I recently concluded my New Auburn World of Darkness game that started a bit over a year ago. Despite the fact that it lasted more than twice as long as I'd anticipated and I was really ready to move on to a new game (Numenera here I come!), I thoroughly enjoyed it the entire time. I'm going to talk a little about some things I got out of this game.
First off, it's always nice to have a game that actually resolves instead of just "ending". I've done this a few times, but this game might be the one that was most neatly packaged. I don't think I did a "perfect" job (I'm not sure that's possible), but this one was pretty close, if I do say so. I also set up a future sequel in the epilogue, which will be pretty cool - but not for a while (see also: so many games, so little time).
I learned over the course of the game that mystery is difficult to run - at least for my group. You don't want to be too obvious, but you don't want to be too obscure. When the game is about the investigation and putting pieces together, there is a very, VERY, fine line here - and you're going to go back and forth between being heavy-handed and letting the group spin their wheels as they try to figure out what to do next.
By that same token, though, it was fascinating to listen to them speculate when they were into it. So very often they would be right and wrong in an even 50/50 split. I lost track of the number of times I said "Well, that's not wrong...it's just not...quite right either." while talking about their theories after a session. Those were some of my favorite times.
I got pretty good at juggling multiple groups of PCs in different places doing different things. Also, I failed miserably at this from time to time. I think the group was all together less than 10% of the time over the course of this game. The particular flavor and setup just made that unlikely or downright impracticle from a narrative standpoint. It wasn't a "problem", per se, but it did make GMing challenging, and it often meant some percentage of the table was off-screen. Fortunately, this doesn't bother many in my group.
Like many of my games, this one was a total sandbox. Unlike many, however, it was all set in the same place. This might be the first game that really wasn't location driven to any significant degree - so that was a challenging for me. The shifting environment and the various NPCs and mysteries kept things plenty interesting, though, so that helped.
Along that same line, I set out to be very receptive to the players'/PCs' ideas. For most of the game, I just had "the situation", I didn't really have "a solution" to the problem(s) - I figured I'd let them come up with that. This approach worked quite well, and might be the only way I could run a game like this. The group's ultimate "solution" to the big problem in town was one they came up with - not one I'd pre-planned. It had to make sense, of course, but if they'd come up with a different "solution" they could pull off, that would have been just as viable. I really let them drive how this was going to go down, which I try to do in every game, but, in this one, it was taken to a further degree.
I also think I did a pretty good job presenting a game and setting that was both creepy and intriguing - the way World of Darkness should be.
There's probably other things, but those are the big ones coming to mind.
|Monday October 10, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
There's a time to pray / and there's a time to fight / anything can be a weapon / if you're holding it right
- Emory, Carter, and Sara began heading north - back to the marina to get their cars and hurry to the train station Aaron had described. On their way, they encountered a deformed Leon Catch, obviously corrupted by some dark influence. Not wasting words, he immediately attacked them, proclaiming they must die. He had a fairly strong upper hand until Sara was able to find some manifestation of his corruptor lurking in the Twilight. That connection disrupted, Catch burst into flames and burned to ash in seconds.
- As Jordan hurried through the woods, he found himself running with deformed, ghostly wolves. Slowly converging on him, they somehow warped space around themselves, leaving Jordan in front of the train station.
- Aaron had a brief run-in with "Jason" - the supernaturally-influenced many Carter, Emory, and Sara had spoken with before. He criticized the groups interference in things over their heads and eventually headed off to the north as Aaron continued south to the nearest bridge over the river.
- Aaron and Jordan met up at the train station and sneaked inside. They spied several gang members hanging out - and one that had, apparently, been shot by the others on the platform. They found the main hall of the station covered in webs, and 11 skeletons suspended in them.
- When Aaron, Emory, and Sara arrived, the 3 gang members present became aware of the group's presence and a brief firefight insued. One gang member was gunned down, and the other two fled in short order.
- The group converged on the main chamber, where the massive, distorted spider appeared - clearly agitated. Some of the group engaged it with gunfire - Jordan's "blessed" bullets offering some aid - while others attempted to dislodge the skeletons. The spider's attentions seemed clearly divided. The group eventually killed it, but Sara warned them that it was only its physical form that was destroyed. To keep it dead, they would need to recover and bury the skeletons as they had done the other two.
- By this time, the police were arriving. Sgt Bryonson seemed interested on keeping most of them out of the way, however. The group was escorted to the station, where questions were asked and answered. After a long night, they were released, and they set about making sure the spider demon did not return.
Having rid the city of the beast at the heart of the drug problem and the spider transformations, they were, perhaps, surprised that their lives did not significantly improve. Most lost their jobs over the next few weeks or months, always on shaky reasoning, and they continued to observe hints of the supernatural haunting them. Also, the Man in the Pin-Striped Suit was still out there somewhere, with his inscrutable motives.
Eventually, they all received a letter:
"We have been observing your activities for some time, and you show some promise. Welcome. Stand by for further instructions."
The letter was "signed" only with the logo of a black bird with one, large, human-like eye - overlayed with the single word: SCARECROW
End Chapter 1
|Monday October 3, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- As the black clouds above began to pour cold rain on them, the group set to work attempting to quickly dig some sort of grave in which to bury the bones they'd recovered, believing the lack of a proper burial for them is contributing to the spiritual unrest in town.
- As they made progress, the storm picked up and 4 wolves emerged from the forest. Believing the wolves to be connected to other events, the group attempted to avoid fighting them even though they displayed hostile behavior. Aaron got some sort of message from the wolves suggesting that something the group was doing was weakening them. When he petitioned for more information, something in the wolves changed - three of them ran off to the northeast, the other turned and retreated to the south.
- While Aaron and Jordan pursued the wolves, Carter, Emory, and Sara buried the bones. The Man in the Pin-Striped Suit appeared again, asking if they were sure that's what they wanted to do. He told them their actions would make them powerful enemies. The group largely ignored him, but he didn't interfere - disappearing after giving a final warning that there was no "going back".
- Jordan pursued the wolf to the south and encountered the ghost native the group had seen several times previously. Attempting to commune with the spirit, he began to meditate. The action seemed to engage the ghost, who passed on several impressions of the past.
