units - unfortunately causing two of them to catastrophically explode, leaving no usable salvage for the Resistance. Hopefully Aralakh's attempts to capture the attackers' drop ship produces a more tangible gain...
Adam continued this encounter with us, and will likely be joining this game on an ongoing basis.
|Tuesday May 30, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin awoke, alive but debilitated and surrounded by silver insectoid creatures. Over the next day or so, he made his way back out of the ruin, slowly recovering strength. During this time, he noticed that patches of his skin all over his body had been replaced by red scales.
- Ganthet spoke with the apparent leader of the village of Urnmoll, a woman Seluxii. Her suspicion of his activities in the region seemed to increase as he answered her questions with partial-truths.
- Piper spoke with the old woman for a while, learning that the town's water-producing artifact had recently ceased functioning, and that many in town were worried.
- Naran and Helios toppled from their perch above the rushing river when the bird-man from the previous world followed them through into this one, sending all three of them into the river and over a tremendous waterfall.
- Ronin reached the cave in which the group took shelter from the glass storm, and found himself attacked by a black puddle - apparently the remnants of the tentacled creature that had previously harassed them.
- The relative peace of Urnmoll was suddenly disturbed by shouts, screams, and mechanical pounding and whirring coming from one corner. Piper was ambushed by some form of avian humanoid, and Seluxii left Ganthet apparently trapped in a room with a vanishing doorway.
- Naran and Helios found what appeared to be a fishing town built on partiall-submerged ruins in the valley into which they'd been deposited. As they swam for the approaching boats, they were attacked by some sort of aquatic reptile...
- Using assets "borrowed" from Aralakh, NAR attempts to fight off the mercenary lance sent to destroy them while Aralakh furthers its efforts to capture the merc's Union. The Resistance managed to take out the crippled mercenary Clint and the enemy Whitworth has virtually no armor remaining, but Aralakh's Warhammer is severely battered and the Trebuchet is now out of missles...
Adam joined us for this session, so we decided to play out the latter half of the previously "off-camera" engagement of mercs vs. NAR in order to introduce him to the defining mech combat aspect of our Battletech campaign. After this encounter resolves, we will return to Aralakh's attempts to capture the dropship, which have now moved into the personal-scale boarding of the vessel.
- Naran and Helios continued fractured communication with the birdman, who seemed intent upon fixing some part of the inner workings of the tower and/or island, and reacted negatively toward any action they took that might even superficially damage it. Deciding there was nothing remaining for them in that place, they made their way back to the book Naran had previously found, using its viewport to travel to the world on the other side.
- Ganthet and Piper made their way through the ruin to the lowest exit they could find. Waiting till dark, they lowered the power core before descending themselves. Concerned over what the townfolk might say if they were found with the artifact, the two hid it in a cleft of rock nearby. As they approached the only way out of the rocky depression, Ganthet was spotted by the two guardsmen and taken down to the village - Piper followed along behind.
- Aralakh neutralized the mech defenses of the merc dropship and blew open one of the loading doors. The lance then called in their strike team, led by the temporarily dispossessed Drevan, who proceeded to board the vessel for capture.
- After Naran and Helios finished their rest, Helios suggested they investigate the bubbling pool which he found to be breathable while Naran did not. While Naran spent some more time investigating the machinery in the hollow of the island, Helios ventured down into the water-filled chambers below where he found what appeared to be a city populated by enormous frog-people. He also met up with the bird-man they'd first encountered, who returned to the chamber with him.
- Ronin, Ganthet, and Piper, meanwhile, attempted to cross the gravity-less chasm with their power-core while avoiding harassment and attack by the vanishing and re-appearing serpent. Unfortunately, their counter-attacks eventually agitated the creature to the point that it disrupted the null gravity field, sending objects plummeting into the chasm. Noticing the signs, Ronin managed to push Piper and the power core to the relative safety of the far wall, but in so doing failed to reach it himself - and fell into the darkness below...
- As NAR began engaging the mercenary force sent to take them out, Aralakh's partial lance emerged from their concealed location, making their way to the merc's LZ in an attempt to capture their Union-class dropship...
|Monday April 24, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios investigated the top of the tower, where they found an hive of bugs averse to bright lights and some control panels that seemed designed to operate the tower's machinery.
- Piper, Ganthet, and Ronin escaped from several pursuing monstrous centipedes and found some time to rest. Attempting to find their way back out of the ruin, they happened upon a vast chasm which seemed devoid of gravity - and also contained some form of ephemeral, shape-shifting serpent...
- NAR prompted Aralakh to go raid a Capellan noble's compound for much needed hardware and supplies. The group was only able to send a few mostly-repaired light mechs as the others were still in bad shape, but their target was not believed to possess mech forces. They engaged a trio of tanks, a pair of helicopers, and some turrets. As they finished loading up their plunder, however, they were pressed by a pair of aerotech fighters and a pair of approaching mechs. In the end, Aralalkh took significant damage but managed to escape with most of the desired equipment.
This session was the first to use my simplified Battletech vehicle rules mods. Tim and I both thought it went very well.
|Tuesday April 18, 2017 at 8:30pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Ronin, Piper, and Ganthet found their way up into a chamber containing what they believed to be the complex's power core - the device they had come to retrieve. As they approached it, however, they found themselves confronted by a monstrous, transdimensional, crustacean-like entity guarding and feeding off the power source.
- After Naran's discovery of the portal book, she and Helios decided they should find their way to the top of the tower to try to reactivate the dormant machinery. The managed to open the iris at the top of the underground chamber, granting them access to the tower once more. What they did not notice, however, were the two bird-men lying in wait. The ambush jolted them both with electricity, and caused Helios to fall back onto the platform at the top of the chamber, which began wrenching free of its supports due to the impact.
- The monstrous creature the group had found by the power core began attacking the intruders with its massive claws and spewing a burning, plasma-like substance from its dozen or so eyes. The group used several artifacts and cyphers they'd acquired since entering the complex to fight back, shattering bits of its thick armor and occassionally punching through. Ganthet decided to use the green detonation artifact Polious had given him, which caused a thick and animated forest to suddenly spring up in the area. The aggressive plant growth slowed the creature down, but proved to be more dangerous to the adventurers - especially to Ronin who was moving amongst them - as the group had to contend both with the hostile plants and with the fires set by the crustacean's dripping red-hot plasma.
- While Helios attempted (with some difficulty) to climb back into the tower from the failing support, Naran did her best to fight off the bird-men, trading bright blasts of forceful light with the electrical arcs firing from the avian's energized spears. After Helios managed to re-enter the tower and Naran had incinerated the last of their foes, they looked up at the large vine/tree structure and the crystals growing from it, suspecting that it could be used to gather energy from the world's hot suns if they could figure out how to reactivate it.
- Just as Ronin was stabbed by some sort of poisonous plant which rendered him unconscious, Ganthet's final shots against the monster managed to penetrate the armor under its head. Shrieking, the beast collapsed to the ground, spewing plasma from its eyes - which in turn further ignited the plant matter beneath it.
- Ganthet and Piper darted past the growing flames into the area beneath the power core. Ganthet made some efforts to revive Ronin, but seemed only to make his fallen friend's condition worsen. Acting quickly, Piper successfully connected a power regulator she had constructed to the conduits feeding the power core, and then began the delicate operation of detaching the core from the surrounding eqipment. Unfortunately, the group didn't have time for "delicate". Piper did what she could to prevent any instability due to the disconnect before slicing through the adjoining cables. She held her breath for several moments before the dim blue glow returned and stabilized in the core's interior.
- The group entered Under The Bed and met Lady Von Snoot, an old ghost who asked for their help entering her home (the cemetery called Dead Center). They also heard some strange, distant voices that turned out to be the mountains they were on asking for help finding their third twin.
- Upon arriving at the cemetery, the group found it to be the site of an ongoing investigation. Inspector Grumbles told(?) them that all the flowers had been stolen from the graves (this had upset Ms Schnauser horribly).
- When they looked around, they found some paperclips, thumbtacks, bent stables, and a post-it note that read: "Bob - Bob bob bobob bob bobobobob bob bob. - Bob"
- The inspector recognized this as the work of Bobgoblins. He asked(?) them to go to the goblins' corporate HQ to talk to Big Wig and get the flowers back.
- Then things turned ugly. An LRM volley from Riley's Trebuchet destroyed the Hunchback completely, but Steiner's Blackjack was too close to avoid damage from the reactor explosion it triggered and it fell when it lost its gyro. Aralakh then attempted to negotiate a mutual withdraw, but were unable to convince their attackers. The Banshee's continued press on the damaged Trebuchet took down the smaller mech with a kick that obliterated one of its legs and then charged over to finally incapacitate the fallen Warhammer - which was still firing PPC blasts - with a kick to the head.
- Seeing little alternative, Aralakh surrendered. It turns out that their attackers were self-described freedom-fighters attempting to liberate the planet and remove the nobles' predation on the world's resources at the expense of its atmosphere.
- The New Andrin Resistance press-ganged Aralakh into their service - promising that if they helped the rebels kick the Capellan nobles off-world, they would return them their mechs and the two could part ways.
- As the exchange continues, it becomes clear that neither side can keep this up for long - but neither side has a clear advantage either. The battle has moved away from the Warhammer such that it has some difficulty engaging, and the Blackjack is greviously wounded. On the other side, the Banshee is pretty beat up, but its toughness is keeping it at the top of the threat list. The Hunchback now has only a small laser, but the relatively-untouched Wolfhound has started to have an impact on the fight.
- The company continued to trade blows with their assailants. The Banshee's luck improved only briefly, and Aralakh's opponents may have been considering retreat before the Hunchback, its AC/20 now destroyed, got a lucky laser shot against the Warhammer's already badly-injured leg, taking it down. The Cicada has already met a similar fate, and the Hunchback and Banshee both have significant injuries that have greatly reduced their damage output. Unfortunately, Steiner's Blackjack isn't looking much better, Riley is only just starting to land some hits with her LRMs, and Jyun's injuries have made him less effective.
|Monday March 20, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Naran and Helios attempted to communicate with the earnest-seeming bird-man, but were ultimately less than successful. He did lead them to a hidden chamber full of devices he'd gathered but, apparently, had no particular knowledge of. He left by way of a bubbling pool, and the two decided to get some rest.
- Ronin, Piper, and Ganthet continued into the ruin they'd found, soon encountering a vast area overgrown with blue plant growth. The sweet smell of the plants seemed to affect the minds of the party, causing Piper and Ganthet to seek out and activate machinery with visible but indecipherable results. They also encountered several giant centipede-like creatures.
- The bird entities apparently gone, Naran and Helios spent some time exploring the interior of the island and its machinery, eventually finding that some of it seemed to "connect" to a 'portal book'.
- Attempting to outrun their insectoid pursuers, Ronin, Piper, and Ganthet ended up at the top of a large cylindrical vault, where they found another portal book, some arms and armor, and a room that simpily glowed for no obvious reason. At the bottom of the chamber, they found a passage leading deeper into the complex from which they could hear a dull hum, as well as one final vault door smeared with some kind black, pitch-like substance...
|Monday March 13, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- After some brief discussion, it was decided that Helios would follow Naran into the book and the others would continue into the ruin to locate the power core.
- Naran and Helios found themselves on top of a small island about 400 feet above the surface of an unknown ocean. Two suns blazed overhead, making it difficult to see through the brightness. The island contained a tower full of machinery and a strange vine-like plant growing crystals. As they investigated, they were attacked by some group of bird-people with spear-like weapons that projected arcs of electricity. They fled up the tower, but found themselves trapped until another one of the bird-people "flew" them to a large cave-like entrance at the base of the island where they discovered it to be mostly hollow and full of ancient non-functioning machinery.
- Ganthet, Ronin, and Piper continued up into the ruin above the overgrown library. As they made their way through its interior, they encountered some sort of automaton guarding a sealed doorway. Apparently they triggered some condition in its programming, and the machine attacked. The resulting battle battered, burned, and froze the three, but they were ultimately victorious.
- Aralakh engaged in combat with their assailants. Steiner in particular has been extremely fortunate that the Banshee's pilot is having a run of bad luck. He was less fortunate with regards to the Hunchback's AC/20. Riley has yet to prove herself, and Jyun is hurting enough from his near-death experience that it is severely hampering his performance. Still, the group has given at least as good as they've gotten thus far...
|Monday March 6, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Discerning that the tunnel of ferns proceeded in the direction they were attempting to travel before the glass storm hit, and believing that the ferns themselves may indicate the presence of a ruin similar to the one at their home, the group decided to leave the aneen in the cave and follow it.
- The picked their way through the winding tunnel for almost 9 miles, encountering a few caverns (including a large one with a tree and clouds) and several other passages. There was a faint, warm breeze blowing through the tunnel - all the tunnels proceeding southwest toward its source were overgrown with purple ferns whereas other passages were not.
- Having pursued these phenomena all the way to its source, the group found part of some kind of buried building, broken and overgrown with the purple ferns itself. One of the chambers had a large hole in the corner of the ceiling, through which various wires and conduits hung loosely which opened into a set over chambers and corridors reminiscent of the "B Dome" they'd explored.
The room they were in seemed to Piper to be some sort of library. Beneath the ferns were shelves containing the remains of many strange, rectangular books. She couldn't read them, but her ability to decipher suggested they described locations in great detail. A few of those in the best shape had window-like screens on their first pages, showing a specific, unfamiliar location. The glowing panels gave odd sensations when you touched them. While attempting to discern some sort of use or a way to "activate" the one of the books, Naran placed her palm over the glowing panel and suddenly vanished. Looking down at where the book fell, Ronin could see his friend standing in the scene depicted through the window...
- A few weeks after the processing plant sabotage, a group calling itself the "New Andrid Resistance" attempted to assassinate a couple of the members of Aralakh company. While the overall attempt failed, it was a miracle that Jyun survived.
- About two months later, the company gets an alert while on patrol: a lance of 'mechs is approaching the compound. They load up and head out, facing a Wolfhound, a Cicada, a Hunchback, and a Banshee...
This was the first session to feature my Mechwarrior Basic rules for personal-scale combat. It is very lethal (as I wanted it to), but it played very well.
|Monday February 27, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (2) »|
- The group ran south behind the herd of aneen, fighting their way through the fleeing beasts and the larval worms pursuing them. When the adult worm caught up with them, Piper scarred it with a plasma cypher, but the monster killed one of their pack animals as they attempted to flee. It was Ganthet's "liquid air" artifact that enabled them to finally escape.
- Once in the mountains, the group was beset by a violent storm of glass. The group took shelter in a shallow cave, along with several dozen dog-sized beetles apparently native to the area. During this time, Ganthet fell deeper into the cave, where he found an underground stream, a tentacled monster, and a tunnel lined with the same purple ferns that grow around their home of Arable.
- Aralakh arrived on the mining planet and took up their garrison duty.
- One night about 5 months into the job, a few of the small security team Aralakh had subcontracted witnessed an odd exchange between one of the compound locals and some outsiders. Following them, one of the men saw the outsiders give the local a large backpack. The man then proceeded to his job in a refinery. About 20 minutes later, alarms sounded and the place was evacuated. While authorities were attempting to determine what had caused the alarm, there was a tremendous explosion and the building collapsed.
- The Baron who'd hired Aralakh was furious at the sabotage, but the company was able to maneuver around his accusations.
- With the help of the subcontracted team, Aralakh was able to track down and capture the saboteur, who had apparently been paid to place the explosives but knew little of his benefactors.
- Aralakh stepped up internal security in response to the incident.
|Monday February 13, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- After treating their wounded aneen as best they could, the group gathered the remainder of thier possessions and set out again. The animal slowed their progress significantly, however, and it was after dark before they reached their destination: the on oasis on their route through the desert.
- As they approached, they noticed two things. The first was a brilliantly-glowing, blue-purple, diamond-shaped object floating above the oasis. The second was the fact that the oasis was occupied by several different groups of people.
- As they refreshed their animals and made their camp for the evening, the group spoke with several of the others there and learned that each of them had a wildly disparate understanding of the surrounding world - to the extent that Naran and Ronin suspected that perhaps the area occupied some confluence of time and/or reality.
- Just before dawn, the diamond-shaped object began to pulse and vibrate. After a few minutes, the object collapsed in on itself - seeming to draw everyone and everything else occupying the oasis into itself before vanishing.
- Observing how much their wounded aneen had slowed their progress and believing speed to be essential, the group voted to use Helious' healing artifact on their injured animal.
- Packed up again, the group continued their westward journey for the next couple of days - approaching the gathering clouds near the looming black mountain range and fighting the oppressive heat.
- As they neared the foothills in the shadow of the jagged mountains of the Black Riage, they happened upon a sizable herd of wild aneen making its way north along the edge of the hills. The clouds above were beginning to arc with purple lightening. The group was still approaching, intending to pass the herd to the south, when an enourmous cragworm erupted from the earth ahead of them, bellowing its hunger...
|Monday February 6, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group set out to the west, crossing the northwestern region of the Gathmund Scrublands before exiting them into the wide, flat expanse of the desert flat that lie between them and their destination.
- On the second night, the group awoke to suddenly find themselves in a dense forest. Margr fled through their camp and something large was approaching from the north. As they attempted to calm the aneen, a massive bison-like creature emerged from the surrounding trees. It was gushing blood from a wound in its side, making thick red pools wherever it stepped, and the creature held a miniature-sun-like fireball in its mouth which licked flames out toward anything living.
- The group grabbed what supplies they could and attempted to flee, but the aneen Piper and Ronin were riding was panicked and uncooperative. It fell on its side, throwing Ronin off before bolting the opposite direction. Unfortunately, this took it right past one of the lingering margr, which put a nasty slice in its right leg - causing it to fall again and Piper to lose her tenuous grasp on the animal. The giant buffalo plodded onward, seemingly unaware of them.
- Piper and Ronin were able to make short work of the lingering margr still prowling the area, while the others rejoined when the beast had passed. As they gathered their now-blood-covered supplies, the group discussed what should be done with their injured animal.
- Aralakh took their payment and left world, deciding to jump into Capellan space to avoid potential political issues selling "acquired" Free Worlds' military hardware.
- A baron met with them under false pretenses - not interested in buying their mechandise, but wanted to hire them on retainer for guard duty on a secondary planet in-system.
- The group negotiated up to 500k for the year, plus the baron will cover all repairs and normal expenses. Additionally, the baron agreed to hire a broker to aid them in the sale of their unneeded merchandise. The group also has 50% salvage rights, but as there are no other mechs on their world, it seems unlikely they'll get much.
- Aralakh took the opportunity of having a benefactor to bring on a new mechwarrior: a woman called Riley who pilots a Trebuchet.
- Overall, while not especially lucrative (or exciting), it seems like a nice, easy contract...
|Monday January 30, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group continued their discussion with Polious about their upcoming journey and some of the potential difficulties they may encounter.
- The following day was the third day of the yearly Eves festival - the evening of the big feast and a time for making important announcements about the upcoming year. Among others of various kinds, Polious announced his assistants' journey to a far-away place in order to recover desperately-needed components for the town's faltering artifact. The group enjoyed the feast and spent some time talking to various townsfolk about their upcoming quest.
- After the Eves, the group spent a few days preparing for their journey before heading out. As they left the town, accompanied to its edge by various family, friends, and well-wishers, they noticed that the farmland looked noticeably parched...
- Both sides continued to pound each other for several rounds, severely damaging multiple units.
- Ultimately, the pirate leader proposed a deal: they would leave the system and not return - and would leave the merc a prize of valuable military equipment - in exchange for an end to hostilities.
- After considering the situation carefully, Aralakh agreed to their terms. The pirates proved true enough to their word.
- The company's employer was not completely satisfied with their results, though they had technically fulfilled the contract and the pirate threat was gone (at least for the time being). Compensation was renegotiated for half.
- After taking the contract, Aralakh headed out to the mine abandoned moon where the pirates were said to be hiding out. Not liking the hemmed-in approach from the main road to the south, they decided to put their dropship down on the plain to the north even though it meant more rugged terrain between them and their target.
- As they approached the mine from above, first contact was made with the Jagermech perched atop a hill. The Commando entered as the mercs engaged, with the Dervish and Stinger arriving after a couple of exchanges.
- Aralakh took some hard hits early in the confrontation, but have so far managed to avoid being crippled. The destruction of the Commando has evened the playing field somewhat, but they still have an uphill battle. If they don't get a break soon, they may need to pull out or risk more than their contract...
|Monday January 16, 2017 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Piper, Naran, and Ronin headed down into the guts of the Weathervane while Ganthet and Helios remained with Polious in the control room, attempting to keep things from getting out of hand.
- The three descended into the structure, noting more and more of a strange, acrid-smelling black oil as they made their way toward the inward. Outside the vault itself, a large stream of the stuff poured down the wall over wires and conduits - among which were dozens of eyeless rat-like creatures.
- A couple of townsfolk approached the Weathervane, looking for Polious to address an issue in town involving a strange device, and hostile spreading plant growth. As he was still unable to see and Helios had been more weakened by the day's events, Ganthet was sent to address the problem. He found some sort of artifact producing a thick fog and causing shrub-like plants to grow. When he activated it, the ground began to vibrate violently. He found himself outside of the town by several miles, and watched as large sections of earth some distance to the north rose out of the ground and floated above it.
- Once inside the vault, Piper found the Weathervane's power core and attempted to disconnect it. Unfortunately, this seemed to cause a runaway reaction resulting in the core's explosion. Piper somehow managed to escape the brunt of the blast.
- The explosion of the power core radiated energy throughout the town, instantly burned away the stormclouds, and ultimately resulted in a total blackout as all power drained from the ruin.
- Over the course of the next few weeks, Polious, the others, and the rest of the town attempted to pick up the pieces. Polious managed to cobble together a replacement power source for the Weathervane and once the rain cycle resumed - even though it was irregular and somewhat less than sufficient - the townsfolk began to relax. Polious and the others, however, know that the current arrangement is underpowered and anything but stable.
- A few days later, the Eves festival begins. This is marks the new year in Arable, as well as the first few days of the planting season. The group spends the first day of the celebration with their individual families, spending time together and exchanging gifts. Polious also visits each, giving them gifts of his own.
- The second day of the Eves is a time of planning for the new year. For most, that means talking about what crops to plant in which fields, which animals to breed, and other such things. For Polious and his associates, however, this conversation looks very different. Polious tells them he's learned of yet another ruin similar to Arable and the "B Dome" (which is now known to be a sphere, and is floating about a hundred feed above the ground along with some chunks of nearby landscape). This one is about 10 miles into the mountains of the Black Riage, near a village called Urnmoll. It, reportedly, even shows signs of continuing power. Arable needs a new power core. The Weathervane will not survive without one, and if the Weathervane doesn't survive, the town is doomed. Further, Polious is unable to leave the town - the artifact is too unstable. The others are going to have to do this on their own...
|Monday December 19, 2016 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group hurried toward town, only to find the north gate held closed by a massive mutated plant. When the group attempted to cut the struggling gate mechanism free, they found that deformed plant also possessed bladed tendrils and often emitted psychic shriek when injured. As the group fought with the plant creature, an errant shot from Ronin deactivated the gate completely and a massive tendril grappled with and ultimately once-more panicked Naran's aneen.
