- Iris & Ivy took their captive back to town and turned him over to the local militia. Later they took the captain and a few others to the camp they'd found and recovered the rest of the stolen valuables, though they hadn't been able to find the other suspect - a man called Dav. The captain asked them to stay in town for a few days as they would need to speak to the magistrate regarding the incident.
- The pair then went over to the docks to find a man called Haelmare, whom they'd been told may have been around when Elam Nethley came through around 50 years ago. He agreed to meet with them that evening at the tavern and told them about his encounter with the man. His description of Nethley wasn't at all what they'd expected.
- Iris decided they should try to catch the other thief, but Ivy was fairly worn down from their previous encounters. They decided to stop by the local temple before returning to the camp to see if Dav returned...
- The winged blue creature who had taken Iris' sword snapped its fingers summoning a few tiny air elementals and leapt out the window. While Ivy chased after it, Iris ran out of the room and outside. Unsure of the best course of action, she decide to find one of the town guards who took her to speak with their leader. The guards listened to her account, but were unconvinced that the creature was the theif they had been looking for.
- Ivy, meanwhile, had followed the creature just close enough to catch site of it diving into a wooded area on the riverside about half a mile north of town.
- The two met back up at the inn and finished resting. Early in the morning they made their way to the place Ivy had seen where they found a small camp with a sleeping man, a pair of bedrolls, and Iris' sword leaning against some heavy-looking packs.
- As they made their way to the packs and grabbed Iris' sword, the man awoke and the blue creature came flying into the camp shrieking frantically. The man attempted to frighten them off while the creature swooped in swinging at Iris with its claws.
- The pair fought off the man, eventually severely injuring him while the blue creature became more distressed. Its howling seemed to summon winds from off the river which coalesced into a massive air elemental.
- Iris grabbed one of the packs while Ivy picked up the injured man and then they quickly exited the area, taking their captive back to town...
- Ivy & Iris helped the travelers right their cart and collect their horses and then continued to the river town of Helok's Ford. When they arrived, they were questioned by a couple of guardsmen about who they were, what their plans were, and how long they'd been in the area. Apparently there had been a recent rash of break-ins and thefts and the leadership suspected a transient or new-comer.
- Looking for an old fisherman called Haelmare who might have been around when Elam Nethley entered the area, the two went to a tavern he was said to frequent: a dockside dive called the Backwater. They didn't find him, but they did speak with a half-elven server who told them another man had asked about Elam Nethley nearly a year ago.
- The two decided they would try to find Haelmare at the docks in the morning, and went to get some rest at the Stonebridge Inn. As they rested, Ivy became aware of something moving in the room - when she roused herself, she saw a strange, whispy blue figure perched at the window as if about to leap out - holding the scimitar their grandmother had given Iris...
- Headed back to the village of Bolgrove. Camped on the way. During the night, a man calling himself Eli appeared to Iris, asked her questions about their quest, and gave her a purple crystal.
- Upon returning to Bolgrove, stopped at the tavern and the home of the druid Saffa. Were not able to find any info on the "heart of shadow" or the other man who seemed to be looking for Elam Nethley, but the druid told them that the "dwellers of the deepest darkness" might allude to the dwarves of the Galloth Mountains. There is a gate to an underground passage to the dwarven city of Unver Gual from the mining town of Laduun.
- The following day, they set out for the kingdom toward Helok's Ford to cross the river and then continue south to Laduun, as this was their best lead. On the road, they met with a caravan being attacked by giant insects - and they ran in to assist.
- The sisters continued on toward the Sunken Shrine. The found a broad, submerged avenue lined with broken columns leading up to an overgrown and crumbling stone structure. They noticed a couple of humanoid skeletons partially-submerged as well. While Ivy was examining one of them and Iris was looking over the statue, the two were attacked by and aggressive pack of rats and one giant dire rat.
- After fighting off the rats with Aelrah's (Iris's wolf companion) help, the two entered the building. While attempting to dismantle the barrier between the antechamber and the main hall, they heard a creaking overhead and scraping sounds outside. Outside, they found the skeletons had animated and were coming to attack them.
- Ivy's quarterstaff made short work of the skeletons and they returned to the structure. After gaining access to the main chamber, they discovered a naga - an enormous snake with a reptilian woman's head. She told them that Nethley wasn't there, but that another had come looking for him. He had mentioned something about a "heart of shadow" and the naga had told him to seek out those that "dwell in the deepest darkness". After some conversation that nearly turned violent, the naga succeeded in convincing the two to leave its lair.
- Level up to 2
Hannah has played No Thank You Evil and enjoyed it, but we may have reached a point where it's simplicity and whimsy aren't quite as enticing as they used to be. Not that she doesn't like kid things, but she's 9 now and has been into Harry Potter, Avatar, and some fantasy books that aren't quite as "for small children".
Trying to think of some more creative things to do during this pandemic thing, when we asked if she would be interested in playing D&D, she was adorably excited. Because I'm me, I spent way too long conceiving of a setting (and WAY too long drawing a map for it). We ordered her some dice of her own, and this last weekend spent an evening and an afternoon rolling up characters and starting an adventure.
System: D&D 3.5
Setting: The Kingdom of Elionde
Players: Sheri, Hannah
- Iris [Hannah] :: Elven Druid
- Ivy [Sheri] :: Elven Monk
Twin sisters Iris and Ivy had happened upon the mostly-forgotten mystery of a famous druid from their country called Elam Nethley. Nethley possessed a potent magical talisman said to have been blessed and empowered by the angel Saphrielle. Around 50 years ago, he had traveled north in search of a lost temple and never returned. Magical attempts to contact him or discern his fate failed, but a divination suggested that if any were searching for him, they should travel to the Kingdom of Elionde.
Iris and Ivy had been travelling along the west road through the White Ridge Forest for more than a week when they arrived at the tiny logging village of Bolgrove. Stopping at the tavern for food and lodging, they learned from a local hunter about the existence of a ruin the locals called the "sunken shrine" in the swamp to the southeast.
The next morning they headed toward the shrine, having decided to investigate it for clues. Just as the knight statue they'd been told about came into view, they were attacked by a large and unusually-aggressive constrictor snake.