- Aaron followed the other three wolves north to a place in the most run-down area of town at the heart of the storm which had moved over New Auburn, watching the shadow in the clouds above descend into an abandoned train station.
|Monday September 19, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group met at the marina the next morning with the intention of locating and recovering bones/skeletons that believe have some connection to past events. Jordan had rented a pontoon boat for the day, and had brought a number of "supplies" designed to combat or subdue any supernatural dangers that might present themselves. Once the others arrived, they set out onto the lake in their boat. They quickly found themselves driving in and out of thick pockets of fog being driven by the wind.
- Near one of the deepest parts of the lake, they found a mostly-whole skeleton floating on the surface. It began to break apart as they gathered the bones into the boat. As they attempted to maneuver the boat to gather the remainder of the small bones, they noticed they were drifting toward a patch of lake water deep in the fog that seemed to be bubbling.
- As they drifted into the bubbling water, the boat's engine died and bone fragments began to fall from the sky like rain, gradually increasing in side. As Emory and Aaron worked to get the boat running and others attempted to gather more bones they found floating in the water and scattered around the deck, shadows began to appear in the distance around them and overhead. The boat began to corrode and fall apart around them. The depth-finder read 9999.
- Emory managed to get the boat running as the indistinct form of a massive, spider-like creature emerged from the fog above them. Its carapace writhed and dripped with some dark liquid. It's round maw shrieked behind monstrous fangs and the eight, translucent yellow eyes that hovered in a ring above its head seemed to burn with yellow flame.
- Aaron managed to force the boat backward out of the bubbling water and away from the creature even as it tore the canopy from the craft. More concerned with escape than direction, he ran the boat all the way up onto the shore - the same place Carter had found himself after his hospital blackout.
|Monday September 5, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- After taking a couple of weeks to recover, the group once more began investigations. Carter, Emory, and Sara went to the run-down lower-east side of town to ask questions of the guy that found Carter in the lakeside park and took him back to the hospital.
- Locating the man took some time and "negotiation". When they did found him, he at first seemed unimpressed and uniterested in the their conversation. After moving to a somewhat more isolated location, he began to talk to them a bit more openly.
- The group learned little from the man regarding the questions they had - they did learn, however, that he himself had something of a supernatural nature. He told them that he had laid low for decades, doing his best to avoid the supernatural darkness that seeped into various corners of the world. In his experience, engaging that sort of evil only made things worse - and he strongly advised the others to follow his lead.
- Meanwhile, Jordan did his best to obtain any useful objects or materials that research and folklore suggested might be helpful in confronting the perils of the supernatural - and rented a boat in preparation to attempt to recover the floating bones Carter had seen on the lake...
|Monday August 22, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Whle Sara, Jordan, Emory, and Carter were all receiving treatment, Aaron decided to go back to the West Tenements to speak with Bethany about buying some of her charms.
- Bethany was quite intoxicated and seemed to have been crying. She became fixated on Sara and the watch and pleaded with Aaron to convince Sara to give her the watch. While they were still talking, Aaron heard gunshots. He arrived outside in time to see a man hurled through a glass tile wall by a massive, glowing humanoid wolf. The creature did not give chase, but Aaron and the man - who turned out to be the fugitive Elijah Sims - decided to leave the area anyway.
- Back at Sims' hideout, they talked over the things that had been going on. Sims knew nothing about "spiders" or "Niatha", but did know the local gangs were up to something bad. He had been hunting a small werewolf pack in the city for some time - his success in killing three of them so far had earned him a reputation as a serial killer. Sims agreed to offer whatever help he could as long as Aaron didn't tip off the department as to his whereabouts and activities. He did stress, however, that he had his own problems.
- Aaron returned to the hospital and told the others about his early-morning adventure. The group took the next week or two to fully recover. Nothing major happened while they laid low, but small incidents which they felt were related to the "problem" continued to bubble to the surface. They needed to form a plan. They would have to act on something - anything - and soon...
|Tuesday August 16, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Carter dragged Emory back into the room and pulled out the gun she still had on her as the man burst in. As the nurses and doctors followed him in, Carter decided to engage the massive guy in hand-to-hand instead of shooting. They traded a couple of blows before Carter tossed the gun on the bed where Emory picked it up and shot the man and he collapsed.
- Things weren't going much better back in the alleyway where the giant spider had attacked Jordan, Sara, Aaron and the injured man. The group strugged to get away, and were cut off from the injured man in the alleyway. They had mixed results fending off the persistent spider, but eventually made it back to Aaron's patrol car - though Jordan had to be carried. The creature attempted to stop the car from driving off and nearly succeeded in prying the roof off the vehicle before Aaron was able to drive them all to safety.
- Back at the hospital, the group reunited - several of them in pretty rough shape. After some treatment, Sara got a phone call around 4am. It was Owen. He told her he'd found something - some clue about their situation. He told her the only way to free an individual or environment from a demon's influence - short of somehow destroying it - was to close the door it came through...
|Monday August 8, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Sara, Jordan, and Emory had an interesting conversation with the priest Owen and his sister Crista. They had experienced some odd things themselves, and Owen showed them some photocopied pages of some old, partiall-burned documents that his predecessor had left him - documents that seemed similar to the occultic 'book of prophesy' Sara had found references to.
- Meanwhile Carter was visited again by the man who'd given him a ride back to the hospital. He said he'd gone back to the shore where he thought Carter had come from - and he saw some of the same disturbing things. He cautioned Carter not to pursue any of that too far, only saying that it was 'bad stuff'.
- Aaron went to meet his mysterious caller later that night. He was picked up in a limo and driven around a bit while "Sam" talked to him. Apparently, this man was a rival of Leon Catch, and wanted the police to know whatever was going on with the new drug Leon had been selling, they weren't involved and wanted the cops concentrating on Catch's territory (the East side).
- When he returned, he re-joined Sara and Jordan who'd been watching from nearby. Sara had heard something in an alley and was making her way to investigate. She found an injured man who seemed strange in some way. As they approached asking if them man needed help, the group of them were ambushed from above by a large, spider-like creature.