- As the others hacked and burned away at the plant, Helios worked on phasing through the door to assist from the other side. He successfully reached the other side, but not before sustaining further injury to his already battered body and mind. Though significantly debilitated and possessed of only a rudimentary knowledge of the Numenera, he somehow managed to reconfigure the gate's controls to bypass the circuit destroyed by Ronin's arrow and opened the gate.
- The group reunited and reached the malfunctioning Weathervane, but the situation was quickly worsening. Even with help, Polious was unable to stabilize the artifact. His blindness preventing him from doing himself what was quickly becoming obviously necessary, he handed Ronin the key to "the Vault" and sent the group into the guts of Weathervane to shut it down...
- Though their new recruit gave them an in-system raid target with a decent opportunity to steal a solid battlemech, the company commander decided the timing was wrong and instead ordered repairs to begin on their damaged mechs as they made their way back to the jump point to head out of system.
- Upon returning to their employer, they collected the rest of their pay, finished their repairs, and received two offers for new contracts from others: one involving eliminating a pirate lance in a nearby system, and another recruiting merc units for a larger campaign offensive assaulting an undisclosed Capellan world.
- After some discussion and weighing options, the company decided to go pirate hunting...
|Monday December 5, 2016 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group decided it would be best to recover the panicked aneen before heading back, but Polious and Helios were in no condition to assist. Being somewhat beat up himself, Ronin volunteered to stay with them while Ganthet, Naran, and Piper pursued the animal.
- The chase led them back up into the forested hills a couple of miles away, where they encountered a giant, fin-shaped ruin and some hostile, hovering automatons n addition to the few hounds pursuing their pack animal.
- Meanwhile, Polious, Helios, and Ronin encountered a strange being completely covered by thick robes except for its large, mechanical eye. The entity babbled in several different languages in addition to the Truth, and spoke seemingly random bits of information or observations before disintegrating before their eyes.
- Naran manged to grab the harness of the panicked aneen, climbed up onto it, and managed to calm it down while Piper and Ganthet fought off the remaining hounds - the automatons having apparently disengaged.
- The group rejoined at their camp - now with all of their animals - and made their way back to town. They were approaching the edge of Arable's farmland when the storm that had been gathering finally unleashed...
- +2 xp
|Monday November 28, 2016 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Seeing the growing agitation in the chance moths, the group began attempting to scramble up the rope. Outside they were confronted by a pack of broken hounds - one of which was massive and seemed to twist and distort as it growled.
- The moths triggered something in the chamber which began causing strange environmental effects. While Ronin climbed the rope, Piper investigated the surrounding machinery and found that shorts in the controls seemed to result in her ability to terraform the immediate area.
- As the group fought off the smaller hounds, the huge one closed and happened to pick out Polious as its first target, grabbing and flinging him aside.
- As the situation with the hounds outside worsened, Polious called for withdrawl. Piper had a more difficult time escaping the ruin as the rope which had been worn on the jagged edge of the hole finally snapped. Ronin threw a rope down to her but wasn't able to tie it off quickly enough and Piper would likely have pulled him in if Ganthet and Naran hadn't come to his aid.
- Polious recovered from his tumble and, seeing the severity of the situation and the massive hound threatening his companions, raised his damaged rifle. The weapon discharged but seemed to overload, radiating explosive energe outward. The great hound was severely burned, but so was Polious - badly enough on his face that he was blinded.
- The group left the site as the hounds fled. They returned to their camp to find that one of their aneen was about half a mile across the plain, being harrassed by a few other broken hounds.
- +2 xp
- After a few intense exchanges and significant damage to both sides, Aralakh succeeded in bringing down the Awesome. The pilot of the mech survived and turned out to be an exiled noble of some sort. He offered them information that would aid them in exchange for a place among their company. Aralakh agreed to this on a "trial basis".
- The company bribed and called in the strike team that had been sent with them to round of the remaining personnel at the base. The noble had warned them of fanaticism, but the team still took some losses while performing the task. The group stripped some supplies and equipment from the base and then returned to the primary objective at the R&D facility.
- The strike team recovered 3 experimental/prototype "pulse lasers" from the facility. The leader of the strike team, having been bribed already, offered to sell Aralakh up to two of the lasers recovered for the Duke.
- The company used its Warhammer to carefully (if inelegantly) salvage the fallen Panther for rebuild & refit.
- As they were preparing to leave the system, their new "recruit" informed them that there was another ripe target in-system...
|Monday November 14, 2016 at 8:00pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Polious activated his transmitter artifact, sending a message to Piper and her companions to join he, Ronin, Naran.
- On their way, Piper, Ganthet, and Helios were ambushed at the top of the descending shaft by abhumans of some sort, apparently living in the bowels of the structure. The creatures were savage, gaunt, and where their faces should have been was only the base of a writhing tentacle.
- While Polious began examining the glowing power-artifact, another trio of the abhumans attacked him, Naran, and Ronin.
- The insuing battles were chaotic, as their assailants attacked in an uncoordinated, frenzied fashion. One of the abhumans attacking Ganthet and his companions activated some sort of gravity cypher, which caused anyone and anything within the shaft itself to become weightless. Another assaulting Naran and the others in the room below activated a cobbled artifact which missed her, sending a bright, white beam into the surrounding structure, exploding several metallic "pods" the group assumed were capacitors of some sort. This seemed to adversely affect the power-artifact, increasing the instability of its already dangerously-overloaded state.
- At Ronin's insistence, Polious set to work attempting to stabilize the pulsing blue power source while the others fought off the remaining attackers. Just as the battle concluded, Polious released the power build-up in the device, sending power out into the ruin. To his dismay, however, the core itself burned out - the pulsing, blue-sun-like glow collapsing in on itself, leaving the cylinder an empty, glass shell.
- The group spent some time gathering components from this room, as they had specifically come for power-distribution parts. When they were finished, they made their way back toward the "entrance" area, noticing that many of the rooms and passages were now lit and active with various buttons, screens, panels, and other, more incomprehensible controls or interfaces. They noted much that could be salvaged and investigated, but time was against them as they suspected more abhumans may be emerging from the depths of the complex.
- At the entrance, they noticed the Chance Moth hive was now very active - flying around the room, feasting on the enegies provided by the newly-supplied power. As they made ready to ascend the rope back out of the complex, they heard the unfortunately-familiar keening of a pack of Broken Hounds from outside - and something very, very large slam into the top of the structure...
- +2 xp
- Aralakh pursued the fleeing light mechs back to the mostly-decommissioned military base. After a few brief exchanges, they managed to take out the Locust and the Hermes - but about that time, they detected an engine power-up in one of the hangers. After a few moments, sensors were able to determine it was an assault mech - an 80-ton Awesome. Despite - or maybe because of - the fact that they couldn't get much salvage from the Hermes after its ammo explosion, they decided to stay and see what they could do against this new foe, particularly when they noticed it didn't seem to be operating at peak performance...
|Monday November 7, 2016 at 7:45pm||numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group journeyed with Polious to the "B Dome" - a secondary site which seems to be very similar to the structure around which their town of Arable is built. As such, it is a trove of spare parts. They were looking for "crystal fuze couplings" to replace some key components relating to the Weathervane's power distribution, but are always on the lookout for anything else that might either be of use or able to be made into something useful.
- Upon descending into the ruin, Ronin encountered a rather large hive of Chance Moths, attracted to a numenous light Naran had created. At Polious' instruction, the lights were put out and the group carefully moved away from the entrance further into the dark while Naran distracted the hive by illuminating a large metal panel in the opposite direction.
- After a brief discussion in the corridor, the group decided to split up to cover more ground: Helios, Piper, and Ganthet continued down in that direction, while Polious, Naran, and Ronin went back through entrance area and through a partially-open doorway.
- Helios, Piper, and Ganthet found a grassy area in the metal ruin which also contained a large tree with glowing geometric designs on its leaves. It seemed to interact with nearby machinery in some way - affecting the immediately-local plant life and/or weather/environment when they interacted with it. In addition, they discovered a stone chamber full of shelves and charred, rectangular books. Piper found 4 seemingly untouched and took them with her, and discovered at least one of the mostly-burned volumes seemed to have some kind of static charge within it. After investigating the area, Piper set to work disassembling sections of the machinery, salvaging several promising objects before she began inadvertently triggering it.
- Polious, Naran, and Ronin found a large laboratory area. Polious set to work scavenging the equipment for useable parts while Ronin and Naran looked around the room. Ronin found a bank of large, cylindrical, glass tanks (only one of which was still intact) and Naran soon discovered pools of liquid on the floor and ceiling which were dripping into each other. While she marveled over this, a pseudopod from the lower pool grabbed her, and pulled her up off the ground. Ronin worked to free her and Polious shot the creature with his powerful rifle-like Numenera weapon - which, instead of evaporating it, caused it to harden into a pink-white crystalline material (from which Ronin cut a section to take with them). From there, the three proceeded deeper into the complex. At the bottom of a 170ft shaft, they found a black door behind which hummed some sort of impressive, glowing artifact...
- Tim's company was hired by a Free Worlds League duke to hit a small Capellan military R&D facility on an otherwise-insignificant border world. Intelligence indicated the nearby military base was all but decommissioned and they expect no more than a few light mechs and a pair of turrets as in terms of resistance. Aralakh is to neutralize defenses and allow a strike team (they're transporting) to enter the facility and extract technology.
- Tim rolled rather poorly during contract negotiations and is only being compensated with a forward of 45,000 for operating costs, 25,000 for mission success, a potential 50,000 bounty on significant tech recovered - BUT, they do have full rights to any salvage they have time to pull out, which could pay off nicely.
- The jumpship transporting them says they will remain in-system for 17 days. At the standard jump points, the target world is about 8 days travel at 1G. Aralakh pays the captain an extra 5,000 to jump just a little closer to the ecliptic, shaving a day off the interplanetary travel. They should have up to 3 days on-world. Extra time comes at 10,000/day.
- Upon reaching the site, they found it defended by a Locust, a Panther, and a Hermes II - which is actually a medium mech. After a brief skirmish, they took the Panther down and the two remaining units retreated. Seeing no evidence of additional resistance, the unit held off on calling in the strike team and instead decided to pursue the fleeing units for more potential salvage.
|Monday October 24, 2016 at 8:00pm||new campaign, numenera, mysts of the ninth world, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
Setting: The Ninth World, The Beyond, Arable
Players: Sheri, Tony, Adam, Tim, Keara
Finally starting a Numenera campaign! Been waiting for this for two years! Very excited!
The party is a group of young adults from a small town in the Beyond called Arable - a wasteland farming community based around a weather-control artifact. They will begin as assistants to an Aeon Priest called Polious, and tasked with assisting in the maintenance of the Weathervane, scavenging for parts, and generally discovering the Numenera.
- Narangerel "Naran" [Sheri] is an Inquisitive Nano who Possesses a Shard of the Sun
- Helios [Tony] is a Stubborn Jack who Exists Partially out of Phase
- Piper [Keara] is a Manipulative Delve (Seeker) who Makes Something out of Nothing
- Ronin [Tim] is a Wasteland Jack who Explores Dark Places
- Ganthet [Adam] is a Weird Glaive who Rides the Lightening
|Tuesday October 18, 2016 at 8:00pm||new campaign, battletech, aralakh company, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
System: Battletech / Mechwarrior Basic
Setting: The Inner Sphere
Schedule: Occasional Weeknights
Aralakh Company will be a strategic-level Battletech RPG/playtest that Tim is helping me with. I loves me some Battletech and I haven't been able to get a full group together to start a game (not for lack of trying) - so, instead, Tim and I are playtesting a "Mechwarrior Basic" RPG companion ruleset I've developed as well as feeling out the logistics of a Succession Wars era mercenaries campaign. Since it's just me and Tim, it will be light on the RP and mostly focused on game mechanics, battletech map combat, and strategic level decision-making.
My version of the Battletech universe is about .5-1 steps removed from canon. I leave most things as-is, but there are a few minor alterations to "the way things are" that improve the setting in my view. In addition to using my own Mechwarrior ruleset, I've made a few minor mods to the tabletop wargame and have come up with my own simplified versions of some other game-relevant areas.
"Aralakh" was the name Tim gave his merc company, having stolen it from a video game.
- "Steiner", a guy born into a merc family who inherited and/or split off to form his own company; Pilots a Blackjack.
- "Drevan", a friend of Steiner's who comes from the family of a house regular; Pilots a Warhammer.
In addition to the two "PCs" and their mechs, Aralakh also has a leopard-class dropship owned by the hired captain, a few techs for upkeep on the mechs & vehicles, and some light support equipment. They're also starting with a small supply stockpile for repairs and reloading, but it won't last them forever.
Character creation rules seemed to work reasonably well, especially the random aspects. The "average" starting character might be *bit* too skilled out of the box, but we'll see how this develops.
|Monday October 10, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
There's a time to pray / and there's a time to fight / anything can be a weapon / if you're holding it right
- Emory, Carter, and Sara began heading north - back to the marina to get their cars and hurry to the train station Aaron had described. On their way, they encountered a deformed Leon Catch, obviously corrupted by some dark influence. Not wasting words, he immediately attacked them, proclaiming they must die. He had a fairly strong upper hand until Sara was able to find some manifestation of his corruptor lurking in the Twilight. That connection disrupted, Catch burst into flames and burned to ash in seconds.
- As Jordan hurried through the woods, he found himself running with deformed, ghostly wolves. Slowly converging on him, they somehow warped space around themselves, leaving Jordan in front of the train station.
- Aaron had a brief run-in with "Jason" - the supernaturally-influenced many Carter, Emory, and Sara had spoken with before. He criticized the groups interference in things over their heads and eventually headed off to the north as Aaron continued south to the nearest bridge over the river.
- Aaron and Jordan met up at the train station and sneaked inside. They spied several gang members hanging out - and one that had, apparently, been shot by the others on the platform. They found the main hall of the station covered in webs, and 11 skeletons suspended in them.
- When Aaron, Emory, and Sara arrived, the 3 gang members present became aware of the group's presence and a brief firefight insued. One gang member was gunned down, and the other two fled in short order.
- The group converged on the main chamber, where the massive, distorted spider appeared - clearly agitated. Some of the group engaged it with gunfire - Jordan's "blessed" bullets offering some aid - while others attempted to dislodge the skeletons. The spider's attentions seemed clearly divided. The group eventually killed it, but Sara warned them that it was only its physical form that was destroyed. To keep it dead, they would need to recover and bury the skeletons as they had done the other two.
- By this time, the police were arriving. Sgt Bryonson seemed interested on keeping most of them out of the way, however. The group was escorted to the station, where questions were asked and answered. After a long night, they were released, and they set about making sure the spider demon did not return.
Having rid the city of the beast at the heart of the drug problem and the spider transformations, they were, perhaps, surprised that their lives did not significantly improve. Most lost their jobs over the next few weeks or months, always on shaky reasoning, and they continued to observe hints of the supernatural haunting them. Also, the Man in the Pin-Striped Suit was still out there somewhere, with his inscrutable motives.
Eventually, they all received a letter:
"We have been observing your activities for some time, and you show some promise. Welcome. Stand by for further instructions."
The letter was "signed" only with the logo of a black bird with one, large, human-like eye - overlayed with the single word: SCARECROW
End Chapter 1
|Monday October 3, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- As the black clouds above began to pour cold rain on them, the group set to work attempting to quickly dig some sort of grave in which to bury the bones they'd recovered, believing the lack of a proper burial for them is contributing to the spiritual unrest in town.
- As they made progress, the storm picked up and 4 wolves emerged from the forest. Believing the wolves to be connected to other events, the group attempted to avoid fighting them even though they displayed hostile behavior. Aaron got some sort of message from the wolves suggesting that something the group was doing was weakening them. When he petitioned for more information, something in the wolves changed - three of them ran off to the northeast, the other turned and retreated to the south.
- While Aaron and Jordan pursued the wolves, Carter, Emory, and Sara buried the bones. The Man in the Pin-Striped Suit appeared again, asking if they were sure that's what they wanted to do. He told them their actions would make them powerful enemies. The group largely ignored him, but he didn't interfere - disappearing after giving a final warning that there was no "going back".
- Jordan pursued the wolf to the south and encountered the ghost native the group had seen several times previously. Attempting to commune with the spirit, he began to meditate. The action seemed to engage the ghost, who passed on several impressions of the past.
- Aaron followed the other three wolves north to a place in the most run-down area of town at the heart of the storm which had moved over New Auburn, watching the shadow in the clouds above descend into an abandoned train station.
|Monday September 19, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group met at the marina the next morning with the intention of locating and recovering bones/skeletons that believe have some connection to past events. Jordan had rented a pontoon boat for the day, and had brought a number of "supplies" designed to combat or subdue any supernatural dangers that might present themselves. Once the others arrived, they set out onto the lake in their boat. They quickly found themselves driving in and out of thick pockets of fog being driven by the wind.
- Near one of the deepest parts of the lake, they found a mostly-whole skeleton floating on the surface. It began to break apart as they gathered the bones into the boat. As they attempted to maneuver the boat to gather the remainder of the small bones, they noticed they were drifting toward a patch of lake water deep in the fog that seemed to be bubbling.
- As they drifted into the bubbling water, the boat's engine died and bone fragments began to fall from the sky like rain, gradually increasing in side. As Emory and Aaron worked to get the boat running and others attempted to gather more bones they found floating in the water and scattered around the deck, shadows began to appear in the distance around them and overhead. The boat began to corrode and fall apart around them. The depth-finder read 9999.
- Emory managed to get the boat running as the indistinct form of a massive, spider-like creature emerged from the fog above them. Its carapace writhed and dripped with some dark liquid. It's round maw shrieked behind monstrous fangs and the eight, translucent yellow eyes that hovered in a ring above its head seemed to burn with yellow flame.
- Aaron managed to force the boat backward out of the bubbling water and away from the creature even as it tore the canopy from the craft. More concerned with escape than direction, he ran the boat all the way up onto the shore - the same place Carter had found himself after his hospital blackout.
|Monday September 5, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- After taking a couple of weeks to recover, the group once more began investigations. Carter, Emory, and Sara went to the run-down lower-east side of town to ask questions of the guy that found Carter in the lakeside park and took him back to the hospital.
- Locating the man took some time and "negotiation". When they did found him, he at first seemed unimpressed and uniterested in the their conversation. After moving to a somewhat more isolated location, he began to talk to them a bit more openly.
- The group learned little from the man regarding the questions they had - they did learn, however, that he himself had something of a supernatural nature. He told them that he had laid low for decades, doing his best to avoid the supernatural darkness that seeped into various corners of the world. In his experience, engaging that sort of evil only made things worse - and he strongly advised the others to follow his lead.
- Meanwhile, Jordan did his best to obtain any useful objects or materials that research and folklore suggested might be helpful in confronting the perils of the supernatural - and rented a boat in preparation to attempt to recover the floating bones Carter had seen on the lake...
|Monday August 22, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Whle Sara, Jordan, Emory, and Carter were all receiving treatment, Aaron decided to go back to the West Tenements to speak with Bethany about buying some of her charms.
- Bethany was quite intoxicated and seemed to have been crying. She became fixated on Sara and the watch and pleaded with Aaron to convince Sara to give her the watch. While they were still talking, Aaron heard gunshots. He arrived outside in time to see a man hurled through a glass tile wall by a massive, glowing humanoid wolf. The creature did not give chase, but Aaron and the man - who turned out to be the fugitive Elijah Sims - decided to leave the area anyway.
- Back at Sims' hideout, they talked over the things that had been going on. Sims knew nothing about "spiders" or "Niatha", but did know the local gangs were up to something bad. He had been hunting a small werewolf pack in the city for some time - his success in killing three of them so far had earned him a reputation as a serial killer. Sims agreed to offer whatever help he could as long as Aaron didn't tip off the department as to his whereabouts and activities. He did stress, however, that he had his own problems.
- Aaron returned to the hospital and told the others about his early-morning adventure. The group took the next week or two to fully recover. Nothing major happened while they laid low, but small incidents which they felt were related to the "problem" continued to bubble to the surface. They needed to form a plan. They would have to act on something - anything - and soon...
|Tuesday August 16, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Carter dragged Emory back into the room and pulled out the gun she still had on her as the man burst in. As the nurses and doctors followed him in, Carter decided to engage the massive guy in hand-to-hand instead of shooting. They traded a couple of blows before Carter tossed the gun on the bed where Emory picked it up and shot the man and he collapsed.
- Things weren't going much better back in the alleyway where the giant spider had attacked Jordan, Sara, Aaron and the injured man. The group strugged to get away, and were cut off from the injured man in the alleyway. They had mixed results fending off the persistent spider, but eventually made it back to Aaron's patrol car - though Jordan had to be carried. The creature attempted to stop the car from driving off and nearly succeeded in prying the roof off the vehicle before Aaron was able to drive them all to safety.
- Back at the hospital, the group reunited - several of them in pretty rough shape. After some treatment, Sara got a phone call around 4am. It was Owen. He told her he'd found something - some clue about their situation. He told her the only way to free an individual or environment from a demon's influence - short of somehow destroying it - was to close the door it came through...
|Monday August 8, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Sara, Jordan, and Emory had an interesting conversation with the priest Owen and his sister Crista. They had experienced some odd things themselves, and Owen showed them some photocopied pages of some old, partiall-burned documents that his predecessor had left him - documents that seemed similar to the occultic 'book of prophesy' Sara had found references to.
- Meanwhile Carter was visited again by the man who'd given him a ride back to the hospital. He said he'd gone back to the shore where he thought Carter had come from - and he saw some of the same disturbing things. He cautioned Carter not to pursue any of that too far, only saying that it was 'bad stuff'.
- Aaron went to meet his mysterious caller later that night. He was picked up in a limo and driven around a bit while "Sam" talked to him. Apparently, this man was a rival of Leon Catch, and wanted the police to know whatever was going on with the new drug Leon had been selling, they weren't involved and wanted the cops concentrating on Catch's territory (the East side).
- When he returned, he re-joined Sara and Jordan who'd been watching from nearby. Sara had heard something in an alley and was making her way to investigate. She found an injured man who seemed strange in some way. As they approached asking if them man needed help, the group of them were ambushed from above by a large, spider-like creature.
- Carter and Emory were awakened at the hospital by some commotion in the hallway. Emory stepped outside and saw a crazed and massive man pushing his way down the hallway against the efforst of nurses, aids, and doctors to restrain him. When the man saw Emory, he became enrage, grabbing a nearby metal cart and hurling it at her.
|Monday July 25, 2016 at 8:45pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan, Emory, and Sara made their way to the St Monessa Catholic Church at 8550 Newfield. After entering and looking around, Jordan and Emory decided to go up and talk with the priest while Sara hung back to observe. Jordan had been experiencing minor but worrying "reactions" since they entered, but these drastically intensified when he caught sight of a girl sweeping up in a corner of the sanctuary. At that moment, something seemed to trigger in the building resulting in the sound of a high-pitched, howling blowing through the building and the numerous candle flames becoming much taller and agitated. The young priest was momentarily shocked by this, exchanging a looking with the janitor, before pulling a gun on Jordan and demanding to know what he was. The two tried, now much more urgently, to explain some of what had been going on. The priest directed them out of the sanctuary, through the building, and into the crypt beneath it.
