- After chasing off the bandits, the twins continued on their journey eventually reaching the city of Granton. As they made their way to the watch HQ - a place called 'the Spearhall', they found themselves on the street where monstrous tentacles were reaching up from sewer grates and attempting to grab people and pull them down. They assisted an guardsman in fighting off the tentacles before continuing on.
- At the Spearhall they informed Captain Pommel of the kobold situation in the forest near Nettlewood, but he seemed unconcerned with problems outside the city.
- Having performed the task they were assigned, they two decided to seek out the Adventurer's Guild Tenlo had told them about. They eventually found it - a small place on a backstreet on the south side of town.
- The two paid Varant's fee and spoke with a man called Matheus who seemed to be the guild leader. He cautioned them that they would face real dangers if they chose to join. When they said they were ready, he gave Varant an initial "assignment" and suggested he speak with one of the other guild members who may be able to teach him the magic he wanted to learn.
- For a couple of weeks, Varant studied with a wizard called Tyra - also a member of the guild. In that time, she managed to teach him a few cantrips, noting that he possessed "the gift", at which point the two decided it was time to pursue the initial "mission": to an abandoned watchtower on an old road 4 days north through the forest to recover a gem.
- As they approached the overgrown towner deep in the forest, they heard insectoid chittering sounds...
- The following day, Tenlo's parents asked him to go and see Mr. Applewood, the local healer/apothecary to make sure his wound would heal properly. Knowing Ithicca was something of an apprentice to Mr. Applewood, he came to ask her to show him the way to Applewood's cottage in the woods - and Varant decided to come along.
- Ithicca took him along the path to the recluse's house, where they found him in the back garden apparently frustrated with the state of some of his plants. He took the three of them inside and treated Tenlo's wound and then asked them if they would accompany him further into the forest to speak with someone called Selena. Tenlo decided he'd better return home, but Ithicca and Varant said they would go.
- When the three of them reached a remote hilltop deep in the woods, they found a small band of kobolds holding a dryad hostage. After fighting them off and freeing the forest guardian, Mr. Applewood introduced them to Selena. He told her that he had been wanting Ithicca to meet her for some time, as the girl showed "great promise". Selena embraced Ithicca and bestowed a small measure of power upon her.
- When the three of them returned to town, the told more people about the kobold threat. Most of the villagers seemed to think the encounters had happened too far away to be of any concerned, but agreed that someone could go alert the watch in the nearby city of Granton to see if they might send a military hunting party to deal with the problem. The twins agreed to go.
- As Ithicca and Varant were preparing to set off early the next morning, their aunt gave them a satchel with some potions and special food in it, and their friend Tenlo arrived to give them their portion of the coins they'd found in the ruin. He also told Varant that he should join the adventurer's guild in Granton.
- Along the road to Granton, they were accosted by a starving wolf. They briefly traded blows with it before Ithicca offered it some dried meat they'd brought along with them, which it took and then ran of into the woods.
- A short time later, they were met by a pair of bandits trying to get them to pay a "toll" for the road. The encounter turned violent, and the twins found themselves fighting some older, tougher opponents. With some fortune they'd managed to incapacitate one, but they were extremely worn down and still facing the other when the wolf they'd met earlier leapt from the forest onto their assailant...
The kids have been wanting to play D&D again, and it was suggested that I start a game for the two of them that didn't require Sheri to be present. I made them some classless characters that have mostly-average stats and no real skills or abilities. They're teenagers only recently of-age, and the idea is that they will find NPCs to teach them the skills of the class abilities they want.
- Ithicca [Hannah] :: Human (prospective druid)
- Varant [Micah] :: Human (prospective wizard)
- As the twins were finishing some work in the Nettlewood orchard one summer evening, Varant's friend Tenlo came to him, exitedly reporting that he'd manage to break into an old, sealed "mine" and found it wasn't a mine. He convinced Varant to come with him to explore it, and Ithicca went along.
- At the site, they encountered an illusion of a giant figure bellowing at them and some giant rats. They also found a hidden room that contained some old, rusty weapons and a chest filled with coins that had been hidden in some rubble. It was then that they were attacked by kobolds and their friend Tenlo was injured.
- They returned to the village and told Tenlo's parents about the kobolds.