- Carter and Emory were awakened at the hospital by some commotion in the hallway. Emory stepped outside and saw a crazed and massive man pushing his way down the hallway against the efforst of nurses, aids, and doctors to restrain him. When the man saw Emory, he became enrage, grabbing a nearby metal cart and hurling it at her.
|Monday July 25, 2016 at 8:45pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan, Emory, and Sara made their way to the St Monessa Catholic Church at 8550 Newfield. After entering and looking around, Jordan and Emory decided to go up and talk with the priest while Sara hung back to observe. Jordan had been experiencing minor but worrying "reactions" since they entered, but these drastically intensified when he caught sight of a girl sweeping up in a corner of the sanctuary. At that moment, something seemed to trigger in the building resulting in the sound of a high-pitched, howling blowing through the building and the numerous candle flames becoming much taller and agitated. The young priest was momentarily shocked by this, exchanging a looking with the janitor, before pulling a gun on Jordan and demanding to know what he was. The two tried, now much more urgently, to explain some of what had been going on. The priest directed them out of the sanctuary, through the building, and into the crypt beneath it.
- Deep in the crypt, the priest was accompanied by two faintly-glowing men in white robes - one of whom was sent for the janitor. The other pushed Jordan into a small circular room and bound him to a worn wooden board with silver manicles. The janitor returned with two of the men in white robes and took up a position in the room, pulled out a small book from her clothing, and began singing. Emory demanded answers, eventually pulling her own gun on the priest who was now standing behind a sort of podium. When he began reading aloud in a strange language, Emory fired over his head. The priest remained focused on his task, but the shot did startle janitor who briefly faultered in her song. It was then that Sara, who had been stealthily observing from the shadows, emerged to place a hand on Emories arm. "It's an exorcism..."
|Monday July 18, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan's call to Sara telling her he's on his way woke her from unconsciousness. She was soaked with lake water, but the building appeared intact. Sara took another look around the now-peaceful house. She didn't find the book she was looking for, but did locate some volumes on the Arapaho containing burial practices, and a scrap of paper mentioning Father Brogan at St Monessa Catholic Church.
- After Emory got off work, the group met at the hospital in Carter's room. They had a lengthy discussion on what to do next, during which Aaron received another call from the dispatch telling him that somone had just called from the same payphone. Aaron called the number back and, after identifying himself, was told "here, 2am". Jordan, Sara, and Emory decided to go to the Catholic Church, leaving Carter alone in his room to recover.
- As Carter slipped into sleep, some part of his subconscious nearly panicked, recalling that sleep in this hospital has rarely been peaceful. He woke up to find himself in a log cabin with an elderly native woman who asked if he would listen to her when his grandfather had not. She told him that the "demon" must be stopped; banished; destroyed. It had preyed upon the community for too long, and many of them could not rest peacefully in their deaths. He saw a brief glimpse of what must have been the past from his window before his hospital room light came on and the vision faded.
|Monday June 20, 2016 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Carter took stock of his surroundings, noticing a partial(?) human skeleton on the shoreline amongst all the dead fish. His best guess placed him somewhere on the eastern shore of Lake Meijer, at least several miles from civilization and exposed to the elements. Seeing little option, he started on the hike back to the park where he talked his way into a ride back to the hospital.
- Sara took Carter's car and staretd on the drive out to his place. On the way there, she called Bethany who all but demanded the watch from Sara, but wouldn't exactly say why - only that it belonged to someone important to her. Sara wondered why she didn't seem to be so desparate when she'd first seen it. She made it the rest of the way to Carter's house, where she encountered the restless and angry spirit of a native american woman.
- Emory was called out to a house near the college, to what seemed to be the aftermath of a large house party. Kirk was already there talking with the landlord. The paramedics had been called to the scene for a young woman who was, by this time, lying dead in the kitchen of the house - her hands covered in black paint where she had drawn multiple, large eyes on the wall.
- Jordan made some phone calls to the others in the group, and then headed over to the house Sara had found in Kim's notes. The guy he met there seemed mostly interested in getting rid of him, but eventually divulged that he had once been a sort of middle-man in the employ of Leon Catch, taking money and arranging meetings between customers and Catch's dealers.
- Aaron remained in the hospital, still quite injured. He did get a phone call from the station, however, indicating someone called "Sam" was trying to get ahold of him...
|Monday June 13, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Unaware of other events taking place around town, Jordan continued looking into his family history, finding record of a man named "Albert Fitzgerald", who was a turn-of-the-century newspaper editor in town, and perhaps something of a historian. Jordan wanted to look at some of the old papers, but had trouble finding them online. He did happen to know, however, the the Public Library had reproductions of the city's papers going back over 100 years.
- The situation Emory and Aaron found themselves involved in continued to deteriorate. Officer Tamara began to transform into a spider creature after having been attacked by the looming mass above them, and the original deformed man attacking Aaron continued his assault. They decided to withdraw, most of them making their escape in the ambulance. Back at the hospital, there seemed to be some discrepancies between what the others saw and what Aaron and Emory knew had happened.
- After seeing to her studies for a while, Sara got distracted. She decided to do some online research into whether events similar to those occuring in New Auburn had happened before. She eventually discovered some ravings by a german doctor speaking about "a Corruption" - a patient and "spider-like" demon that erodes the hearts of "men closest the edge of the abyss", and "changes them into itself". When she returned to her room, she found it was a wreck, and words written in what looked like blood on the wall read: "I have new friends now, Sara... ...and they are angry."
- Carter awoke once again in the hospital to find all of the lights out - this time to something pushing its way through the drop-ceiling over his bed: a massive spider was looming above him, emerging from the ceiling. He ran out of his room into the darkened hallway and found two grotesque beings hunched over what looked like the body of a nurse. As he ran away, he caught site of Kim Jones - a dead student from the college - and, turning around, found himself face-to-face with a native american woman who's skin was pitted and rotting and who's hair and clothing seemed to float unnaturally around her. She reached out, placing her hands around his throat and sqeezing. Carter lost consciousness and, when he awoke, found himself on the shores of a lake, hundreds of fish floating dead in the water before him...
|Monday June 6, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Aaron and Emory arrived at the scene they were called to, shortly discovering the situation was still quite volatile. Aaron, Bryonson, Kirk, and Tamara engaged several fleeing suspects. Aaron encountered a deformed, spiderlike person in the allyway as something large loomed overhead.
- Emory and her partner were attempting to keep some distance from the scene until it was secure, but when one of the officers was injured, Bryonson called for them to come over. Emory began to have odd emotional sensations with no apparent cause, and the wounds on her back began to burn. She noticed her partner wasn't in the truck anymore, and thought she saw him heading out to the back of it. When she got there, she found the Man in the Pin-Striped Suit instead. He only spoke to her briefly, but her sourceless sensations intensified. When she looked up again, her partner was where the man had been, and they made ready to go assist the officers.