- Deep in the crypt, the priest was accompanied by two faintly-glowing men in white robes - one of whom was sent for the janitor. The other pushed Jordan into a small circular room and bound him to a worn wooden board with silver manicles. The janitor returned with two of the men in white robes and took up a position in the room, pulled out a small book from her clothing, and began singing. Emory demanded answers, eventually pulling her own gun on the priest who was now standing behind a sort of podium. When he began reading aloud in a strange language, Emory fired over his head. The priest remained focused on his task, but the shot did startle janitor who briefly faultered in her song. It was then that Sara, who had been stealthily observing from the shadows, emerged to place a hand on Emories arm. "It's an exorcism..."
|Monday July 18, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan's call to Sara telling her he's on his way woke her from unconsciousness. She was soaked with lake water, but the building appeared intact. Sara took another look around the now-peaceful house. She didn't find the book she was looking for, but did locate some volumes on the Arapaho containing burial practices, and a scrap of paper mentioning Father Brogan at St Monessa Catholic Church.
- After Emory got off work, the group met at the hospital in Carter's room. They had a lengthy discussion on what to do next, during which Aaron received another call from the dispatch telling him that somone had just called from the same payphone. Aaron called the number back and, after identifying himself, was told "here, 2am". Jordan, Sara, and Emory decided to go to the Catholic Church, leaving Carter alone in his room to recover.
- As Carter slipped into sleep, some part of his subconscious nearly panicked, recalling that sleep in this hospital has rarely been peaceful. He woke up to find himself in a log cabin with an elderly native woman who asked if he would listen to her when his grandfather had not. She told him that the "demon" must be stopped; banished; destroyed. It had preyed upon the community for too long, and many of them could not rest peacefully in their deaths. He saw a brief glimpse of what must have been the past from his window before his hospital room light came on and the vision faded.
[new players Ken, Terri, Erica and Zach]
- Angel and some *other* new friends were summoned to Princess Strike's Castle Alley on account of a horrible noise keeping everyone awake. The terrible moaning sounds was coming from somewhere in the junkyard behind the castle.
- While investigating, some of them encountered large bug-like creatures that tried to steal things from them - one of them made off with Terri the robot's arm!
- The group followed the sound to a little cave house in one of the piles of junk, where they found an old, broken robot called Rus Tee sobbing and crying loudly. He told them that he was upset because one of his eyes was missing.
- Suspecting the bugs, the group followed them to their hive where they found a giant robot bug being powered by the sad robot's glowing eye. Erica the spy snatched the eye and made her escape while Zach "Fast-Speeder" wrestled one of the bugs for his toolbelt.
- After fending off the rest of the bugs, the group returned dthe eye to the robot, who stopped moaning so everyone could get some sleep.
[published NTYE adventure; new players Amanda and Jared]
- Angel and some new friends were invited Out the Window to Princess Strike's Bowling Ball. They arrived early to find Professor Wizbang demonstrating his time machine, only something went wrong and it summoned a dinosaur, a pirate, and a robot from different time periods - and each of them made off with a piece of the broken machine!
- The group tracked down the fugitives and the missing buttons and managed to put all to right before the ball.
- Angle, Maria, and Markus made it up to a room full of treasure chests, where they discovered a merfaerie had swiped the wand and was causing trouble with it - she animated the treasure chests even turned Markus into a giant crab!
- Stacking the treasure chests, they chased the sprite up into the top floor bedroom of the coral tower, where Maria grabbed her.
- The group returned the wand to the fish, called Marlin, who poofed his tower back to the sea and apologized to Woodlynn, who gave him some special honey to help with his cough.
|Monday June 20, 2016 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Carter took stock of his surroundings, noticing a partial(?) human skeleton on the shoreline amongst all the dead fish. His best guess placed him somewhere on the eastern shore of Lake Meijer, at least several miles from civilization and exposed to the elements. Seeing little option, he started on the hike back to the park where he talked his way into a ride back to the hospital.
- Sara took Carter's car and staretd on the drive out to his place. On the way there, she called Bethany who all but demanded the watch from Sara, but wouldn't exactly say why - only that it belonged to someone important to her. Sara wondered why she didn't seem to be so desparate when she'd first seen it. She made it the rest of the way to Carter's house, where she encountered the restless and angry spirit of a native american woman.
- Emory was called out to a house near the college, to what seemed to be the aftermath of a large house party. Kirk was already there talking with the landlord. The paramedics had been called to the scene for a young woman who was, by this time, lying dead in the kitchen of the house - her hands covered in black paint where she had drawn multiple, large eyes on the wall.
- Jordan made some phone calls to the others in the group, and then headed over to the house Sara had found in Kim's notes. The guy he met there seemed mostly interested in getting rid of him, but eventually divulged that he had once been a sort of middle-man in the employ of Leon Catch, taking money and arranging meetings between customers and Catch's dealers.
- Aaron remained in the hospital, still quite injured. He did get a phone call from the station, however, indicating someone called "Sam" was trying to get ahold of him...
Markus [Tim] :: An Astronaut
- Angel, Maria, and Markus are called by Queen Woodlynn to investigate a tower that suddenly appeared in the Honeypot Ballroom.
- They are teleported inside (with some minor side effects) and soon discover a fish-wizard with a cold. He didn't know his tower had been moved and asked them to fetch his wand so he could fix the problem.
- The wand was missing, and the kids suspect it might have been taken by mischievous hands.
- While searching for the wand (or whoever has it) in the laboratory, a giant octopus suddenly appeared - and it thought they were lollipops! They managed to escape up to the next floor with some bumps and bruises.
|Monday June 13, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Unaware of other events taking place around town, Jordan continued looking into his family history, finding record of a man named "Albert Fitzgerald", who was a turn-of-the-century newspaper editor in town, and perhaps something of a historian. Jordan wanted to look at some of the old papers, but had trouble finding them online. He did happen to know, however, the the Public Library had reproductions of the city's papers going back over 100 years.
- The situation Emory and Aaron found themselves involved in continued to deteriorate. Officer Tamara began to transform into a spider creature after having been attacked by the looming mass above them, and the original deformed man attacking Aaron continued his assault. They decided to withdraw, most of them making their escape in the ambulance. Back at the hospital, there seemed to be some discrepancies between what the others saw and what Aaron and Emory knew had happened.
- After seeing to her studies for a while, Sara got distracted. She decided to do some online research into whether events similar to those occuring in New Auburn had happened before. She eventually discovered some ravings by a german doctor speaking about "a Corruption" - a patient and "spider-like" demon that erodes the hearts of "men closest the edge of the abyss", and "changes them into itself". When she returned to her room, she found it was a wreck, and words written in what looked like blood on the wall read: "I have new friends now, Sara... ...and they are angry."
- Carter awoke once again in the hospital to find all of the lights out - this time to something pushing its way through the drop-ceiling over his bed: a massive spider was looming above him, emerging from the ceiling. He ran out of his room into the darkened hallway and found two grotesque beings hunched over what looked like the body of a nurse. As he ran away, he caught site of Kim Jones - a dead student from the college - and, turning around, found himself face-to-face with a native american woman who's skin was pitted and rotting and who's hair and clothing seemed to float unnaturally around her. She reached out, placing her hands around his throat and sqeezing. Carter lost consciousness and, when he awoke, found himself on the shores of a lake, hundreds of fish floating dead in the water before him...
|Monday June 6, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Aaron and Emory arrived at the scene they were called to, shortly discovering the situation was still quite volatile. Aaron, Bryonson, Kirk, and Tamara engaged several fleeing suspects. Aaron encountered a deformed, spiderlike person in the allyway as something large loomed overhead.
- Emory and her partner were attempting to keep some distance from the scene until it was secure, but when one of the officers was injured, Bryonson called for them to come over. Emory began to have odd emotional sensations with no apparent cause, and the wounds on her back began to burn. She noticed her partner wasn't in the truck anymore, and thought she saw him heading out to the back of it. When she got there, she found the Man in the Pin-Striped Suit instead. He only spoke to her briefly, but her sourceless sensations intensified. When she looked up again, her partner was where the man had been, and they made ready to go assist the officers.
- On the way back from the gym, Sara had a brief conversation with a floor-mate, who told her that someone matching Bethany's description had been banging on her door, looking for her.
- Carter was resting in the hospital, when he noticed all of the power in his room had gone out, and he heard a scratching sound coming from a dark corner. Shining the light from his phone over there, he caught a brief glance of something silvery and ethereal fade from existence, leaving behind a silvery web.
|Monday May 30, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group made it back to town. Carter spent some time recovering in the hospital, as he was pretty severely injured. Sara and Jordan spent some time researching SCUBA thinking they may need to check out some odd mentionings about the lake. Emory and Aaron, however, went back to work.
- Aaron was called in to Lt Gray's office, and was assigned to Sgt Bryonson's unit which was canvassing neighborhoods and talking to potential witnesses to gang activities. The police department is currently stretched very thin with the somewhat sudden increase in gang and drug related violence in town. On one call, they happen upon a domestic disturbance which Aaron suspects might be related to the drug they'd previously encountered.
- Sara met with a student who gave her a rundown on how basic SCUBA diving works, but didn't have any equipment to loan and admitted he was fairly inexperienced.
- An emergency call went out to both Aaron & Bryonson's car and Emory's ambulance, describing an active situation in east-central New Auburn: describing gunfire and at least one body in the street...
|Monday May 9, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan awoke in his jail cell covered in sweat, as if from a horrifying dream he couldn't recall. He found the Man in the Pin-Striped Suit sitting in his cellmate's bunk with a newspaper. The man told Jordan that things were getting worse - that he should have accepted his offer. Jordan said he didn't believe him. The man's eyes glowed a vibrant yellow.
- As he dissolved into spider-like shadows and dissipated, Jordan heard his voice in his mind: "Will you save them, Fitzgerald? Can you do what must be done?" Jordan began to feel a tearing sensation in his forearms. Looking down, he saw strange, black writing gouged into his flesh: "The Hour Is Late" was on his left arm, and "8550 Newfield Lane" was on his right.
- Back at the hilltop cemetery, time seemed to freeze around Sara, and she began having a mental conversation with whom she believed to be the Man in the Pin-Striped Suit. He said he could tell her how to eliminate the monstrous spider creature that had nearly killed them if she would do something for him. The conversation got somewhat muddled, however, and Sara seemed less than cooperative. When time resumed, Sara grabbed the watch and ran away from the hilltop. The spider gave chase, but had some difficulty navigating the trees and undergrowth. As Sara pulled away, it returned to the others on the hill.
- Aaron and Emory were just barely able to "kill" the creature before it reached them and Carter, who'd be severely wounded and was unconscious. When they did, however, it seemed to explode into hundreds of cat-sized spiders that seemed to be quickly fleeing the area, but also striking out at anything they happened upon.
- When Sara reached the parking area the next day, she found that several days had actually passed. She called Kristine Cannon and convinced her to meet her and the two returned to the others in the woods. She seemed dubious of their claims of the events that had transpired, but did see the abundant webbing and the whole group noticed that some strange time distortion was happeneing in the area.
- The group headed back into town - most of them, to the hospital, though Emory went to meet Jordan to discuss recent events.
|Monday April 25, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (2) »|
- Aaron held out the pocketwatch for the ghost to take - asking if it wished to destroy it - but there seemed to be some sort of spiritual friction. The man held out a flickering, unnaturally-distorting hand toward Aaron and suddenly vanished. The watch began to burn Aaron's hand, and he dropped it.
- The watch burst "open", spewing something like blood and tar out across the clearing as a monstrous, spider-like creature pulled itself out of it. The creature seemed to grow larger and larger by the second, and the group opened fire at the unnatural creature.
- As it was injured, Sara found the pocketwatch and assessed it to be some sort of portal. She attempted to hold it closed, but it seemed to be pushing open against her and its surface burned her hands fairly severely. She and Emory finally managed to force it to stay closed.
- The now-massive demonic spider managed to thickly encase Aaron in webbing and mauled Carter before tossing him aside. Emory had sustained severe burns from the watch and was only semi-conscious. It was then that Sara saw the world seem to freeze in place and she heard a familiar voice just over her should: "So, this is interesting..."
|Monday April 11, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Fearing being arrested for murder, Jordan ran for it. Unfortunately, his car happened to be seen heading out of town. After a brief chase, he was apprehended.
- Aaron went to speak with Steve Carrol (the man who'd opened fire at the Sixth Street Bar some weeks earlier). He learned a little more about Leon Catch and the man in the pin-striped suit.
- While incarcerated, Jordan awoke in the middle of one night to find ghostly figures in his cell. The scenes seemed to have the flavor of an earlier time. Disturbed by the imagery, Jordan covered himself and attempted to blot out the wailing sounds - ultimately falling back to sleep.
- Aaron, Carter, Emory, and Sara went to find the place indicated by the map Carter had found on his grandfather's computer. It took them several hours to arrive, and while, they began to notice time seeming to slip away from them. At the site, which was said to be a cemetery, they found 13 stones bearing odd symbols with several smaller stones "connecting" them. Though only 4pm, darkness was falling, and they began to hear and see glimpses of wolves around the hilltop. It was here that a ghostly, half-wolf/half-man form appeared - distored, emaciated, twisted. It lashed out at the group, but Aaron, having pulled out the pocketwatch Sara had previously taken from the cave, called the beast to stand down - and this, shockingly, seemed to work. The ghostly wolf coalesced into the form of a native man - one they had seen before...
|Monday April 4, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Group further discussed what to do before splitting up.
- Carter found a pieces of information on his grandfather's computer network account at the college - an article about the New Tree Monument vandalism, a couple of emails relating to whatever project he was working on, and a map showing a mysterious location in the wilderness.
- Aaron and Jordan went to try to speak with Steve Carrol, the "Sixth Street Shooter", but he declined to see them. They sent him a letter the following day saying they wanted to talk about the man in the pin-striped suit.
- Sara and Emory went to speak with the witch, Bethany in the West Tenements, hoping she could point them toward Sims. Unfortunately, Bethany only had a brief encounter with the man a few weeks previous. She did seem interested in the pocketwatch Sara had found when it was mentioned, and later went to Sara's dorm room to search it for malevolent spirits.
- Sunday night, Aaron got a call from an officer buddy, Kirk Johnson, who wanted to meet him at the Saint Monessa Catholic Church. This seemed odd, so Aaron was wary. His friend told him that, while the police report said they didn't find anything in the cave, he saw something - a mutilated spider creature.
- Monday morning, Jordan was called into the radio station to talk with Cecil Perkins. This quickly took a turn for the worse when Perkins pulled a gun on him and insisted that he get "it" out of the station. As he got more and more agitated, a large bulbous shadow emerged from the walls just before the lights went out. Jordan could see eight glowing, yellow eyes and could feel Perkins struggling against him - and he was bitten. When he managed to get the door back open, a half-transformed Cecil collapsed onto the floor in time for Mark Wallace to see him laying motionless in a puddle of goo at Jordan's feet - and call the cops.
Lily [Pat] :: a Super-Smart Spy with Dino, the brontosaurus
- Angel, Maria, and Lily make their way to Hex Kitchen after receiving an invitation. Outside, Angel's fox, Ocean, was kidnapped by gingerbread men.
- The Kitchen Witch says they've been getting out of hand and also that her best mixing spoon, Max Mixer, is missing.
- The group tracked the gingerbread men to a melting caramel castle a short distance away. They were confronted by gingerbread guards, but fought there way inside where they found Ocean. The king of the gingerbread men appeared and the group noticed he had the mixing spoon.
- During the confrontation, a giant raccoon appeared and began eating the castle. They grabbed the spoon and tried to get away. Lily was climbing up on Dino when the raccoon knocked her down and took the shiny spoon.
- The group returned to Hex Kitchen and got a shiny fork. When they returned, they found the raccoon asleep nearby. The group was able to successfully swap the fork out for the spoon without waking it.
- The Kitchen Witch baked them some Marshmallow Chops and Mashed Lollipops as a reward, and passed on an invitation to Angel to attened Woodlynn's Birthbee Party.
|Monday March 7, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Aaron ambushed the radio station intruder, who ran for it after a brief scuffle. Aaron gave chase, but the guy - whom he recognized as one of the men from the park - was too quick. Aaron saw a black car nearby pull out and past the station before speeding down the road.
- Sara, meanwhile, had been further investigating the pocketwatch she'd taken from the cash box in the cave at the park as it had some odd properties. The jeweler she'd spoken with told her that it wasn't working, but she had noticed that it always seemed to have the correct time. The inscription inside turned out to be a passage from the book of Job. When she pried open the back, however, she found the object seemingly full of blood and viscera, which poured out from the opening she'd made, along with the hot smell of death. The room, which had been subtly darkening for the past hour, began to pulse red and just before her light went out, she saw the shadow of a man in an old-fashioned hat and suit near the door to her room. Sara grabbed her things and ran out through her suitemate's room, calling Emory to come and get her.
- The group convened at Emory's house to discuss what to do next.
Remmy [Tony] :: a Kind Creature (dog)
- While trying to find her friends again, Angel heard someone calling for help. She found a big dog (who was sort of like a kid) hanging upside down as some kind of carnivorous plant tried to eat him. Angel ran and jumped up onto the dog and, after a few attempts, managed to break the vine holding him and the two escaped.
- Unable to find their way to Maria and Edwin, Remmy (who had been in the wood hunting mushrooms for the Kitchen Witch) used his Witch-Way to find their way back to Hex Kitchen. Meanwhile, Edwin and Maria happened upong a whispered story about Angel and a dog going to the kitchen, so they all met up there.
- The group then proceeded to Mirror Mirror, spoke the rhyme, and entered the palace. Before they could get far, however, Maria and Remmy were detained by Mirror Men while Queen Me anxiously questioned them. Angel, having escaped, continued in, eventually finding the Princesses on the upper floor.
- Maria and Remmy eventually manged to distract the Queen and escape. They found Angel and the princesses, and the group of them fought their way back out of Mirror Mirror in time to get Edwin and Snow White to the Flower Petal Ball!
This is a loose campaign started for my 4-year-old daughter, Hannah. Sheri will be playing in it as well, and others may come and go occasionally.
- Angel [Hannah] :: a Powerful Princess with a stuffed fox
- Maria [Sheri] :: a Super-Smart Pirate with a stuffed rabbit
- Angel was awaked by her stuffed fox, Ocean, talking to her. He said her help was needed. Not sure what was happening, she hid at first, but eventually noticed the green light coming from under her closet door and, upon investigating, found that a gateway in her closet now led into a forest in a mystical land.
- Angel met with Maria and a teddy bear named Edwin and was told that the Princesses were trapped in a palace called Mirror Mirror, and that one of them had promised to go to the Flower Petal Ball with Edwin. Someone needed to get them out.
- After some discussion, the group decided to go to the Whispering Wood to see if it would tell them any stories about how to get into Mirror Mirror. Maria and Edwin discovered a rhyme that would open the way, but Angel saw something that frightened her, ran off into the wood, and got lost!
|Monday February 22, 2016 at 8:55pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Fearing the approach of sirens, the tow assailants fled the scene. Carter had made a valiant effort to detain them - or at least keep them off his friends - but the double-team ultimately proved too much and a serious blow to the back of his head all but removed him from the fight.
- Jordan pulled Emory's medical supplies from her trunk and, acting mostly on instinct, managed to stop her profuse bleeding. Seeing Carter still standing, Jordan decided to leave and get Emory to the hospital ASAP.
- Police and ambulances arrived next and, after questioning him, took Carter to the hospital as well.
- Sara fought with Damon's laptop a bit more - recovering no more information, but changing the password so as to keep others out. She then left the complex a reasonable distance, and quietly observed the aftermath of what was going on in the street where the shootout had taken place. She then walked to a nearby convenience store and, after distracting the owner, used the phone to leave some anonymous tips for the police about Damon and his drug ring.
- The group spent several days recovering. Aaron got hold of some copied police file info on Elijah Sims (whom Sara now recognizes as the man responsible for the shotgun damage to Emory's car) and Dakota Flores.
- Jordan went to plead his case to the station manager and, after a bit of persuading, managed to keep his job. Fearing that at least one of the gang knows who he is and where to find him, Jordan had Aaron accompany him on his first night back. At about the second commercial break, Aaron stepped outside the booth and noticed an approaching shadow in the hall...
|Monday February 8, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The party disbanded for the evening - Sara stayed with Emory, Jordan went with Carter, and Aaron went back to his place.
- Aaron, being pretty beat up, decided he needed a day to recover. The others decided the next day to head over to an address for the gang member who'd run away from the cave which Sara had acquired from the registration for his yellow jeep.
- Upon reaching the run-down apartment complex and determining the man wasn't at home, the group engaged in some misdirection to cover Jordan's picking the lock on the door. Once inside, they noticed the interior was nicely furnished for a run-down place. Sara found a laptop, which she was busy searching for information on "Catch" or her friend Kim when Carter told them someone was coming.
- They hurred out, running - almost literally - into the man who's apartment they'd been searching. Recognizing them from the cave before and seeing he was outnumbered, he turned and ran.
- The resulting chase took them up an neighboring alley and on to the adjascent street where the yellow jeep was parked. When the man reached the jeep, he reached inside, pulled out a pistol and fired it at his pursuers - about the time a nearby black sedan started and peeled out onto the road. Carter, who'd gone back for the car they'd come in, came barrelling up the alleyway in it, expertly skidding out onto the street.
- Carter slammed the car into the back of the jeep, and leapt out into the fray, the man in black sedan pulled around the other side began spraying the area with submachine gun bullets, injuring Emory and Jordan, as the man they'd been chasing tried to fight them off.
|Monday February 1, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Made aware of the approaching vehicle and guessing it was probably the man who'd fled during the confrontation in the cave along with more companions, the group made to hide.
- Just before the gang arrived, Aaron turned to find a tall, Native-American-looking man standing behind him. Startled he went to tackle the man, but found he passed right through his target, tumbling some distance down the hill. During a brief interaction with Jordan and one of the prisoners (who were halfway up the hill), the rest of the group was alerted to the approaching vehicle. The rest of the party, at the bottom of the hill, heard the sound of howling int he distance.
- Due to some impressive and convincing half-truths (and outright falsehoods) by Jordan, the rest of the group managed to get their two prisoners to hide with them, convincing one of them that they're buddy had betrayed them and that the approaching men were from a rival gang.
- From his position, Aaron was able to see a dark man in a coat with a heavily-bandaged head in the vehicle the gang had arrived in. He seemed to be calling the shots. More disturbing, however, he kept hearing a rustling in the leaves and brush getting closer - eventually growling the word "Niatha" in his ear. When Aaron finally turned the flashlight behind him, though, he found nothing.
- Carter had sneaked around to get a view of this area as well, and was keeping an eye on the situation form a position across the pathway from Aaron. He heard the rustling around him, too - though nothing more.
- The group left one of their prisoners who was injured, irritated, and had become belligerently uncooperative. The other they took with them back up to the shelter house and continued to talk with him, ultimately letting him go - convinced, for the moment, that the group was actually working for his emplyer - a man they'd heard of, known as "Catch".
- After the gang had gone, Aaron and Emory went down to check on the abandoned prisoner. They caught sight of the tall Native-American, heading toward the cave - this time, he seemed to be licked with flames. Shockingly, they found that the man they'd left had been brutally mutilated in the few minutes of their absence - his body showing deep claw-like gashes and his chest having been torn open. They think his heart may have been missing.
- The group also pulled out, having found out what they could from the park. They returned to Emory's place (Jordan's place being compromised as he was recognized by the prisoner they'd be talking with). On their way out, they heard on the radio that the downtown courthouse was burning down...
|Monday January 25, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group got what information they could from their captives, who were less than cooperative - one, because he was cold and critical, and another, because he was pretty heavily drugged. Still, they managed to learn a couple of things about the drug operation and how it related to other things they'd been encountering. They weren't quite finished formulating their next move when Aaron, having hiked back up to the shelter house for cell reception, noticed the headlights of a vehicle heading that way...
|Monday December 21, 2015 at 8:30am||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Carter descended into the ravine to do some scouting, finding a cave from which a loud, motor-like noise and the strong smell of dead things were issuing. Seeing no sentries, he called the others down.
- The group proceeded into the cave one by one, but sticking fairly close together. They followed the sound and hints of light down through some steep and narrow passages.
- At the bottom, they found several tables full of marijuana plants with sun lamps powered by a lound gas generator. The three men they'd seen earlier where all at the far side of the room near what seemed to be a gaping crack in the floor of the large cavern - they were pulling something out of it with chains.
- The group entered the cavern and were spotted. One of the men pulled a pistol and began firing on them, but another seemed to be trying to stop the shooting. The thing they were dragging out of the pit at first seemed human, but as they got a better look at it, had obviously inhuman qualities. When it finally emerged entirely from the pit, they found it to have a massive, spider-like abdomen protruding from a humanoid torso. The three men seemed...surprised...by this.
- What insued was a collection of uncoordinated and conflicting attempts to control the situation. The spider creature attempted to free itself from its chains and set upon its captors, one of the three men seemed to be attempting to subdue the creature with a tranquilizer gun, another, panicked, grabed a submachine gun and began wildly spraying the room with bullets, while the third seemed intent on firing upon the interlopers. The party divided its efforts between keeping the creature at bay and subduing the three possible human assailants.
- Due to the latter's state of disarray combined with some good fortune, the group was actually able to come out ahead with little harm. Aaron subdued the man attempting to shoot at him - having successfully shot his gun arm and then bludgeoning him with his baton - his bulletproof vest doing a sufficient job of keeping him from mortal injury. With some additional fire support from Emory, Carter put several good shots into the spider creature with his hunting rifle as it attempted to free it self such that, by the time it had, it seemed to prefer retreat rather than combat. Jordan tackled the man wildly shooting an automatic weapon, which Sara relieved him of. The blonde man attempting to tranquilize the creature, seeing it about to free itself and his comrads subdued by the intruders, hesistated for a moment before dropping the gun and running. Sara pursued him, but he seemed to know the cave well and was much too quick. By the time she reached the base of the ravine up to the shelter, he was already in his jeep heading down the road. Sara was, however, able to prevent the other man - the one who'd panicked - from escaping when she intercepted him on his way out.
- The group was left with two "prisoners" and the remains of some kind of drug operation. It looked fairly standard at first glance, but upon closer inspection, they found that joints being manufacturered from the growing plants were additionally being soaked in a red-orange goo. They found a few more mason jars full of the stuff in a nearby safe. Before it had retreated, they had all seen the same substance oozing from the creature's mouth and abdomen...
|Monday December 14, 2015 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- The group packed up and headed out to Pine Rock State Park around noon. They noticed the road and shelter were not on the current maps given out by the park. They found the old road on their way to the campground - it was overgrown and had a rusted yellow gate barring vehiclular entrance.
- Once they set up at the campground, the drove back down to the gate and hiked up to the pavilion. When they were getting close, Sara sneaked ahead and found that there were three men - probably in their 20s - present with a grill, a cooler, some paper cups, and other such things.
- The group as a whole then emerged and greeted the three, and were subsequently told that there was about to be a bit of a private party in an hour or so - with a thinly veiled suggestion that the intruders leave. Being a bit suspicious, the group proceeded to pry a bit - both directly and indirectly - and examined the area. One of the men in particular seemed a bit more jumpy than the other two. Several behaviors from all three seemed odd, but there wasn't really any hard evidence that they were doing anything nefarious. Sara did notice a worn pathway leading down into the ravine behind the shelter.
- The situation almost turned ugly when Aaron, successfully baiting one of the men, attempted to open the cooler to get a beer and was met with a degree of aggression not quite in keeping with a minor social faux pas. Carter successfully difused the situation and the group ultimately withdrew amid lingering tensions.
- Deciding something was definitely up, the group decided to stage a stake-out. Carter, in full hunting camo, made his way to the hilltop above the shelter just before dusk. He wasn't able to see into the shelter much from his vantage point, but he was able to keep an eye on the area and could hear the general sounds of conversation. No one else ever arrived for the "party", and, just after dusk, the group of men left the shelter, heading down into the ravine...
|Monday December 7, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan had been somehow abducted, apparently by a man in an odd, old suit who definitely did not have yellow eyes. They had a...pleasant...conversation wherein the man told Jordan he had been cursed and that the only way to remove the curse was the eliminate an old spiritual presence. Jordan, unsure of this man's motives, basically told him thanks but no thanks, and that he would address his...situation...himself. Upon leaving, he found himself outside a cabin deep in the forest north of the city. He fought his way through the forest and back to the city over the next 24 hours.
- The group took a couple of days to recover from injuries and collect some thoughts. During this time, Sara met with a friend of the missing sculptor of the New Tree Monument and acquired some of Kim's old school notes. Aaron received a call from Kristine cautioning him about being too vocal about his more "interesting" theories. Carter got a voicemail from the history chair at CSU Fort Collins who'd found out he'd previously tried to contact the late James Hannelbrock.
- The group met on friday night to discuss things again. They decided they were going to go and investigate the shelter house marked on the park map Aaron found in the abandoned apartment building. They're making ready to go on a "camping trip" - they'll check out the place during the day and, if they find nothing, head back at night...
|Monday October 26, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Sara was listening to Jordan's late-night radio show when it returned from commercial and went to dead air. Concerned, she called Carter and the two of them decided to head over to the station to see what was up. As they were arriving, they saw a young man break into the building. When they went in to investigate, they found themselves cornered by a werewolf. A brief encounter resulted, ending when the wolf creature fled the building. There was no sign of Jordan, but the radio booth was full of spider webs.
- Aaron got a call from Kristine saying that she thought their best bet for getting back into the basement of that abandoned building was to try sooner rather than later - and decided they were heading back right then. When they arrived, they found that the place was inhabited by one of the thugs from earlier. They set a bit of a trap to catch him, which didn't exactly work and he escaped. The two found their way into the basement where they found the remains of a drug operation that was no longer present. Aaron did notice some anchors in the walls and some dried orange-red goo. As they were leaving, he also found a map of Pine Rock State Park which had circled a remote shelter house. On their way back to the car, they were ambushed by a larger group of thugs with automatic weaponry, from which they narrowly escaped.
|Monday October 19, 2015 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (2) »|
- Emory and Jordan begin noticing increasing webbing in the closet they're hiding in, though they see no spiders. Emory is brushed by something a couple of times and ultimately "attacked", receiving two, painless puncture wounds coated with an orange-red goo - accompanied by sudden hallucinations of eyes, a strange warmth, and some senses. Jordan frantically re-jimmys the door to permit their escape, slamming it shut behind them.
- The group re-assembles back at Jordan's apartment, where Aaron and Sara try to assist in treating Emory's wounds under her direction. They turn out to be much worse than suspected, however, and the efforts cause Emory to weaken dramatically. They do manage to get her somewhat stabilized and decide it's time to go to the ER.
- While Sara and Aaron take Emory to the hospital, Carter and Jordan head to the City Square Park to look at the New Tree Monument. Carter notices that the negative spaces between the branches of the stylized tree form symbols associated with the tribes that once inhabited this area - and that one of them was slightly mis-formed: the sculpture had been vandalized about a year and a half ago and "restored" about six months later...though, apparently, not completely.
- Jordan heads to the studio around midnight to do his show, which he gives a spider theme for the evening. Several interesting stories are called in, including a china doll that wraps itself in webs, an abandoned building full of webs containing dead animals, webs appearing in hospital rooms seeming to indicate a sudden patient death, and a kid who said he saw a giant spider "belonging" to an old man in a suit. As the show is concluding, he notes a strange web in the corner of his studio and the reflection of a large shadow behind him...
|Monday October 12, 2015 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Aaron met detective Kristine Cannon to check out the address on the mysterious note with a killer's fingerprints he'd received. They found that, despite the building's 'abandoned' status, there were signs of recent passage and habitation. They found that the nails boarding up the door to the basement were new, but Kristine was accosted by some local thugs while retrieveing a crowbar from her vehicle. The thugs made a show of threatening them to leave the building, which they did. Someone is apparently watching it for some reason.
- Sara went to the Lake Meijer Marina and talked to Jennifer about the late Eric Riley. She told Sara that he was an avid outdoorsman, and they found a record of a cancelled pontoon and "extended guide services" reservation for Hector Hall originally made for the day after Riley's untimely death. There was nothing else on record indicating the purpose of the outing, though Jennifer did recall that his personal SCUBA gear was later found in one of the storage lockers.
- Carter went home after their meeting to look through his grandfather's things a bit more thoroughly. In doing so, he came across a bit of a shredded document to the Society for American Archeaology talking about a new site, some print-out bathymetry with some marks on the deepest places, a newspaper clipping talking about the delayed repairs to the New Tree Monument, and a note about the Algonquin word "mahigan" in the margin of an unusual book on Arapaho dialects.
- Jordan and Emory decided to take a look at the basement where Sara had encountered some apparition that resembled Kim Jones. They were accosted by one of the professors who, not recognizing them, asked what he could do to help. They played off their presence as looking for an old professor of Jordan's from when he took classes at the college - an effort which was partially successful. When the managed to make it to the basement, they found that it looked very different from what Sara described: namely cleaner, well-lit, and possessed of a completely different layout. Though they did notice one of the odd spider webs in a corner, it wasn't until Jordan picked the lock on a utility closet that they discovered anything that matched Sara's story: an old, beat-up classroom desk. Among the graffiti, they noticed the words "help me" gouged into one corner. They were trying to photograph the desk when the door at the top of the stair openened and Emory pulled Jordan inside.
|Monday September 28, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Aaron and Emory explained to the arriving authorities what had happened - leaving out certain details. They said that the dead druggie had attacked them in a frenzy and that they were forced to shoot him in self-defense. Their story was convincing, but they still spent most of the rest of the day at the Department. Aaron was placed on "administrative leave", though he still received a call from Kristine Cannon asking if he was still joining her at 1101 Harriet Avenue.
- Jordan took a walk down the street from the "General Store" and found some unusual evidence at the entrance to a boarded-up post office: bent window bars, large slash marks, and silvered buckshot embedded in the front door.
- The party met later in the day to discuss what they'd learned and to determine what to do next. They suggested visiting the Marina to see if they could determine for what Dr Hall had needed Eric Riley. Sara considered contacting Kim's parents to see if she could acquire any journals or notes. Carter is going to dig into his grandfather's artifacts. Jordan is planning to run a "spider themed" show tonight. Emory is sure there is some connection between some of what's going on to the drug problems in New Auburn, but isn't sure exactly how to pursue it.
|Monday September 7, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group headed to the "west tenements", a poor and isolated area of the city. After pulling off to take a look at a dead dog lying in the middle of the street, they decide to continue on foot.
- Most of the group move on to talk to an old man sitting on his front porch. He seems reluctant to talk to outsiders, but eventually tells them that "the witch" at the "general store" is responsible for the dreamcatcher-like charms hanging from many of the buildings - charms that bear a pattern identical to the strange spider web Jordan saw.
- The group then proceeds to the old general store, which is now full of strange charms, talismans and totems. They call for the proprietor - when she finally arrives, she seems most unhappy to see them, calling them outsiders and telling them their auras are "out-of-phase" with this locale.
- Aaron stays back, he notices another of the strange spider webs. This leads him to the basement of one of the buildings, covered in them. After calling out, he hears someone upstairs who seemed as though he might be in some trouble. Emory arrived to join him at this point, and they find a man collapsed upstairs injecting something into his arm. They start to call 911, when the man begins to convulse, sprouting spider legs, fangs, and 6 additional yellow eyes. The creature is hostile, but seems un-accustomed to its form. As it springs upon them (biting Aaron a few times), they fire on it, eventually bringing it down as it is stuck in the doorway - at which point, its monstrous appendages begin to dissolve into goo, leaving a man with multiple bullet wounds.
|Monday August 24, 2015 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- After having discussed the experiences themselves, the group moved on to examine the histories, contexts, and possible meanings and connections between them. After some consideration, they decided to follow Jordan's suggestion see what they could learn in the "west tenements", a poor corner of the city, which they plan to do in the late morning the following day.
|Monday August 17, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan recieved a phone call from a strange woman asking to meet and talk to him about strange happenings, having heard about him through his radio show. They decided to meet at the Sixth Street Bar. While there, one of the guys at the bar cracks and pulls a gun on another man - a gentleman in an old-fashioned-looking pin-striped suit. Shots were fired, and chaos broke loose. Aaron had been walking his beat nearby and heard the disturbrance. He and Jordan eventually talked him down. The man seemed convinced the other gentleman was some kind of "monster".
- On the way to the "meeting", Sara and Emory had an encounter with a large man who ran into their car, and another guy who was chasing after him with a shotgun. They attempted to intervene in the scene, but after a brief exchange, the chase continued away from them. They called 911 to report the incident and continued to the meeting.
- The group convened at Jordan's place to discuss recent happenings including the break-in at Carter's office, "ghosts", hallucinations, transformations, dreams, unusual injuries, spiders, and some odd historical documents. They're now examining all of this for patterns or clues as to what to do about it.
|Monday August 10, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan found his way into the room with the PC controlling the security cameras. Perkins apparently isn't especially tech-savvy, so gaining access to what he was searching for was pretty simple. The videos showed a strange man in the booth with him that night, and a black smoke pouring out of his headphones and eyes.
- Meanwhile, Carter Hall had arrived home after a days' work to find what appeared to be a journal belonging to his late grandfather sitting on the coffee table, a pen sitting next to it. Most of the entries were mundane and somewhat boring, but toward the end - about 6 months or so before his death - they became disorganized and unexplained. The last entry contained the current date with words scrawled across the lines in Hector's handwriting: "They're watching me. They've always been watching me."
- Aaron sent a text message to the others saying that he thought they ought to get together a bit sooner than originally planned. Most of them agreed.
- The following morning, Aaron talked with Kristine Cannon, New Auburn's homicide detective. She told him that they were going to look into the location described in the note he'd received, and Aaron asked to be involved. After a minute or two, Krisitine suggested that they go check it out the next evening.
- Sara saw Kim Jones - her ghost, or someone that looked just like her - going into the basement of the Richardson Building, and followed. Downstairs she found a dark and damp room containing pipes and conduits, with Kim sitting at a single desk in the middle of an opening. When Sara finally got close enough to get the girl's attention, the being turned on her with milky white eyes, distorted features and over-long limbs. Sara fought through the darkness back up to the first floor, where she found large spiders crawling on her.
|Monday July 27, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Aaron got a strange note indicating the address of an old, abandoned apartment building. He had someone at the station check it for finger prints and they found a partial match - that of a wanted serial killer in a case 10 years cold.
- Jordan got strange call on his radio show and now only remembers pieces of the rest of the night - though a co-worker said he saw him chased out of the building by a big guy.
- Sara looked up some info on Dr Hannelbrock - the colleague who'd sent the package to the late professor Hall - only to discover that he died in a car accident right around the time the package was postmarked. Later that night, she was awakened by sounds in her bathroom: the faucet & shower were on, and she heard talking. Sara recognized Kim's voice inside, speaking in an increasingly agitated tone, punctuated by the sounds of objects flying across the bathroom and slamming into the walls. The door was locked; by the time she got inside, whoever it was was gone.
- Carter contacted campus security in order to see if the cameras caught any images of the man Sara had seen coming from his office when they discovered it had been trashed. Only two cameras showed images of the man - it's as if he came from nowhere and disappeared when he left that one hallway.
- Emory and her partner got a call for a collapsed man in the middle of an east-side street and advised that he might be intoxicated. When they arrived the man looked deformed, had some odd injuries, and seemed terrified out of his mind. He pulled a gun and shot, winging the paramedic, but subsequently collapsed and stopped breathing. He was disarmed by Sgt Bryonson who was at the scene. The emergency responders tried to revive him, but it was too late.
- After being denied by Cecil Perkins, the station manager, Jordan and Aaron consider how to get access to the station's security camera footage.
|Monday July 20, 2015 at 8:00am||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
Finished character creation/tweaks, cooperatively devised scenario wherein the group met and began investigating these things together.
- Sara sees a strange man coming from Carter's office; the two of them find it trashed. Carter receives a package addressed to his late grandfather containing a fragment of an unusual 19th-century letter.
- Aaron and Emory are present at a gang-shootout aftermath, finding a mostly-dissolved body in addition to three men shot to death. While they give chase to a man fleeing the scene, someone lights the dissolved body on fire.
Game schedule has been decided as "most" mondays, looking at a start time between 7:30pm and 8pm.
|Monday July 13, 2015 at 8:00pm||new campaign, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
System: World of Darkness
Setting: New Auburn, CO
Players: Sheri, Tony, Adam, Tim, Keara
The New Auburn Chronicle is a (New) World of Darkness campaign set in a small city called New Auburn, located in the foothills of the Rockies in Colorado. It is intended to be a short-to-medium length campaign.
The PCs are a group of people who have witnessed the supernatural to some small degree, and are on the lookout to protect the city of New Auburn from its influence.
We did character creation for this game tonight. There are still some lingering details to be filled in, but most of the mechanical creation has been done.
- Sara Cruise [Sheri] :: a history/literature student at New Auburn College
- Aaron Taggert [Tony] :: a local police officer with a minor reputation as a nut due to some supernatural reports
- Carter Hall [Adam] :: a history/archeaology professor at New Auburn College
- Jordan Fitzgerald [Tim] :: a local radio dj who hosts a late-night show on the paranormal
- Emory Tate [Keara] :: a local paramedic
The current plan is to play this game on monday ("crackle") nights. We'll see how it goes.
|Saturday June 27, 2015 at 9:00pm||little fears, simon's things, game session notes, trogland||Comments (0) »|
- A group of kids tries to contain a dark presence coming from a house at the edge of their neighborhood
- Several groups of NPCs present managed to hold off the demon hordes long enough for the group to engage and defeat the massive, half-demon hydra and close the portal in an epic battle. Taryn was slain in the fighting, however, and the number of other casualities is as yet unknown.
End Chapter Two
- While the group was still investigating the safehouse they'd found, a local street gang arrived and attempted to give them some trouble. They failed.
- The group learned from the gang's leader that a man called Dralt seemed to be behind a few recent incidents. Dralt told his gang to "take care of" anyone messing with this house.
- The group returned to the main part of the city and met with Respina, the Watch Prime. During the conversation, the group Many Eyes, Many Teeth came up. The Watch was aware of a gang that used that symbol (and that they'd been responsible for some festival vandalism in previous years), but didn't know anything that made this group any different than any other group of troublemakers.
- The next day, the final processions began with Tyrrox playing the part of Cyrus Thorn (an honor he'd won by winning the tournament). Lily found Gable Magnar at a table with Phicious Vallane and, having finally cornered him, found out a bit about his previous association with Many Eyes, Many Teeth.
- They were still talking when "Cyrus" and the illusory hydra representing Lockthuun arrived in the town circle. People were beginning to crowd the area, anxiously anticipating the final drama and the banquet to follow. When the hydra reached the top of the hill, however, it winked out of existence. There, a gate opened and out came a massive, demonic hyda - all too real.
- The group spent the evening partying and celebrating the victory, though Lily left a bit earlier than the others.
- The second day of the festival was a massive collection of street parties characterized by large amounts of inexpensive food and drink and accented by flashy illusions.
- During the festivities, the group noticed certain individuals contaminating the drinks of the party-goers. These seemed to coincide with unexplained bursts of anger and street brawls. The helped to break up the disturbances and relayed what they knew to the Watch.
- The group pursued a couple of the perpetrators, but failed to capture any. They did discover a chest and magic circle in a condemned building in the northwest area of town.
- The Festival of Thorns began. As the first day progressed, the street party became more and more active, but the main attraction was the Knight of Rolessi tournament held that evening.
- Tyrrox entered the tournament, which was an officiated series of duels that were more and more augmented by magical/illusory "special effects" as the rounds progressed. Tyrrox won the tournament, defeating a local half-orc bouncer by a narrow magrin. Due to his victory, he is to play the part of Cyrus Thorn in the upcoming reinactment on the third evening.
- The rest of the party spent most of the day relaxing and enjoying the festival.
|Saturday March 7, 2015 at 8:00pm||fate core, venus flytrap, game session notes, ruchtcon||Comments (1) »|
RuchtCon V, Retrograde, FATE Core
In which a team of explorers venture to the second planet to re-establish contact with a wayward botanical research station and discover a damaged satellite, energy-eating plants, violent lightening storms, a german u-boat, an enourmous predator, and hallucenogenic wasps.
- Lily and Tyrrox went to meet with high priestess Heldrith Gedra about recent events and to ask about the Marked Man (whom they'd learned had met with her). She told them that he'd been asking about the nature of 'godhood', specifically how gods ascend and/or fall from godhood.
- Taryn and Kael went to the Black Bottle & talked to a card shark about the fight (which had involved the Marked Man) that had happened a few months previous.
- The party learned from Phicious Vallane that, if they wanted to talke to Gable Magnar (a "black sheep" of House Magnar whom they believe may have had connections to the Marked Man and/or Many Eyes, Many Teeth), their best bet would be at the banquet held on the last night of the Festival of Thorns.
- The group fought off the wyverns and met a man called Xerxes Palias, who was apparently a griffin-rider associated with Rolessi's forces. He invited them back to a place called the Armsyard, which was something like a permanent army encampment / training ground outside the city.
- The group met Anthaan Vallane and Silas Wilhelm there, and the group talked about recent issues and current concerns.
- The party then continued into Rolessi. They met up with Ubrus Marc at the Temple of the Golden Sun. He hadn't seen the Marked Man, but his "friend" at the temple said he'd come to discuss some theological issues a few months back. The party also spoke to the Watch and learned that the Marked Man had been involved in a nasty fight at the Black Bottle, which resulted in three deaths.
- Kael visited the House Vallane Adventurers' Guild and has decided to join it.
- Feeling the time had come to follow their leads toward Rolessi, the group finished up with their immediate concerns in Igveston and set out, leaving some advice to a few in the now politically-unstable settlement.
- They had been following the road south into the night when they came upon a two-headed giant sifting through the remains of what was probably a caravan. They had a brief encounter with its "piggy", and ultimately circumvented the scene rejoining the road further south.
- The party continued travel for another day and a half when they came upon an injured griffon-rider trying to fight off a small group of wyverns...
- After pursuing a couple of individual goals, the party decided to return to Nephrim Keep the following evening, looking for the old man they'd met previously. They didn't find him, but they did find a black cat that turned out to be one of the bird people. She told them that House Meric had instructed her associates to kill all members of House Xerus. Taryn had reason to suspect that they might not all be dead, and the bird woman suggested that perhaps her sister had used "the artifact" to transport them to another plane instead. The party has no particular way to determine where that may have been, however.