- On the way back from the gym, Sara had a brief conversation with a floor-mate, who told her that someone matching Bethany's description had been banging on her door, looking for her.
- Carter was resting in the hospital, when he noticed all of the power in his room had gone out, and he heard a scratching sound coming from a dark corner. Shining the light from his phone over there, he caught a brief glance of something silvery and ethereal fade from existence, leaving behind a silvery web.
|Monday May 30, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group made it back to town. Carter spent some time recovering in the hospital, as he was pretty severely injured. Sara and Jordan spent some time researching SCUBA thinking they may need to check out some odd mentionings about the lake. Emory and Aaron, however, went back to work.
- Aaron was called in to Lt Gray's office, and was assigned to Sgt Bryonson's unit which was canvassing neighborhoods and talking to potential witnesses to gang activities. The police department is currently stretched very thin with the somewhat sudden increase in gang and drug related violence in town. On one call, they happen upon a domestic disturbance which Aaron suspects might be related to the drug they'd previously encountered.
- Sara met with a student who gave her a rundown on how basic SCUBA diving works, but didn't have any equipment to loan and admitted he was fairly inexperienced.
- An emergency call went out to both Aaron & Bryonson's car and Emory's ambulance, describing an active situation in east-central New Auburn: describing gunfire and at least one body in the street...
|Monday May 9, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan awoke in his jail cell covered in sweat, as if from a horrifying dream he couldn't recall. He found the Man in the Pin-Striped Suit sitting in his cellmate's bunk with a newspaper. The man told Jordan that things were getting worse - that he should have accepted his offer. Jordan said he didn't believe him. The man's eyes glowed a vibrant yellow.
- As he dissolved into spider-like shadows and dissipated, Jordan heard his voice in his mind: "Will you save them, Fitzgerald? Can you do what must be done?" Jordan began to feel a tearing sensation in his forearms. Looking down, he saw strange, black writing gouged into his flesh: "The Hour Is Late" was on his left arm, and "8550 Newfield Lane" was on his right.
- Back at the hilltop cemetery, time seemed to freeze around Sara, and she began having a mental conversation with whom she believed to be the Man in the Pin-Striped Suit. He said he could tell her how to eliminate the monstrous spider creature that had nearly killed them if she would do something for him. The conversation got somewhat muddled, however, and Sara seemed less than cooperative. When time resumed, Sara grabbed the watch and ran away from the hilltop. The spider gave chase, but had some difficulty navigating the trees and undergrowth. As Sara pulled away, it returned to the others on the hill.
- Aaron and Emory were just barely able to "kill" the creature before it reached them and Carter, who'd be severely wounded and was unconscious. When they did, however, it seemed to explode into hundreds of cat-sized spiders that seemed to be quickly fleeing the area, but also striking out at anything they happened upon.
- When Sara reached the parking area the next day, she found that several days had actually passed. She called Kristine Cannon and convinced her to meet her and the two returned to the others in the woods. She seemed dubious of their claims of the events that had transpired, but did see the abundant webbing and the whole group noticed that some strange time distortion was happeneing in the area.
- The group headed back into town - most of them, to the hospital, though Emory went to meet Jordan to discuss recent events.
|Monday April 25, 2016 at 8:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (2) »|
- Aaron held out the pocketwatch for the ghost to take - asking if it wished to destroy it - but there seemed to be some sort of spiritual friction. The man held out a flickering, unnaturally-distorting hand toward Aaron and suddenly vanished. The watch began to burn Aaron's hand, and he dropped it.
- The watch burst "open", spewing something like blood and tar out across the clearing as a monstrous, spider-like creature pulled itself out of it. The creature seemed to grow larger and larger by the second, and the group opened fire at the unnatural creature.
- As it was injured, Sara found the pocketwatch and assessed it to be some sort of portal. She attempted to hold it closed, but it seemed to be pushing open against her and its surface burned her hands fairly severely. She and Emory finally managed to force it to stay closed.
- The now-massive demonic spider managed to thickly encase Aaron in webbing and mauled Carter before tossing him aside. Emory had sustained severe burns from the watch and was only semi-conscious. It was then that Sara saw the world seem to freeze in place and she heard a familiar voice just over her should: "So, this is interesting..."
|Monday April 11, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Fearing being arrested for murder, Jordan ran for it. Unfortunately, his car happened to be seen heading out of town. After a brief chase, he was apprehended.
- Aaron went to speak with Steve Carrol (the man who'd opened fire at the Sixth Street Bar some weeks earlier). He learned a little more about Leon Catch and the man in the pin-striped suit.
- While incarcerated, Jordan awoke in the middle of one night to find ghostly figures in his cell. The scenes seemed to have the flavor of an earlier time. Disturbed by the imagery, Jordan covered himself and attempted to blot out the wailing sounds - ultimately falling back to sleep.
- Aaron, Carter, Emory, and Sara went to find the place indicated by the map Carter had found on his grandfather's computer. It took them several hours to arrive, and while, they began to notice time seeming to slip away from them. At the site, which was said to be a cemetery, they found 13 stones bearing odd symbols with several smaller stones "connecting" them. Though only 4pm, darkness was falling, and they began to hear and see glimpses of wolves around the hilltop. It was here that a ghostly, half-wolf/half-man form appeared - distored, emaciated, twisted. It lashed out at the group, but Aaron, having pulled out the pocketwatch Sara had previously taken from the cave, called the beast to stand down - and this, shockingly, seemed to work. The ghostly wolf coalesced into the form of a native man - one they had seen before...
|Monday April 4, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Group further discussed what to do before splitting up.
- Carter found a pieces of information on his grandfather's computer network account at the college - an article about the New Tree Monument vandalism, a couple of emails relating to whatever project he was working on, and a map showing a mysterious location in the wilderness.
- Aaron and Jordan went to try to speak with Steve Carrol, the "Sixth Street Shooter", but he declined to see them. They sent him a letter the following day saying they wanted to talk about the man in the pin-striped suit.