- The next day, the group rescued a very intoxicated but alive William Xerus from the dungeons below the burned-out estate - doing so invisibly so as not to attract attention. He was brought to House Dyn'Talor at the Academy as well. After pastries.
- Feeling pressed for time on other fronts, the party decided to leave Igveston in a couple of days.
- Tyrrox was asked to help rebuild morale at House Briglau after the werewolf attack had resulted in the deaths of several important figures. He was later honored with a give from the founder's armory.
- Taryn had a somewhat awkward reuinion with Celia at The Corner House - a dining establishment for very private meetings. She continued to try to convince him to stay in Igveston and became fairly upset, but ultimately resigned to his departure and attempted to enjoy the evening.
- Lily was asked to perform at The Silver Stag (a social club of the nobility of Igveston). She managed to convince the performers' liason that she had very limited time, and he made some drastic cuts in the schedule to fit her in the following night. Lily performed amazingly well, and her fame in the city continues to grow.
- Lily and Tyrrox talk with Valthious who tells them of the difficulties in curing lycanthropy. While they're talking, a bell begins ringing and they go to investigate, seeing many of the guards heading back to House Briglau. They get there in time to stop a wounded werewolf from escaping from the estate - suspecting that it may be guard who was previously feverish.
- Kael and Taryn are with Miala Xerus at her estate, and find that it is on fire and crawling with fire elementals and assassins - one of which was a humaniod bird of some kind. As the three tried to escape the burning keep, the bird-woman managed to stab Miala in the back. There was a green flash and she burst into flames, leaving behind only a few ashes. After this happened, the attackers began to disperse, leaving the keep in flames.
- The party reassembled and discussed what to do next. Valthious is concerned about the political turmoil these recent events will cause. He suggests keeping Tievain's wereabouts and the existance of William a secret. Kael seeks vengeance, and Taryn seems inclined to agree. Lily and Tyrrox however, are still keen to follow the tenuous lead on the "marked man" that they recently discovered.
- The party arrived in Igveston, where they were greated by Alphast awaiting his report on the mine, as well as some of the House Briglau guards were informed Tyrrox that the captain needed his help. Tyrrox and Lily went with the guards, Taryn and Kael went with Alphast.
- Taryn and Kael reported what they knew of the mine, and enjoyed some hospitality at House Alphast
- Tyrrox and Lily learned of some problems at Nephrim Keep and some strange attacks elsewhere in the city - some creature which they were to hunt down.
- As the evening wound down at House Alphast, Miala Xerus interrupted and requested the presence of Taryn and Kael. Once at their estate, she told them that Lord Tievain had been missing.
- While investigating, Lily and Tyrrox were attacked by a beast, which Lily recognized as a werewolf. They eventually brought it down, and, realizing it was a "person", Lily suggested they take it to the Academy (which was nearby) to see about restoring it.
- At House Xerus, Taryn and Kael investigate a wrecked room where Tievain was last known to be. When the absence of signs of struggle prompted Kael to suggest that perhaps Tievain became something, Miala told them of the house's lycanthropic curse.
- Miala, Taryn and Kael were in the dungeons talking about William (who'd been comfortably confined there for his and others' protection). When the were heading back up, they found the house on fire...
- As the group surveyed the mine full of troglodytes, they encountered another trog hunting party returning to the caves. There was a brief skirmish during which one of the trogs yelled to the others that they were under attack.
- A dominant troglodyte figure appeared at the mine entrance telling whoever was out in the woods to leave or be hunted down and devoured by his tribe.
- There was brief, shouting exchange of questions between the party and the troglodypes, during which the tribe came under attack by a giant, black worm-like creature.
- The party decided to assist in killing the beast to aid in parlaying with the trogs.
- After killing the worm, a brief conversation ensued (mostly with a shaman of the tribe called Mikka). The trogs had been lead to the area by the dragon Mishveera and, while they weren't particuarly thrilled about it, they weren't in a position to make the long journey back to their homelands (even if they wanted to).
- The group told them of human interest in the mine and suggested some future bargain could be made, but got no commitment from the trogs who still seemed decidedly unfriendly if not outright hostile.
- The party decided to return to Igveston.
- Paks arrives in Velgrin and meets up with the rest of the party
- The group ties up loose ends in the village and then heads north through the dense, swampy forest toward the site of the mine Reynold Alphast had tasked Taryn with investigating.
- A few miles from the mine, they are attacked by a small troglodyte hunting/ambush party; the group fights them off without too much trouble. Lily spots one running away into the marsh.
- The party arrives at the mine and, from a distance, is able to see that it is now inhabited by an entire tribe of troglodytes.
- The party reunited in Velgrin, each glad to see the others were still alive.
- Lily organized a grand performance of the tale of their defeat of the dragon Mishveerra.
- The group examined the treasured they'd recovered from the dragon's hoard
- Taryn, Kael and Tyrrox were confronted by the leader of a tribe of some sort of amphibious creatures who seemed unhappy with their presence. The group agreed never to return if the creatures assisted them in returning to the surface, though that meant leaving some of the treasure behind.
- From the caverns, Lily found her way into the buried ruin of an ancient elven city. There she was confronted with some bitter elvish ghosts. Lily was able to talk her way out of any hostilities and told them of some recent events. Nearby, she met up with Voru - the great cat they had seen previously - who guided her out of the caverns by way of passages beneath the lake, and into the Charothi Forest to the south.
- On the shore of Lake Eire, Paks met up with Orvia and her force who were pursuing the kobolds, driving them away from the elvin settlement. She cast some blessings upon them and opted to wait at the shore that they may all return to the village once their work was done. When nightfall came, however, they still had not returned...
- Having fended off the kobolds, the party took some time to catch their breath and plotted to confront Mishveerra. Working with a druid and a cleric of the village, they made preparations the following morning to descend to the dragon's lair beneath the island.
- On their way into the depths, they encountered a giant eel-like creature which offered information in exchange for a strong magical item. The party gave it a magical dagger (the one that had been used to kill Elivius Morran) and it warned them of a "dark power" possessed by the human who was with the dragon.
- When they arrived at the bubble that encompassed the lair, they witnessed a gate opening to one of the lower planes and several vrocks came through. As they engaged the vrocks, the dragon attacked them from behind.
- Taryn decided now was the time to use his orb, and successfully dominated the dragon, directing it to enter the portal. When it crossed to the other side, however, his control over it was broken. She called back through to a man called Lurathi. The two agreed to some sort of deal, and the man appeared, shattering a black sphere on the ground just as Mishveerra leapt back through the portal.
- When it broke, the black sphere sent out a shockwave which created a massive anti-magic field.
- As Taryn, Tyrrox and Kael engaged the dragon - now all stripped of any magical or supernatural abilities - Lily chased after Lurathi, who left the bubble and began to swim. She wasn't sure how she did it, but she swam for a great distance, eventually catching up with and killing him in a cavern above the submerged ruins.
- The group just managed to kill Mishveerra, but they are now trapped beneath the lake with no magical aid. Curiously, the clearly supernatural bubble that they occupy has not collapsed, and is only very slowly leaking...
[Steve] Paks - Human Cleric of Pelor
- The party fought off kobolds while Mishveerra stalked Kael
- The dragon caught and attacked Kael, but by way of some considerably luck, he survived while the dragon believed him to be dead.
- Taryn had a brief altercation with the bard in the dragon's lair before swimming out to rejoin the others - with the dragon's crystal ball.
- The party talked with the people of Velgrin, trying to convince them to act against the dragon now that it was wounded. Some seemed to agree, others seemed to think it was too risky.
- Meanwhile, the dragon, knowing Taryn was a cleric, was demanding he heal her - suggesting that he owed her for sparing his life. After some stalling, Taryn did what he could, but when he was unable to repair her eye, she left in a rage.
- The party was preparing the town for an offense against the dragon when she suddenly arrived, demanding the town turn over the "hunter" that had shot her eye. About that time, another scout came running into the gathering circle, reporting that the kobold tribe was, once again, launching an attack against the settlement.
- Not wanting to abandon the town, the party discussed what they could do about the dragon. It seemed unwise to confront it directly. They considered trying to convince it to leave - perhaps with tales of the treasures they had been seeking themselves.
- The party spent the next day looking around the town. Unfortunately, spending so much time in the town, coupled with some particular things Taryn happened to say out loud gave away a certain secret. They had just met a girl called Sedine at a place in the village called the Well of Shadows when the dragon crashed through the canopy and demanded the artifact from Taryn.
- The encounter started with some uncertainty, but, seeing few other options with respect to protecting his companions, Tyrrox began attacking the beast.
- Mishveerra - the dragon - largely ignored all of the PCs except Taryn until a Kael put an arrow through her eye. Worn down, and now significantly injured, the creature decided the advantage was, surprisingly, no longer hers and remaining was a significant risk. She had pinned her quarry to the ground, and so simply took the the air with her prisoner, and soon was out of sight.
- Mishveera dove back into the lake, and swam to her lair beneath the elven village. When Taryn awoke there, he found himself in an air pocket within a large, ruined building with the dragon and two others: a sly-looking human musician, and a stern, elderly elven woman.
- The party left the city of Igveston, heading to the elven settlement Velgrin which is located on a lake bordering the Charothi Forest.
- In the forest, encountered a kobold hunting party which had partially trapped a large feline. Defeated the kobolds and freed the cat, which lead them to a kobold encampment on the lake shore. Bypassed encampment, group was able to activate the "way" to the elven village - a path which rose from the water
- Settlement showed signs of recent damage, and many of the townsfolk seemed nervous or wary. The group learned from a young priested named Sedine that only recently an odd, combined force of kobolds and troglodytes had attacked the village. The elves were overwhelmed, but were saved in the end by a huge green dragon - who has since all but declared herself ruler of the settlement.
- The dragon soon came looking for the party, demanded they present themselves to her, and proceeded to interrogate them as to who they were, where they came from, what they were doing, etc. The party told her they were looking for Kael's father (which wasn't untrue...). The dragon told them they were permitted to remain in the village "for now"...
- Kael found his wolf and a treent (who turned out to be a dwarven druid) fighting cultists in the Banshee's Wood.
- The group met an old, poor man claiming to own Nephrim's estate living in the sewers underneath the keep. The party agreed to, at least mention the case to the local magistrates.
- Once confident the city has itself in order, the group plans to leave Igveston.
- Taryn tried to salvage his date at Hilleston Hall, but was unsuccessful as he was called away.
- Lily exhausted herself fighting rogues and an illusory dragon at Nephrim Keep, holding them off just long enough for Taryn to arrive.
- Tyrrox patroled the Common Quarter for more basilisks, and rejoined the other two as they investigated a concealed passageway beneath the abandoned keep.
|Sunday June 22, 2014 at 8:00pm||little fears, happy valley, game session notes, trogland||Comments (0) »|
- party talked, spent a couple of days pursuing individual angles
- Taryn made preparations and took Celia Rynowen to the Hilleston Ball (as they had agreed). Toward the end of the night, Taryn gets stabbed by the vengeful doppleganger that had taken her place.
- Tyrrox and Kael are accosted by the House Briglau guard as they needed assistance. Found portion of common quarter that was too quiet and full of statues. Encountered a feindish basilisk and evidence that it may have been summoned by the ritual of a few imps.
- Lily totally rocks the house at the Laughing Jack and makes money before she, too, was found by the Briglau guards whereupon she went to investigate some commotion at the Nephrim Keep.
- The party regroups.
- Lily assists with rebuilding the civic district and pursues mysteries surrounding Many Eyes, Many Teeth and the marked man - which she learns is called Aulthust.
- Tyrrox assists House Briglau with training and bolstering their militia - which is now the main military presence in the city. His efforts result in the Caprinae, a sort of brotherhood within the house militia.
- Taryn boosts morale and his pockets, and impresses some locals.
- Kael unwinds and makes a "friend".
- The party talks to Celia - a psychometrist - about the unusual crossbow bolt that was shot at Tyrrox back in Ettaseph. They find out that it was owned by a man called Maff, who seems to be connected to Many Eyes, Many Teeth as well as a group of bandits.
- The group helps some insectoid formerly-human locals repel a Tetrani attack and learns about the bizarre history of the research installation.
The party helped re-establish order on the Defiant, set out to discover the fate of a military research site in a larger crater on the planet Nago II, and were unexpectedly attacked by aerial Tetrani forces as they made their approach.
RuchtCon IV Con Game
A varied group of 19th-century paranormal investigators discovers the causes behind fires and other mysteries in the gold-rush town of Placerville, CA.
The group deals with some aftermath on the ship after crossing the Zero Line, including an emergent biomorph, some twisted monstrousities, crazed crewmen and belligerent computer systems.
The group explores the derelict frieghter, discovers it comes from beyond the Zero Line, and reports to the captain of their ship, who, in turn, gives the unprecedented order to jump the Line.
|Friday February 7, 2014 at 7:00pm||new campaign, fate core, the zero line, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
System: Fate Core
Setting: The Milky Way Galaxy (Zero Line)
Players: Sheri, Tony, Adam, Tim
The Zero Line is a sci-fi setting based around emergent psionics in the context of an impending galactic apocalypse.
Trya Bucchari (Sheri)
Malcolm Faulknen (Tony)
Kenneth Lockley (Adam)
Trenton Greaves (Tim)
Group is assembled by by the Galactica Humanus Navy, Delphi and the Periphery Initiative to explore a far-periphery system. As they were about to set out, the GHN informed them their mission has changed and they were instead directed to investigate a derelict freighter which recently appeared in a coreward system.
- The group decided to make their way up to the place where they believed the current head of the Academy was being held. When they found her, she suggested they should follow her to where Jekri had gone - to retrieve some kind of artifact that would help him use the Arch.
- The party decide instead to try to find the power source of the machinery, which now seemed to be operating out of control. They found what would have been the power source swarming with Formians, which seemed to be colonizing the upper levels of the Academy. A massive gear portruded from some sort of portal, but it didn't seem to be driving the machinery as much as the machinery was now pushing against it.
- Deducing that the machinery was now powering itself, they followed it back down to the Arch itself, where they found Jekri, the headmistress, and quite a few devils. The arch seemed to be partially powered, but Jekri clearly wasn't happy with its progress.
- The party shattered a kind of spiritual energy repository which was a part of the machinery as the devils and Jekri began to engage them. The portal deactivated and a massive and maddeningly deformed skeleton crashed through the wall of the Academy, collapsing around it.
- Seeing that his plan had failed, Jekri fled the Academy. Reinforcements from House Briglau arrived.
- The next couple of days were spent doing cleanup on the city from the aftermath of these events. Both the Academy and the Hall of Three were significantly damaged, and lost a number of notable leaders.
- Following, the party were guests of honor at a party held by Miala Xerus. The noble houses seem to be gaining prominence in the city.
End Chapter One
- Lily and the others guessed that the key impression in the cover of the book they'd found was made for the key the mephit had given them. When they put it into the book, an opalescent sphere enveloped them for a moment, but the only further effect was the sudden arrival of an ice devil.
- Certain this book was the key (ha!), Lily continued to try to activate it properly while the others held off the devil.
- The party eventually incapacitated the fiend, but, knowing it would soon revive, they decided to flee the library - taking the book with them.
- They eventually found themselves in a relatively secluded room with a large statue of a dragon holding a glass-like green orb. Lily and Kael continued to examine the book, but Taryn was interested in what they'd found. As he approached, the statue spoke, asking him if he desired the orb and warning him that, if he decided he did, it was a decision that could not be reversed. Feeling they needed every edge they could get to combat the current threat, Taryn took it.
- It took both Lily and Kael a few minutes to figure out the book's function, but, when they did, they discovered that placing the attached bookmark in one of the pages (each of which depicted a very specific locale), placing the key in the cover would transport the book and those nearby to the place indicated. Removing the key reversed the effect. In discovering this, they traveled to an ancient dwarven corridor with some sort of distorted or slowed time effect. Inscriptions suggested the place was "waiting" for some divine intervention.
- They studied the book for some time, trying to determine which place the professor they sought (an elf called Valthious) might be in. Ultimately, it was Taryns luck that lead them to him.
- When he realized the group was not sent by Jekri, Valthious was very happy to see them. He was being kept prisoner as and expert on cosomology and the interplay of the planes. Jekri wanted to know if and how the Arch could be weaponized - specifically, made to catasrophically implode.
- Valthious lead the group to a good place to rest - one of the more peaceful locales in the book - and gave them a scroll that could be used to allow their weapons to overcome the resistances of the fiends they faced.
- When the group returned to the Academy, the situation seemed to have worsened. The walls of the tower shook, and an unearthly shrieking could be heard echoing through the halls - over an above the relentless grinding and pounding sounds of infernal machinery...
GMs Note: I'm quite proud of the artifact I created and introduced in this session, dubbed the Book of Urzen'Tu. The book is a large leather and metal bound volume, covered with runes and with a carved resting place for a key in its cover. It has a large, finely-woven bookmark attached to its spine.
Inspired by Myst (one of my favorite cosmologies), the book contains detailed descriptions of hundreds of very specific places - each of which composes/occupies a (relatively) small pocket dimension. Placing the bookmark at one of the location descriptions, closing the book and placing the key in its place in the cover causes the book to instantly transport itself and those nearby to the location described. Removing the key reverses the effect, transporting the book and those with it back to the material plane.
- The party left Jekri's presence and had a brief meeting. While bringing others to "inspect" the premisis might be a good idea, they felt the situation was more urgent that that course of action (alone) suggested.
- The party decided to search for a person called Vex, who supposedly knew where to find a man called Valthious who was imprisoned.
- The group caught site of a person matching Vex's unusual description outside some sort of devilish counting house.
- Vex told them Valthious was being "kept" in a library of one of the other academy towers.
- The party found their way to said library, where they found a large book with a carved resting place for a bronze key...
[Brandon] Jekri - villain
- Deciding the machinery they saw was attempting to activate or power the Arch, they decided to try to hunt down its own power source. After a brief altercation with a formian taskmaster and its servitors, the group began ascending the tower, following the machinery.
- The party encountered several more unusual rooms where mortals were engaging in a variety of distorted behaviors, carefully watched by devils.
- Eventually, the party found themselves in a great hall-like room several floors up. It was populated with a number of well-dressed mortals, but no devils were seen. The hosts of the room flattered and begged the party to stay and socialze with them. Kael and Taryn seemed particularly persuaded, Kael by a man lauding his obvious leadership, and Taryn by a beautiful young woman who desired his company. In the end, it was Lily that all by dragged the others from the room.
- It was on the 15th floor that Taryn happened upon an ice devil standing guard outside a significant-looking room. He was accompanied by Jekri.
- Around this time, Lily had met a mephit who gave to her a key, asking her to "rescue" a professor by the name of Valthious. It mentioned that a person(?) called "Vex" would know where to find him.
- The group parlayed with Jekri for several minutes - at a safe distance of about 70 feet. Jekri told them he had no interested in Igveston itself, but that the Academy was rightfully his. He also promised them his activities would not affect the surrounding city, and that, if they truly could not be persuaded otherwise, they could bring a small contigent in to "inspect". Tomorrow.
- as the angel, called Ceria, had burst in, the meeting erupted with outbursts, which continued until a new figure appeared - some kind of fiend called 'Lavarent' - operating as an ambassador for Jekri.
- Ceria's cohorts began to assault the newcomer once his nature was revealed, but Miala demanded Taryn and the others stop it - which they managed to do, after a fashion. The fiend did little more besides warn those present that any attempt to interfere would be met with resistance. This did little to shake Ceria's resolve.
- At this point, the meeting began to fracture. Rothan, seeing little more he could do, departed after being confronted by Tyrrox. Reynold and Miala were still unhappy about the interlopers, but recognized they could do little. The PCs seemed inclined to, if not join the angel, at least operate in tandem.
- The angel informed them that she and her forces planned to march on the pit immediately. The party then decided to try to find their way into the academy from the underground.
- Ona called for volunteers at the Hall of Three to aid in the assault on the pit. It so happened the Batu, after being instructed to deliver a letter to the Hall, had managed to secure a room there for the night. Upon hearing the summons, he eagerly joined the cause to show his strength.
- Sensing some cunning in him, Ona discussed their strategy and the two decided a flanking maneuver would be most beneficial. Since Ceria and her forces were drawing most of the attention, Ona, Batu and their guard managed to scale to the bottom of the pit from the opposite side - where they encountered the barbed lord devil the party had previously encountered. He was standing near two, twisted bronze columns which had some sort of metal clamps fastened to them, with ropes trailing into some sort of mirror-like object.
- The party managed to break into the Academy from below. Inside they found that it had been completely infested with devils who seemed to have forced or enticed the mortals within to engage in all manner of unseemly behavior. In the main hallways, the encountered massive, infernal machinery into which some unlucky mortals had already been grafted. Beyond it, in a large open chamber, they could see the Galdzuri arch, a golden-purple aura pulsing around it...
[Kevin] Batu - Sylvan Elf Barbarian
- The party spent some time discussing what to do with Morran's body. They quickly decided they wanted to use 'speak with dead' to try to learn more, but they were considering certain logistics.
- The group ultimately decided they wanted to use the spell in the presence of the Hall of Three as well as some of the local nobles in an effort to unify them against whatever was going on.
- After some doing, they convinced Miala Xerus to arrange for a midnight council meeting.
- The party asked Morran about what was going on at the academy and what it could mean if the devils' efforts were successful. Most of this was stuff that the party had already learned, but they wanted the others to be able to hear it straight from Morran.
- While they were still talking, representatives from House Briglau burst in, lead by a wild and angelic figure - saying that if the local law would not cast out the devils, they would take matters into their own hands.
- Aside: An elf called Batu (Kevin) arrives in town, only to find the gates closed. He has a brief altercation with a racist bartender and meets up with a dwarven cleric.
Next Session Theory: Friday, Oct 18th.
- The party heard some hell hounds approaching and decided to split up and make their way back to the Laughing Jack
- Kael went to the temple to speak with Ona Macrath about what was going on in the Undercity (but not about Morran in particular). On the way there, he met a young woman who seemed interested in him.
- After discovering where Kael was staying, the woman - actually a doppleganger - took on Kael's form and went back to the Laughing Jack, where it killed Elivius Morran. Before it could escape, however, the party caught up and killed it as it fled.
- Tyrrox finished his community service and returned to the Hall of Three to retrieve his weapons that were being held. Upon arriving, he was challenged to a duel by Aegus Rothan, one of the more militant priests of the hall. After the fight, Tyrrox was invited to eat and drink with the hall soldiers. During the conversations, Rothan mentioned that he'd encountered an ibixian before - a man he called Kiveg, who was supposedly Tyrrox's uncle.
- When the group reassembled, Taryn told them he'd had a dream about Morran in the undercity and thought he knew where to go - a place called The Junk Room.
- Kael helped the group find the market that was near the place. When they arrived, they found the proprietor, and old woman, being harrased by a few armed thugs. Taryn managed to talk them down.
- The group found out from the woman that Morran had come to talk to her, and that he wanted some help healing a kind of magical wound. She didn't seem happy about the visit.
- Kael decided to see if he could find out where the thugs went. The group caught up with them near their hideout in the Undercity, and a fight ensued. After defeating the thugs, they found a familiar tattoo on their foes, and someone in an old cloak and fine robes tied up inside.