- Sara and Emory went to speak with the witch, Bethany in the West Tenements, hoping she could point them toward Sims. Unfortunately, Bethany only had a brief encounter with the man a few weeks previous. She did seem interested in the pocketwatch Sara had found when it was mentioned, and later went to Sara's dorm room to search it for malevolent spirits.
- Sunday night, Aaron got a call from an officer buddy, Kirk Johnson, who wanted to meet him at the Saint Monessa Catholic Church. This seemed odd, so Aaron was wary. His friend told him that, while the police report said they didn't find anything in the cave, he saw something - a mutilated spider creature.
- Monday morning, Jordan was called into the radio station to talk with Cecil Perkins. This quickly took a turn for the worse when Perkins pulled a gun on him and insisted that he get "it" out of the station. As he got more and more agitated, a large bulbous shadow emerged from the walls just before the lights went out. Jordan could see eight glowing, yellow eyes and could feel Perkins struggling against him - and he was bitten. When he managed to get the door back open, a half-transformed Cecil collapsed onto the floor in time for Mark Wallace to see him laying motionless in a puddle of goo at Jordan's feet - and call the cops.
|Monday March 7, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Aaron ambushed the radio station intruder, who ran for it after a brief scuffle. Aaron gave chase, but the guy - whom he recognized as one of the men from the park - was too quick. Aaron saw a black car nearby pull out and past the station before speeding down the road.
- Sara, meanwhile, had been further investigating the pocketwatch she'd taken from the cash box in the cave at the park as it had some odd properties. The jeweler she'd spoken with told her that it wasn't working, but she had noticed that it always seemed to have the correct time. The inscription inside turned out to be a passage from the book of Job. When she pried open the back, however, she found the object seemingly full of blood and viscera, which poured out from the opening she'd made, along with the hot smell of death. The room, which had been subtly darkening for the past hour, began to pulse red and just before her light went out, she saw the shadow of a man in an old-fashioned hat and suit near the door to her room. Sara grabbed her things and ran out through her suitemate's room, calling Emory to come and get her.
- The group convened at Emory's house to discuss what to do next.
|Monday February 22, 2016 at 8:55pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Fearing the approach of sirens, the tow assailants fled the scene. Carter had made a valiant effort to detain them - or at least keep them off his friends - but the double-team ultimately proved too much and a serious blow to the back of his head all but removed him from the fight.
- Jordan pulled Emory's medical supplies from her trunk and, acting mostly on instinct, managed to stop her profuse bleeding. Seeing Carter still standing, Jordan decided to leave and get Emory to the hospital ASAP.
- Police and ambulances arrived next and, after questioning him, took Carter to the hospital as well.
- Sara fought with Damon's laptop a bit more - recovering no more information, but changing the password so as to keep others out. She then left the complex a reasonable distance, and quietly observed the aftermath of what was going on in the street where the shootout had taken place. She then walked to a nearby convenience store and, after distracting the owner, used the phone to leave some anonymous tips for the police about Damon and his drug ring.
- The group spent several days recovering. Aaron got hold of some copied police file info on Elijah Sims (whom Sara now recognizes as the man responsible for the shotgun damage to Emory's car) and Dakota Flores.
- Jordan went to plead his case to the station manager and, after a bit of persuading, managed to keep his job. Fearing that at least one of the gang knows who he is and where to find him, Jordan had Aaron accompany him on his first night back. At about the second commercial break, Aaron stepped outside the booth and noticed an approaching shadow in the hall...
|Monday February 8, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The party disbanded for the evening - Sara stayed with Emory, Jordan went with Carter, and Aaron went back to his place.
- Aaron, being pretty beat up, decided he needed a day to recover. The others decided the next day to head over to an address for the gang member who'd run away from the cave which Sara had acquired from the registration for his yellow jeep.
- Upon reaching the run-down apartment complex and determining the man wasn't at home, the group engaged in some misdirection to cover Jordan's picking the lock on the door. Once inside, they noticed the interior was nicely furnished for a run-down place. Sara found a laptop, which she was busy searching for information on "Catch" or her friend Kim when Carter told them someone was coming.
- They hurred out, running - almost literally - into the man who's apartment they'd been searching. Recognizing them from the cave before and seeing he was outnumbered, he turned and ran.
- The resulting chase took them up an neighboring alley and on to the adjascent street where the yellow jeep was parked. When the man reached the jeep, he reached inside, pulled out a pistol and fired it at his pursuers - about the time a nearby black sedan started and peeled out onto the road. Carter, who'd gone back for the car they'd come in, came barrelling up the alleyway in it, expertly skidding out onto the street.
- Carter slammed the car into the back of the jeep, and leapt out into the fray, the man in black sedan pulled around the other side began spraying the area with submachine gun bullets, injuring Emory and Jordan, as the man they'd been chasing tried to fight them off.
|Monday February 1, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Made aware of the approaching vehicle and guessing it was probably the man who'd fled during the confrontation in the cave along with more companions, the group made to hide.
- Just before the gang arrived, Aaron turned to find a tall, Native-American-looking man standing behind him. Startled he went to tackle the man, but found he passed right through his target, tumbling some distance down the hill. During a brief interaction with Jordan and one of the prisoners (who were halfway up the hill), the rest of the group was alerted to the approaching vehicle. The rest of the party, at the bottom of the hill, heard the sound of howling int he distance.
- Due to some impressive and convincing half-truths (and outright falsehoods) by Jordan, the rest of the group managed to get their two prisoners to hide with them, convincing one of them that they're buddy had betrayed them and that the approaching men were from a rival gang.
- From his position, Aaron was able to see a dark man in a coat with a heavily-bandaged head in the vehicle the gang had arrived in. He seemed to be calling the shots. More disturbing, however, he kept hearing a rustling in the leaves and brush getting closer - eventually growling the word "Niatha" in his ear. When Aaron finally turned the flashlight behind him, though, he found nothing.
- Carter had sneaked around to get a view of this area as well, and was keeping an eye on the situation form a position across the pathway from Aaron. He heard the rustling around him, too - though nothing more.
- The group left one of their prisoners who was injured, irritated, and had become belligerently uncooperative. The other they took with them back up to the shelter house and continued to talk with him, ultimately letting him go - convinced, for the moment, that the group was actually working for his emplyer - a man they'd heard of, known as "Catch".
- After the gang had gone, Aaron and Emory went down to check on the abandoned prisoner. They caught sight of the tall Native-American, heading toward the cave - this time, he seemed to be licked with flames. Shockingly, they found that the man they'd left had been brutally mutilated in the few minutes of their absence - his body showing deep claw-like gashes and his chest having been torn open. They think his heart may have been missing.
- The group also pulled out, having found out what they could from the park. They returned to Emory's place (Jordan's place being compromised as he was recognized by the prisoner they'd be talking with). On their way out, they heard on the radio that the downtown courthouse was burning down...
|Monday January 25, 2016 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group got what information they could from their captives, who were less than cooperative - one, because he was cold and critical, and another, because he was pretty heavily drugged. Still, they managed to learn a couple of things about the drug operation and how it related to other things they'd been encountering. They weren't quite finished formulating their next move when Aaron, having hiked back up to the shelter house for cell reception, noticed the headlights of a vehicle heading that way...
|Monday December 21, 2015 at 8:30am||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Carter descended into the ravine to do some scouting, finding a cave from which a loud, motor-like noise and the strong smell of dead things were issuing. Seeing no sentries, he called the others down.
- The group proceeded into the cave one by one, but sticking fairly close together. They followed the sound and hints of light down through some steep and narrow passages.
- At the bottom, they found several tables full of marijuana plants with sun lamps powered by a lound gas generator. The three men they'd seen earlier where all at the far side of the room near what seemed to be a gaping crack in the floor of the large cavern - they were pulling something out of it with chains.
- The group entered the cavern and were spotted. One of the men pulled a pistol and began firing on them, but another seemed to be trying to stop the shooting. The thing they were dragging out of the pit at first seemed human, but as they got a better look at it, had obviously inhuman qualities. When it finally emerged entirely from the pit, they found it to have a massive, spider-like abdomen protruding from a humanoid torso. The three men seemed...surprised...by this.
- What insued was a collection of uncoordinated and conflicting attempts to control the situation. The spider creature attempted to free itself from its chains and set upon its captors, one of the three men seemed to be attempting to subdue the creature with a tranquilizer gun, another, panicked, grabed a submachine gun and began wildly spraying the room with bullets, while the third seemed intent on firing upon the interlopers. The party divided its efforts between keeping the creature at bay and subduing the three possible human assailants.
- Due to the latter's state of disarray combined with some good fortune, the group was actually able to come out ahead with little harm. Aaron subdued the man attempting to shoot at him - having successfully shot his gun arm and then bludgeoning him with his baton - his bulletproof vest doing a sufficient job of keeping him from mortal injury. With some additional fire support from Emory, Carter put several good shots into the spider creature with his hunting rifle as it attempted to free it self such that, by the time it had, it seemed to prefer retreat rather than combat. Jordan tackled the man wildly shooting an automatic weapon, which Sara relieved him of. The blonde man attempting to tranquilize the creature, seeing it about to free itself and his comrads subdued by the intruders, hesistated for a moment before dropping the gun and running. Sara pursued him, but he seemed to know the cave well and was much too quick. By the time she reached the base of the ravine up to the shelter, he was already in his jeep heading down the road. Sara was, however, able to prevent the other man - the one who'd panicked - from escaping when she intercepted him on his way out.
- The group was left with two "prisoners" and the remains of some kind of drug operation. It looked fairly standard at first glance, but upon closer inspection, they found that joints being manufacturered from the growing plants were additionally being soaked in a red-orange goo. They found a few more mason jars full of the stuff in a nearby safe. Before it had retreated, they had all seen the same substance oozing from the creature's mouth and abdomen...
|Monday December 14, 2015 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (1) »|
- The group packed up and headed out to Pine Rock State Park around noon. They noticed the road and shelter were not on the current maps given out by the park. They found the old road on their way to the campground - it was overgrown and had a rusted yellow gate barring vehiclular entrance.
- Once they set up at the campground, the drove back down to the gate and hiked up to the pavilion. When they were getting close, Sara sneaked ahead and found that there were three men - probably in their 20s - present with a grill, a cooler, some paper cups, and other such things.
- The group as a whole then emerged and greeted the three, and were subsequently told that there was about to be a bit of a private party in an hour or so - with a thinly veiled suggestion that the intruders leave. Being a bit suspicious, the group proceeded to pry a bit - both directly and indirectly - and examined the area. One of the men in particular seemed a bit more jumpy than the other two. Several behaviors from all three seemed odd, but there wasn't really any hard evidence that they were doing anything nefarious. Sara did notice a worn pathway leading down into the ravine behind the shelter.
- The situation almost turned ugly when Aaron, successfully baiting one of the men, attempted to open the cooler to get a beer and was met with a degree of aggression not quite in keeping with a minor social faux pas. Carter successfully difused the situation and the group ultimately withdrew amid lingering tensions.
- Deciding something was definitely up, the group decided to stage a stake-out. Carter, in full hunting camo, made his way to the hilltop above the shelter just before dusk. He wasn't able to see into the shelter much from his vantage point, but he was able to keep an eye on the area and could hear the general sounds of conversation. No one else ever arrived for the "party", and, just after dusk, the group of men left the shelter, heading down into the ravine...
|Monday December 7, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan had been somehow abducted, apparently by a man in an odd, old suit who definitely did not have yellow eyes. They had a...pleasant...conversation wherein the man told Jordan he had been cursed and that the only way to remove the curse was the eliminate an old spiritual presence. Jordan, unsure of this man's motives, basically told him thanks but no thanks, and that he would address his...situation...himself. Upon leaving, he found himself outside a cabin deep in the forest north of the city. He fought his way through the forest and back to the city over the next 24 hours.
- The group took a couple of days to recover from injuries and collect some thoughts. During this time, Sara met with a friend of the missing sculptor of the New Tree Monument and acquired some of Kim's old school notes. Aaron received a call from Kristine cautioning him about being too vocal about his more "interesting" theories. Carter got a voicemail from the history chair at CSU Fort Collins who'd found out he'd previously tried to contact the late James Hannelbrock.
- The group met on friday night to discuss things again. They decided they were going to go and investigate the shelter house marked on the park map Aaron found in the abandoned apartment building. They're making ready to go on a "camping trip" - they'll check out the place during the day and, if they find nothing, head back at night...
|Monday October 26, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Sara was listening to Jordan's late-night radio show when it returned from commercial and went to dead air. Concerned, she called Carter and the two of them decided to head over to the station to see what was up. As they were arriving, they saw a young man break into the building. When they went in to investigate, they found themselves cornered by a werewolf. A brief encounter resulted, ending when the wolf creature fled the building. There was no sign of Jordan, but the radio booth was full of spider webs.