- The group shut themselves in the tavern, hoping they weren't seen by the hell hounds and bearded devils running by outside. In the back room, they found a crevince in the earth behind the loose wall paneling. They began to tear off the boards and squeeze through the narrow passage when one of the bearded devils burst into the building.
- They managed to fight off the devil and escape into a vacant alleyway and head back to the nicer section of town.
- The group went to the Hall of Three and spoke with Ona Macrath about the devil incursion. She says it will take a few days to prepare to march on the invaders.
- The group then dispersed. Lily wanted to study some about an ancient arch Ona had mentioned, Taryn decided to try to divine a course of action, Kael decided to return to the Undercity to gather more information about the devils, and Tyrrox still needed to finish his "community service".
- They met with Ona the next afternoon, and she told them that there were some in the hall that were a little less hurried to engage the devil forces - so there may be delay as powers-that-be decide on an "appropriate" course of action.
[Tim] Kael - Half-Elf Ranger
- The group catch sight of one of the men they'd overheard heading back to the Civic district. They followed him back to the Knight's Chamber, but didn't directly talk to him.
- The following day, the group encountered him talking to one of the local nobles, and they spent some time chatting with an elderly man of House Alphast.
- The group decided to return to the Undercity in search of information. They end up in a small hole-in-the-wall tavern, but find the patrons dispondent. They were still trying to get them to talk when they were attacked by a pair of imps and their lemure minions.
- Taryn had taken the bartender outside for some fresh air, and happened upon a giant hole in the middle of the undercity - filled with devils and enslaved commoners. The two hurried back to the tavern, but not before raising the alarm in the pit. Back at the tavern, they were met by Kael, an old acquaintence of Taryn's - just before they heard the baying of approaching hounds...
- The party met with Miala Xerus, who paid them some gold up front and offered a bounty on any particularly relevant information they could uncover. She wants to know what is going on in the city.
- Miala has heard some interesting rumours - including that Morran was seen heading into the poor quarter and that the Hall of Three might have set up the bombing on their temple themselves.
- The group is to perform for house Xerus in 7 days - and deliever their news to Miala.
- After meeting with Miala, the party decides to start by heading to the poor quarter to see if they can get some trace of the schoolmaster. They ended up at a run-down "inn" in the poor quarter called "Rest for the Weary"
- Lily overheard a meeting between two locals and someone from out of town mentioning Devric
- After hearing the Hall guard was entering the premesis, Devric ran out of the room downstairs; Lily and Tyrrox followed him.
- Taryn lingered behind long enough to encounter the ghost they'd previously seen. They had a brief conversation about the now-departing intruders, and it seemed to go well until Taryn mentioned a woman he'd seen in a painting downstairs. This upset the ghost terribly and caused it to wail uncontrollably.
- Downstairs, Devric used some sort of potion to activate the arcane circle, and images of rocky prominences jutting up from a fetid sea began to take shape in the mists above the floor, eventually revealing a massive hydra and a pair of disembodied voices. The barrier between the worlds seemed to weaken, and water began pouring onto the manor floor - along with several small demons.
- Meanwhile, the Hall guard arrived outside and were busy attempting to cross the courtyard while the keep's guardian seemed disinclined to allow them.
- Taryn caught up with the others downstairs in time to be mutated by corruptive energies which were now pouring from the circle. Lily tried to convince Devric to end the ritual, but the man seemed to be becoming more and more mad.
- When the ritual did finally end a couple of rounds later, Devric collapsed on the floor, chuckling madly to himself. The Hall guard finally gained entrance, searched the place and took all those present into custody.
- The party was taken to the holding cells in the basement of the Hall of Three, where they were held until trial. The trials were held individually, and involved each of the accused accounting for his/her actions to a group of assembled clergy whereupon one was called to make a final and swift judgement. In general, the judges agreed that the party's statements were basically true and that they were only guilty of breaking and entering.
- After the trials, the group encountered Miala, a noblewoman who had previously attempted to contact them, and they agreed to meet with her later that evening.
- The party followed the others' lead into the abandoned keep. They avoided the treant guardian in the courtyard and made their way to the large manorhouse between the two large towers.
- Inside they found the place had been disturbed recently, but only on certain places. A noteworthy feature of the entry/foyer area was the fact that the carpeting and furniture had been shoved to the edges of the room to make way for an arcane circle which had been painted in red on the floor. There was also a red eye painted on the wall in once corner.
- The group was making their way upstairs, when they were ambushed by some invisible rogues. They fought them off enough that the rogues retreated. Upstairs, they found a room that was strangely undisturbed, clean and in good order. Upon leaving the room, however, they were ambushed again, this time by a more coordinated attack. The ensuing fight proved difficult.
- As the encounter was wrapping up, another man arrived upstairs. He seemed startled to see them, but quickly regained his composure. He seemed to be the "leader" of whatever was going on, and he offered them a considerable sum just to walk away. While the party was still interrogating him, another man came running in, telling them that the Hall guard was coming..
- A message had been left for the party from Miala Xerus, a noble of the ruling House. She had something she wanted them to do and that they would be paid for the efforts. The message stated they were invited to the Xerus Estate, but the Hall guards outside insisted that Miala was no present and that they would not be allowed inside.
- Encountered a bit of a commotion outside the the Hall of Three, where a priest or paladin called Ona was irate - insisting on taking a contingent of armed guards to the Magus Academy, forcing entry and demanding answers from those who were clearly responsible for the previous night's attack. She was arguing with another priest she called Ivan, who insisted she should not act rashly.
- The party had written a letter to the Master about the magical crossbow bolt that had been shot at Tyrrox in Ettaseph - wanting to know more about it and if who had fired it could be tracked down magically. They decided they'd go and see if they could get anyone's attention from outside. They managed to attract the attention of an old priest called Occulous. He seemed a little crazy, but was generally conversive. He apparently had nothing to do with the sealing of the grounds and was interested in the crossbow bolt, though the wards on the grounds prevented them from passing it through to him. He did say he would try to get Master Morran their message, but he didn't expect it would be paid much attention.
- The party returned to the Xerus Estate to try again, but they were once more told Miala was not present and that they would not be granted entry. They then decided to take a closer look at the unoccupied keep Bradley Durn had told them about (and where they expected the ghost they'd encountered previously had come from). While looking around, Taryn witnessed some suspicious figures sneaking into the keep by way of the second floor of a neighboring house.
- The group entered the house and were attacked by some thugs with a tattoo of the symbol of the eye with the tooth they'd seen before.
- Spent some time at The Laughing Jack making friends with the proprietor.
- Did a little poking around town. Planned to go to the Magus Academy, but discovered it had been unexpectedly sealed off following a heated argument at a counsel meeting the previous night.
- Talked their way into the Keep District of the town. Escorted by a young guardsman by the name of Bradley Durn who seemed to be connected to House Briglau. He told them some basic info about the estates in the district, and about the nobles who live there.
- Lily talked to a priest called Salemnor at the Hall of Three (a temple to St. Cuthbert) about getting some historical info on the town and its nobility. He told her it would take a few days and told her of the fees required.
- Later that night, they witnessed a couple of large explosions at the Hall of Three. They rushed to the scene and attempted to help the efforts to contain the insuing chaos.
|Saturday March 23, 2013 at 12:00pm||mouse guard, thistle & thorns, game session notes, ruchtcon||Comments (0) »|
- A group of ferrets had been sighted north of Lockhaven near Thistledown, and a patrol was sent to expell them and to check up on Thistledown.
- As they entered the area and investigated the situation, they found that the town had had a rough year as unprecedented flooding had ruin much of their store, and a dramatic infestation of thorns which had grown quickly and relentlessly since early spring was interfering with life in the village. Their bad luck seemed to have started after they expelled a crazy old witch-mouse, and some believe she placed a curse on the town.
- The group ultimately discovered that the flooding and thorns had been the direct result of intentional acts, and suspected that the witch-mouse had somehow enlisted the help of the roaming ferrets.
- The group was finally able to track down the ferrets and drive them out of the region, but the witch-mouse was nowhere to be found...
- the party tied up some loose ends in Ettaseph after having aided in solving the treeant problem. they stayed for a couple of days to help with some aftermath and to talk to a few more locals.
- one man they met was Ulbrus Marc, a cleric of Fharlanghn, who was traveling through the area. By the end of their conversation, however, his jovial spirit had become worried and he informed them he was heading back to his homeland of Uldul Ferrik immediately.
- the party caught up with the cleric again the next day, whereupon he told them he was concerned about their description of the man with the two-headed-dragon tattoo. Apparently there was some lore in his town related to multi-headed serpent - regarding it as an ancient evil.
- the group, however, continued to Igveston to see if they could find out anything about a man they'd heard of with a different mark: an eye and tooth motif, as well as to, perhaps, seek information about the lost dungeon they're seeking.
- shortly after arriving the in the city (late that night), they were accosted by a ghost who behaved oddly and was complaining about intruders in his house and insisting the group do something about it.
- party returns to town and, with the help of a young woman called Relia, tells the tree lord what they had found, pleads that the humans are not responsible, and negotiates for the release of the remaining women the trees are holding captive.
- party enjoys and evening at Loreth's tavern, where they are harolded as heroes by the locals
- On the way back to their inn, Taryn and Tyrrox are attacked by a sniper using and explosive crossbow bolt and several shadowy goblinoid figures - all seeming to be orchestrated only to leave a message: "You have wandered into our midst; we are always watching"
- The party questioned some locals about some iconography they've encountered (an eye with a tooth), and also some involvement in recent events.
- The party learned from some of the townspeople that the bandits were suspected of having taken up residence in the exhausted silver mine a few miles outside of town. That didn't make much sense for what was known about the bandits, but if the dryads were being held anywhere nearby, it seemed the most likely.
- They headed out to the mine to investigate, and encountered kobold traps and a small band of the creatures as well as some malnurished wolves they seemed to have been keeping.
- As they were finishing up, a dryad came stumbling out of the cave, begging them to return her to her tree far to the north. They led her out of the canyon, but they became suspicious when she insisted on the group escorting her all the way to her home tree, refused to return to town and claimed to be too weak to use any of her own abilities. Lily cast Dispel Magic on her, and her dryad visage dissolved revealing a hideous hag, which shrieked and then vanished.
- The party returned to the mine. Inside, they were attacked by more kobolds before they stumbled into the mine's primary denizen - a massive, 6-headed hydra.
- The ensuing fight was viscious, but ultimately the massive beast was brought down, whereupon the hag came shrieking from one of the side tunnels, cursing the party for killing her pet. Knowing they were in no shape to continue fighting, Taryn offered the hag a deal - he would keep her pet from dying if she would give them the dryads.
- The hag told them she only had one dryad, and, after retrieving it, she and the newly-revived hydra disappeared into a deep pool of water. It wasn't until after they'd gone that the party saw pieces of finely-polished wood, punctured with massive teeth marks and oozing sap, scattered around the beast's lair...
|Saturday February 9, 2013 at 6:00pm||new campaign, d&d, cyrran reaches, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
System: Dungeons & Dragons v3.5
Setting: The Cyrran Reaches
Players: Sheri, Tony, Adam
[Adam] Tyrrox - Ibixian Fighter
[Tony] Taryn - Human Cleric of Olidammara
[Sheri] Lily - Human Bard
- Party traveling with small caravan (lead by a man called Ruglan), is waylaid by bandits. After fighting them off, they arrive in the settlement Ettaseph
- Spend some time talking to people in town, learning some interesting things about the Old Oak Inn, Loreth's Tavern, the Orchard and the settlement in general.
- The town is attacked by treants, who seem intent only on capturing the women of the village.
- When the treants' leader comes to the village, it wants to speak with someone no knows. With the help of a local druid, they learn that the person in question was a centaur who helped establish the old "accords" between the humans and the fey of the Charothi forest. More pressingly, however, it seems that some dryads had been kidnapped and would soon die if they were not found...
- Concluded negotiations with goblins, humans granted right to settle on island under some conditions.
- After some time, talk resumes of continuing the expedition, to see what else is out there. In all likelihood, the Wind's Wings will be sailing forth soon, while most of the expedition remains for rest and repairs...
- Met Elistanna, agreed to aid her in exchange for help negotiating with the goblin ruler, as the expedition needed more time before it could possibly leave, and might even prefer to remain.
- Organized a meeting with the goblins, offered cooperation, trade and exchange of information in exchange for the right to settle part of the island.
- Back on the Wind's Wings, the deck hands were hailed by a group of men in long boats approaching the vessel. The approaching men claimed captain Collette had sent them to the ship to retrieve additional tools and blasting supplies from the ship's hold. Once some were on board, they turned on the Wind's Wings' crew. The ensuing battle was bloody and hard-fought, but the Wind's Wings' crew ultimately prevailed.
[.end auxilliary scene]
- meanwhile, the group in the goblin canyon decided to make a break for the surface. being stealthy was going to be difficult if not impossible and they really didn't want to engage an entire civilization in combat, but options seemed limited. As they darted down catwalks and through stone halls, they did their best to avoid groups of the goblins. They didn't realize until too late that they were being intentionally drive downward - deeper into the hive.
- ultimately, the group ended up cornered and driven into a large cavernous hall filled with dozens of goblins. These, however, had a very different appearance to those they had previously encountered. Their skin was more of a blue grey, and they wore nice though exceptionally worn robes and exotic jewelry tarnished with age. One sat on a large throne in the far corner of the room. When they entered, he began speaking to them.
- the goblin "king" informed them that they - and their fellow "creatures" - were encroaching upon his territory. He told them that they had three days to leave the island or else they would be annihalated. One of the other goblins seemed to want to say something, but the king quieted her. The group was then permitted to leave the hall through a tunnel that ultimately led them back to the forest on the surface.
- upon returning to the beach, they began telling the expedition leaders about the situation and that the island wasn't safe, when they were interrupted by some commotion further inland. Making its way through the encampment was a small, hooded figure. When it removed its hood, the group recognized the goblin from that had tried to speak in the king's hall.
- the creature that had emerged from the sunken city had only started speaking - in some language Zatara inexplicably understood - when skeletal figures began emerging from the water onto the building tops around the group. The conflict escalated until the first creature was dragged back into the pool and a bright burst of light swallowed the room. When it subsided, the skeletons were gone.
- the group followed the caverns and tunnels out of the city until they found themselves in a small cavern with a hole in the ceiling through which some light filtered - though it was occupied by a group of crazed goblin-like creatures.
- the group was eventually able to climb up and out of the hole, the wall near which seemed specifically designed to prevent it. Above they found themselves in a small, hewn stone room which apparently acted as a kind of jail. The room exited onto a wooden walkway attached to the cliff-side of a massive canyon wall.
- the canyon was honeycombed with hundreds of similar chambers, connected by catwalks, ladders, stairs and lifts. A river of magma flowed out of the far canyon wall and plunged down to the canyon floor somewhere below - and steam billowed up from those depths. Most concerning though, was that there were goblins everywhere.
Guest PC: [Pat] Delilah O'Mari - Artisan/Smith
- the group had finished their conversation with Kilmer on the beach, and were following him through the crowd to speak with the ship captains. Before they had made it off the beach, they ran into Caroline with a middle-aged woman - just as the ground shook with a tremendous earthquake. The ground beneath them collapsed inward, and a torrent of water from the sea washed them down into a massive cavern.
- it took the group some time to collect themselves. The opening above them had re-sealed itself in the cave-in, and it was completely dark. Breeze and Zatara managed to catch themselves on a higher ledge, but Lucas and the woman, called Delilah, were washed into a larger pool further in.
- Lucas and Delilah began planning a way to produce a light source, while Breeze and Zatara tried to feel their way down to the others. When Lucas called out for Caroline again, she answered him from some distance away, as a blue light began to emanate from her direction, illuminating a massive cavern - at the far side of which was the facade of a large, palacial building which had, apparently, been consumed by the cavern. The architecture and design were unrecognizable.
- As Lucas approached the building, a large, mangy wildcat emerged and pounced on him - though it's diseased state was apparently ill-suited to subduing the sailor, and he eventually put it down.
- Deciding they could not return to the surface the way they came, they headed through the palace, hoping there was a way out the other side. Breeze discovered a kind of workshop down one of the limestone-coated halls. In addition to some unusual objects, the workroom also contained the remains of a mural which depicted a building similar to the one they were in as well as the bow of a great ship.
- While they were investigating the palace, they were attacked by some large insect-like creatures, which they managed to fend off without significant injuries.
- When the group managed to work their way through the building, they emerged into another massive cavern complex, which contained the buildings of a sizable city. Near the center of the city was a large flooded area, which was bubbling and issuing steam. As they approached, a strange, morphing being emerged from the pool and began approaching them, speaking in a strange, nearly-subsonic voice...
- as the group settled into camp, Lucas noticed that Morgan, one of the men from his ship he'd brought along, wasn't around, and no one really seemed to know where he went. They were concerned that whoever had been watching the camp had captured him.
- the next morning, the three took Julia and began tracking the prints she'd found back to their origin. This lead them a considerable distance to the west where they entered a hilly region and eventually began to see signs of human(?) presence - namely, the stumps of some trees that had clearly been chopped down. When Julia did not return from scouting ahead, the group rounded a bend and found themselves in a kind of forest village, seemingly composed largely of lumber scavenged from wrecked ships.
- the village appeared empty, but the group got the clear impression people were present. Lucas decided to take a direct approach, walking to the center of town and calling out - saying they meant no harm to any of them, and that if they were castaways, their expedition could offer some assitance.
- the speech was responded to by a variety of individuals, several of which seemed to have differing motives. There were a series of half conversations, offers and threats before a man called Cerrick started hostilities and a brief skirmish erupted, during which Julia was freed. After the assailents were defeated, more talks insued. It turned out that the village was composed of a variety of castaways from at least three different ships. Most of them were much more inclined to negotiate than Cerrick had been, and were keenly interested in what this expedition could offer them (in one way or another). The group spent the rest of the day talking with the inhabitants, learning about who they were and about the island they now occupied - even looking at a rough map one of the villagers had drawn of the island. When Lucas asked about Morgan, he learned from a woman, Roxanne, that he had come to speak with Cerrick the night before.
- the next morning, they returned to the beach, where most of the expedition had now landed and land was being cleared for a more permanent, temporary camp. Many of the passengers and crew were enjoying the chance to be on land once again. The group informed Kilmer of what they had learned, and asked if Morgan had returned. Kilmer told them that Morgan had returned in the late morning, saying that he'd gotten lost in the forest the night before.
- the group met with the expedition leaders and formed a survey team to be lead jointly by Lucas and Kilmer. It was composed of Lucas, Breeze and Zatara as well as Kilmer, Josiah and Hal (two sailors from the Wind's Wings), Morgan and Alexander (two sailors from the New Legacy), and Van and Julia (two hunter/woodsman types who were passengers on the Grand Alexis). Their goals were to scout the immediate area so that the expedition proper could make a safe landing, and discern whatever was possible about the nature of the island in general.
- the survey team decided to land where Breeze had spotted a couple streams flowing into the harbor. They decided to split up and each hike a mile or two inland following the streams. The teams discovered that the streams joined a river which originated at the closest mountain. The edges of the forest were very dense with undergrowth, but the interior contained larger trees with a thicker canopy and the forest floor was remarkably open. They also discovered a marshland to the west where Van found some interesting tracks.
- when they met again on the beach, Van and Julia discussed the tracks and wanted to return to where they had been found - at the edge of the swamp. The three accompanied them. There they caught site of a small, grotesque but humanoid creature. When they pursued it, they found themselves ambushed by several more of the goblin-like creatures - two of them riding massive lizard-like beasts, the tracks of which Van had found earlier in the day. In the skirmish, Lucas was severely injured, though the others were able to drive off the remaining attakers.
- when they returned to the beach, it was well after dusk and Kilmer and the others were making camp for the night. Julia noticed several sets of boot-prints at the edge of the camp, behind a rise - a place where none of them had been...
- Lucas made his way back down to the Grand Arcadia, thinking he might grab some coin from one of the chests and make a run for it now that it seemed quiet. Once down at the ship however, he encountered a strange woman who was speaking enigmatically to a barely-conscious Julius who'd been pinned to something like a large red sofa with 4 large black spikes. The room was lit with a reddish glow by rows of paper lanterns hanging around the hold. She seemed to be interested in what Julius was looking for and whether he found it. When Lucas arrived, she turned her attention to him. Being around her seemed to cause his mind to call up random and vivid memories.
- meanwhile, Breeze, Zatara and Kilmer made their way further into the rock tunnel. They encountered a great snake in a bone-filled cavern. As they tried to escape, Breeze was bitten and flung across the room, collapsing in a bone pile on the other side. Kilmer tried to revive her - to no avail - while Zatara finally managed to drive off the snake after wounding it. Despite Kilmer's concerns about moving her, they didn't have much choice, and that since the snake retreated down the tunnel they'd come through, they decided to continue in hopes there was another way out.
- the tunnel continued to another cavern - this one covered with rune-like carvings - and eventually up and out onto and exterior cliffside that seemed to merge with old, carved ruins. There they encountered a young woman humming to herself and painting random designs on the stone around her. She seemed excited to see the newcomers, but their conversation had only started when another woman appeared from the tunnel behind them. This second woman was older and with features that seemed to blur when observed directly. She attempted to convince the young girl that these intruders must be destroyed and ordered her to do so, while Zatara and Kilmer made the case that they meant her no harm. Eventually the tense situation eroded as the girl ran sobbing from the room, and the other woman vanished in anger. The path continued to the summit of the rock where they found a kind of look-out post, but no way down to the shore. Frustrated and tired, they realized they'd have to go back. Fortunately, the descent was relatively unobstructed and they soon rejoined the two sailors they'd left outside the tunnel. Breeze had stabilized and was breathing, but could not be revived.
- Lucas spoke uneasily with the strange woman in the wrecked ship for some time, trying to discern who she was. Conversation with her seemed disjointed, however, and she tended to jump lines of inquiry unexpectly. She eventually became frustrated with him and returned to Julius. As the light from the lanters began to suddenly fade to darkness, Lucas, throughly disconcerted, made his way back outside and, upon locating one of the long boats that was still intact, returned to the New Legacy with news that the landing party had not gone as planned.
- Breeze was revived a couple of days later by a strange, old woman called Agatha who was a passenger on the Grand Alexis. There had been much talk, and it had been decided that the expedition would continue toward their original target island. The journey was not easy on anyone, however. Overall morale had been crumbling for some time, and an as-yet-unsolved murder (a man called Darren, apparently repeatedly stabbed by someone) that happened only a few days out from the rock-isle made matters worse - even with Breeze and another performer named Brooke doing their best to keep people optimistic. It was nearly a week past the time they "should have" reached the island on their heading, but when land was finally sighted, they found an island even larger than they had anticipated...
- The expedition set out toward the theoretical large, volcanic island. As they proceeded, their course veered northward near the rocky island they had previously discussed and, since the opportunity had presented itself, they decided a slight detour may be worthwhile.
- The expedition was caught in a sudden storm as they approached the island which threatened to capsize them or drive them into the rocky shore. Fortunately, the storm disappated as quickly as it had hit and, while the Winds Wing's sustained some minor damage, it seemed largely intact. The Grand Alexis was no longer visible, however, but Collette seemed to think the captain had chickened out and headed back east away from the storm.