- Aaron got a call from Kristine saying that she thought their best bet for getting back into the basement of that abandoned building was to try sooner rather than later - and decided they were heading back right then. When they arrived, they found that the place was inhabited by one of the thugs from earlier. They set a bit of a trap to catch him, which didn't exactly work and he escaped. The two found their way into the basement where they found the remains of a drug operation that was no longer present. Aaron did notice some anchors in the walls and some dried orange-red goo. As they were leaving, he also found a map of Pine Rock State Park which had circled a remote shelter house. On their way back to the car, they were ambushed by a larger group of thugs with automatic weaponry, from which they narrowly escaped.
|Monday October 19, 2015 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (2) »|
- Emory and Jordan begin noticing increasing webbing in the closet they're hiding in, though they see no spiders. Emory is brushed by something a couple of times and ultimately "attacked", receiving two, painless puncture wounds coated with an orange-red goo - accompanied by sudden hallucinations of eyes, a strange warmth, and some senses. Jordan frantically re-jimmys the door to permit their escape, slamming it shut behind them.
- The group re-assembles back at Jordan's apartment, where Aaron and Sara try to assist in treating Emory's wounds under her direction. They turn out to be much worse than suspected, however, and the efforts cause Emory to weaken dramatically. They do manage to get her somewhat stabilized and decide it's time to go to the ER.
- While Sara and Aaron take Emory to the hospital, Carter and Jordan head to the City Square Park to look at the New Tree Monument. Carter notices that the negative spaces between the branches of the stylized tree form symbols associated with the tribes that once inhabited this area - and that one of them was slightly mis-formed: the sculpture had been vandalized about a year and a half ago and "restored" about six months later...though, apparently, not completely.
- Jordan heads to the studio around midnight to do his show, which he gives a spider theme for the evening. Several interesting stories are called in, including a china doll that wraps itself in webs, an abandoned building full of webs containing dead animals, webs appearing in hospital rooms seeming to indicate a sudden patient death, and a kid who said he saw a giant spider "belonging" to an old man in a suit. As the show is concluding, he notes a strange web in the corner of his studio and the reflection of a large shadow behind him...
|Monday October 12, 2015 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Aaron met detective Kristine Cannon to check out the address on the mysterious note with a killer's fingerprints he'd received. They found that, despite the building's 'abandoned' status, there were signs of recent passage and habitation. They found that the nails boarding up the door to the basement were new, but Kristine was accosted by some local thugs while retrieveing a crowbar from her vehicle. The thugs made a show of threatening them to leave the building, which they did. Someone is apparently watching it for some reason.
- Sara went to the Lake Meijer Marina and talked to Jennifer about the late Eric Riley. She told Sara that he was an avid outdoorsman, and they found a record of a cancelled pontoon and "extended guide services" reservation for Hector Hall originally made for the day after Riley's untimely death. There was nothing else on record indicating the purpose of the outing, though Jennifer did recall that his personal SCUBA gear was later found in one of the storage lockers.
- Carter went home after their meeting to look through his grandfather's things a bit more thoroughly. In doing so, he came across a bit of a shredded document to the Society for American Archeaology talking about a new site, some print-out bathymetry with some marks on the deepest places, a newspaper clipping talking about the delayed repairs to the New Tree Monument, and a note about the Algonquin word "mahigan" in the margin of an unusual book on Arapaho dialects.
- Jordan and Emory decided to take a look at the basement where Sara had encountered some apparition that resembled Kim Jones. They were accosted by one of the professors who, not recognizing them, asked what he could do to help. They played off their presence as looking for an old professor of Jordan's from when he took classes at the college - an effort which was partially successful. When the managed to make it to the basement, they found that it looked very different from what Sara described: namely cleaner, well-lit, and possessed of a completely different layout. Though they did notice one of the odd spider webs in a corner, it wasn't until Jordan picked the lock on a utility closet that they discovered anything that matched Sara's story: an old, beat-up classroom desk. Among the graffiti, they noticed the words "help me" gouged into one corner. They were trying to photograph the desk when the door at the top of the stair openened and Emory pulled Jordan inside.
|Monday September 28, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Aaron and Emory explained to the arriving authorities what had happened - leaving out certain details. They said that the dead druggie had attacked them in a frenzy and that they were forced to shoot him in self-defense. Their story was convincing, but they still spent most of the rest of the day at the Department. Aaron was placed on "administrative leave", though he still received a call from Kristine Cannon asking if he was still joining her at 1101 Harriet Avenue.
- Jordan took a walk down the street from the "General Store" and found some unusual evidence at the entrance to a boarded-up post office: bent window bars, large slash marks, and silvered buckshot embedded in the front door.
- The party met later in the day to discuss what they'd learned and to determine what to do next. They suggested visiting the Marina to see if they could determine for what Dr Hall had needed Eric Riley. Sara considered contacting Kim's parents to see if she could acquire any journals or notes. Carter is going to dig into his grandfather's artifacts. Jordan is planning to run a "spider themed" show tonight. Emory is sure there is some connection between some of what's going on to the drug problems in New Auburn, but isn't sure exactly how to pursue it.
|Monday September 7, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- The group headed to the "west tenements", a poor and isolated area of the city. After pulling off to take a look at a dead dog lying in the middle of the street, they decide to continue on foot.
- Most of the group move on to talk to an old man sitting on his front porch. He seems reluctant to talk to outsiders, but eventually tells them that "the witch" at the "general store" is responsible for the dreamcatcher-like charms hanging from many of the buildings - charms that bear a pattern identical to the strange spider web Jordan saw.
- The group then proceeds to the old general store, which is now full of strange charms, talismans and totems. They call for the proprietor - when she finally arrives, she seems most unhappy to see them, calling them outsiders and telling them their auras are "out-of-phase" with this locale.
- Aaron stays back, he notices another of the strange spider webs. This leads him to the basement of one of the buildings, covered in them. After calling out, he hears someone upstairs who seemed as though he might be in some trouble. Emory arrived to join him at this point, and they find a man collapsed upstairs injecting something into his arm. They start to call 911, when the man begins to convulse, sprouting spider legs, fangs, and 6 additional yellow eyes. The creature is hostile, but seems un-accustomed to its form. As it springs upon them (biting Aaron a few times), they fire on it, eventually bringing it down as it is stuck in the doorway - at which point, its monstrous appendages begin to dissolve into goo, leaving a man with multiple bullet wounds.
|Monday August 24, 2015 at 8:00pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- After having discussed the experiences themselves, the group moved on to examine the histories, contexts, and possible meanings and connections between them. After some consideration, they decided to follow Jordan's suggestion see what they could learn in the "west tenements", a poor corner of the city, which they plan to do in the late morning the following day.
|Monday August 17, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan recieved a phone call from a strange woman asking to meet and talk to him about strange happenings, having heard about him through his radio show. They decided to meet at the Sixth Street Bar. While there, one of the guys at the bar cracks and pulls a gun on another man - a gentleman in an old-fashioned-looking pin-striped suit. Shots were fired, and chaos broke loose. Aaron had been walking his beat nearby and heard the disturbrance. He and Jordan eventually talked him down. The man seemed convinced the other gentleman was some kind of "monster".
- On the way to the "meeting", Sara and Emory had an encounter with a large man who ran into their car, and another guy who was chasing after him with a shotgun. They attempted to intervene in the scene, but after a brief exchange, the chase continued away from them. They called 911 to report the incident and continued to the meeting.
- The group convened at Jordan's place to discuss recent happenings including the break-in at Carter's office, "ghosts", hallucinations, transformations, dreams, unusual injuries, spiders, and some odd historical documents. They're now examining all of this for patterns or clues as to what to do about it.
|Monday August 10, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Jordan found his way into the room with the PC controlling the security cameras. Perkins apparently isn't especially tech-savvy, so gaining access to what he was searching for was pretty simple. The videos showed a strange man in the booth with him that night, and a black smoke pouring out of his headphones and eyes.
- Meanwhile, Carter Hall had arrived home after a days' work to find what appeared to be a journal belonging to his late grandfather sitting on the coffee table, a pen sitting next to it. Most of the entries were mundane and somewhat boring, but toward the end - about 6 months or so before his death - they became disorganized and unexplained. The last entry contained the current date with words scrawled across the lines in Hector's handwriting: "They're watching me. They've always been watching me."
- Aaron sent a text message to the others saying that he thought they ought to get together a bit sooner than originally planned. Most of them agreed.
- The following morning, Aaron talked with Kristine Cannon, New Auburn's homicide detective. She told him that they were going to look into the location described in the note he'd received, and Aaron asked to be involved. After a minute or two, Krisitine suggested that they go check it out the next evening.
- Sara saw Kim Jones - her ghost, or someone that looked just like her - going into the basement of the Richardson Building, and followed. Downstairs she found a dark and damp room containing pipes and conduits, with Kim sitting at a single desk in the middle of an opening. When Sara finally got close enough to get the girl's attention, the being turned on her with milky white eyes, distorted features and over-long limbs. Sara fought through the darkness back up to the first floor, where she found large spiders crawling on her.
|Monday July 27, 2015 at 7:30pm||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
- Aaron got a strange note indicating the address of an old, abandoned apartment building. He had someone at the station check it for finger prints and they found a partial match - that of a wanted serial killer in a case 10 years cold.
- Jordan got strange call on his radio show and now only remembers pieces of the rest of the night - though a co-worker said he saw him chased out of the building by a big guy.
- Sara looked up some info on Dr Hannelbrock - the colleague who'd sent the package to the late professor Hall - only to discover that he died in a car accident right around the time the package was postmarked. Later that night, she was awakened by sounds in her bathroom: the faucet & shower were on, and she heard talking. Sara recognized Kim's voice inside, speaking in an increasingly agitated tone, punctuated by the sounds of objects flying across the bathroom and slamming into the walls. The door was locked; by the time she got inside, whoever it was was gone.
- Carter contacted campus security in order to see if the cameras caught any images of the man Sara had seen coming from his office when they discovered it had been trashed. Only two cameras showed images of the man - it's as if he came from nowhere and disappeared when he left that one hallway.
- Emory and her partner got a call for a collapsed man in the middle of an east-side street and advised that he might be intoxicated. When they arrived the man looked deformed, had some odd injuries, and seemed terrified out of his mind. He pulled a gun and shot, winging the paramedic, but subsequently collapsed and stopped breathing. He was disarmed by Sgt Bryonson who was at the scene. The emergency responders tried to revive him, but it was too late.
- After being denied by Cecil Perkins, the station manager, Jordan and Aaron consider how to get access to the station's security camera footage.
|Monday July 20, 2015 at 8:00am||world of darkness, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
Finished character creation/tweaks, cooperatively devised scenario wherein the group met and began investigating these things together.
- Sara sees a strange man coming from Carter's office; the two of them find it trashed. Carter receives a package addressed to his late grandfather containing a fragment of an unusual 19th-century letter.
- Aaron and Emory are present at a gang-shootout aftermath, finding a mostly-dissolved body in addition to three men shot to death. While they give chase to a man fleeing the scene, someone lights the dissolved body on fire.
Game schedule has been decided as "most" mondays, looking at a start time between 7:30pm and 8pm.
|Monday July 13, 2015 at 8:00pm||new campaign, new auburn chronicle, game session notes||Comments (0) »|
The New Auburn Chronicle is a (New) World of Darkness campaign set in a small city called New Auburn, located in the foothills of the Rockies in Colorado. It is intended to be a short-to-medium length campaign.
The PCs are a group of people who have witnessed the supernatural to some small degree, and are on the lookout to protect the city of New Auburn from its influence.
We did character creation for this game tonight. There are still some lingering details to be filled in, but most of the mechanical creation has been done.
- Sara Cruise [Sheri] :: a history/literature student at New Auburn College
- Aaron Taggert [Tony] :: a local police officer with a minor reputation as a nut due to some supernatural reports
- Carter Hall [Adam] :: a history/archeaology professor at New Auburn College
- Jordan Fitzgerald [Tim] :: a local radio dj who hosts a late-night show on the paranormal
- Emory Tate [Keara] :: a local paramedic
The current plan is to play this game on monday ("crackle") nights. We'll see how it goes.