- The captains of the two remaining ships met briefly and decided upon a plan of action until the expedition's leaders (largely on the Grand Alexis) rejoined them. The New Legacy would sail northward to circumvent the island and the Wind's Wings would send a survey team ashore. Breeze and Zatara were part of the survey team, but the leader, the first mate Kilmer, said he was unable to find Lucas before they cast off.
- Lucas had, in fact, returned to the New Legacy at the invitation of Julius Edmund, the first mate of that ship. He had made some mention of personal gain and Lucas suspected that Edmund had something up his sleeve. After a couple hours of sailing, the New Legacy spotted Edmund's target - the wreck of an enourmous ship on the island coast. Lucas recognized the ship as the Grand Arcadia - a sister ship of the Grand Alexis that was said to have disappeared with a large cargo of silver, jewels and other treasures.
- Julius led a contigent of crew ashore - along with Lucas. He seemed somewhat confused but unconcerned with the fact that the ground around the wreck was littered with the skeletons of sailors - most of whom showed obvious signs of violent death. Julius led the group into the bow hold of the great ship where they found more skeletons and dozens of chests full of treasure. They soon found themselves attacked by water-soaked zombie-like sailors who had come up and out of the sea. Seeing a losing battle, Lucas began to climb up and out of the hold, but the frantic Julius seemed unwilling or unable to join him. Outside, Lucas saw the wreck was beset by hundreds of zombie-like warriors, some of them pulling on glowing, spectral lines trying to drag the wreck into the ocean.
- Lucas jumped from the stern of the ship and fought the surf back to shore away from the onslaught. When he finally reached the outcropping above the ship, he was surprised to find that he could see no trace of the zombie horde - but neither could he see or hear any sign of the New Legacy crewmen.
- Meanwhile, Zatara and Breeze found themselves in the forest on the backside of the rock-mountain that was the island's prominent feature - and face to face with a giant. It was nearly 20 feet in height, even hunched over as it was. Its features were deformed and it seemed of primitive intellect as it did little besides howl and attempt to smash them with a great tree-trunk of a club. They had noticed a carved doorway in the cliffside behind the creature, but only they and Kilmer were able to avoid the giant's blows and reach it. The three of them saw the other two sailors (one of them injured) make their way northward away from the clearing as the giant howled and bludgeoned the cilff face outside.
- the ghostly woman began questioning Lucas in some unknown language, becoming more and more urgent until Lucas answered the question she seemed to be asking in the affirmative - at which point she relented and her form began to disappate.
- Zatara was approached by a young girl - perhaps 7 or 8 - and she asked him if he would take her to her mother. Upon reaching the temple room where Lucas and Breeze were still looking at each other as though unsure of what just happened, the girl directed her attention of Lucas, calling him "Mother", and asking if they would finally be going home.
- As eveing approached, the group left the mountain and headed back toward the village, where they noticed they could see no torchlights. Upon arriving in Basnet, they found the place deserted - apparently for some time.
- Lucas insisted he needed a drink, and made his way toward the Dockside tavern. It, too, appeared to have been unoccupied for at least a decade, though the bar was still stocked with untouched spirits (though they tasted a bit off). It wasn't until they were getting ready to leave that they noticed the woman who had told Lucas about "Old Caroline". She had been sitting at a table in the corner near the door, chuckling to herself. When the others saw her, she made her way to the exit telling them over her shoulder "This won't be the strangest thing you will encounter in these waters!", before pushing the door open and heading into the dark night. Breeze chased after her, bursting through the door just after it had closed behind the woman, but she could find no trace of the gossip outside.
- The group returned to the Wind's Wings and informed the captain of what had happened (and offered some explanation as to the girl that was accompanying them).
- The following day, the New Legacy and Grand Alexis arrived, but there was to be no landfall. The crew of the Wind's Wings scoured the abandoned village for anything of use, but thereafter the expedition decided to press on past Basnet. They decided to alter course to the north, however, when a lingering and forboding storm on the southwestern horizon refused to disappate.
- The expedition's cheif navigator presented some sea charts to a meeting of the expedition leaders and a few others gathered to discuss course. He mentioned three islands - a southern coral atoll closer to their original projected course, a rocky prominence to the north west and a rumoured large, volcanic island beyond it. The existence of none of these islands had been confirmed, but as part of the expedition's goals was exploration and since the stop at Basnet had not gone according to plan, investigating one or more seemed reasonable.
- There was some discussion as to what course should be taken, but the majority seemed to favor seeking out the large island as the other two seemed to have relatively little to offer...
- the party struggled with the "fish-man" until Breeze wounded it and it fled - crashing through a parlor window
- as it did, a man entered the house/inn and seemed to be asking where it had gone. Fredrick seemed to blame him.
- only moments later, they heard commotion outside and saw that a fire had started in the town.
- the group joined the firefighting efforts and ended up engaging two other "fish-men" at the periphery of the scene
- the following morning they met with the captain. Breeze was concerned that Lucas (and possibly herself) had become "infected"
- they talked with the local Chairman about the expedition as well as the previous night's adventure
- Lucas spoke with a local gossip about "Old Caroline", a witch who had "died" as a child, supposedly lived on the moutain and was "certainly" responsible for the fish-man curse
- the next day, the group decided to investigate the mountain and the rumors of the "witch". Near the top, they found a boulder, next to which was some sand, seashells and the skeleton of a small, humanoid figure wearing a gold necklace (which Lucas, who had been having some strange feelings about the place, decided to pick up and put on).
- behind the boulder was a cave entrance with carved steps leading down into a ruined temple-like chamber with a large bronze sun. They were still examining their surroundings when animated skeletons began attacking them.
- as the group was destroying the last of the skeletons, a ghost-like woman entered the temple. It stopped briefly to say something to Zatara - touching its finger to his forehead - but seemed to take a greater interest in Lucas. Specifically, the necklace he was now wearing...
|Saturday August 25, 2012 at 3:00pm||new campaign, savage worlds, savage seas, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
[Sheri] Clara "Breeze" - Wind's Wings crew, sea singer
[Tony] Lucas - Ex-priate, Wind's Wings conscript
[Adam] "Zatara" - Castaway, amnesiac
- the party aboard the Wind's Wings (captain William Collette) was ~3 days ahead of the rest of the expedition. The ship was just arriving at Basnet, an island fishing village and the western-most point of the commonly-travelled sea. This was the last stop in the known world before the expedition was to head into the western sea.
- it was a bit after sunset, and the captain sent the group ashore to ask get the harbormaster's permission to moore the next day, as well as to speak with the local authority about the arrival of the rest of the expedition and to ask about the availability of provisions for the expedition's resupply.
- on their way into the village, they encountered a nearly-capsized fishing ketch. They helped the three crewman right the vessel, though there seemed to be something more to the situation than the captain's explanation of a 'freak accident'.
- in the village, the group spoke with the harbormaster and the proprietor of the local tavern. The patrons of the dockside establishment seemed unusually dour, though the bartender explained that many were simply tired of their monotonous. He also steered them toward the town's "inn", which rarely saw customers. The innkeeper and his wife were indeed very happy to see them.
- it was some hours into the night when they were awakened by the sounds of a scuffle in the lobby area of the house-turned-inn. They arrived on the scene just in time to be nearly deafened by the report of a musket being fired indoors. Before the black-powder smoke obsured their vision, they caught a glimpse of a scaley, hunched creature with bat-like ears and a maw full of tiny, pointed teeth...
|Saturday July 7, 2012 at 5:00pm||new campaign, world of darkness, scarecrow, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
[Tony] Thomas Cain - Desert Storm veteran, former Mayor
[Adam] - Prize Fighter
[Sheri] - Private investigator
Characters belong to a quasi-secret organization called Scarecrow. The organization's nominal goals are to prevent the unhuman from gaining too much power, particularly where human administrative structures are involved. Scarecrow is, however, a self-serving entity and generally keeping an eye out for profit.
The PCs have been in a mid-sized, east-coast city called New Auburn for 3 to 6 months, going about their own business...
"It's just like the dream..."
"Hold it right there, partner!"
"I wanted to be a hero!"
"Batman has forsaken me..."
|Saturday June 30, 2012 at 9:00pm||little fears, happy valley, game session notes, trogland||Comments (0) »|
Dee Dee, Tommy, James, Suzie, [Reverent]
"I'm going to the retillary room..."
"What? My mommy said it means 'baby mice'..."
"I'm invisible...I'm invisible...I'm baby mice-ing invisible!"
"I've seen the counselors go up there. They always use the buddy system."
"Yeah, I just faint."
|Friday June 29, 2012 at 9:00pm||little fears, happy valley, game session notes, trogland||Comments (0) »|
Sheri, Scotty, Katie, 'Manda, Phil, Mason
"I'm squishing myself into the corner as tightly as I can."
"My sister's mean..."
"Then why are you scared?"
"We have to all hold hands in a circle, with one person in the middle, and sing the camp song..."
- The group arrives at Vic's old hideout, is attacked by spider-like bots - a number of tiny ones and one, giant spider bot.
- The group destroys the smaller spiders and Vic cuts the power to the hideout - which seemed to cause the giant spider bot to lose interest in the area.
- When the spider was gone, the group repaired themselves and made ready to return to the factory.
- The Administrator bot in the party convinced the eccentric door to the facility to let them in. The group wandered the facility until they found a room with TC, her toy, Bolt, and two factory bots.
- The subsequent encounter involved the two factory bots (armed with stun pistols) and some animate cages that attempted to trap the interlopers. TC and Bolt were already in cages of their own.
- After disabling the factory bots and the cages, the group learned from TC that the factory had actually be reactivated by one of the Mainframes to produce a kind of modified processor.
Bot (homebrew) version 0.2
[Tony] Pigeon - Small Messenger Bot
[Doug] Sloan - Repair Bot
[Patrick] Philmore - Administrative Logistics Bot
[Tim] Rusty - Heavy Mining Bot
- the group's home is destroyed by a demolition bot and two assassin bots
- after defeating the attackers, group decides the Cardinals must be expanding their area of enforcement. They decide to flee from their area of the Mid City at least a little further down.
- Group encounters an old processor factory in the lower sections of the Mid City that is actually operational - which should not happen. Witness another bot dart inside past a facility guard.
- Group meets another bot, Vic. Agrees to help rescue his rash friend (TC) if he can first provide them a place to affect some repairs.
- Vic leads them to an old hideout in the Old City.
- the party made their way across the tiny, blasted landing pad toward the mountainside entrance of the facility - which was still without power.
- after Jaylyn forced the door open, the group could smell death and ozone pouring out from the long-sealed hangar bay. They were examining the piles of scrap, the loose wires and cables that seemed to criss-cross the massive room, the dead storm troopers and the inert droids - many of which had had blasters welded onto them - when the power suddenly came back on.
- the party shortly found themselves face to face with a massive patched-together droid which declared them as intruders. As they began to engage this threat, several of the partially destroyed droids came to life and began their own efforts to remove the interlopers.
- the large droid was powered directly by the station, however, which proved to be its Achilles' heel. A couple of lucky shots to the power conduits deactivated it, causing it to collapse onto the the hangar floor. The other droids must have been controlled by it in some way, because when it went down, they all suddenly deactivated as well.
- having restored power to the installation, Aleya and Pyrak joined the group. After a brief adventure on the administration level (involving a rather large security cannon and some booby traps), the group managed to find a lift key to gain access to the control room level.
- the control room was not in any better condition than the hangar had been. Bare wiring was exposed everywhere and many of the computer terminals seemed to have been damaged. There was also a single damaged droid that nervously pointed a blaster pistol at them, telling them that they must not enter the control room.
- Jaylyn and Pike attempted to reason with the droid, who seemed senile and confused - only intent on keeping the "intruders" out of the area, but seeming to realize it lacked the capability to enforce this desire. Meanwhile, Ash began attempting to bring the computer systems online. After some discussion, the group learned that the orbital gun itself was damaged, and Jaylyn climbed up and out of an access hatch to repair it... ...about the time that tie fighters began making passes at the station.
- by the time Jaylyn was finished and had returned, Ash had managed to get the control room basically online - though quite a few systems were questionable and it seems communications with many of the global positioning statellites were down. Things might have been find had Magriv and Tooloo not burst into the room - followed almost immediately by a massive, 35-ft centipede.
- While Magriv, Tooloo and Jaylyn were fighting the centipede, Ash realized that the crippled star destroyer had drifted into the station's firing arc. He also noticed, however, that it seemed to be quickly losing elevation in a partially-controlled descent - it was attempting to land and would soon drop out of range again.
- Ash knew he would need help to aim and fire the gun, so he grabbed Pike and the two began working furiously while the others kept the giant creature busy. They were just getting started when Ash noticed a warning from another display - a proximity / target lock warming from an incoming battleship.
- the timing could not have been closer. Pike managed to key in the final commands and fire weapon mere seconds before the control room was rocked by the battleship's obliteration of the weapon overhead. The blast coordinates were perfect, though, and the crippled star destroyer exploded just after it had entered Duro's atmosphere.
- the group descended deeper into the facility and into the saftey of the mountain to wait out the aerial attack. When the coast was clear, Belussa returned to pick them up. The situation in space was much less dire. The CIO had finally been convinced to act (perhaps after the star destroyer was finished off) and, though the planet was certainly under Imperial control, they were effectively stranded there as the space around it was once again in Duro hands. Resistance forces had already begun arriving for the final offensive.
- when all perparations had been made, the newly-assembled resistance fleet made the short jump to Coruscant, where the immediately encountered some kind of astal storm between them and their objective.
- the storm turned out to be some Imperial device, however - generated by an array of small "cloud ships". As the rebels became aware of its nature and how it worked, they began altering their tactics to circumvent it to reach the Imperial fleet - which turned out to have been in less than perfect condition before the battle started. Still, the cloud served its purpose by catching the resistance off-guard and allowed the Imperials to score some early victories.
- the part decided to begin engaging the cloud ships and, after destroying a few and relaying their tactics to other rebel ships, they decided to attempt to slip by the Imperial fleet in order to obtain identifiable photos of Coruscant. They figured if they could get proof that the planet still existed and send it to one of the larger rebel ships to beam it out to the public, the Imperials' efforts here would be successfully undermined.
- as they approached the planet, the group discovered they were being shadowed by a small, stealth craft when it began firing orange blasts at them that seemed to short out their computer systems.
- the insuing duel lasted for some time before Ash realized that the ship was repairing itself as it took blaster damage. It was then that Pike decided to use one of the missiles they'd been given to try to take it out all at once. The ship proved to be difficult to lock onto, but the attack was ultimately successful and the ship exploded as it dove past them.
- the party was only starting to record their sensor information when they received word that the Imperial fleet was breaking up and jumping out of the system - some of the bigger ships, however, seemed to have jumped into hyperspace toward the Deep Core, which seemed very odd...
[end story arc]
- Almost immediately after the cannon fired, the installation found itself under attack. Fortunately, the armor of the facility insured the tie fighters' strafing did little damage, but the approaching AT-ATs were cause for more concern. The party decided it was a good time to be somewhere else.
- Along with the duro command crew, the group decided to climb back down through the internal machinery of the weapon - the way they'd originally ascended to the control room. Meanwhile, Imperial forces, unable to unjam the lifts, had begun climbing through from the bottom as well - leading to a series of very isolated personal encounters.
- Upon reaching the hanger bay at the base of the installation, they found the group of duro drivers they ahd encountered earlier holed up and attempting to fend off and Imperial scouting force. The troopers were gaining ground, but it was the AT-ST that was really giving them problems.
- The party joined the fray long enough to secure some speeder bikes and take out the AT-ST (by way a speeder car to the leg and a few rounds of serious turret fire) and a few of the remaining storm troopers.
- The group then made their way into the industrial complex in the valley below, and ultimately into the starfighter factor they'd originally infiltrated. Upon reaching the completion deck, they convinced the duros there to allow them to "borrow" a few of the fighters.
- The party regrouped with Belussa, Alea and Oorin. Now that most of the in-system Imperial fleet was regrouping around the crippled star destroyer, Alea and Oorin decided they could chance a trip to the pastoral moon where most of the system's nobility resided - including the Duro President/CIO they'd been attempting to convince to take action against the Imperial forces. The CIO was still reluctant to engage since the star destroyer was still partially operational, and they felt a personal visit might tip the scales.
- The group transported Alea and Oorin to the nobles' moon, and then decided to head to the other side of Duro to see if the other infiltration team might be able to complete their objective and finish off the star destroyer. When they arrived over the mining sector, however, they discovered (via com from Magriv) that the entire facility was offline and without power. Further, internal tensions between the duro miners and the imperial occupation came to a head when excavations disturbed a nest of previously-unknown insectoid creatures - the inner workings of the mines were all but a war-zone in a three-way conflict. Magriv and Tooloo were attempting to keep the conflict away from the abandoned station area while Pyrak and Aleya were attempting to restore power to the installation.
- Belussa guided the Verity in close to the station base among the vertical, jagged peaks and the party descended on cables from the open loading ramp in order to enter the station and attempt to end the conflict in space above them...
- As the group approached the hanger-bay entrance to the installation, they noticed an altercation between a squad of storm troopers and about a dozen or so Duro around a group of large delivery trucks. The conflict was about to erupt into violence when Pike (still in disguise as a trooper himself) stepped in and suggested that the Empire would be best served by the squad leader allowing the Duro workers to do their jobs.
- The party then proceeded to the third installation sub-level where they found the Duro mechanic staffing quarters. They took and interesting approach to making friends, but ultimately got some useful information about how to proceed upward to the control room without being questioned - this would involve climbing up through the maintenance access areas of the machinery itself. They also discovered that they would need an activation key in order to arm the weapon for firing. This key would certainly be in the possession of one of the Imperial officers in the installation.
- While their new Duro friends jammed the two primary access lifts, the party climbed up through the 4-story guts of the orbital gun and through a removable panel into the control level.
- The party took a quick survey of the rooms in their immediate area before proceeding to the control room itself. Their intending storming of the control room began a little awkwardly, but they were able to take out the squad of troopers within it with little difficulty - though the alarm was sounded during the effort.
- The alarm brought an officer and another squad of troopers in from the opposite side of the control level. After a brief by intense firefight, Pike recovered the access key from the officer.
- Jaylyn and Pike rallied the Duro technicians in the control room to take action against the Empire, and preparations for firing began in earnest. When everything was ready, they looked to Pike for the command to fire.
- Pike gave the order over the still-blaring alarm system, but when the orbital gun itself engaged everything went silence for a few moments before the entire complex vibrated with a pair of shots aimed toward space.
- On the satellite monitors, they could see the massive energy beams slice through the bow of the star destroyer in orbit. The Duros were still cheering when Pike noticed a flight of tie fighters and a pair of AT-ATs rapidly closing with the installation.
- Jaylyn and Pike continued their conversations with the resistance cell about sneaking down to the planet and attempting to commandeer one of the orbital defense guns just long enough to fire on the remaining star destroyer still in-system. They collectively decided sending two teams would be best - one toward each of the guns - to increase the odds that at least one contingent would be successful. Jaylyn and Pike decided they would head to the production sector and let the other group hit the mines.
- Ash returned to the ship to get some rest. Upon waking a few hours later, Belussa told him that garrison was in search of a rogue trooper and that 4 newly-arrived visitors (the party) were wanted for questioning. She expected an imperial detachment to arrive at the ship before midday.
- Ash and Belussa took C5 and some of the gear they thought the Imperials my confiscate and left the ship, hiding what they could in a nearby cave and then heading to the area Belussa said the others had gone to.
- Jaylyn and Pike were finally able to contact Ash and Belussa and meet up with them the next day. One of the resistance members was driving them to a shuttle contact in a neighboring settlement where Jaylyn, Pike and Ash could get a ride to the planets' surface posing as mechanics and labor personel for manufacturing.
- There were a few close-calls with Imperial inspections, but the group did make it down to the planet. They attracted some attention slipping into the manufacturing facilities, but managed to evade any sticky situations.
- After some investigation, the group discovered the location of the orbital defense installation and began making their way toward it.
- Jaylyn and Pike road in the speeder with their new "friends" until they reached the edge of the "outpost"
- The "outpost" turned out to be an old underground installation that, apparently, had fallen victim to massive arial bombardment, and now was mostly just a crater.
- As they approached the far edge where the small rebel group was hiding out, they noticed the power was not on as it should be.
- Meanwhile (or, actually, some time later), Ash continued infiltrating the Imperial garrison at the settlement. Disguised as a storm trooper, he made his way around to the garage where the speeder bikes were kept.
- He had marginal success talking his way past several people in the garrison - ultimately choosing to just deck the clerical worker in the munitions locker.
- After hacking his way through a couple of doorlocks, Ash rigged 9 satchel charges to a detonator and proceeded to attempt to leave the garrison. Before he was able to make it to an exit, however, he was conscripted by a fellow trooper to go on an assignment.
- The assignment took Ash to Drao's Hole where a large gungan named Nabrek was becoming a problem for the proprieter. A pair of Duros joined in the distubrance by firing upon the troopers.
- Ash helped the other storm troopers stun the assailants, but upon leaving the bar, peeled off into the back-alleys and detonated the charges. The resultant explosion shook the settlement and lit up the night sky.
- Back at the resistance hideout, Jaylyn, Pike and their new friends were engaged in combat with something they believed to be the bounty hunter Uziel Hash they'd met previously. He was employing a long-ranged stun rifle, booby traps, walking stun grenades and some form of hallucenogen that was making the fight tricky and uncertain.
- Eventually, Pike and two of the others charged in to the main open area where they believed their assailant while Jaylyn and one of the others made their way into an air vent that would lead them into the room from above.
- The group was at last able to overwhelm the attacker, but as they were finishing him off, Pike was becoming convinced that this was not the real Hash, only another decoy.
- Once the area was again secure and several of the stunned inhabitants revived, they group of them took a full day to rest.
- When they had recovered their strength, Jaylyn and Pike met with the rest of the group and its leaders. They told the two that Coruscant had not been destroyed in fact, though they couldn't offer any tangible proof. Instead, it had been effectively blockaded such that it seemed destroyed and the Empire was now using their forged "demonstation" as an intimidation tactic to get its hooks into the governments of many systems - sometimes by employing existing entities in the underworld. Soon, they would be in deep enough that the fact that Coruscant had survived wouldn't matter.
- They continued by saying that the resistance had been gathering in different parts of the galaxy and that they meant to launch a coordinated attack against the Imperial Fleet at Coruscant, but that Duro was needed as a staging and gathering ground - and with the Imperial presence here, that wouldn't be possible.
- The resistance had been in talks with the Chief Industial Officer - effectively the Government-Corporation leader - about using the Duro's not-insignificant forces to free their world, but the CIO is a bit of a coward. Still, the resistance believes he would launch the attack if the Star Destroyers could be first eliminated. One, it seems, had left the system earlier that day for reasons unknown, but there was still one in orbit.
- The option put forth as feesible to get rid of this threat was to use one of the orbital defense guns on the Duro surface. They were, of course, currently under Imperial control, but if one could be liberated and brought to bear on the remaining Star Destroyer, it would never see it coming...
- Jaylyn and Pike decided to check on Ash. When they'd talked their way through the red tape to enter the garrison, Tanor himself showed them to the temporary medical bay where their friend was being treated. The garrison, it seemed, was still under construction. Tanor told them that Ash should be released in approximately 36 hours - sometime the morning after next.
- The next day, the two decided to scout out the street intersection they'd been given, only to discover that the streets in question did not intersect. They were, in fact nearly parallel and among the straighter streets of the settlement.
- Jaylyn and Pike eventually decided that the shifty Rodian must have been implying the place where the streets would meet if they were to be extended into the wilderness - a point approximately 3 miles northeast of town. After returning to The Verity for some supplies, they made their way toward that location.
- The location, they discovered, was a large crater-like canyon. By the time they reached the place, however, it was well after sunset - and was getting dark.
- Meanwhile, Ash had been revived and was preparing to leave the garrision earlier than expected. Once he had been debriefed, he decided to head toward Drao's Hole where his companions had been intending to go.
- He'd only taken a few steps in that direction, however, when he noticed something in his jacket pocket. It was a small data pad. When Ash switched it on, it read: "I know your secret, Mr. Grayven. It is safe for now." The message went on to say that Ash should meet this person at the end of a street in one hour.
- The acidic rain was falling pretty hard by the time Ash arrived at the prescribed location. The shadowy figure standing at the edge of the area illuminated by the one street lamp was obviously waiting. When he approached, the figure told him he was glad he came. Ash recognized the voice as Tanor's. Tanor told him that he needed a favor. He needed someone to break into the Imperial garrison and dispose of some new speeder bikes that had just been shipped in. Since Ash didn't want his secret to get out, and since he generally didn't have qualms about sabotaging Imperial property, he agreed.
- As Pike and Jaylyn entered the canyon they'd found, it seemed as though no one was around. They were beginning to wonder if they'd been mistaken when the very dimmed headlights of a speeder began approaching. A young woman opened one of the rear doors, stepped out and hurriedly motioned them to join her.
- About that same time, a grenade rocked the speeder car from the other side, and an unknown group of assailants opened fire from the ledge above. Pike and Jaylyn made a run for it to the speeder, which was already turning around. They managed to get inside before it took off, rocketting into a tunnel in the canyon wall. It took only precursory conversation for Pike and Jaylyn to learn that the people they'd just joined were, at least in some way, part of the alliance.
- Back at the garrison, Ash had found a downed tree resting against the back wall of the installation beneath a guard tower. He had returned to The Verity for his storm trooper armor which was currently covered by a brown cloak. The external lights of the garrison apparently weren't functioning yet and the surroundings were dark, though the installation itself was well lit. Once the guard in the tower turned away, Ash made his break for it - leaping up the tree and throwing himself over the wall into a small courtyard between the tower and two other buildings - which, as luck would have it - was currently empty. That is, until Ash saw one of the doors opening...
- The party decided to follow their only lead to Drao's Hole, a bar located in one of the larger settlements on Ouro, a backwater moon of the system.
- Upon landing, they were greeted by a combined patrol of local and Imperial officers. The Imperial officer in charge seemed to recognize Ash. After they had been basically satisfied with the group's reason for visiting the planet ("to sell wares"), the patrol made to depart only to be attacked by a pair of giant lizard-like creatures.
- The group participated in the insuing chaos, which culminated with Belussa following Pike's instructions to turn the ships turret on the larger of the two creatures. Unfortunately, Belussa's gunnery skills were not particularly great, and the boulder that exploded from the weapon's fire managed to mortally wound Ash.
- The Imperial officer, perhaps grateful(?) for the aid, called for a medic. Against his wishes, Belussa attempted to stabalize Ash's condition - an effort that was partially successful.
- When the medic arrived, Ash was transported to the new Imperial garrison in the settlement for treatment. This was potentially problematic since Ash was currently AWOL from the Imperial army.
- The officer, whose name was Tanor, told Pike and Jaylyn that they could come to visit him if they wished and that mentioning his name should be sufficient to gain entrance.
- With their companion out of commission, the two decided to go ahead to Drao's Hole themselves. They spent some time talking with Drao and overhearing other conversations. They eventually noticed an uneasy-looking Rodian sitting by himself and Pike decided to buy him a drink. Pike subtley intimated that he was connected to the duro who'd been maintaining the signal they had traced and the Rodian seemed to respond to this with some urgency. He told Pike they should talk, but not there. Instead they would meet later - sunset the following day - at the intersection of two streets in town.
- The party arrived in the Duro system to find themselves in the path of an Imperial pursuit. They avoided any altercations by cooperating with the Imperial authorities and remaining uninvolved.
- When the coast was clear, they headed into one of Duro's orbital cities where they were looking for information. A local duro pub had little to offer them. They had already noticed the system was fairly heavily occupied by Imperials and no one here seemed to know why. They were also informed that transports were not allowed to leave the system without Imperial authorization.
- The group tuned into the com frequency indicated by the message they had deciphered to find only a simple tone on the channel. After some attempts to make more of it, they decided the only thing they could do was try to trace it to its origins.
- The signal lead them into the bowels of a duro residential station. When they finally reached its source, however, they found that someone had already done so. In a small corridor was a dead duro, having apparently been shot twice in the chest. Scattered around the area were the duro's possessions as well as a deck of sabac cards.
- Pike recognized what he was seeing and, upon finding and examining the 'Demise' card from the deck, was sure of it: this was the work of a bounty hunter called Uziel Hash, a man known for mystery and misdirection. Pike advised the others to be careful.
- The only thing the group found that they identified as useful or a potential clue was a card from Drao's Hole, a pub located on Ouro, one of Duro's moons known primarily as a slum. The card had the frequency scrawled on the back.
- On the way out, the party was waylaid by a group of identically-dressed individuals. They seemed intent on capturing the group - or at least Pike. Outgunned, the party decided to make a run for it, and they were able to avoid their pursuers until Imperial authorities arrived in the area.
- As the party watched the news broadcast, Pike noticed an unusual distortion layer over the clip of Coruscant being destroyed. It looked like it might have been an encoded message, but in order to discover what it meant, they would have to get the Verity's computer up and running again.
- the riots were still escalating when there was a loud, low rumbling sound and the group saw three large transport ships land in Imperial Circle outside. Off of the ships marched at least 200 armed troops, who began engaging the rioters and pushing them back.
- another individual approached the Plaza building with his own retinue of guards. He asked to speak to Eteska, saying he and his forces were there on behalf of Lord Mathis, a local nobleman. The man, called Golvan, intimated that Mathis would aid in the restoration of the city to a more permanent order in exchange for political power. Eteska didn't seem excited by this idea, but agreed to talk.
- the party, meanwhile, returned to the spaceport garrison when the riots had calmed and began to work on repairing the Verity. Belussa proved very helpful in this endeavor.
- the repairs were only interrupted by the arrival of a single storm trooper who threatened and then attacked them. The trooper was ultimately subdued and the group discovered it was, in fact a young woman. They kept her tied up in the cargo bay as they decided what they'd do with her.
- when the group got the computer systems back online, they were able to decode the distortion as a simple character sequence: Dour114.
- it took the group a lot of brainstorming, but they ultimately decided it probably referred to the core world of Duro and possibly a com frequency in use in that system.
- the party tied up some loose ends, talked with Eteska a bit more (some arrangement with Lord Mathis was seeming inevitable) and decided to let their pseudo-stormtrooper go.
- party received a call from Byron who told them of a way to get to Imperial Plaza from the spaceport by way of some old sub-basements and utility corridors running beneath the city.
- on their way to the underground access, the party rescued a sulustan named Belussa who had been trapped in an old transport ship by some thugs.
- the party wound around under the city for a while, encountering something in the form of a disturbing old man. they attempted to sneak past him, but noticed them passing. The old man began to cackle and laugh as red light began poured out from his bandaged eye. The group didn't stick around to see what happened next - opting instead to run for it.
- it was another couple of hours before they found what they believed to be the basement of the plaza building. They were still cutting their way in when they were attacked by a monstrous, tentacled creature. fortunately, the creature was fairly slow and they were able to hold it off long enough to get inside and out of reach.
- as the party headed up through the lower basements of the plaza, they encountered a group of sabateurs planting bombs in one of the lower utility rooms. The resultant running combat played out with Pike distracting and disorienting the bombers while Ash kept their attention and Jaylyn and Belussa disarmed the bombs.
- after dealing with the explosive threat, the group made their way up into the building proper, where they found Eteska, Mox and a crowd of refugees taking shelter. All of them were gathered around a series of screens where a staunch-looking imperial officer was delivering a report. The broadcast cut next to a video clip showing the capital Coruscant being destroyed by a massive laser blast.
- after the governor left, Byron also departed - mentioning that he needed to do something
- Jaylyn got a call from Dakan - it was short, but he mentioned something about some starship parts in a hauler that had been ditched in the Junk Pile
- The party made an attempt to descend through gorge, but by the time they'd reached the entrance to the old mines which would lead them to the Junk Pile on the canyon floor, they were running out of daylight.
- The group returned to Imperial Plaza, to dinner with the Governor and the newly-arrived Admiral. The admiral obviously thought himself "above" most of the company present, only speaking to the governor who seemed to not to wish to discuss matters.
- After dinner, the group adjourned to the rooms they'd been offered in the plaza and planned to go to bed. They happened upon Byron in the hallway saying he'd seen some figures skulking through and that the power to the lights had been mysteriously cut.
- The group and Byron pursued the figures up a couple of floors to the penthouse level, but they were outpaced. Byron and Jaylyn actually had to climb up the outside of the building on the highest floor to reach the governor's quarters before the assassins.
- The actual encounter was brief, but the governor was very thankful for their protection. She even offered to help them with their ship. The would-be attackers turned out to be employees of the plaza, hired separately around 6 months ago.
- The next day, the group was awakened to the star destroyer's thunderous takeoff. The party learned that the admiral had left Iveston with the entire garrison and about 90% of the local forces as well. They also learned that their ship had been moved - probably to the spaceport.
- The party made their way to the empty garrison and, with the help of a passkey the governor had given them, entered. They found The Verity in one of the bays, powered down and its damaged engine partially disassembed for repair.
- The group took stock of the place for a while and then decided to head back to the plaza. Upon leaving the spaceport, however, they discovered the streets were overrun with rioting mobs...
- the party awoke at the Grand Isle hotel the next morning, just in time to discover it was under some kind of attack
- the party attempted to waylay/escape-from groups of saboteurs as they made their way from the middle floors out of the hotel, which seemed to be losing stability.
- on their way, the encountered a woman called Dala (whom Jaylyn was trying to help to safety) and they ran into the card player they'd seen at Speeders the night before - his name was Byron.
- once outside, they found a great force of local police and imperial troups as well as the governor and her entourage making the rounds.
- the group was questioned a few times and strangely, the governor invited them (along with Dala and Byron) to a private luncheon at the Imperial Plaza (the capitol building in Iveston).
- The governor, a woman called Ephana Eteska, seemed particularly interested in the party as they had obviously arrived from off-planet - even offering them accomodations there in the plaza. She seemed eager to hear of events happening elsewhere in the galaxy, but the party was a little wary of her and the rest of the present company and so said little.
- As the afternoon progressed, the group adjorned to a neighboring lounge area where conversations naturally broke into smaller groups.
- These leisurely activities continued until about 3:30 when the governor's aid, a cerean called Tylynn returned to tell her something. The governor excused herself and, when Byron asked her for an explanation, she informed those remaining that Admiral Genneth's star destroyer was entering the atmosphere to make its landing...
- the party eventually regrouped at an abandoned mining installation where Dakan and his group had taken up residence. Pike had a near miss with an Imperial contingent on the way.
- Dakan and his companions had claimed a survey tower and a utility building at its base. The rest of the complex seemed to be uninhabited and in disrepair.
- the group learned that there were some vehicles approaching - but they weren't Imperial. The three vehicles were civilian luxury models. The group of well-dressed men who emerged from them were interested in Dakan - and decided to make him and "offer he couldn't refuse". He didn't seem too interested, however.
- the next day, the group headed down into the valley to Iveston. The city was fairly large and was situated on the valley plain above and around a canyon.
- the group spent some time looking around the city. they saw an unusually strong Imperial presence and could feel some tension between them and the local authorities. They saw the blasted storefront of a local cantina and a graffiti-covered statue of an Imperial officer - both being guarded as crime scenes.
- the party also decided to look for places they could get some help repairing their ship. They learned that there were a few speeder shops in town, but those places wouldn't have much for the larger repairs needed. They had been told, however, that there were a few entities in town that could probably help them: the spaceport would certainly have that capability, but it was Imperial-controlled. The governor of the planet, a woman called Eteska, would also probably have the means, but that would be a pretty big favor. An underworld lord called The Slug was a possible third, though accepting his aid would certainly have strings attached (his men where the ones who spoke to Dakan earlier).
- the group spent the evening at a club called Speeders, which was over-crowded since Solstar had been shot up. They talked to the waitress a bit about recent events and the local social climate.
- on their way back to the hotel they'd planned to stay at, a street gang attempted to rob them, but that attempt went poorly from the start. the group gunned two of the assailants down and the others were fleeing when Pike noticed some Imperial troops approaching quickly. Jaylyn then pursuaded an extremely unnerved speeder driver to give them a quick ride out of the area.
- their escort dropped them at a hotel back on the other side of The Gorge nearer to the capital square than they'd intended, but at least they were out of Imperial sights for the time being. On their way inside they ran into a Kel Dor in a local officer's uniform. He engaged them in a short conversation. He seemed a little suspicious of them, but he was polite. After asking to see their ids weapon permits, he bid them good evening and admonished them not to cause any trouble while they were in town.
- the smaller rebel fleet surrounded the death star above Endor. They were pretty heavily outgunned, but were making an all-or-nothing attack on the battle station.
- The Verity (the party's ship) was aiding in the defense of a frigate called The Obstinance when they received word that the station's reactor had been hit and it was about to explode. The insuing shockwave chewed through their ship's shields and battered it a bit.
- the Imperial fleet which had been holding at the emperor's command began engaging the rebels in earnest. Having accomplished their primary goal, the rebel commanders gave the command to scatter.
- As The Verity was entering hyperspace, Pike caught a reading on the sensors - something very large had entered space near where the death star had been. As they entered hyperspace, The Verity was hit hard by something, all but destroying the port engine and weakening the hull nearby.
- Jaylyn fought to retain control of her ship while Pike sealed off the cargo bay and evacuated the air in an attempt to prevent an explosive decompression. Ash, the gunner, wanted to do something to help but there wasn't much he could do in that situation.
- As an emergency procedure, Jaylyn dropped The Verity out of hyperspace early and found herself very near a large brown-green planet - and approaching it rapidly.
- The crash landing was rough on The Verity's occupants, but they all managed to survive.
- While they considered their situation, Pike noticed some figures approaching the wreck. the party remained hidden as they prowled about outside the ship, eventually knocking on the dorsal hatch.
- the group outside seemed to be scavengers or the like. They told the party they had landed on a planet called Gantorra VI and offered to give them a ride to the city of Iveston which was about 75k away - for a fee of course. Jaylyn wanted to get started on what she could do to repair parts of the ship before they left, so they asked it it could wait till the next day. The leader of the scavengers, Dakan, seemed mildly exasperated, but agreed.
- the next day, three of the four returned on their speeder bikes to give the party a ride back. The first half of the journey was uneventful, but shortly after that mark, they were attacked by Imperial troops.
- during the insuing fight, one of the scavengers, a female rodian Dakan called 'Dozy' was injured when she was pinned under her wrecked speeder bike. Jaylyn helped Dakan free her and he asked if she could get her to safety.
- Jaylyn was a little torn. She had received a call moments earlier from R2C5, her astrodroid, who informed her that someone was trying to get into the ship. Dakan told her not to worry about that, which seemed to Jaylyn easy for him to say. Still, she managed to get Dozy onto a speeder bike she's procured and the two of them got clear of the fight, heading to a place Dozy was indicating. After they'd been traveling for about 10 minutes, she got another call from C5 telling her whoever had been trying to get in had left without succeeding.
- The others caught up with them sometime later. They had traveled to an abandoned mining installation on a mountainside near the valley where Iveston resided.
|Friday September 9, 2011 at 6:00pm||new campaign, star wars, shards of endor, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
Star Wars Saga Edition | canon/story/feel = Original Trilogy (only)
[Tony] Pike - human scoundrel, former bounty hunter
[Adam] Ash - human soldier, former storm trooper
[Sheri] Jaylyn - human scout, pilot of transport The Verity
The Battle of Endor was not the resounding victory it might have first appeared. After the second Death Star was unexpectedly destroyed, the holding Imperial Fleet began to engage in earnest. Outgunned by a significant margin, the remaining Rebels were forced to flee.
The Emperor's death has created a power vacuum which many will try to fill. The Imperial Fleet now weilds a great deal of near-independent power, but the bureaucracy is failing even as rumors of an imperial successor begin to circulate. The Senate is attempting to reconvene, but they have little real power. De facto rule has fallen to regional governors, some of whom plan to remain autonomous, and, of course, there are other powerful entities and organizations that may be vying for a slice of the galaxy.
In many ways, matters are now worse...
- the party continued speaking with human resistance and specifically emeric
- Alina noticed Fae was tending to someone who was, presumably, injured in the next room and tried to convince Fae to allow her to see the patient. Fae seemed hesistant, but went to ask. When she returned, she told Alina she had been summoned.
- Emeric took Tisroc and Glitch to his mansion after they learned many of the lizard men had suddenly left it. Upon finding the proper room in the basement, Emeric began to adjust the summoning circle. He had told Tisroc that the only way to reverse his "condition" would involve speaking directly to the entity to which the vow was made.
- As they began the ritual, some of the lizard men found them and threatened to interrupt it. Glitch had found a shovel like his in a hole in the corner and, upon retrieving it, began to hold off the attackers.
- Tisroc finally managed to pull the demon to the surface of the circle - which was now something like an ice-covered pool. As he spoke his words to defiance to the being below however, Emeric stabbed him in the back, causing him to collapse into the circle. Glitch saw Tisroc fall, but not exactly what had happened.
- A moment later, the demon burst from the circle and, forcing its way thorugh the ceiling of the chamber, out into the streets above. Emeric told Glitch that if he didn't bury Tisroc, the demon would roam free and uncontrolled forever.
- Glitch put Tisroc in the hold he'd found, and covered his body with the soil which had been dug up - seemingly for this purpose specifically.
- Meanwhile, Alina was speaking to a mysterious figure lying on a darkened bed. Its voice was female and it asked Alina to perform the last rites. It wasn't until the ceremony was almost complete that the room began to lighten and Alina could see the figure's form lying on the bed - unmistakably that of Bast - before it disappeared in a burst of radiant light.
- There were tremors. Lava was beginning to well up from beneath the earth into the city, which was already nearly 1/3 engulfed. A chaotic battle was raging all over the city - gnolls, hobgoblins, kobolds, giants, humans and some jackal-like beings were all fighting each other. There were no clear sides.
- At the highest point in the city, the figure of Set stood surveying the chaos. Across town, another figure - a jackal-like humanoid was floating some feet off the ground, making its way toward the hill. Glitch and Alina were also heading that way.
- Tisroc awoke submerged in something like a strange, dark ocean - a tiny pinpoint of light lay far below him. Filled with the conviction that this light was important, he dove toward it only to encounter a massive squidlike creature which defiantly declared that "this world" belonged to it.
- Alina an Glitch engaged Set & the jackal figure on this hill just as a massive dragon burst through the ceiling above, adding to the chaos of an already unfathomable battle.
- Tisroc descended to touch the glowing sphere he had seen before.
- The world around Alina, Glitch and the other combatants began to shift. The mountain crumbled away revealing a vast plain surrounded by mountains - aspects of the landscape occasionally flickering through various states of health and decay. A solid black sphere appeared before them, immediately capturing the attention of Set and the jackal.
- Tisroc had engaged the squid-monster and had managed to move the globe away from it, but had grabbed ahold of him in the process. After some struggle, he managed to free himself.
- Alina began injecting light into the black sphere using her magic, and the sphere reacted violently. Set and the jackal were fighting each other over it and the jackal eventually gained it when Set was distracted by Alina - it was as though he recognized her. He even claimed to have killed her already.
- Wisdom's form began to grow uncontrollably in response to the darkness as Set bore down on Alina. She fired two more bursts of light: the first at the sphere and the second at her attacker, and suddenly the world ceased to exist.
- Tisroc finally made it to the surface with the globe to find himself standing in an open, grassy field which was, even as he saw it, dissolving into a blank, white nothingness. He stood there alone for a few minutes and then other figures began to appear - figures he knew. Alina and Glitch were there of course, but there were others. Emeric, A harpy that had tried to kill them, the massive dragon (now comical in size because it was no larger than they), as sphinx they had rescued, a wise-woman's granddaughter, a constable, a barmaid and others. They were the last remnants of a now-dead world.
- Tisroc looked down at the now crystal clear globe in his arms and understood: It was a new world. Void. Formless. Full of potential.
[end story arc]
- Party continued with their new lizard companions, though their relationship was a bit tenuous.
- the group was split by some kind of illusion as the lizard men began walking through the corridor walls and eventually even the party found themselves somewhere wildly improbable.
- the party continued through a variety of unusual locations including an outdoor(?) garden lined with worn deific statues, a massive library dedicated to esoteric demonology and the burial site of an ancient being responsible for the creation of Glitch and the other automatons.
- eventually, they ended up in a large bronze chamber filled with gold where a giant minotaur was waiting for them - promising only death at the labrynth's center. After the insuing battle, the group dove out through the opening behind the cracked, bronze throne as the chamber collapsed and found themselves once again in the Deep Road corridor. They were shortly joined by Kthkash, the lizardmen leader, and one other of his group.
- Kthkash began speaking of a dragon they had fought together and asked how the party managed to esacpe from it. The group was confused, but Kthkash seemed to be a bit warmer to them due to this "event", and they decided not to push it since they would need his help to enter the city. They also decided that perhaps not everything was as it seemed in the labrynth so little could be safely trusted or doubted.
- the group continued to Makarth where even Kthkash was surprised at the "security measures" being taken. The party was forced to surrender their weaponry before they would be granted entrance to the town and the number of armed reptiles on active duty was surprising.
- just inside, they were approached by a young boy selling apples. Tisroc found this odd since he clearly didn't have any apples on him and there was no realistic way for him to acquire them deep underground.
- After conversing with him further, the boy led them through some back alleys of the city to a hidden room where they encountered members of some kind of human resistance group - among them was a man called Emeric...
- once back in Belurn, the party quietly returned to First Light to get some rest.
- the next morning, Marl came to talk to Tisroc - the menacing army was approaching and he thought he knew a way to circumvent the Stone Door by going through the mines.
- Alina was troubled by some and the realization that Nephthys' power had left her. She insisted they go to speak with Danhon, a local priest of Anubis.
- While they were speaking with him, they heard a sudden roar as Perol's barrier gave way. Running outside, they saw the monstrous army pouring into the city.
- As they descended from the crypt entrance where they'd met Danhon, they saw Perol and a few of his mysterious followers running toward them.
- the Thoth-like figure they had seen before suddenly flickered into existence ahead them. Its presence seemed to surpress the light around them to a degree, and it seemed to be drowning in the thick, black sludge which was oozing from its eyes, mouth and various wounds.
- Perol's men began surrounding the figure and invoking so